Occupy Wall Street looking for musicians...

  • activecultures-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2011
      Okayplayer + Okayafrica are organizing a group of musicians, DJs, producers, music industry professionals, and fans to join the protesters who are occupying Wall Street – those who are fighting against the corrupt 1% and on behalf of the 99%. This people-powered movement has vowed to end the corruption of US democracy by corporations and those in power and are starting by an Arab Spring-modeled occupation of Wall Street.

      The protest started on September 17th and is still going strong. Over these days, thousands have gone down to Wall Street, some camping out, to protest alongside such notables include Dr. Cornel West, Michael Moore, and Susan Sarandon. In recent days the protests have taken a violent turn – police have been beating, pepper spraying, and arresting peaceful, law-abiding protesters. (See this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UHsLccXQUY)

      Join us in supporting the protest: one morning in the next week we will be going down to Wall Street en masse to lend our voice to the movement and support the protesters. Let's help them make a powerful statement.

      E-mail us for more information, date and time (TBD - likely Friday, Monday or Tuesday at 10am): wallstreet@...

      Feel free to forward this.

      More info:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/nyregion/wall-street-demonstrations-test-police-trained-for-bigger-threats.html
      https://occupywallst.org/
    • activecultures-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2011
        Sorry for the second email in a row - I hit send too soon. I'm sending this from my personal account, and the online interface was more sensitive than sending via work email. This is a personal email.

        I know many of you subscribe to this list because of interest in cultural events, and may or may not agree with my political beliefs, so please accept this in the spirit of dialogue and education about what is going on at Occupy Wall Street. I will not use this list regularly as a place to share info of this type - follow me on Twitter @ActiveCultures for the most info or visit my ActiveCultures Facebook group for less frequent postings.

        I've been away most of the past few weeks, and Occupy Wall Street is a very nascent movement, which is changing very quickly. A friend passed along a comment that one if its strengths is that it's in a "permanent state of beta." I'm sharing the information as I learn myself about Occupy Wall Street's background, "horizontal structure" and "demands" (though there is a strong resistance at this early stage to reduce the dissent to this framework.)

        I wanted to pass along a few links that I've found helpful in learning about the movement, along with a request from OkayPlayer/OkayAfrica for musicians to get involved, which you'll find below.

        https://occupywallst.org/

        Livestream of Occupy Wall Street http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution

        Declaration of the Occupation of New York City | NYC General Assembly (the daily meeting place where the goals of the movement are being worked out via a horizontal structure / consensus model)
        http://nycga.cc/2011/09/30/declaration-of-the-occupation-of-new-york-city/

        Minutes from the General Assembly
        http://nycga.cc/

        The original call for protest: #OCCUPYWALLSTREET | Adbusters Culturejammer Headquarters
        http://www.adbusters.org/blogs/adbusters-blog/occupywallst

        Occupy Wall Street: FAQ
        http://www.thenation.com/article/163719/occupy-wall-street-faq

        Video of mass arrests from yesterday's protest on the Brooklyn Bridge
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWEPwuIYtA

        And a TED video that I've been thinking a lot about this week.

        "How to Start a Movement" TED Talk by Derek Silvers:
        http://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_how_to_start_a_movement.html
        "First, of course you know, a leader needs the guts to stand out and be ridiculed. But what he's doing is so easy to follow. So here's his first follower with a crucial role. He's going to show everyone else how to follow....the first follower is actually an underestimated form of leadership in itself. It takes guts just to stand out like that....And here comes a second follower. Now it's not a lone nut, it's not two nuts, three is a crowd, and a crowd is news. So a movement must be public. It's important, not just to show the leader, but the followers because you find that new followers emulate the followers, not the leader."

        Here's the call for artist support I got a few days ago - the shape of things has changed already just a few days later, especially after 700 people were arrested. But if you look at the video from the Brooklyn Bridge, you can see that the size of the movement has already grown rapidly.

        -----FORWARD-----