Free World Nomads Morocco show Brahim Fribgane + Ibrahim Maalouf plus Buy a Swing Pass and Save

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2011

      It was a big week last week all around. But you know this…

      So I’m going to keep this pretty focused;

      The Lincoln Center Out of Doors line-up was announced.  Since all the events are free, no tickets required, all you need to do right now is go to www.LCOutofDoors.org, and start putting dates in your summer calendars. And follow us on Twitter @LCOutofDoors.

      For Midsummer Night Swing, you do need to buy tix, and individual tickets and passes are now on sale.  See below for more info, and visit www.MidsummerNightSwing.org for the complete schedule, to listen to our Swing audio jukebox, check out video clips and so on.  And follow on Twitter @LCSwing.

      Speaking of Twitter, one of my Tweets got picked up for the new American Express Tales from True Tweets campaign, so my social currency is rising.  If you missed my Twitter handle’s TV debut on American Idol last week, you can watch it online http://youtu.be/oWiRQmlAlqg  And follow me @ActiveCultures.  Yes, as seen on TV.  And since I needed even more social media in my life, I just started a Tumblr account too.  http://liveandactivecultures.tumblr.com/

      This week at Target Free Thursdays at the David Rubenstein Atrium, we have a great free show presented in collaboration with FIAF’s World Nomads Morocco festival, presented under the High Patronage of His Majesty King Mohammed VI.  The program features the multi-talented Berber musician Brahim Fribgane, who has worked with such artists as   Dr. L. Subramaniam, Vishal Vaid, Hassan Hakmoun, Will Calhoun, Adam Rudolph, Zakir Hussein, Pete Seeger, and Medeski Martin & Wood, to name a few.

      Sharing the bill, performing separately and together, is the virtuoso French-Lebanese trumpeter Ibrahim Maalouf.  A classical protégé of Maurice Andre, Ibrahim went on to make a name for himself as an innovative electro-jazz player, performing on a specially modified 4-valve trumpet which allows him to play Arabic as well as Western scales.  It should be a great night that ranges from traditional to contemporary music in many modes.  And like all Atrium shows, admission is free

      Brahim Fribgane, a New York-based composer, vocalist, and multi-instrumentalist, grew up immersed in his Berber (Amazigh) culture while absorbing Arab, Gnaoua, and Andalusian influences. Today he is known as an innovator who artfully blends these musical traditions. For this special evening, Fribgane will draw specifically on Amazigh tradition for one of his signature inventive performances.

      Sharing the bill with Fribgane is French-Lebanese trumpeter Ibrahim Maalouf, known for his own innovative combination of jazz and traditional Arabic music. The two musicians will then perform together, collaborating to create a dynamic and original sound.

      Under the High Patronage of His Majesty King Mohammed VI, co-presented as part of World Nomads Morocco . The annual World Nomads Festival, produced by the French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF), celebrates the phenomenon of 21st-century transculturalism through the arts and scholarly discussion. It offers a platform for the exchange of ideas and artistic expression among traditional and contemporary cultures. The festival returns this May at a particularly suitable time for its fourth edition, to celebrate the many facets of Morocco .

      Save the date for other upcoming shows in the Atrium including cellist Dave Eggar and Hammerstep on May 12 and the NY debut of the innovative Belgian big band, Flat Earth Society (Crammed / Ipecac records), on May 19.  For more info on Atrium shows, go to www.Lincolncenter.org/atrium and @LCAtrium.

      Lastly, I have two big Dj gigs this summer.  First, the big annual GlobeSonic Sound System pier party on the Hudson will take place on Saturday, June 4, from 4 – 10:30 pm.  Fabian is flying in from California for the gig, so it will be the only time, he, Derek and I, joined by Duke Mushroom and Jimmy Lopez on percussion, will have a full extended tag-team session. It’s a beautiful spot right on the water, with food and drinks available, free and fun for all ages, from toddlers to seniors….

      More info; https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=212911975405657 and See all the great FREE Summer on the Hudson events at www.parks.nyc./gov/soh

      And then Derek, Duke and I will be spinning before the show and in between sets at Central Park SummerStage on Sunday, July 3 on an amazing bill with Haitian voudou-rock icons RAM, Congolese rap sensation Baloji, and Western Sahara guitar drone band Group Doueh.  It’s a show I wouldn’t miss even if I weren’t going to be djing, and admission to that, too, is free. http://www.summerstage.org/search_results.html?search_input=globesonic

      I’m sure I’ve forgotten something, but so goes it….

      Sent by: Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts
      Reply to the sender

      Forward to a friend

      ------
      Buy a Swing Pass and Save Big

      Love to dance? Swing Passes are the best way to experience Midsummer Night Swing, New York ’s hottest outdoor dance party. With a Swing Pass , you receive big discounts plus guaranteed admission to the dance floor, no matter how busy it gets.

      Six-Night Pass: $90 save over 10%

      Season Pass: $160 save over 35%

      New York’s Hottest Outdoor Dance Party

      Every summer, the world’s finest dance bands turn Lincoln Center ’s Damrosch Park into New York 's favorite outdoor ballroom for pros and newcomers alike, with the electrifying sounds of swing, salsa, samba, tango, and more.

      View the Complete Season-----Experience Swing With This Brief Video

      -----

      For Tickets or Swing Passes :

      212.721.6500
      MidsummerNightSwing.org
      Alice Tully Hall or Avery Fisher Hall Box Office
      Broadway at 65th Street

      Join us on Facebook!-----Follow us on Twitter!

      Sponsored by Macy's.

      Made possible in part by grants from Daisy and Paul Soros
      and Charina Endowment Fund.

      This e-mail was sent from Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts
      Immediate removal with PatronMail
      ®
      SecureUnsubscribe
      .

      To forward this e-mail to a friend or colleague, use this link.

      To change your e-mail address or update preferences, use this link.