Lincoln Center Out of Doors not to be missed shows.

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2010
      What an event-filled week one of Lincoln Center Out of Doors it was - way too many highlights to capture here.  In the interest of limited time (mine) I encourage you to check www.twitter.com/LCOutfDoors if you aren't on Twitter, or follow @LCOutofDoors, so you can find links to a lot of great reviews and photos from last week's shows, and previews and artist profiles from this week's performers.  Even more on my personal feed @ActiveCultures or www.twitter.com/ActiveCultures.  You can see great photos of many of the opening week's shows on Kevin Yatarola's (www.kebya.com) growing Flickr Lincoln Center Out of Doors set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kebya/sets/72157624609028870/

      That said, I couldn't be more excited about the shows coming up in the next two weeks, too.  I'm going to include the schedule below, along with projected set times - note that a few shows actually ran AHEAD of schedule last week, so I recommend getting to shows early. And if you are coming for Asphalt Orchestra, note that the location listed is just the location of their first song - they move around the campus (as marching bands are wont to do) - so wear comfortable shoes, and if you can't get there at the beginning, let your ears guide you.

      Check www.LCOutofDoors.org for more show info, links to video, and that kind of good stuff.

      I expect to see you this week.

      Wednesday, August 4, 2010

      7:00 PM Asphalt Orchestra

      (premiering commissioned pieces written for them by Yoko Ono and David Byrne / Annie Clark (St. Vincent)

      Broadway Plaza

      7:30 PM Jose James Blackmagic

      Damrosch Park

      8:30 PM The Robert Glasper Experiment w/ Q-Tip and Bilal

      Damrosch Park

      Thursday, August 5, 2010

      7:00 PM Asphalt Orchestra

      Josie Robertson Plaza

      Paul Taylor 80th Birthday celebration

      7:30 PM Taylor 2

      (including first performance ever with a live band (Asphalt Orchestra) of Taylor's 1956 piece 3 Epitaphs)

      Damrosch Park

      8:15 PM Paul Taylor Dance Company

      Damrosch Park

      Friday, August 6, 2010

      7:00 PM Asphalt Orchestra

      Josie Robertson Plaza

      7:30 PM Hermeto Pascoal

      Damrosch Park

      8:45 Hallogallo 2010 (Michael Rother and friends perform the music of NEU!)

      Damrosch Park

      Saturday, August 7, 2010

      Family Day

      2:00 PM Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls

      Hearst Plaza

      4:00 PM Puppet Pageant

      Hearst Plaza

      6:00 PM Asphalt Orchestra

      Hearst Plaza

      7:00 PM Mucca Pazza

      Damrosch Park

      8:15 PM Balkan Beat Box

      Damrosch Park

      Sunday, August 8, 2010

      Heritage Sunday

      2:00 PM The Maeandros Ensemble

      Hearst Plaza

      3:15 PM Zikrayat

      Hearst Plaza

      4:30 Yuri Yunakov

      Hearst Plaza

      6:00 PM Asphalt Orchestra

      Broadway Plaza

      SOS: Saving Our Soul: From the Big Easy to the Big Apple

      6:15 PM New Orleans Second Line with the evening's artosts,

      led by the Big Apple Social & Pleasure Club

      Leaves Caribbean Cultural Center, 408 West 58th Street

      7:30 PM Glen David Andrews

      Damrosch Park

      8:15 PM Wild Magnolias

      Damrosch Park