Come to the Opening Week of Lincoln Center Out of Doors!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2009

      I had all these plans of sending a detailed note, but you’re going to just have to click the links below.  Suffice it to say – this is going to be a pretty spectacular week, filled with marching bands, breakdancers, martial artists, singer-songwriters, 200 guitarists, poets and emcees, punk-funkers, salsa-infused modern dancers, and all kinds of other hyphen-laden artists.  See below for more info, visit www.LCOutofDoors.org , follow our twitter feed @LCOutofDoors, and read some of the emails a few performers have sent out below.  I’ll try to include some more links to recent press when I catch my breath.

      But here are a few quick ones:

      Stew and Heidi in the NY Times  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/theater/02drake.htm

      Rhys Chatham 200 Guitars in the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/arts/music/26herm.html

      Asphalt Orchestra on WNYC http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/episodes/2009/08/05/segments/137932

      In the meantime, keep looking at the sky and thinking about the Great Drought of 2009.

      BTW, did I mention all these shows are FREEEEEEEEE!

      Forward to a friend

      Don't Miss These Free Performances!

      Enjoy longstanding favorites and discover something new when Out of Doors brings three jam-packed weeks of world-class music, dance, and spoken word to the plazas of Lincoln Center . And it’s absolutely free!

      Click here to view the full Out of Doors season.

      -

      What to See During Week One:

      • Aug. 5: Don’t miss the worldwide debut of Asphalt Orchestra, a new marching band conceived by Bang on a Can (additional performance dates listed online). The ensemble also gives a free, public performance at Philadelphia ’s 30th Street Station on August 7 at 11:45 AM, courtesy of Amtrak, Travel Partner of Lincoln Center, Inc.
      • Aug. 5: Iraqi-American trumpeter Amir ElSaffar’s expanded jazz-cum-Arabic music ensemble blends ancient Iraqi maqams with a contemporary intensity. Legendary pianist Dave Brubeck returns to Out of Doors for a first-time collaboration with oud virtuoso Simon Shaheen.
      • Aug. 6: From New York City and Chicago to South Korea and Sierra Leone , five crews from three continents reinvent hip hop dancing in Hip Hop Generation Next.
      • Aug. 7: Singer-songwriter Raul Midón’s dexterous acoustic guitar work matches his soaring vocal prowess, and singer, songwriter, and bassist Meshell Ndegeocello continues to develop the “neo-soul” genre she is credited with sparking.
      • Aug. 8: New York ’s breakbeat artistes Liquid Liquid return to share the stage with Rhys Chatham’s world premiere of A Crimson Grail for 200 Electric Guitars.
        Guitar strings generously provided by Ernie Ball.
      • Aug. 9: Inspired by the Latino tradition of community gardens, La Casita is a global celebration of oral tradition through poetry and music.
      • Aug. 9: CONTRA-TIEMPO fuses salsa, Afro-Cuban, West African, hip hop, and abstract dance-theater, and Frankie Martinez’s ABAKUÁ Afro-Latin Dance Company unleashes a scintillating dance explosion of “Afro-Latin funk.”

      For More Information:

      LCOutofDoors.org
      Info Request Line 212.LINCOLN

      Follow us on Twitter!

      Lincoln Center Out of Doors 2009 is sponsored by Bloomberg
      and PepsiCo, Inc.

      To forward this e-mail to a friend or colleague, use this link.

       Asphalt Orchestra Debuts This Week!

      A note from Jessica Schmitz

      Asphalt Orchestra

      Dear Friends,

      Back when I started playing flute, I never anticipated that one day I’d be playing death metal on a plastic piccolo while climbing the walls of Lincoln Center wearing combat boots. Funny how life works, though, because this week that’s exactly what I’ll be doing!

      From August 5-9 I’m thrilled to be joining Bang on a Can as we launch the new 12-piece street band ‘Asphalt Orchestra’ in New York and Philadelphia at Lincoln Center Out of Doors Festival and Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station. Featuring premieres of ambitious processional music from every corner of the world, Asphalt Orchestra offers new works in an ultra-populist form accessible to the mobile masses.

      On the bill: new works by Tyondai Braxton (of Battles), Balkan legend Goran Bregovic, and Stew and Heidi Rodewald (of Passing Strange), plus arrangements of music by Bjork, Meshuggah, Charles Mingus, Conlon Nancarrow, and Frank Zappa.

      Featuring: yours truly (piccolo), Alex Hamlin, Peter Hess, Ken Thomson (saxophones), Shane Endsley, Stephanie Richards (trumpets), Jen Baker, Alan Ferber (trombones), Ken Bentley (sousaphone), Sunny Jain, Nick Jenkins, and Yuri Yamashita (percussion) with choreography by Susan Marshall and costume design by Elizabeth Hope Clancy.

      Performances in NYC will take place nightly from August 5th through August 9th at 7:00-7:30 P.M. in different locations across the Lincoln Center campus (see below).

