Midsummer Night Swing @LCAtrium, GlobalFEST at Bonnaroo, GlobeSonic Sound System returns

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2012

      Nothing like zooming into the summer. There are so many special events coming up, it's hard to even know where to to start.  So let's start with tonight!

      Midsummer Night Swing: Dancing 101s @LCAtrium

      Some of my friends are great dancers. Some of you rock back and forth hugging like you're at the junior high prom.  Maybe this will be the summer you step your game up a bit...and if it's too intimidating to take your first dance class outside at Midsummer Night Swing in Damrosch Park, we have 3 special opportunities for you to kickstart your summer dancing.

      TONIGHT and for the next 2 Wednesdays, Midsummer Night Swing and the Young Patrons of Lincoln Center (YPLC) will offer free Dancing 101 dance classes at the David Rubenstein Atrium.  It's a great opportunity to pick up some swing and salsa basics to make the rest of your summer on the swing dance floor even more fun!  We have some truly excellent teachers and djs, plus drink specials to help give you a little liquid courage.

      http://www.midsummernightswing.org/index.php/2012-dancing-101

      Wednesdays, June 6, 13, 20

      Doors open at 7:00

      Dance lesson 7:30–8:30

      DJ and dancing 8:30–10:00

      David Rubenstein Atrium: Broadway at 62nd Street

      FREE; no tickets required

      June 6: Swing

      DJ: Lindy hop legend Dawn Hampton (part of her 84th birthday week celebration! https://www.facebook.com/events/234522106609970/)

      Dance instructors: Evita Arce and Michael Jagger teach lindy hop

      June 13: Salsa

      DJ: Ron McGugins

      Dance instructor: Jimmy Anton teaches salsa

      June 20: Swing

      DJ: George Gee

      Dance instructor: Spencer Weisbond teaches lindy hop

      More Midsummer Night Swing @LCAtrium: Cajun and Swing

      Midsummer Night Swing is also proud to host 2 free concerts at Target Free Thursdays at the Atrium, to ramp up to the summer.

      Tomorrow night, Feufollet, the young Cajun sensations from Lafayette, Louisiana, make a rare NY appearance.  Steeped in the tradition, but bringing a youthful indie spin of their own  (they grew up with GIVERS), Feufollet were nominated for a Grammy last year, and are continuing to push new boundaries.  Check out this great feature from Garden and Gun: http://gardenandgun.com/article/cajun-fire-feufollet.  It’s a great warm-up for July 6th zydeco show with Geno Delafose

      http://atrium.lincolncenter.org/index.php/atrium-2012-feufollet

      Feufollet

      Thursday, June 7, 2012 at 8:30pm

      Target Free Thursdays

      David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center

      Deathbed ballads meet glockenspiels and omnichords. Cajun French choruses are written on iPhones. Indie-rock vibes invade Acadian archives. Welcome to the world of Feufollet, a band both deeply rooted in the francophone soil of Louisiana and pushing boldly into unexplored yet utterly natural varieties of Cajun experience. Though famous for their renditions of heartbreaking songs and rollicking tunes, the quintet breaks new ground on En Couleurs (Feufollet Records; June 8, 2010) featuring originals that draw on deep roots tempered by a cutting edge of contemporary life.

      And save the date for Thursday, June 21, when Boilermakers Jazz Band bring their highly danceable hot jazz and swing http://atrium.lincolncenter.org/index.php/atrium-2012-boilermakers

      Midsummer Night Swing season kick-off!

      Of course, all this is just a warm-up for the kick-off to Midsummer Night Swing proper, which starts 3 weeks from last night (gulp!)  Of course we have plenty of swing (Nelson Riddle Orchestra, Meschiya Lake & Dem Little Big Horns, Glenn Crytzer's Blue Rhythm Band, Harlem Renaissance Orchestra and Charlie Watts' ABC&D of Boogie-Woogie), and salsa (Orquesta Broadway's 50th Anniversary celebration, Johnny Colon, Mambo Legends Orchestra with Cita Rodriguez, Yoko La Japonesa Salsera and Nayibe la Gitana paying tribute to Celia, La Lupe and Graciela), but there's also zydeco with Geno Delafose, cumbia with Celso Piña, a forro tribute to Luiz Gonzaga with Quarteto Olinda and more, tango with Leonardo Suarez Paz' Cuartetango, the Losers Lounge tribute to the Jacksons vs. Prince, a celebration of the 15th anniversary of DJ Rekha's Basement Bhangra with DCS, and break-out rock 'n' roller JD McPherson (#1 on Billboard's Heatseeker chart, and appearing on Conan O'Brien TONIGHT!).   Plus, two special after hours silent disco sessions, with NY Night Train's Jonathan Toubin and the Freedom Dance Party.

