Week two of Midsummer Night Swing starts tonight! plus Deep Space in the BK

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2012
      Week two of Swing starts tonight!

      It was an amazing first week of Midsummer Night Swing.

      Our opening night with Nelson Riddle Orchestra (see some of Bill Cunningham’s photos in yesterday’s NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/07/01/fashion/01PARTY.html

      A fantastic night of Mexican cumbia with el Rebelde de Acordeón, Celso Piña: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiFEofQX5f4

      A rave review for the US debut of Charlie Watts and the ABC&D of Boogie Woogie in Jazztimes: http://jazztimes.com/articles/30474-the-abc-d-of-boogie-woogie-at-lincoln-center-6-28-12

      Hot, hot, hot show by New Orleans Meschiya Lake (who will be back singing with Crytzer’s Blue Rhythm Band TONIGHT) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAar2uYngZw

      And a jam-packed celebration of Orquesta Broadway 50th Anniversary, in which Eddy and Ruddy Zervigon were presented with a proclamation from the NY City Council in honor of their cultural achievements.

      We have a really amazing and varied schedule lined up for you this week: Swing, Boogaloo & Salsa, Bhangra, Zydeco, and rock n soul….

      Tonight, it’s the NY debut of Glenn Crytzer’s battle-winning Blue Rhythm Band for the Lindy Hoppers. (on my way there as soon as I hit the send button)

      Tomorrow night, since there’s no work on Wednesday, we have a very special celebration of boogaloo and salsa with the legendary Johnny Colon, plus DJ Turmix spinning the tracks that have made him NYC’s most important new generation boogaloo ambassador.

      We’re dark on Wednesday, so if you want to keep dancing, scroll down to read about Francois K and Deep Space’s very special Brooklyn edition at Dekalb Market, with King Britt, Ilhan Ersahin (who will be part of Istanbulive at Lincoln Center Out of Doors) and more.

      Thursday night, we celebrate the 15th anniversary of DJ Rekha’s Basement Bhangra with a rare US appearance by one of the pioneers of UK bhangra, DCS.  Plus, if you bring your ticket stub to SOB’s for the official afterparty, you’ll get reduced $10 admission before midnight.

      Friday night, we bring southwestern Louisiana to NYC with zydeco’s Creole Cowboy, Geno Delafose & French Rockin’ Boogie.

      And Saturday night, we have a double bill we’re especially excited about.  The hot rising r&b-infused rock n roller, JD McPherson (featured this weekend on NPR: http://www.npr.org/event/music/155353052/jd-mcpherson-from-little-kids-to-little-richard?ft=1&f=1039)  and New York Night Train’s beloved soul dj Jonathan Toubin, who has recently returned to the scene.  After our sound curfew, Toubin will continue djing in our first-ever Silent Disco – spinning directly to custom headphones for your continued dancing pleasure.  It’s a blast – both for the dancers, and for those watching from the outskirts.

      JD McPherson also shot an interview at Lincoln Center to sharing some of his thoughts about what it means to play at Lincoln Center and imparting some advice for musicians:  Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Rv88it-bM

      Remember, you can buy individual tickets in advance or at the gate, and to save some money, buy season, half-season, or 4-dance Swing or Latin passes.  You can use the passes for two people in one night, so it’s a great way to save some money, and share the experience with your favorite dance partner.

      Lastly, wanted to acknowledge the passing of salsa legend Yomo Toro.  Another big loss for music – he’ll be missed by so many.

      You should be dancing! Get a pass today!

      Another thrilling week kicks off tonight with an exciting New York debut. Come back to Midsummer Night Swing this year and buy a pass—you’ll save big and enjoy guaranteed admission to the dance floor.

      Buy a six-night pass and come alone six times or with a friend three times. As an added bonus: six-night and season passholders get access to the Time Out New York VIP Lounge*, where you can watch the dancing and enjoy a drink and bit of shade.

      Get a pass today—it’s the best way to enjoy New York’s hottest outdoor dance party.

      View the Calendar Buy a Pass and Save

      *Except on nights when it’s closed for a private event.

      Week two of Midsummer Night Swing

      Crytzer’s Blue Rhythm Band (New York debut)

      Big Band Swing

      A 13-piece Seattle dance band that’s a favorite among lindy hoppers heats up the dance floor with original songs inspired by the music of the 1920s through the 1940s.

      Monday, July 2

      Johnny Colon & His Orchestra

      Boogaloo, Salsa

      This New York native’s multi-million-selling classic “Boogaloo Blues” set the tone for an era, and he’s still fusing smoldering salsa and soul swagger with exquisite musicality.

      Tuesday, July 3

      DCS

      Bhangra

      In a rare U.S. appearance, the group that’s considered to be bhangra’s best live band, known for their sheer energy and in-your-face performances.

      Thursday, July 5

      Geno Delafose & French Rockin’ Boogie

      Zydeco

      Dance to the infectious bayou rhythms of zydeco as accordionist and vocalist Geno Delafose, the linchpin of Louisiana’s nouveau zydeco scene, takes center stage with his band French Rockin’ Boogie.

      Friday, July 6

      JD McPherson

      Rock ’n’ Roll

      Renaissance man JD McPherson seamlessly meshes the old and the new in classic and forward-thinking rock, satisfying traditional American rock ’n’ roll and R&B purists alike. Silent Disco powered by Silent Frisco: At 10:00, when the sound system turns off, the dance party keeps going—the DJ plays directly into your headphones until 11:30. Free with your ticket; $5 at the door for Silent Disco only.

      Saturday, July 7

      Lincoln Center

      Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts
      70 Lincoln Center Plaza
      New York, NY 10023
      LincolnCenter.org | 212.721.6500

      Support the arts. Get great benefits. Become a Friend of Lincoln Center.
      Sent to Bill Bragin (bbragin@...).
      Not interested? Update your preferences or unsubscribe.

      http://www.facebook.com/events/330789416990675/

      Deep Space finally lands in BROOKLYN!

      DEEP SPACE: MISSION #1
      François K.
      King Britt
      FaltyDL
      Ilhan Ersahin (Nublu) live on the sax
      dub poet Infinity

      To purchase $15 tickets, visit: www.residentadvisor.net/deepspacenyc

      Dekalb Market
      138 Willoughby Street (@Flatbush Ave) Brooklyn

      B, Q, R to Dekalb Ave    A, C, F & R to Jay St. Metrotech

      3 - 9pm    All ages. Kids under 10 free