      And in the morning on August 7 Asphalt Orchestra will board an Amtrak train at New York’s Penn Station and head to Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station for an 11:45 A.M. show in the North Waiting Room, then re-board the train and head back to NYC for the evening set.

      Needless to say, it’d be awesome to see you all at these shows! The full schedule is below, and more info is available on our Facebook page. You can also check out a video preview on Time Out New York 's "The Volume" blog here.

      All best,
      Jessica

      Asphalt Orchestra Performance Schedule

      Wed Aug.5, 7pm
      Starts at Broadway Plaza ( Alice Tully Hall)
      Program: Stew & Heidi Rodewald, Meshuggah, Mingus, Braxton, Bregovic

      Thu Aug.6, 7pm
      Starts at North Plaza/Hearst Plaza (Library for the Performing Arts)
      Program: Zappa, Nancarrow, Bjork, Braxton, Bregovic

      Fri Aug. 7, 11:45am
      Philadelphia ’s 30th Street Station, North Waiting Room

      Fri Aug.7, 7pm
      Starts at Josie Robertson Plaza (Fountain in front of Avery Fisher Hall)
      Program: Braxton, Zappa, Mingus, Bjork, Bregovic

      Sat Aug.8, 7pm
      Starts at South Plaza ( Damrosch Park )
      Program: Zappa, Braxton, Nancarrow, Bregovic, Meshuggah

      Sun Aug.9, 7pm
      Starts at Broadway Plaza ( Alice Tully Hall)
      Program: Stew and Heidi Rodewald, Meshuggah, Bjork, Nancarrow, Bregovic

      Click here for a map of the Lincoln Center Campus, and click here a complete Lincoln Center Out of Door 09 schedule.

      Asphalt Orchestra has been made possible through the generous support of The Rockefeller Foundation's New York City Cultural Innovation Fund and by Lincoln Center for Lincoln Center Out of Doors.

       Dear friends, family, partners in crime, and lovely strangers:

      Apologies to those of you not on facebook (facebook me now!), as you're just hearing of this FREE performance at Lincoln Center tomorrow.

      Bajah + The Dry Eye Crew

      FREEEEE!

      Lincoln   Center  at  Damrosch   Park

      Southwest corner of the Lincoln Center Plaza , at 62nd Street bet. Columbus and Amsterdam Aves.

      7:30 - show starts

      8:45 - Bajah performs

      Please forgive the late notice.

      And please, please do come to our best, most electrifying show to date, tomorrow, August 6th.  No tickets required -- it's free.

      Fresh off a spate of amazing press (for links, see below) including the New Yorker, ABC news, a panel hosted by the Wall Street Journal with ?uestlove from the Roots and Chuck D from Public Enemy and Steve Stoute, a picture on the Jimmy Fallon show, and too many blogs to count, our show will be replete with enough energy and magic to lift Manhattan off its hinges. (Does Manhattan have hinges? We shall see.)

      Our 15-member band-cum-performance troupe will be lit by an elaborate light show, enhanced by young break-dancing boy soldiers and barely-clothed, lithe-bodied dancers, and a rare appearance by one of Sierra Leone 's traditional devils.

      The show starts at 7.30pm, we will hit the stage at 8.45pm, and all the festivities will end promptly at 10pm.

      We can't WAIT to see you there.

      And if you haven't already, be sure to download our free mixtape which launched last week off of http://www.planetbajah.com.

      Much love,

      Ginny

      Ps. If you want off this list, please email me and your wishes, at least this one, will come true.

      Press!!!

      NEW YORKER:
      http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sashafrerejones/2009/07/singing-in-tongues.html

      WALL STREET JOURNAL:
      http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2009/08/04/live-blogging-summer-scoops-live-planet-hip-hop-uestlove-chuck-d-and-bajah/

      ABC NEWS:
      http://blogs.abcnews.com/amplified/2009/07/this-weekend-the-brooklyn-museum-added-another-dimension-to-its-visual-arts-exhibitions-outside-in-the-courtyard-bajah-t.html

      JIMMY FALLON:
      http://www.hulu.com/watch/86009/late-night-with-jimmy-fallon-tue-jul-28-2009
      (check around 9 mins in to see the flash of Bajah)

      Hhgn09augustevents

      HIP HOP GENERATION NEXT '09

      AUGUST 2 - AUGUST 9

      Last For One ~ Adesola Osakalumi ~ Thrilling ~ FootworKINGz ~ Brandon “Peace” Albright ~ Jaw Dropping ~ Rokafella ~ Picture Perfect ~ Misnomer(S) ~ Soulful ~ KR3TS ~ Kwikstep ~ MAWU ~ Dazzling ~ Lee In Soo Dance Project ~ Illstyle & Peace ~ Spectacular ~ Full Circle ~ Garrett Wilson ~ Heart Stopping ~ Le Soul Afrique ~ Chinese American Arts Council Martial Arts Society ~ Exquisite ~ Bajah + the Dry Eye Crew (Bajah, A-Klazz, & Dovy) ~ Astonishing!

      dancinginthestreets.org
      for more information.

      ***