Red Hook Sandy benefit with Stew, Steve Earle and literary starts; Jogja Hip Hop @LCAtrium, Tuku @ globalFEST

  • activecultures@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2012
      Quick greetings from Cambodia, where I am having an incredible experience visiting the Cambodia Youth Arts Festival, meeting with artists, biking thru the floodplains along the Mekong, and more....

      While I'm not in town, wanted to tell you about a few events that I'd be at if I were there....

      First, congrats and thanks to all of you who helped make Barack Obama our president for 4 more years.  While many of us were slightly quieter this time, many also gave money, made phone calls, knocked on doors, organized dinners, posted the hell out of Facebook and Twitter, or simply, but most fundamentally, voted. We did it. And started to show the true face of he real America.

      Second, thanks to all of you who have been working on Sandy relief efforts - whether the Far Rockaway, Red Hook, Lower East Side, Staten Island, Long Island - many of us are dealing with a level of devastation we never imagined.  Many of my friends have been volunteering, donating, helping with demo/construction, making runs to bring needed supplies, sending items from the brilliant OccupySandy gift registry http://www.amazon.com/registry/wedding/32TAA123PJR42
      or housing friends and family in need of heat, power or a place to stay.Keep doing what you are doing, and show what community means.

      In that regard, tonight - Kurt Anderson hosts Defiance, a benefit for Red Hook post-Sandy, featuring musical performances By Stew and Steve Earle, and readings from Ben Katchor, Mary Karr, Chuck Klosterman, Phillip Lopate, and more.  Bigup to Jody Rosen for co-organizing, and Brice Rosenbloom for hosting it at Littlefield.  https://www.facebook.com/events/370502119704359/

      On another note:

      Tomorrow - Indonesia's Jogja Hip Hop Foundation bring their unique brand of rap to the David Rubenstein Atrium in a free concert as part of the Centerstage US program, a fantastic new State Department program created to support smart diplomacy thru culture. I saw them about a year ago at the Asia Society, who are helping us co-present the show, and they are exciting performers who really bring their local pop and gamelan influences to music born right here in NYC. Here's what CBS news has to say about them: http://events.newyork.cbslocal.com/newyork_ny/events/target-free-thursday-jogja-hip-hop-foundation-/E0-001-051242174-1

      Target Free Thursdays
      Thurs, Nov 15, 730 pm
      FREE, no tix required
      (come early, it gets full)
      www.lincolncenter.org/atrium

      And finally..

      Legendary Zimbabwean star Oliver Mtukudzi (aka "Tuku") has just been announced as the 12th and final artist in the 10th anniversary edition of globalFEST, taking place at Webster Hall on Sunday, January 13, 2013.  Read more about it here:

      Remember, last year sold out in advance. Get your tickets now: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00004956D97DFB1A

      That's it from here - gotta get up early to go to Battambang in the morning...looking forward to seeing some of Cambodia's countryside on the journey.  For more about the reason for my trip, check out www.CambodianLivingArts.org, and get ready for April and May's festival in NY http://seasonofcambodia.org/

      All the best,

      Bill