Dende & Hahahaes free Afro-Brazilian Atrium show at Lincoln Center, GlobeSonic pier parties, and more

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2010

      Hi friends,

      Going to keep my intro brief and let you scroll below for more details.

      In a nutshell – free Brazilian concerts continue at the David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center tomorrow night with Dendê & Hãhãhães.  Originally from Salvador , Bahia , Dendê is an alum of the legendary Timbilada, and has been a pillar of the NYC Brazilian music scene, both with this group, and his traditional group Olagundê, who appeared at Lincoln Center Out of Doors 2 summers ago.  Celebrate the end of tax season this Thursday, April 15 at 8:30 pm, but remember, the space fills up early, so it’s recommended to come early to get in.  Food and drink available at ‘wichcraft café.  More info including bio and link to a free download below.

      Dendê & Hãhãhães
      Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 8:30
      David Rubenstein Atrium
      Target® Free Thursdays

      One of the highlights of each summer has been our GlobeSonic pier parties in Riverside Park South.  It’s been a jam-packed year full of great heights and great challenges, so coming together for a free danceparty by the water will offer a much needed celebration.  We only have 2 events this year, but we get to start much earlier, so save the dates for

      GLOBESONIC ON THE HUDSON
      GlobeSonic Sound System on The Hudson returns for our sixth season of free outdoor shows. DJ's Derek Beres, Fabian Alsultany & Bill Bragin + Duke Mushroom on percussion
      SAT May 29 & SAT June 19
      Riverside Park South | The Pier on 68th Street & the Hudson River
      4-11pm | Free

      You’ll be getting another email from me this week with the schedule for Midsummer Night Swing, so you can find out about some of the fun I’ve been planning for you this summer.  Get ready….tickets and passes will go on sale, too.  (Lincoln Center Out of Doors announcement is a few weeks down the line…)

      Midsummer Night Swing Tickets and Pasess On Sale April 15

      Finally, our friends at 651 Arts in Brooklyn have put together a great performance series of artist talks and collaborations LIVE & OUTSPOKEN featuring

      Lynn Nottage, Hugh Masekela, Sonia Sanchez, Ronald K. Brown, Ralph Lemon, Jimmy “Duck” Holmes, April Yvette Thompson & Somi, each Tuesday between April 27 and May 18. Scroll below for more info or visit www.651Arts.org

      David Rubenstein Atrium

      Dendê & Hãhãhães
      Dendê

      Dendê & Hãhãhães
      Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 8:30
      David Rubenstein Atrium
      Target® Free Thursdays

      Led by master percussionist Dendê, Hãhãhães brings its entrancing, sophisticated blend of Brazilian, Cuban, and African sounds to Lincoln Center .

      Learn More

      Jen Shyu
      Jen Shyu

      Jen Shyu
      Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 8:30
      David Rubenstein Atrium
      Target® Free Thursdays

      Joined by a stellar jazz ensemble, experimental jazz artist Jen Shyu sings, dances, and plays works from her latest album, Jade Tongue.

      Presented in collaboration with Bronx Council on the Arts

      Learn More

      Target® Free Thursdays is generously underwritten by Target.

      The album, Bahia de Todos os Santos is finally available and we're giving away free samples to people on our email list. Click here to download an MP3 of the title track Bahia de Todos os Santos . Then, once you've checked it out, go to CDBaby, Itunes or Amazon to buy the whole album. We'll be playing at Lincoln Center on the 15th, so come check us out!!

      Thursday, April 15th at 8:30pm - Free!!

      The David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center
      Broadway between 62nd & 63rd Sts.

      Please also check out the other event listings below...

