Balthrop Alabama, The Sweet Divines, Passing Strange, globalFEST, Paul Winter

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2010

      Seems like I'm running full speed into the end of the year, and hoping to drag you along with me for a number of great upcoming events.

      First off, we have two fantastically fun and *FREE* holiday concerts scheduled for the David Rubenstein Atrium as part of Lincoln Center's Target Free Thursdays series in the coming weeks.

      This Thursday, it's Christmas in Balthrop, Alabama, as this tiny town uproots itself to move into the Atrium.  Town-drawer, Toxey Goodwater (aka Michael Arthur, the Joe's Pub archival illustrator) drew during my dj set at last year's Under the Radar Lounge (which I'll be doing again Jan 14) You can see that drawing as the background for www.twitter.com/activecultures.

      You've probably been hearing the buzz about The Sweet Divines through their regular gigs as part of the Dig Deeper parties, including a much talked about concert by Syl Johnson a few weeks ago.  Well, they've lined up two more great guests, Maxine Brown and Eli "Paperboy" Reed, so we've added a second set to make sure you can get in and dance into the holidays.

      Christmas in Balthrop , Alabama

      Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 8:30 pm

      Come experience the magic of the holidays in Balthrop , Alabama ! Everyone in town has conjured a brand-new holiday classic, each with a very Balthrop bent. There are no roasting chestnuts or singing snowmen in these lyrical tales of whee and woe—instead you'll be regaled with newfound legends of lovelorn jailbirds and flying cows. Accompanying the band in pen and ink will be town-drawer Toxey Goodwater, born Michael Arthur, whose draws in tandem with the music, live on the big screen. Sorta like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp76NL7RUiw

      The Sweet Divines’ Holiday Soul Spectacular with special guests Maxine Brown and Eli “Paperboy” Reed

      Thursday, December 23, 2011 at 8:30 and 10:30 pm

      When the Sweet Divines are on a bill, something special is going to happen. These four young ladies and their backing band have become legendary for their spot-on summoning of the look, feel, and sound of a classic soul revue -- both with their original material and as a backing band for several veteran singers of the era (Otis Clay, Marva Whitney, Howard Tate, Baby Washington, Betty Harris, and many more). In their first ever Holiday Soul Spectacular, the Sweet Divines will warm up Christmas Eve with some tunes from their recent release, renditions of their favorite holiday soul 45s, and a touch of gospel. Some of their talented friends will be joining the party, including soul wunderkind Eli "Paperboy" Reed, as well as the legendary Maxine Brown!

      Passing Strange - Jacksonville premiere

      While you're enjoying Balthrop Alabama, I'll be in Jacksonville, Florida enjoying the Jax’ville premiere screening of Spike Lee's film of Passing Strange, as part of Atypical Arts' Music in Motion film series, and then speaking about the genesis of the show with radio host and performance poet/playwright Al Letson (NPR's State of The RE:Union).  This will be an especially meaningful screening, not just because Passing Strange star Daniel Breaker (Youth) went to HS in Jax'ville, where his family still lives, but also because the event is being produced by one of my closest friends, Jimmy Saal.  After moving to Florida from NY, where he was a mover & shaker working for Vibe magazine, and involved in the Black Rock Coalition, Central Park SummerStage, MJI Broadcasting and more, he realized that he wanted to have the kind of cultural community he had in NY.  So he did what he had to do. He made it, starting with house concerts and now this film and talk series, which has been getting an incredible local reception.  You can read more about it here

      Al Letson and I will be interviewed on Jacksonville ’s public radio station,  WJCT-FM (89.9) on Melissa Ross’s show First Coast Connect at about 9:20 am on Thursday, Dec 16.  You can listen online: http://www.wjctOnDemand.org

      You can also send in questions via: Tweet: @MellisaInJax          Phone: (904) 549-2937  Email: firstcoastconnect@...

      globalFEST 2011

      Sunday, January 9, 2011
      Webster Hall
      125 E 11th St., New York , NY
      between 3rd and 4th avenues

      I don’t need to remind you that globalFEST is one of the most incredible events I have the privilege of working on each year.  13 incredible artists on 3 stages in one revelation filled night.  Please buy your tickets at www.ticketmaster.com, let us know you are coming by RSVPing on Facebook and forwarding the info to your friends.  And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @globalFEST_NYC

      Chamber Music: Ballaké Sissoko & Vincent Segal ( U.S. debut)
      Creole Choir of Cuba
      Diblo Dibala
      Kaumakaiwa Kanaka’ole (NYC solo debut)
      La-33
      Novalima
      Orquestra Contemporânea de Olinda
      Pedrito Martinez Group
      RAM
      Red Baraat
      Rhythm of Rajasthan
      Yoro Ndiaye ( U.S. debut)

      Zikrayat

      www.globalFEST-ny.org

      Finally, wanted to let you know about an annual highlight of the holiday season in one of the most beautiful churches in North America – and a very special offer for my subscribers…

      Paul Winter's Solstice with special guest Arto Tunçboyaciyan at St. John the Divine

      If you have never seen Armenian vocalist/percussionist Arto Tunçboyaciyan, gospel singer Theresa Thomason, or the percussion-heavy Forces of Nature Dance Theatre, you have a chance during NYC’s holiday alternative favorite: Paul Winter's Solstice, December 16-18 at the architecturally exquisite Cathedral of St. John the Divine here in NYC. Join six-time GRAMMY-winner Paul Winter and guests in this majestic and acoustically soulful space to celebrate the Winter Solstice, the longest night of the year, and the return of the sun. Tickets & videos at: www.SolsticeConcert.com.

      Buy a ticket, print this email, sign here: ___________________, and bring to the concert for a free copy of Paul Winter Consort’s new GRAMMY-nominated album Miho: Journey to the Mountain, the music of which will be featured at the Solstice performances.

      All the best,

      Bill Bragin
      @ActiveCultures

      "This will be our reply to violence: