DJ gig at Santos Thursday night, sold out Alice Tully Hall shows this weekend

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2009
      FW: Drinks - sholay pre KK/SK
      Hi all,

      It's a busy, busy week, so just a few quick things of note:

      First, just a reminder that I'll be djing a pre-Purim party and performance this Thursday night, March 5 at 7pm at Santos Party HouseGaleet Dardashti www.galeetdardashti.com of the band Divahn (who I djed with for a Purim party at Filter a few years back and who also perform at Joe's Pub) created a new multi-media piece entitled The Naming, with support from the Six Points Fellowship.  It seems like a fascinating show - I'm looking forward to seeing it as much as I am looking forward to spinning - it's been a while:
      Vashti's RevengeLink to event flyer
      March 5, 2009

      Debut of The Naming: Dardashti's live music featuring SYREN Modern Dance and video atmospheres by Lustre

      Schmooze and booze with characters from The Naming courtesy of StorahtellingDJ Acidophilus kicks things off, spinning up Middle Eastern/Mediterranean sounds at 7:30 p.m.  Dardashti, dancers and video art take the stage at 9 p.m..

      Santos Party House
      100 Lafayette St. (Just south of Canal)
      New York, NY (map)

      Tickets $10 online
      or at door (benefits Earth Birth, a global women's health collective helping women in war zones give birth safely and peacefully)

      Ticket price includes a party favor: a CD sampler featuring selections from the upcoming CD The Naming.

      About The NamingThe Queen of Sheba's shaven legs. A witch's bitter prophecy. The female superheroes who saved Moses. These stories make up The Naming, singer and composer Galeet Dardashti's exploration of the little-known lives of the Bible's phantom women. Of Persian Jewish descent, Dardashti unites the Persian classical music that made her grandfather an icon in Iran with her family's deep connection to Jewish poetry and song, creating music that springs from where midrash meets midwifery, where modal melody meets sleek modernity. Audiences will get a preview of The Naming just in time to celebrate the raucous, Persian-rooted Jewish festival of Purim--a holiday that also celebrates powerful women.

      The Naming is supported by a grant from the Six Points Fellowship for Emerging Jewish Artists, a partnership of Avoda Arts, JDub Records, and the Foundation for Jewish Culture, and made possible with major funding from UJA-Federation of New York.

      Event sponsors include Zeek, Nextbook, Lovemore, souldish, JDub Records and Storahtelling.

      I've been telling you for a while about this Saturday night's show with Ustad Shujaat Khan, Karsh Kale, Vijay Iyer and Jonathan Maron at Alice Tully Hall as part of the Opening Nights Festival.  I'm proud to say that thanks to so many of you, the show is completely sold out.  I hope you heeded my warning and bought your tickets - I can't help at this point (though sometimes there are returns the night of the show, so you can try the standby line).  (You might have noticed I haven't been talking about Friday night's Stew show - that's been sold out for a while.  Same deal.)

      If you got your tickets for Saturday night, you might want to come early and join the folks from Sholay Productions (who are behind the ongoing Desilicious parties) who organized a cash bar meet-up in the new Alice Tully lobby bar AT65 at 7:30 pm.
      http://www.sholayevents.com/popkulcha.html

      And whether you are coming to the show or not, afterwards at about 11, head on down to the front bar at LPR, where my GlobeSonic brethren Fabian and Derek will kick off Fabian's new free monthly party with an afterparty.

      GlobeSonic Sound System @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
      w/ DJs Derek Beres & Fabian Alsultany
      (Le) Poisson Rouge | 158 Bleecker St NYC
      Sat March 7 | 11 pm - 4 am | FREE

      Wanted to share a great Brooklyn moment that happened to me yesterday and salvaged what might have been an awful day.  I woke up early to shovel what was really beautiful, soft fluffy snow.  As I was starting, down the block comes a man in a giant lifesized banana suit, carrying a shovel of his own.  In a random act of kindness, he asks, "Need a hand?  What's your area?"  I show him the end of my next door neighbor's lot, which I also generally shovel, and Go Banana man and I get to work making the streets of Prospect Heights safe for pedestrians.  I guess bananas are particularly sensitive to the dangers of slip and falls.

      While I don't have any photos of us together, here is a link http://is.gd/lpKy to him jogging in Prospect Park in January.  And as he says, in response to the question, "What is this about?" - "Why does a painter paint?  You have to."

      Finally, another link - Sunday night I was at Joe's Pub to see Eric Lewis and his band ELEW, an amazing pianist who performed recently at the TED conference (his performance will probably be posted soon.) In the meantime, you can check out these drawings from Joe's Pub resident illustrator Michael Arthur, from his blog, Just Drawn That Way.

      Hope to see you soon.