      Brazilian Master Percussionist Dendê and His Band Hãhãhães

      Release Bahia de Todos os Santos

      Dendê’s Debut Album Melds Traditional Afro-Brazilian Rhythms with the Global Pulse of Jazz, Reggae, Funk, Rumba and Afrobeat

      Dendê is a percussionist, singer, composer, bandleader, teacher, and multi-instrumentalist. He’s been a professional musician since the age of 14, when he appeared in the frontline of Timbalada, Carlinhos Brown’s superstar percussion ensemble. Since 2001, he’s been splitting his time between New York and Bahia, and has played with Mongo Santamaria, Giovanni Hidalgo , Zakir Hussain, David Bryne, and Vinicius Cantuária. His own bands include the folkloric music and dance troupe Ologundê, the acoustic Samba de Três, and Arrastão do Dendê, a traditional Afro bloco (samba party band), but it’s as leader and principal songwriter of Hãhãhães that Dendê has made his greatest impact.

      Hãhãhães, named in honor of a Brazilian indigenous tribe, has been packing clubs and festivals up and down the East Coast and internationally for the past five years. The band combines Brazil ’s rhythm heavy music with the grooves of afrobeat, reggae, merengue, and others from around the world. Bahia de Todos os Santos, their debut album, showcases the band’s sizzling showmanship and versatility.

      Dendê was born and raised in Salvador , a city in Bahia , Brazil ’s most African state. “I grew up in a poor neighborhood, surrounded by traditional music. When I was a kid I would play rhythms on the kitchen table and tell my mom I was going to be famous some day. I used to hold the drums for the older timbal players at the sambas de roda and after they’d finished playing, they’d let me play and show me the different rhythms.” Dendê also soaked up the rhythms he heard at the candomblé ceremonies he would go to in his neighborhood.

      At 14, Dendê auditioned for Timbalada, the two hundred-piece percussion troupe founded by superstar Carlinhos Brown. He started in the last line and worked his way up to the front. One day Brown noticed Dendê; he was impressed with his powerful technique and made him a featured performer in the Timbalada show band. Over his eight years in the band, Dendê toured internationally with Timbalada and recorded many of their albums. He was also given the opportunity to perform and record with some of the superstars in Brazilian music like Carlinhos Brown, Marisa Monte, Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil among many others.

      When Timbalada trimmed down to a smaller unit, Dendê got cut, so he tried his hand at teaching. One of his students changed his life. “This guy from Rio named Flavio asked me to give him lessons,” Dendê recalls. “We clicked and after five days of knowing me he asked me if I’d think about moving to New York .” A few months later, a ticket to New York came in the mail. “Flavio played in the subway to make enough money to buy me that ticket. When I got to New York , I played in the subway with him and slept on his couch.”

      Having established a second base in New York , Dendê's groups Ologundê, Samba de Três, Arrastão and Hãhãhães flourished. " New York has given me opportunities that I would never have at home." Splitting his time between Bahia and New York has also infused his music with an unmistakable international flavor.

      The album’s title track, “Bahia de Todos os Santos ,” summons the orixás, the sacred spirits of candomblé, a religion with West African roots, with an uplifting blend of funk and reggae. “Casa de Ferreiro,” a song that fuses afrobeat with the traditional ijexá rhythm, is an homage to the resilience of the Africans who built Brazil and features Amayo from Antibalas on vocals. Vinicius Cantuária is featured on electric guitar on “Sinaleira,” a musical portrait of street life in Salvador ’s ghetto.

      Bahia de Todos os Santos was recorded in one intense daylong session, live in the studio, with producer Manfred Knoop. Ze Luis, who also plays sax and flute in Hãhãhães contributed additional production. Marcos Vigio produced the vocal overdubs and contributed to the final mixing and editing to give the tracks their commanding presence. Dendê and Hãhãhães will soon be taking their music to the people with an energetic show that combines a relentless groove, first class musicianship, and socially conscious lyrics that will move your spirit as well as your body.

      TOUR DATES::

      4/5  Ithaca , NY
         Cornell University
      4/15 New York , NY
      David Rubenstein Atrium

      At Lincoln Center

      4/28 Newark , NJ

          Rutgers University
      4/29 Princeton , NJ
           Princeton University
       {More Dates Coming Soon}

      Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter, Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith present FELA!, “This Decade’s Most Exhilarating New Musical!” ( USA Today).   Based on the life of groundbreaking African composer and performer Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, FELA! is the critically acclaimed Broadway musical that uses Afrobeat music (a blend of jazz, funk and African rhythm and harmonies) to explore Fela Kuti’s life as an artist, political activist and revolutionary musician.

