Theo Bleckmann sings Kate Bush tomorrow, globalFEST tickets going fast: Menu, T-shirts and APAP updates and more.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2012

      Happy new year, friends.

      2012 is beginning fast and furious, with so many great events happening in NYC, thanks to the annual Association of Performing Arts Presenters (APAP) annual conference.  A few things you should know about:

      1 – Theo Bleckmann sings the Music of Kate Bush tomorrow night at the David Rubenstein Atrium. It’s part of Target Free Thursdays, admission is free and showtime is 8:30.  It’s gotten great press, like this NY Times review of an earlier version http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/arts/music/24theo.html, so I recommend you come extra early if you want to get in.

      Other upcoming shows include multiple Juno award winning banjo master Jayme Stone’s Room of Wonders on Jan 12, and the amazing Colombian singer (and globalFEST alum) Lucia Pulido’s  special celebration on Jan 19 with Sebastian Cruz, Adam Kolker, and Stomu Takeishi, with special guests Dave Binney, Erik Friedlander, La Cumbiamba eNeYe (also globalFEST alums) and others.

      Check out all the Atrium shows at http://new.lincolncenter.org/live/index.php/atrium

      2 – This Sunday is the 9th edition of globalFEST.  Tickets are selling really well, so I highly advise; DO NOT WAIT till the weekend to buy your tickets.  Seriously – buy your tickets soon! If you gave enough thru our Kickstarter campaign to earn a ticket, thanks again! Your ticket will be at the VIP/guest list entrance (closer to 3rd Ave ).  If you purchased an advance ticket online thru Ticketmaster or any other way, they will be at Will Call at the main entrance (closer to 4th Ave ).

      A few new things this year, but keep scrolling for more details.

      - for the first time, food will be available at Webster Hall from our new artist caterer, so you don’t need to miss a minute of the 5 hour extravaganza because you came late or needed to step out for dinner.  Doors at 6, showtime at 7, and we go till midnight – so you can keep your belly full, dance it off, and eat some more.

      - we’re also selling a limited number of globalFEST t-shirts, along with artists CD’s, so bring extra cash ;)

      - our friends at World Music Network have not only created an online Rough Guide to GlobalFEST, but they are also offering free download of their very tasty Introducing Africa compilation which you can download here: http://www.worldmusic.net/free

      - if you aren’t tired after globalFEST proper, join us for an afterparty at Joe’s Pub.  Free admission and drink specials.  You might even get to hang with some of your favorite musicians from the night.

      In addition to the Rough Guide, there have been a few other great online previews, including:

      All Songs Considered’s “Getting ready for globalFEST”

      NPR Music also put together this globalFEST audio mix www.npr.org/2012/01/03/144442821/the-mix-the-sounds-of-globalfest

      The Star-Ledger wrote this: http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2012/01/globalfest_webster_hall.html

      And the NY Times called globalFEST and Winter Jazzfest two of 2012’s most promising events http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/arts/music/pop-music-in-2012.html

      3 – Speaking of Lucia Pulido, she will also be a guest singer with Lincoln Center Out of Doors alum, and now United States Artist Fellow Sxip Shirey, at Joe’s Pub on Saturday night at 9:30.  He’ll expand on his collaboration with digifiddler Todd Reynolds along with a string quartet with members of Luminescent Orchestrii, as well as a host of other special guests.  I wouldn’t miss it.

      4 – Winter Jazz Fest brings 2 days and about 60 bands across 5 venues in the Village, including (le) Poisson Rouge, Kenny’s Castaways, Sullivan Hall, Zinc Bar and the Bitter End.  There are way too many amazing sets to list, but check out the line-up http://winterjazzfest.com/2012nycwinterjazzfest/2012schedule.html and I have no doubt you’ll find more than a few longtime favorites, and even more artists who have been on your list of people you’ve been meaning to check out.  With 1 and 2 day passes at $35 and $45, respectively, you almost can’t afford NOT to go…

      5 – Under the Radar leads the charge for new theater from around the world, with shows at The Public, La Mama, HERE and elsewhere. In addition to all the great theater pieces, the nightly free UTR LuEsther Lounges at The Public offer performances by artists like Denizen Kane, globalFEST and Lincoln Center Out alums Red Baraat, the Wooster Group, and the Middle Collegiate Church gospel choir.

      5.5 – Oh, and on Friday, January 13, GlobeSonic Sound System’s very own DJ Acidophilus makes a very rare solo appearance (though perhaps Billmo will stop by.)  There’s also a very cool band on the bill I can’t tell you about yet, but they are super fun, and I’m pulling out a bunch of Colombian tracks I picked up at Circulart in Medellin this fall for the occasion.  ‘Nuff said. http://www.undertheradarfestival.com/index.php?p=580

      globalfest logo 2012

      Check out
      The Rough Guide to globalFEST 2012

      Visit World Music Network

      Sign up and download
      Introducing Africa
      , a free
      7-track sampler featuring exciting tracks from all points of the
      musical compass

       click here for more information

      Read today's insightful

      NPR Music preview
      "Unlike globalFEST night proper,
      you get to sample this year's artists in slightly less frantic fashion
      in this mix."
      Read it here

      Performance Schedule

      The Gloaming
      7-7:50pm  < Marlin Room

      ( U.S. Debut) Virtuoso Irish and American supergroup explore new traditions

      BelO

      7-8pm  < Studio

      Haiti's acoustic innovator and  activist

      Yemen Blues

      7:30 - 8:15pm  < Ballroom

      Electrifying Yemeni sounds meet jazz, blues and funk

      Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino

      8:10-9pm  < Marlin Room

      Southern Italy's hottest band

      Wang Li

      8:20-9:20  < Studio

      ( U.S. Debut) Sublime Chinese jaw harp master-improviser

      Zaz

      8:35-9:20 < Ballroom

      Chart-topping French chanteuse

      Mayra Andrade

      9:20-10:10:  < Marlin Room

      Golden-voiced Cape Verdean singer
      Silk Road Ensemble

      9:40-10:25  < Ballroom

      Virtuoso collective from around the globe

      MAKU Sound System

      9:40-10:40  < Studio

      Furious rhythms of NY's Afro-Colombian underground

      SMOD

      10:30-11:20  < Marlin Room

      ( U.S. Debut)

      Hard hitting, political folk-rap from Mali

      Diogo Nogueira

      10:45-11:30  < Ballroom

      Rio's red-hot samba star

      Debo Band

      11-midnight  < Studio

      Slinky Ethiopian funk and searing jazz grooves

      12:30am til...

      gF afterparty Joe's Pub

      (see details on right)

      WNYC, NPR + All Songs Considered
      We are thrilled to welcome back our media sponsor WNYC Radio as well as  NPR and All Songs Considered

      What else the press says

      globalFEST is something like a whirlwind tour captained by a cosmopolitan disc jockey, hopping from Guadeloupe to Transylvania, Senegal to the Louisiana bayou,
      Paris to Siberia .
      NY Times

      Last year, I was a kid in a candy store; this year, we're all in for a treat, so spread the word.

      NPR's All Songs Considered

      Some of the bands could have melted the ice on the nearby streets.

      The Wall Street Journal

      Orange

       Follow us on Twitter

      Like us on Facebook