Kool & Together @LCAtrium, globalFEST: Chance to Win Tkts; Spotify playlist & Turntable party + Videos; + more

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2011

      Hi friends,

       Want to remind you again about this Thursday, December 15 free show in the David Rubenstein Atrium: we’re thrilled to present the NY debut of black rock and psychedelic soul pioneers Kool & Together “who pick up where Hendrix’s Band of Gypsies left off.”  Don’t worry that you’ve never heard of them.  We hadn’t either until the folks at Heavy Light records turned us on to them.  They recently reformed after 30 years and are likely to blow our collective minds. Here’s a taste of their first show after being re-activated from Austin ’s Continental Club just a few weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOKFQTcrhdM .  Or you can watch a video with a picture of their very rare 45, “Sittin’ on a Red Hot Stove” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQ22-JyjSA

      Keep your eyes out for other great free Atrium shows, including Ljova plus Romashka, Tall Tall Trees and more, celebrating the release of his terrific new CD, Lost in Kino on Dec 22.  Last time Ljova performed at the Atrium, he was featured in this wonderful profile feature in the NY Times; http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/07/arts/music/07ljova.html.  The show he put together for the 22nd should be quite special.  Theo Bleckmann’s Hello Earth; The music of Kate Bush on Jan 5, and a special all-star celebration with Lucia Pulido and friends on Jan 22.  Check out http://new.lincolncenter.org/live/index.php/atrium for complete listings.

      Also this Thursday, there will be a special Turntable.FM session from 3:30 – 5:30pm where we’ll be spinning artists from the upcoming edition of globalFEST as well as choice faves from previous editions.  It’s a great chance to get to know this year’s artists, ask questions, find out more about the line-up and chat with your friends.  Sign in thru Facebook.  http://turntable.fm/globalfest   You can also check out our Spotify playlist – see below for info on that.  And most importantly – don’t forget to buy your tickets to globalFEST soon – tix are selling very well.  You don’t want to miss the international music event of the year.  With 12 artists on 3 stages in 1 night, globalFEST tickets also make GREAT holiday gifts….

      DJ Acidophilus returns to Under the Radar Lounge

      Finally, just a quick save the date – I’ll be djing once again at the Public Theater’s Under the Radar Lounge on Friday, January 13.  It’s free.  There’s an excellent band playing on the bill with me that needs to remain secret for a while.  But it will be fun.  And it’s free.  And now that Fabian and Derek live in Cali , I don’t dj that much.  Come.  It will be fun.  And it’s free.

      globalfest logo 2012

      globalFEST collage

      9th Annual globalFEST
      Sun. Jan 8, 2012  7- midnight
      Webster Hall 125 E. 11th Street

      Haiti's acoustic innovator and  activist

      Southern Italy's hottest band

      Slinky Ethiopian funk and searing jazz grooves

      Rio's red-hot samba star

      Furious rhythms of NY's Afro-Colombian underground

      Golden-voiced Cape Verde born singer

      Virtuoso collective from around the globe

      ( U.S. Debut) Hard hitting, political folk-rap from Mali

      ( U.S. Debut) Virtuoso Irish and American supergroup explore new traditions

      ( U.S. Debut) Sublime Chinese jaw harp master-improviser

      Electrifying Yemeni sounds meet jazz, blues and funk

       Zaz

      Chart-topping French chanteuse

      Webster Halll marqueee

      What the press says:

      globalFEST is something like a whirlwind tour captained by a cosmopolitan disc jockey, hopping from Guadeloupe to Transylvania, Senegal to the Louisiana bayou, Paris to Siberia.

      - NY Times

      Last year, I was a kid in a candy store; this year, we're all in for a treat, so spread the word.

      - NPR's All Songs Considered

      Some of the bands could have melted the ice on the nearby streets.

      - The Wall Street Journal

      Press release and press inquiries here

      Orange

       Follow us on Twitter

      Like us on Facebook

      globalFEST, Inc NYC

      A chance to win a pair of gF tickets

      Join our facebook page, follow us on twitter, tweet about @globalFEST_NYC or re-tweet one of our tweets between today, or forward this email to a friend and let us know, between now and Dec 17, and you'll have a chance to win 2 free tickets to globalFEST. Winner announced Dec 19.

      Plus get the latest news and updates when you follow us on twitter on facebook

      Buy gF tickets

      Purchase online, by phone, in person:

      phone: 800-745-3000
      In person: at Mercury Lounge (cash only)

      APAP buyers, call 212.967.7555, email us for code

      Tune in for a Turntable.FM listening party on Thurs December 15
      3:30-5:30pm EST

      Join us for a fun time listening to music together and chatting about gF artists in the Turntable chat room

      When the time comes, join us here
      http://turntable.fm/globalfest

       You need a Facebook account to log into Turntable. Once you are there you look for the room you want, click on it, and then you will hear the music that is being
      DJed and can participate in a group chat room. It's fun and easy.

      You can also hear plenty of great gF music on our website with links to each artists' website, music and videos at globalFEST.org

      gF playlist on Spotify

      Discover each of this year's globalFEST artists on this hand-collected Spotify playlistIf you haven't already purchased gF tickets, we think listening to this playlist may make up your mind - before tickets are gone. If you already have your tickets, this preview can help you decide who are your not-to-be-missed artists of the night.  If you don't have a Spotify account, you can get one for

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)