      Directed and choreographed by Tony® Award winner Bill T. Jones, FELA! is a provocative hybrid of concert, dance and musical theatre.  Come for the music.  Come for the dancing.  Come electrify your soul. Join the Movement @
      www.felaonbroadway.comClick here for a special discount offer!

        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      651 ARTS launches a new performance series

      LIVE & OUTSPOKEN

      Featuring

      Lynn Nottage, Hugh Masekela, Sonia Sanchez, Ronald K. Brown, Ralph Lemon, Jimmy “Duck” Holmes, April Yvette Thompson & Somi

      The Brooklyn-based, 651 ARTS – a performing arts organization dedicated to supporting and celebrating the multi-faceted work of contemporary performing artists of the African

      Diaspora – announces a new live performance/interview series featuring artist-to-artist interviews with innovators in contemporary dance, theater, music and literature.

      Beginning on Tuesday, April 27 and running every Tuesday through May 18, 651 ARTS launches, LIVE & OUTSPOKEN – a 4-week series that celebrates the scope of work being made by artists of African descent today. LIVE & OUTSPOKEN features literary, musical and performance powerhouses interviewing established and rising stars who are making their

      indelible marks in the performing arts world today, including: choreographer Ronald K. Brown; Bentonia, Mississippi bluesman Jimmy “Duck” Holmes; choreographer Ralph Lemon; South African musician/composer Hugh Masekela; Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Lynn Nottage (Ruined); poet/playwright/activist Sonia Sanchez (Homegirls and Handgrenades); multi-talented musician/performer Somi; and actress/writer April Yvette Thompson (Liberty City). Each evening provides a vastly different interview experience for artist and audience through juxtaposition of place, voice, perspective and style – all evenings will offer insights into the methods, lives, artistry and social concerns of some of the worlds’ most engaging artists.

      651 ARTS Executive Director, Georgiana Pickett explains, “We are excited to have this opportunity to bring together such talented artists to converse across disciplines, generations and experiences. Each artist will bring his or her unique personality and artistry to the table for dynamic conversations and performance that won’t happen anywhere else.”

      In addition to the conversation - and in keeping with 651 ARTS dedication to live performance - the subject of the interview will demonstrate his/her artistic form throughout the evening and, if possible, the participants will collaborate artistically during the 90-minute event. The interviews will be staged in specially curated venues in Brooklyn and Manhattan – including The Mark Morris Dance Studio, BRICstudio, The Kumble Theater for the Performing Arts and the West Village home of Emmy Award-winning writer/producer Tom Fontana.

      LIVE & OUTSPOKEN

      2010

      Award-winning choreographer RALPH LEMON interviews

      Mississippi bluesman JIMMY “DUCK” HOLMES

      Tuesday, April 27, 2010

      At the West Village home of Tom Fontana

      7:00pm | $35

      For tickets call, 718-636- 4181 x2229

      Seating is extremely limited. Advance purchase required. Address information will be provided upon ticket purchase.

      Mississippi bluesman, Jimmy “Duck” Holmes, plays a distinct straight from the Delta Bentonia Blues that has gained him recognition across the world. This is a rare

      opportunity to hear Holmes’s solo acoustic guitar and soulful vocals in an intimate salon setting. Choreographer Ralph Lemon, a long-time friend, speaks with Holmes

      about his life, art and ownership of the oldest known juke joint in Mississippi : The Blue Front. Ralph Lemon is Artistic Director of Cross Performance, a company dedicated to

      the creation of cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary performance and presentation. In 2005, Lemon concluded The Geography Trilogy, a decade-long international

      research and performance project that spanned three continents as it explored race, history and memory. The project featured three evening-length dance/theater

      performances: Geography (1997); Tree (2000); and Come home Charley Patton (2004); two Internet art projects; the publication of two books by Wesleyan

      University Press; and several gallery exhibitions. Lemon is the recipient of a 2009 John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, and a 2009 New York

      Foundation for the Arts Fellowship for Interdisciplinary Work. In 2006, he was one of 50 artists to receive the inaugural United States Artists Fellowship. He has also

      received a 2005 "Bessie" (NY Dance and Performance) Award in recognition of The Geography Trilogy.

