SOUL at the Center - final amazing week @LCOutofDoors! Plus globalFEST in France and Joshua Light Show

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2012
      Lincoln Center

      We’re getting into the home stretch of Lincoln Center Out of Doors – but what a week we have – more NY and US debuts (Alaev Family, Kuenta i Tambu), a hearkening back to the 40th Anniversary of 1972 and 1973’s Soul at the Center festivals (read more about it from one of our  Stoned Soul Symposium presenters, Gayle Wald, from Channel Thirteen’s blog – including how Ashford & Simpson made their debut as a duo at the event http://www.thirteen.org/soul/about-soul/host-ellis-haizlip-andsoul-history/), a n amazing double bill of dance music and slow jams with  (Chk Chk Chk)  and “Cause I Love You” crooner Lenny Williams,  all-star tributes to Laura Nyro and Gil Scott-Heron, our weekend long celebration of poetic traditions, La Casita, and a day of socially conscious artists, ranging from Taylor Mac to Aloe Blacc, Erin McKeown to Tom Paxton to Pura Fe to Swamp Dogg…including another collaboration with the Ponderosa Stomp with a songwriter circle of some of Soul music’s finest, both as part of our 29th annual Roots of American Music festival…Read below for more info….

      Keep reading below for info about two upcoming globalFEST events – a daylong celebration of global diaspora expressions in NYC at a castle in the outskirts of Paris at Festival D’ile de France – and a just announced collaboration with the world famous Joshua Light Show featuring Debo Band and Forro in the Dark at NYU’s Skirball Center on Sept 16.

      If you missed Phil Kline’s dreamcitynine (reviewed in the NY Times here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/arts/music/phil-klines-dreamcitynine-at-lincoln-center-out-of-doors.html), you can still download the GPS-enabled app to hear the text pieces on iOS http://itunes.apple.com/app/dream-city-nine/id545024164?mt=8 or Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockmoretech.art.dreamCityNine or stream on Q2Music http://www.wqxr.org/#!/articles/q2-music/2012/jul/30/download-phil-klines-emdreamcitynineem/

      And speaking of the NY Times, they also reviewed Heidi Latsky Dance’s GIMP http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/arts/dance/heidi-latsky-dance-performs-gimp-at-lincoln-center.html

      While the scheduled review of Kimmo Pohjonen & Helsinki Nelson’s Accordion Wrestling hasn’t run yet, two insightful blog reviews have come out (that I’ve seen)

      "I’m not really sure what’s going on here, but you have to admit it’s impressive." http://www.lifewithluggage.com/finnish-accordion-wrestling/

      So Pohjonen and director Ari Numinen decided, “hey, what the heck, this sounds interesting, let’s adapt it for the stage” and … voila! … you have it: Kimmo Pohjonen and Helsinki Nelson: Accordion Wrestling at Lincoln Center…right there in the shadow of the Metropolitan Opera. Talk about juxtaposition.I’m seriously glad I went because a) I apparently need more culture; and, b) this was really entertaining and downright interesting.  Most of us were shaking our heads and laughing (me definitely DURING) after and it seems everyone was quite enthusiastic about this sport-art, played out under the stars in New York City on a beautiful summer night. http://nycnewsproducer.wordpress.com/2012/08/04/accordion-wrestling-sport-or-art/

      Lastly, photographer Darial Sneed has been taking some wonderful photos at LCOOD, including some shots at GIMP, the Chio-Tian Folk Drum and Arts Troupe and Heritage Sunday’s Haitian program.  You can find her galleries here: http://eveningsong.smugmug.com/Dance.  She also has a Nile Rodgers & CHIC gallery on her home page.

      Don't miss the final week of amazing free events.

      From the down-and-dirty punk-funk sounds of !!! (Chk Chk Chk), to a heartfelt tribute to Nick Ashford by music icon Valerie Simpson, to the musical and spoken word event La Casita, to the 29th Annual Roots of American Music Festival—featuring performances by William Bell, Teenie Hodges, Erin McKeown & her Fine Parade, Taylor Mac, Aloe Blacc, and all-star tributes to Laura Nyro and Gil Scott-Heron, and many more—this summer's Out of Doors Festival ends with a week of incredible free performances! Don't miss out!

      Come on down to Lincoln Center!

      The Final Week:

      Times are estimated set times for each artist. Artists are listed in reverse order of appearance. For more details on set times visit LCOutOfDoors.org.

      Dr. L Subramaniam: Global Fusion

      Joined by Kavita Krishnamurthi Suramaniam, Ambi Subramaniam, Bindu Subramanian, Larry Coryell, and Corky Siegel

      The Alaev Family (NY debut!)

      Carnatic violin virtuoso Lakshminarayana Subramaniam mixes the high-wire rhythms of Indian classical music with the harmonic sophistication of its European cousin.

      The Alaev Family, produced by Balkan Beat Box’s Tamir Muskat,  blends together the ecstatic Bucharian groove sounds of central Asia alongside lyrics by Tajiki poets.

