Free GlobeSonic pier party tomorrow, Billy Bragg's Big Busk: Tribute to MARIO BAUZA and more.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2011

      Hi all,

      GLOBESONIC ON THE PIER

      I know you share my relief that summer weather is finally here.  And what better way to celebrate than with the return of GlobeSonic Sound System's annual pier party at Riverside Park's Pier I tomorrow night, June 4, from 4 - 10:30 pm.  This is the ONLY pier party we have scheduled for the summer - Fabian lives in Santa Monica now, so this is your one chance to hear him, Derek Beres and me spinning together, with Duke Mushroom and Jimmy Lopez on percussion.  The weather report was gloomy earlier in the week – now it’s glorious.  Fabian came all the way in from California for this – come celebrate with us!!

      Don't forget - this is the only GlobeSonic pier party of the summer.  It's a great place to dance as the summer sun sets and turns into the early summer night...  There's food and a bar, too!  And it's FREE, FREE, FREE.  Bring your friends.  And make some new ones.

      GLOBESONIC ON THE PIER

      SATURDAY JUNE 4th

      GlobeSonic Sound System on The Pier returns for our seventh season of free outdoor shows.

      DJ's Fabian Alsultany, Bill Bragin & Derek Beres with Duke Mushroom and Jimmy Lopez on percussion

      Riverside Park South | The Pier on 68th Street & the Hudson River

      4-11pm | Free

      Cash bar and food available.

      If you want to get a taste of the party, check out this video from last summer, and watch out for naked mermaids and mermen...

      https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=399558216301&comments

      And save the date for Sunday, July 3, when Derek, Duke and I will be spinning at Central Park SummerStage before and in between sets on a great globe-trotting bill with RAM ( Haiti ), Baloji ( Congo ) and Group Doueh ( Western Sahara )

      Help pick songs for Billy Bragg’s The Big Busk

      Next, a reminder that Lincoln Center Out of Doors will kick-off on July 27 with a very special sing- and play-along with Billy Bragg, The Big Busk.  Anyone who can fake 3 or 4 basic guitar chords (or better, can even really play) is invited to bring their guitar to join a giant community musical happening.  But the first part of the audience participation happens now.  Billy Bragg has agreed to let our audience pick 6 songs for everyone to sing and play together.  You can tweet a suggestion to us @LCOutofDoors and tag it #LCBigBusk, post a suggestion on the Big Busk tab on the out of Doors Facebook page, or even better, record a video of you playing a cover of your favorite sing-a-long and post it to YouTube and tag us. We’ll compile the nominations by June 20, and in true democratic fashion, put them up to vote.

      Feel free to choose songs from any style, genre, or era—but so everyone can have fun playing along, the songs should: be familiar songs most people will know the lyrics to; use simple chords guitarists of all levels can play; and include no more than three or four chords.  Acoustic guitars only if you want to solo busk and/or perform with the group on July 27.  Big Busks in London have included such songs as The Troggs’ “Wild Thing,” The Monkees’ “Daydream Believer,” The Kinks’ “Waterloo Sunset,” Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep,” and Bragg’s own “A New England.”

      Billy has recorded a special video explaining the event further, including an exclusive solo performance of “Me & Bobby McGee”, which is posted on our Facebook tab. http://on.fb.me/LCBigBusk You can also see a video with highlights from a recent Big Busk at the Southbank Centre in London , so you can see the whole rehearsal and performance feel. Check out our YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/lcbigbusk and you can also check out an offering from Les Triaboliques, who will be opening for Billy as The Black Earth Boys with Juldeh Camara – “Rivers of Babylon”.  We’ll be adding some new videos to that page soon.  Maybe yours….

      Midsummer Night Swing starts in 3 weeks!

      It’s crazy but it’s true.  We kick off 3 weeks from Monday, on July 27, with a special FREE Dancers’ Appreciation Night featuring a favorite of LA Lindy Hoppers, the Jonathan Scout Orchestra, to thank our fans and show off our great new dance floor (the dance surface itself – last year, we introduced a new set around it.)  Tix are free, by lottery, so click here to enter http://www.midsummernightswing.org/index.php/msns-11-the-jonathan-stout-orchestra.  And check out the complete schedule, which includes a celebration of Soul Train’s 40th Anniversary with James Brown’s stellar horn section Pee Wee Ellis and Fred Wesley plus a DJ set by Biz Markie, a Losers Lounge 80’s Night, an all star tribute to salsa impresario Ralph Mercado, the NY debut of Brazil’s hot young samba star Diogo Nogueira, plus swing, salsa, tango, cumbia and more.  The complete schedule is at www.midsummerNightSwing.org, including a juke box so you can hear some of the great music you’ll be dancing to.

