Kickstarting globalFEST, plus DJ Tudo at LCDJ series at Atrium This Weekend, and Brooklyn Soul Festival

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2010

      Dear Friends,

      “Last year, I was a kid in a candy store; this year, we're all in for a treat, so spread the word.” –NPR’s All Songs Considered

      Most of you know that one of the events I’ve been proudest to have worked on the past few years is globalFEST, which I have co-produced on a purely volunteer basis along with Isabel Soffer (World Music Institute) and Shanta Thake (Joe’s Pub at the Public Theater.) All box office revenue is used to cover the extensive production and marketing expenses of this ambitious event. As those expenses continue to rise, it’s become necessary to supplement the revenue with contributions to help defray costs without having to increase ticket prices, which we’ve maintained at one low price for 8 years running.

      After recommending Kickstarter to so many musician friends who have used it successfully to fund projects, we realized that it’s something we should use to help support globalFEST as well: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/445430954/globalfest2011

      globalFEST was started in 2003 with a goal of expanding the knowledge and appreciation of world music and increasing opportunities for international and domestic world and roots music artists to connect with US audiences during increasingly xenophobic post 9-11 period and the beginning of the Iraq War. This one-night, 3-stage festival has become a bright spot for music lovers in the dark days of early January and is the premier event for artists from around the world to expand their touring opportunities at North American performing arts centers, festivals and nightclubs. globalFEST has helped propel artists such as Antibalas, Balkan Beat Box, Caravan Palace , Kailash Kher, La Excelencia, Mariza, Pistolera and dozens of others to the national stage.

      We hope that through your support we will be able to enjoy another successful year and keep our one low ticket price , while helping us to continue our ambitious vision of encouraging the ongoing expansion of global music’s presence on North American stages. Please click here and make a donation at whatever level is comfortable:.  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/445430954/globalfest2011

      The 8th annual globalFEST will be held on January 9, 2011 at Webster Hall. For more information, line-up announcements, and tickets, see www.globalfest-ny.org or call 212-545-7536.

      And speaking of world music, Lincoln Center launches its new LCDJ series at the David Rubenstein Atrium on Friday, October 2 at 9 p.m. with the New York Debut of DJ Tudo.  One of Brazil ’s hottest DJs, Tudo mixes elements of dub, funk and electronic with traditional Brazilian sounds.  He’s got some very deep rare grooves which probably haven’t been heard before in the US .  And save the date for November 6, when Derek Beres, Duke Mushroom and I bring GlobeSonic Sound System to the Atrium for a now-rare non-Pier party.

      For six weekend nights from 9 p.m. to midnight, cutting-edge DJs will present dance and listing parties as the Atrium is transformed into a modern club complete with a cash bar and lounge furniture.  Admission is FREE!   See below for the complete line-up.

      After that, scroll down for info about the incredible line-up the Dig Deeper crew and Eli “Paperboy” Reed have put together for the Brooklyn Soul Festival…

      Introducing LCDJ

      David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center
      Broadway between 62nd and 63rd Streets
      9:00 pm–midnight
      Free Admission----Cash Bar

      Saturday, October 2
      DJ Tudo
      New York Debut
      Straight from Brazil , combining dub, funk, electronic,
      and traditional Brazilian roots
      More Information

      Saturday, October 9
      Matt Shadetek

      Contemporary dancehall, U.K. funk, and dubstep
      Presented in collabration with Nat Geo Music
      More Information

      Friday, October 15
      The Bunker
      with Spinoza
      An ongoing night exploring techno, ambient, and related music
      Visuals provided by artist Seze Devres
      More Information

      Saturday, October 23
      DJ Belinda Becker

      A musical journey full of soul
      More Information

      Friday, October 29
      I Love Vinyl

      All-vinyl party with soul, disco, boogie, house, electro, and more featuring the World ' s Famous Dream Team DJs: Amir, Ge-Ology, Jon Oliver, OP!, Scribe, and The Twilite Tone
      More Information

      Saturday, November 6
      Globesonic Sound System
      DJs Acidophilus and Derek Beres and percussionist Duke Mushroom bring highenergy international music to the masses
      More Information

      Join Atrium DiscounTix to learn about free and discounted events
      at Lincoln Center . LincolnCenter.org/Atrium

      Dear Soul Fans,

      The Brooklyn Soul Festival is next week!  Set lists have been finalized, horn charts written, background vocals rehearsed, dresses picked out, string section hired.  YOU WOULD BE INSANE TO MISS THIS AMAZING LINE-UP.

      Both nights sold out last year, so get your tickets in advance!

      Dig Deeper and Eli "Paperboy" Reed Present
      THE SECOND ANNUAL BROOKLYN SOUL FESTIVAL
      OCTOBER 8-9, 2010

      The Bell House
      149 7th St , Brooklyn , NY

      SCHEDULE:

      FRIDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2010

      Soul Fest Night 1
      8:00pm Doors/DJs
      8:30pm Eli “Paperboy” Reed & the True Loves
      9:30pm Don Gardner
      10:30pm Vernon Garrett
      11:30pm BARBARA LYNN!

      SATURDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2010

      11:00am-5:00pm - Shakey’s Record Fair (front room)

      Soul Fest Night 2
      8:00pm Doors/DJs
      8:30pm The Sweet Divines
      9:30pm Renaldo Domino
      10:30pm Harvey Scales
      11:30pm BETTY HARRIS!

      Both nights feature DJs until 4am and award-winning BBQ from Brooklyn 's FETTE SAU for sale on premises!

      TICKETS
      $20 adv / $25 doors / $40 both nights advance
      (All via TicketWeb)
      Night 1 - http://tinyurl.com/bksoulfest-night1
      Night 2 - http://tinyurl.com/bksoulfest-night2
      Both nights - http://tinyurl.com/bksoulfest-both-nights