Midsummer Night Swing highlights, plus I'm djing at SummerStage this Sunday

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2011

      Hi all,

      What a wild week it’s been since I wrote last.

      In one of my all-time highlights, the Brooklyn Brass Class I’ve been playing with since the spring, after taking my trumpet out of a 27-year retirement, had two special guests this weekend, my dad on trumpet, and Pee Wee Ellis, the legendary James Brown saxophonist.  Pee Wee had so much fun playing Macedonian and New Orleans brass band tunes with us…Pee Wee Ellis invited me to play with him at Fred Wesley in their encore of I Feel Good at our Midsummer Night Swing Soul Train night.  Kind of mind-boggling, and a huge honor.  I’m trying to get the full footage of the song, but here’s one that wisely has great images from the night, but no live sound.  Yes, the polyester leisure suit was really hot and sweaty, and the platform heels uncomfortable, but still, I felt good.  I knew that I would.  Video Proof – Soul Train at Mudsummer Night Swing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YWYIkkGXK0

      Speaking of Pee Wee Ellis, he’ll be back in NY to play Town Hall on Oct 6 in honor of his 70th birthday, playing not only with Fred Wesley but also the thrird funk horn titan Maceo Parker. It’s a ridiculous band, too, with Larry Golding on keys, Christian McBride on bass, Rodney Jones on guitar and Bill Stewart on drums.  You are guaranteed a funky good time.  More info at www.absolutelylive.net and tix just went on sale at

      http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/030046DBDECD99AC?artistid=739064&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=4

      GlobeSonic at Central Park SummerStage this Sunday!

      In other personal highlights, imagine how surprised I was to see my photo (as part of GlobeSonic Sound System with Derek Beres and Duke Mushroom, and Congolese rap star Baloji) in Time Out New York this week as a pick for “Your Perfect July 4 Weekend.”

      http://www.derekberes.com/beats/globesonic-featured-in-time-out-ny/

      We’re djing on an amazing bill with not only Baloji, but also RAM, the mighty Haitian vodou-rock band who were big hits at globalFEST this year, and the spaced-out Western Saharan guitar band Group Doueh.  Admission is free, and here are the set times:

      GlobeSonic Sound System (and doors): 2:00 PM

      Baloji: 3:00 PM

      GlobeSonic Sound System 3:40

      Group Doueh: 4:00-5:00pm

      GlobeSonic Sound System 5:00 PM

      RAM: 5:30-7:00pm

      I hope to see many of you at my first time back ON stage at Summerstage since I left my role as Artistic Director there in 1999. It’s truly an amazing musical line-up. Do not miss it. http://www.summerstage.org/search_results.html?search_input=globesonic

      Midsummer Night Swing this weekend

      Speaking of un-missable musical line-ups, we have an unbelievable few days at Midsummer Night Swing this weekend.

      Tonight – the NY debut of the samba sensation Diogo Nogueira.  He’s the star of a weekly tv show in Brazil , won the Latin Grammy last year for Best Samba album, and reports from his Chicago debut last night were amazing – 7,000 people in Millenium Park .  Dance lesson at 630, and he starts at 7:30.  The weather’s perfect.  Greg Caz, long-time resident dj for nublu’s Brazilian shows, is spinning.  Come.

      Tomorrow, celebrate classic Nuyorican salsa, boogaloo and plena with Aurora y Zon del Barrio.  She’s got two very special guests with her, legendary Fania pianist Larry Harlow, and Orquestra Broadway’s master flutist Eddy ZervigonJimmy Anton, who runs one of NY’s most popular salsa socials teaches, and DJ Turmix spins.  DJ Turmix will also spin at afterparties tonight and tomorrow at the Empire Hotel Lobby bar

      And on Tuesday, the Indepedence weekend fireworks continue with El Caballero de la Salsa, Gilberto Santa Rosa. With musical director Isidro Infante, he’s put together a special show with a classic-style mambo orchestra just for us. In a break fromour usual format, there is only one set at 8 pm.  Carlos Konig, featured in last summer’s NY Times Arts & Leisure piece on our dance instructors http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/arts/dance/11swing.html teaches, and DJ Andreas spins. It’s almost sold out, so seriously, do not wait to buy tickets if you want to come.

      And remember, when individual tix are sold out, season and six-night passholders can still get in, and you can split up your passes for 2 people in one night.  So it’s a good idea to get your passes and save some money in the process.

      Last chance to Vote Billy Bragg’s The Big Busk

      Finally, time is running out to vote for what nominated songs everyone should play and sing together with Billy Bragg at Lincoln Center Out of Doors's opening night on July 27. We’ve collected them all and they’re up now for a vote on our Lincoln Center Out of Doors Facebook wall.  If you want to check out the nominations, you can see them on our youtube channel http://www.Youtube.com/LCBigBusk

      So head over to Facebook, make your picks, and most importantly, tell us why you voted for the songs you did (it’s your chance to sway others to your cause). https://apps.facebook.com/opinionpolls/poll.php?ref=stream_poll&pid=ABSNCItrlZ4  You can vote more than once.  But you need to hit enter every time.

      We’ll send the list of the winners to Billy Bragg, who will include some of your favorites  along with some selections of his own for The Big Busk on our Lincoln Center Out of Doors.

      That’s all I have time for now – on my way to samba with Diogo Nogueira!