      100 Years of Mario Bauzá

      Finally, I wanted to pass along info about an amazing all-start show coming up at the Apollo celebrating the music of the legendary Mario Bauzá featuring Bobby Sanabria Big Band (who played to record crowds at Lincoln Center Out of Doors last summer as part of Larry Harlow’s La Raza Latina), poet and activist Felipe Luciana (who will be at La Casita this summer), Candido, David Amram, Jon Faddis, la Bruja, and more.

      From havana to harlem                    DESDE LA HABANA A HARLEM
      100 Years of Mario Bauz
      á                  100 AÑOS DE MARIO Bauzá

      Presented in Collaboration with TeatroStageFest
      Presented in Collaboration with TeatroStageFest

      From his Apollo appearances with famed Harlem band leaders including Chick Webb and Cab Calloway, Mario Bauzá had a lasting influence on Latin music in the U.S. Celebrate the 100th birthday of the father of Afro-Cuban jazz at the legendary Apollo Theater.

      Desde sus representaciones en el Apollo con renombrados líderes de orquestas basados en Harlem, como Chick Webb y Cab Calloway, la influencia de Mario Bauzá sobre la música latina en los Estados Unidos ha perdurado. Celebre los 100 años del nacimiento del padre de jazz Afro-Cubano en el legendario Teatro Apollo

      SATURDAY, JUNE 18 AT 8PM                    SABADO, el 18 de JUNIO a 8:00 pm

      Tickets:  $25, $35, $45
      APOLLO THEATER BOX OFFICE
      TICKETMASTER 800.745.3000
      TICKETMASTER.COM

      Groups of 10 or more: $22 $32 $42
      GRUPOS DE 10 O MAS: $22 $32 $42
      CALL 212.531.5355                                              LLAMAR 212 531 5355

      Apollo Theater
      253 West 125th Street
      Harlem, USA
      www.apollotheater.org

      Bobby Sanabria Big Band
      The band at the forefront of all things Afro-Cuban combines Latin influences with funk, R&B, jazz and beyond, led by four-time Grammy nominee drummer, percussionist and Mario Bauzá alumnus Bobby Sanabria. “It’s New York … from the street to the mambo palaces to the conservatories.” - The New York Times

      El conjunto en la vanguardia de todo lo que es Afro-Cubano combina influencias Latinas con funk, R&B, jazz y mucho más, dirigida por Bobby Sanabria, baterista nominado al  premio Grammy cuatro veces, percusionista y ex–alumno de Mario Bauzá. “Es Nueva York… de la calle a  los palacios de mambo a los conservatorios.” – The New York Times

      Felipe Luciano
      A member of the legendary original Last Poets, known for his eloquence, passion and vision as a poet, activist and leader for issues of social justice.

      Un miembro de los originales y legendarios Last Poets, conocido por su elocuencia, pasión y visión como poeta, activista y líder de causas a favor de  la justicia social.

      Candido
      This jazz master is the most recorded Congo player in the history of music and at 90, a revered master of the Afro-Cuban sound.

      Este Maestro de jazz es el conguero que más discos ha grabado en la historia de la música y a los 90 años, un Maestro venerado del sonido Afro-Cubano.

      David Amram
      A conductor and scholar who combines jazz and classical for concerts, opera and film, including the score for The Manchurian Candidate.

      Director de orquesta y académico que combina el jazz y la música clásica en sus conciertos, la opera y el cine, entre los cuales figura  la banda sonora de The Manchurian Candidate.

      Jon Faddis
      A Dizzy Gillespie protégé now hailed as the world’s greatest living trumpet player.

      Aprendiz de Dizzy Gillespie, hoy en día es aclamado como el más grande trompetista más del mundo en vida.

      La Bruja
      Spellbinding poet, writer, actor, Hip-Hop recording artist, community activist and a true renaissance artist.

      Fascinante poetisa, escritora, actriz, intérprete de Hip Hop, activista comunitaria y una verdadera artista renacentista.

      Chareneé Wade
      A vocalist whose Grammy-nominated work with Bobby Sanabria has made her a tour-de-force in the world of jazz.

      Vocalista cuya colaboración con Bobby Sanabria fue nominada al Premio Grammy y la catapultó a su éxito actual en el mundo de jazz.