Summer Programs at Lincoln Center's Damrosch Park

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2008
      Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts

      We’re just about a month away from the start of my first summer season here at Lincoln Center - Midsummer Night Swing launches on Tuesday, July 8 with the debut of Nellie McKay’s swing band, The Aristocrats (don’t forget to use the hand gesture for emphasis.)  She’ll be followed by the Godfather of Go-Go, Chuck Brown, the hot 20’s jazz of Michael Arenella & His Dreamland Orchestra, the Loser’s Lounge in a night of disco favorites, a kids dance lesson with Pierre Dulaine of Mad Hot Ballroom fame, and the hot Colombian salsa of Dante Vargas & the Cat Band.  And that’s just the first week alone – we’ll have more swing and salsa, plus incredible traditional tango, roots samba, blistering Balkan brass, rumba from Barcelona , and lots more.  Tickets are on sale now for individual shows, as well as discount multiple-event passes.  Check below for more info.  And if you are on Facebook, don’t forget to join our Midsummer Night Swing group

      If you are a guitarist, remember, there’s still a little bit more time to apply to be one of the volunteer guitarists in the mammoth electric guitar orchestra for Rhys Chatham’s A Crimson Grail for 200 Electric Guitars which we are presenting at Lincoln Center out of Doors in collaboration with the Wordless Music Series, on a bill with Manuel Gottsching’s seminal electronic masterpiece E2-E4 with lighting from the legendary Joshua Light Show.  Then check the calendar for all kinds of other amazing free events, from Noche Flamenca to Getatchew Merkuria with The Ex, to Irma Thomas to Patti Smith and more.

      And what would an email from me be without a mention of Passing StrangeYou already know the cast album is on sale exclusively at iTunes, and you know that it’s been nominated for 7 Tony Awards, which both of the NY Times Theater Critics think it should win….and that the show offers one of the most indelible moments of the theater season, the call and response rave-up that culminates the end of “Keys (It’s Alright)”.  To get you primed for the Tonys, check out the Tony Awards Preview Concert, which will be broadcast in more than 50 cities around the country starting Saturday, June 7 – in NYC, it will be on CBS Channel 2 at 7 pm, but the website has national listings.  After originally being banned from performing “We Just Had Sex” (by the network which just debuted a series about suburban swingers), the cast were able to get another song together, so you’ll see get to see a production from the show on this special after all.

      Don’t forget to check out the always amazing ARChive of Contemporary Music record sale, which takes place over the next two weekend – and fill in all kinds of missing holes in your CD or Vinyl collection and support one of the most important music libraries in the world in the process.

      And see you soon!

      Midsummer Night Swing, Out of Doors Seasons Announced

      Put on your dancing shoes and come with a partner or on your own to Lincoln Center's Damrosch Park for Midsummer Night Swing. And bring the family to a jam-packed Lincoln Center Out of Doors festival that has something for absolutely everyone.

      Midsummer Night Swing takes its twentieth turn this year from July 8-26 as New York 's hottest outdoor dance party moves across the plaza to Damrosch Park , where blazing live bands will keep you moving to familiar favorites and fresh new sounds.

      From the jazz-steeped musings of chanteuse Nellie McKay & The Aristocrats Swing Band to the venerable godfather of go-go, Chuck Brown, and from A Loser's Lounge Night at the Disco to the Grammy Award-winning Spanish Harlem Orchestra's roasting brand of salsa, Damrosch Park is the place to be for three weeks in July.

      From August 7-24, Lincoln Center Out of Doors returns to Damrosch Park with dynamic free programs celebrating cross-cultural collaborations that blur the lines of genre and geography. Bring the family outside this August for a lively Out of Doors season that celebrates the performing arts at a price everyone can afford - absolutely free.

      Midsummer Night Swing Details & Ticketing

      Lincoln Center Out of Doors Event Details

      For Swing Passes and single tickets, visit LincolnCenter.org, call CenterCharge at 212.721.6500 or visit the Avery Fisher Hall Box Office.

      Midsummer Night Swing 2008 is sponsored by Time Warner Inc. Made possible in part by a grant from Daisy and Paul Soros and Charina Endowment Fund.

      To request a Lincoln Center Our of Doors season brochure, call 212-875-5766.

      Lincoln Center Out of Doors 2008 is sponsored by Bloomberg and PepsiCo, Inc.

      Search Calendar
      Find an event at Lincoln Center

      Map of Lincoln Center
      Venue locations & information

      Directions
      By car, subway & bus

      Reserve Parking

      Dining in the Neighborhood

      Accessibility
      Programs and Services for People with Disabilities

      Gift Certificates
      The perfect gift-anytime!

      Group Sales
      Let us help plan your group trip to Lincoln Center

      Student Discounts

      Transforming Lincoln Center
      Construction News

      News & Updates

      Home | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

      ©2006 Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc.

      Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc., 70 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York , NY 10023

      Administrative Offices 212.875.5000 | CenterCharge 212.721.6500