Free performance by Asphalt Orchestra, plus globalFEST schedule - this weekend!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2010

      Happy New Year, old friends.

      It’s been a little while since you’ve heard from me here, but there are a few very important events this week that I want to make sure you know about.

      ASPHALT ORCHESTRA @ Target Free Thursdays

      Thursday, January 7, 2010

      8: 3pm pm

      FREE, no tix needed

      David Rubenstein Atrium @ Lincoln Center

      Broadway and 62nd Street | NYC

      First, by now you should be aware that in mid-November Lincoln Center has opened its newest space, the David Rubenstein Atrium (www.lincolncenter.org/atrium).  The space opened with the Target Free Thursdays series of free performances every Thursday at 8:30 pm.  Then the new ‘wichcraft restaurant opened (Top Chef Tom Colicchio’s delicious and very reasonably priced sandwich shop – open breakfast thru dinner, plus cocktails).  This Thursday, we’re proud to introduce the new discount Zucker Box Office – offering day-of-show discount tickets to all 12 Lincoln Center resident organizations  - with a very special $20 Tickets for 20 Days promotion.  The box office opens at noon, Tuesdays – Sundays.

      And of course, Target Free Thursdays continue this week, Jan 7 at 8:30 pm, with a very special performance by the Asphalt Orchestra (www.asphaltorchestra.com)  – the 12-piece marching band commissioned by Lincoln Center and debuted at Lincoln Center Out of Doors this summer to wide acclaim. (Their guerilla performance in Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station was even picked by the Philly Inquirer as on e of the top “Classical” events of 2009 – I guess in Philly, they consider music by Goran Bregovic, Frank Zappa, Bjork, Stew & Heidi, Tyondai Braxton of Battles, Charles Mingus and Swedish metal band Meshuggah to be classical.  Who are we to disagree?)  No tickets are required, but since its opening, most shows have been filled to capacity and seating is limited, especially for this one, so I recommend coming early – maybe checking out the fine food at ‘wichcraft.

      Also, Midsummer Night Swing fans will want to save the date for Thursday, January 21 @ 8:30 when Michael Arenella & His Hot 8 bring back the hot jazz spirit of the roaring 20’s.

      globalFEST 2000

      Sunday, January 10, 2010 | 7 pm

      Webster Hall | 125 East 11th Street btwn 3rd and 4th Aves | NYC

      Tickets:  $40 http://www.ticketmaster.com/Globalfest-2010-tickets/artist/1355981 or by phone through 800-745-3000

      Tickets may be available at the door, but advance purchase is recommended.

      www.globalFEST-ny.org

      Those of you who have subscribed to my lists for a while already know that globalFEST is one of favorite events of the year.

       In its 7th year, this co-production with Isabel Soffer of World Music Institute and Shanta Thake of Joe’s Pub at the Public Theater, is designed to bring a dozen of the finest world music artists under one roof all in one night for an extraordinary 3-stage festival.  The event is scheduled to coincide with the annual Association of Performing Arts Presenters (APAP) annual conferences, and the line-up is designed to present artists who will be revelations to both music fans and to artistic directors who will be booking some of these artists in their upcoming seasons.

      Don’t worry if the names aren’t familiar to you now – that’s the point.  And 4 artists will be making their US debuts and one their NY debut that night.  But don’t be surprised if by the end of the night, you’ve discovered a new favorite artist.  Performances overlap on three floors, so you can choose to sample each artist, or stop and watch complete, fully produced sets when you find an artist you especially love.  The next set is just a staircase away.  The line-up is intentionally diverse, running the gamut from traditional roots music to club beats to unique how-did-they-come-up-with-that hybrids.  If you want to map out your plans in advance, check the performance schedule below (and note that in each of the past editions set times really *do* follow the schedule below.)  And if you want to learn more about each of the artists so you can prioritize, visit http://www.globalfest-ny.com/artistinfo and follow us on Twitter @globalFEST_NYC.  We’re grateful for the support of the Cultural Services Department of the French Embassy. www.wnyc.org and www.flavorpill.net.

      globalFEST schedule by time:

      7:00 - 8:00               Alif Naaba, West African acoustic song ( Burkina Faso – US debut)                         (Studio)

      7:00 - 7:50               Cara Dillon, striking Celtic vocalist ( Ireland )                                                                 (Marlin Room)

      7:30 - 8:15               Caravan Palace, swingin’ electro manouche jazz ( France – US debut)                      (Ballroom)

      8:10 – 9:00              Nguyên Lê’s Saiyuki Pan-Asian world jazz (Vietnam/Japan/India/France – US debut ) (Marlin Room)

      8:20 - 9:20               Cedric Watson & Bijou Creole, Grammy-nominated Creole Zydeco heir ( Louisiana ) (Studio)

      8:35 - 9:20               Namgar, Siberian shaman rock from the Central Asian steppes ( Russia – US debut) (Ballroom)

      9:20 – 10:10            François Ladrezo & Alka Omeka, Gwo-ka master ( Guadeloupe ) (Marlin Room)

      9:40 -10:40              Nightlosers, Transylvanian rockabilly/blues/Gypsy chameleons ( Romania – NY debut) (Studio)

      9:40 - 10:25             La Excelencia, old-school salsa dura revivalists (NYC)                                                (Ballroom)

      10:30 - 11:20           Federico Aubele, bolero and cumbia meets electro downtempo ( Argentina )            (Marlin Room)

      10:45 - 11:30           La Cumbiamba eNeYé, Colombian roots music party (Colombia/NYC)                     (Ballroom)

      11:00 – 12:00          Meta and the Cornerstones, African roots reggae (Senegal/NYC)                             (Studio)

      Schedule by venue:

      STUDIO:

      Alif Naaba (7:00 - 8:00)

      Cedric Watson & Bijou Creole (8:20 - 9:20)

      Nightlosers (9:40 - 10:40)

      Meta & the Cornerstones (11:00 - 12:00)

      MARLIN ROOM:

      Cara Dillon (7:00 – 7:50)

      Nguyên Lê’s Suyaiki (8:10 - 9:00)

      François Ladrezo & Alka Omeka (9:20 - 10:10)

      Federico Aubele (10:30 - 11:20)

      BALLROOM:

      Caravan Palace (7:30 – 8:15)

      Namgar (8:35 – 9:20)

      La Excelencia (9:40 – 10:25)

      La Cumbiamba eNeYe (10:45 - 11:30)

      The Arts Presenters conference has really turned NYC into a city-wide arts festival,  – also this weekend are the Winter Jazz Fest (www.winterjazzfest.com)  Under the Radar http://www.undertheradarfestival.com/ and plenty of modern dance, and lots more.  And while you need to be registered to attend many APAP events, there are a number of free panel discussions you should know about.

      Artists who are considering making a foray into the Performing Arts world should definitely try to make it to some of the free Artist workshops on Thursday: http://www.apapconference.org/free-artist-workshops.html Topics include The ABC’s of Touring: The Critical Response Process; Artists, Managers, Presenters & Producers; and Technology and New Media.

      And on Friday, come to dynamic discussions about World Music, Jazz, Classical and New Music and more. (see http://www.apapconference.org/docs/APAP10_ProgramGuide_WEB.pdf for the complete schedule) These panels offer a great opportunity to get a taste of the kinds of conversations that take place at the conference all weekend long, as well as a fantastic opportunity to connect with colleagues from all sides of the performing arts field.

      I look forward to seeing many of you this week.