      Wednesday, August 8 at 7:30

      Damrosch Park Bandshell

      RSVP

      !!! (Chk Chk Chk)
      Lenny Williams

      Nobody throws a dance party like !!!, who've been reviving the funky sounds of '70s and '80s New York City since forming in Sacramento in 1996.

      Lenny Williams is the voice behind Bay Area R&B stars Tower of Power's hit single "What is Hip?" and went on to have a flourishing solo career with hits like "You've Got Me Running" and the classic slow jam "Cause I Love You."

      Thursday, August 9 at 7:30

      Damrosch Park Bandshell

      RSVP

      Valerie Simpson & Friends: A Tribute to Nick Ashford

      Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble

      Ashford and Simpson crafted some of pop music's most indelible hits: "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "I'm Every Woman." Valerie Simpson pays a heartfelt tribute to her late partner in art and life with the help of talented collaborators from Ashford & Simpson’s Sugar Bar.

      Denver's Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble has been exploring cross-cultural dance for more than four decades. Tonight's performance features the premiere of Jeanguy Saintus’s Fusion, plus Lush Life, Arranged, and excerpts from Spiritual Suite.

      Friday, August 10 at 7:00

      Damrosch Park Bandshell

      RSVP

      La Casita

      Slam poets, hip-hop poets, deaf poets, Mayan poets, and Last Poets test the limits of versification, while global musicians explore where tradition meets cutting edge.

      MC: Simply Rob

      featuring Abiodun Oyewole, Advocate of Wordz, Gypsee Yo, Aneta Brodski & Tahani, Briceida Cuevas, Charlie Chin, KiT (Kuenta I Tambú), Mireya Ramos & 809 Ladies Band, Said Damir, and many more!

      Saturday, August 11 from 12:00–5:30

      Hearst Plaza

      RSVP

      Sunday, August 12 from 3:00–8:00

      Teatro Pregones, 571–575 Walton Ave, Bronx

      RSVP

      29th Annual Roots of American
      Music Festival

      Stoned Soul Symposium

      Author Michele Kort leads a panel on the work of Laura Nyro. Professor Gayle Wald presents a talk on the landmark Soul at the Center festival. Cultural critic Greg Tate moderates a panel on the legacy of Gil Scott-Heron, his collaboration with Brian Jackson, and more.

      Saturday, August 11 at 12:30–4:00

      New York Public Library for the Performing Arts

      RSVP

      29th Annual Roots of American

      Music Festival

      -Otis Clay & The Platinum Band

      -Soulful Songwriters Circle: featuring William Bell, Teenie Hodges, and          Dan Penn, moderated by Nelson George

      -The Triple Goddess Twlight Revue:

      Celebrating the Music of Laura Nyro

      -Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls All-Stars Band: Sister Songwriters

      Gospel-soul king Otis Clay's raw, fiery vocals drove '60s hits like "Nickel and Nails" and "She's About a Mover."

      Songs and the stories behind them come to life with master songsmiths including Stax's William Bell (“You Don’t Miss Your Water”, the Hi Rhythm Section's Teenie Hodges (“Take Me to the River”), and Dan Penn (“Do Right Woman”), moderated by Nelson George.

      Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member Laura Nyro is celebrated here by Labelle members Nona Hendryx and Sarah Dash, Desmond Child & Rouge, Melissa Manchester, Melba Moore, Kate Ferber and others.

      Drummer LaFrae Sci leads the Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls All-Stars Band, a multigenerational supergroup of students, grads, and teaching artists.

      Saturday, August 11 at 5:00

      Damrosch Park Bandshell

      RSVP

      29th Annual Roots of American

      Music Festival

      -Erin McKeown and Her Fine Parade

      -Taylor Mac

      -Tom Paxton

      -Daniel Kahn & The Painted Bird

      -Pura Fé Trio

      Do politics belong in music? They sure do, especially when delivered as entertainingly as by this handful of radically independent singer-songwriters.

      Sunday, August 12 at 12:00–5:30

      Hearst Plaza

      RSVP

      29th Annual Roots of American

      Music Festival

      -Pardon our Analysis: An All-Star Gathering for Gil Scott-Heron

      featuring Black Rock Coalition Orchestra

      -Aloe Blacc

      -Swamp Dogg

      The BRC Orchestra, with artistic direction by Latasha N. Nevada Diggs,  pays tribute to the poetry and music of Gil Scott-Heron with his longtime collaborator Brian Jackson plus Sapphire, Martha Redbone, Sandra St. Victor, Hanifah Walidah, Willie Perdomo and more special guests. Scott-Heron heir Aloe Blacc tempers contemporary social commentary with smooth soulful singing and soul genius Jerry "Swamp Dogg" Williams performs his socially conscious and often downright demented music – Total Destruction to Your Mind.

      Sunday, August 12 at 6:00

      Damrosch Park Bandshell

      RSVP

      Lincoln Center