Your Midsummer Night Swing weekend plans

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2010
      Hi friends,

      It's been a beautiful start to the season, with fantastic music and dancing, and perfect weather.

      Tonight, we have the legendary Haitian compas big band, Orchestre Septentrional d' Haiti, in continuous existence for over 60 years. True cultural icons.  DJ Neva of Radio Soleil spins before and in between sets: http://is.gd/dcEEn

      Tomorrow night, the powerhouse young Colombian salsa band, La-33, bring their mix of salsa, boogaloo and mambo in their first trip to NYC.  I saw them at WOMEX 2 years ago, and they blew everyone away.  This should be a treat.  DJ Turmix spins for you. http://is.gd/dcKAA

      To celebrate the close of our first week, Turmix will also spin an afterparty across the street at the Empire Hotel Lobby Bar, at 63rd and Columbus.  We'll have drink specials too - just skip the velvet rope and leave that to the roof-dwellers - head straight into the lobby after 10.

      And get ready for next week, including the first NY show by trad swing upstarts the New Orleans Moonshiners on Tuesday, and what promises to be a historic night with Joey Arias, Justin Bond, and Lea DeLaria fronting the JC Hopkins Biggish Band on Wed.

      Thurs is our first bhangra night with DJ Rekha and Red Baraat, merengue on Friday with Tony Swing, and swing on Sat with Wycliffe Gordon. (Confusing, right?)  Get all the info at www.MidsummerNightSwing.org and follow us @LCSwing.

      Want a taste of what the event is like?
      Check out the vibe on the dancefloor at Midsummer Night Swing on opening night's Battle of the Big Bands here: http://is.gd/dcIXq

      And from last night: Western Swing with the Time Jumpers featured on FoxNY. Look for Heidi Rosenau and Joe McGlynn, Lana Turner, and, uh, me. http://bit.ly/bLTy65

      See you this weekend and happy Independence Day!