      Individual tickets are on sale, and if you plan on coming more than once, you can save some money by buying season-passes, 6 night passes or new 4-dance Swing or Salsa passes.  You can use those for 2 entries in one night, so even if you only plan on coming 2 times with a dance partner, it's a great way to save some $$$. www.MidsummerNightSwing.org

      globalFEST at BONNAROO!

      http://lineup.bonnaroo.com/events/2012/06/09/

      I couldn't be more excited to head down to the farm in Manchester, TN this weekend for Bonnaroo.  Amidst artists like Radiohead, Phish, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Beach Boys, Alice Cooper, Bon Iver, Skillrex, and the Roots, we're thrilled to have been asked to curate The Other Tent on Sat, June 9, with some of our favorite global sounds.  In addition to a daytime chock full of Sierra Leone via Brooklyn's Janka Nabay & the Bubu Gang (featuring members of Skeletons and Gang Gang Dance), Ethiopian groovemonsters Debo Band (getting ready to drop their Sub Pop debut, produced by Gogol Bordello's Tommy T), Mali's Khaira Arby & her band, Colombian salsa powerhouses La-33, and the funky bhangra brass of Red Baraat, we'll also take over the tent late night with Vernon Reid, John Medeski, Jack Bruce and Cindy Blackman-Santana's tribute to Tony Williams' Lifetime, Spectrum Road, and then close it out with an extended SuperDescarga with Cuban percussion master Pedrito Martinez, fresh from opening for Galactic, playing at Mountain Jam and the Great GoogaMooga) and loads of surprise collaborators.  If you are down at Bonnaroo - find us at the tent, and make sure you spread the word with #gFEST #Bonnaroo.

      The Return of DJ Acidophilus

      I've got not 1, not 2, but 3 big dj gigs coming up...they may be my only gigs of the year, so hope you can make at least one of them.

      On Wed, June 13, very happy to have been asked to spin as part of Nublu's 10th Anniversary - I'll be on a bill with globalFEST alums and Nublu institutions Forro in the Dark.  I'll spin an early set at about 1030 (after that night's Salsa Dancing 101 @LCAtrium) and then Greg Caz will take his regular spot back over.  Nublu's been one of NYC's most important laboratories of hyphenated global-dance-groove-jazz-whatever sounds for a decade, and I'm looking forward to being back there (and they are back to their Ave C and 5th Street home) http://www.nublu.net/anniversary/index.html

      GlobeSonic Sound System reunites

      My GSS brethren, Fabian Alsultany and Derek Beres, who have ventured west to Santa Monica, will both be back in town, and along with percussionist Duke Mushroom, we'll have 2 great free parties for your dancing pleasure.

      http://queensartexpress.com/festival-calendar/qax-after-party-w-globesonic-sound-system/

      On Friday, June 15, we'll be in Long Island City for Queen Art Express (QAX) spinning a free afterparty at Currency, following an evening of visual art installations organized around the theme “What If We Re-Made U.S. Economic Policy?” featuring new collaborative work by Leslie Alfin, Theresa Byrnes, Chanel Kennebrew and Toshi Reagon. http://queensartexpress.com/festival-calendar/what-if-we-re-made-u-s-economic-policy/

      And on Saturday, June 16, we return to Riverside Park South's Pier I for our 8th annual marathon dance party - and  this is our longest set yet, from 2:30 to 10:30 pm.  Come early and bring the kids.  Have a cocktail as the sun sets over the Hudson River. Dance with thousands of revelers as the party really heats up once the sun goes down and the glowing hula-hoops come out.  But one way or another, hope to see out there.  It’s FREE!   https://www.facebook.com/events/292483424172552/

      Alright, I've said too much.  See you soon. (and don't forget to check www.LCOutofDoors.org to start planning your late July/August cultural life.)