      Jimmy "Duck" Holmes has lived a life steeped in blues. Today he is the last living practitioner of the celebrated style of Bentonia blues made famous by Skip James and Jack Owens. In addition, Holmes operates what is arguably the oldest juke joint in Mississippi , The Blue Front. Born to sharecroppers Carey and Mary Holmes in the summer of 1947, Jimmy "Duck" Holmes has lived his entire life in and around the small Mississippi town of Bentonia, home to one of the most unusual and beloved strains of Delta blues. Various blues researchers including Alan Lomax recorded Holmes beginning in the ‘70s. Holmes has released three CDs on the St. Louis-based record label Broke & Hungry, his debut CD Back to Bentonia (2006), Done Got Tired of Tryin’ (2007), and Ain’t It Lonesome (2009).

      Poet/playwright/activist SONIA SANCHEZ interviews

      Choreographer RON BROWN

      Tuesday, May 4, 2010

      Mark Morris Dance Center , Brooklyn

      7:00pm | $20

      SmartTix.com or call 212-868-4444

      Award winning- choreographer, dancer and community leader Ronald K. Brown will open the evening with a rarely seen solo performance. Legendary poet and activist Sonia Sanchez talks with Brown about the 25th anniversary of his dance company, Evidence, the inspiration for his work, and their shared commitment to social change. Award-winning American poet, Sonia Sanchez is one of the chief definers of the mid-twentieth century Black Arts Movement. Along with other poets, she formed a writer’s workshop in Greenwich Village , which included legendary figures Amiri Baraka and Askia Muhammad Touré. Sanchez’s accomplishments are many: while teaching at San Francisco State College (now University), she played an integral role in developing some of the first black studies courses in the nation, including a class in Black English. Her work as an academic has continued over the years and she has taught at universities throughout the country; by 2003, she had lectured at over 500 universities and colleges in the United States . A prolific writer of plays, books and poetry, her published works include: Homecoming Poems; We a BaddDDD People; Liberation Poems; It’s a New Day: Poems for Young Brothas and Sistuhs; A Blues Book for Blue Black Magical Women; I've Been a Woman: New and Selected Poems (1981); and Sanchez's acclaimed, Homegirls and Handgrenades (1984) which received the American Book Award. Among her many honors, include

      the PEN Writing Award; the American Academy of Art and Letters’ $1,000 Award to Continue Writing; National Education Association Award; the American Book Award; and a Pew Fellowship in the Arts.

      Choreographer Ronald K. Brown is the founder and Artistic Director of the Evidence, A Dance Company in Brooklyn , New York , now celebrating its 25th anniversary. Brown uses movement as a way to reinforce the importance of community in African American culture and to acquaint audiences with the beauty of traditional African forms and rhythms. He is an advocate for the growth of the African American dance community and is instrumental in encouraging young dancers to choreograph and to develop careers in dance. Brown’s choreography is

      in high demand. He has created works for Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Ailey II, Cleo Parker Robinson Ensemble, Dayton Contemporary Dance Company, Jennifer Muller/The Works, Jeune Ballet d’Afrique Noire, Ko-Thi Dance Company, Philadanco and others. He choreographed Regina Taylor’s award-winning play Crowns, and won an AUDELCO Award for his work on that production.

      South African composer HUGH MASEKELA interviews

      Musician/performer SOMI

      Tuesday, May 11, 2010

      Kumble Theater for the Performing Arts,

      at Long Island University , Brooklyn Campus