JOE'S PUB presents Claudia Villela, The Sway Machinery, Joy Harjo, Losers Lounge Tribute to Paul McCartney, Pierce Turner, Marie Zamora, Kelly Joe Phelps, Mike Errico and many more!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2007
      Happy Hanukkah (Chappy Chanukah) all,

      Just back from Monterrey Mexico, where the GlobeSonic Sound System brought our largest show yet to the Monterrey Forum 2007, including me, Derek Beres and Fabian Alsultany selecting, Amon and Jodan drumming, Parashakti, Akim Funk Buddha (who will play Joe's Pub on December 29) and Colin Carew dancing, Casey Meade mixing the visuals, and Joshua Jacobs helping make it all happen.  We played two nights in a spectacular all white kaleidoscopic venue as part of a 22-site old factory complex, Saturday night picking up after a monstrous live set at the stage next door by El Gran Silencio.  Thanks to our Mexican "companion" Daniel Perez for making it all so smooth once we made it to Monterrey.

      We are re-starting a monthly GlobeSonic Sound System party, with djs, and a live band set each time, kicking off on Friday December 21 with me and Derek (Fabian will be out of town for this one), and a band set by the super-funky Mocean Worker at Drom, a new spot on Avenue A where Opaline used to be, headed up by Serdar Ilhan of Maia Maheyne, the NY Gypsy Music Festival, Jazz Made in Turkey etc. December 21 will be my last day working at Joe's Pub, before I start at Lincoln Center as Director of Public Programming in early January, so you better believe we'll be making this a special party - come celebrate the new transitions with us.  And save the date for Sat January 12 for the next party, during the Arts Presenters conference.

      GlobeSonic Sound System w/Mocean Worker (band set at 11 pm)
      Brand new world music venue in the east village
      FRI 12.21.07
      Drom | 85 Ave A (5th-6th St) | NYC | 10pm-4 am | $10

      Speaking of the Arts Presenters conference, one of the highlights of the annual conference has become globalFEST - the three-stage, pay one price festival of world music of all shapes and sizes.  We've announced the full line-up on our website www.globalfest-ny.org which also has music samples from most of the bands.  You probably won't know most of their names - some of them were new to us when we programmed hem - but we expect you'll discover some favorite new revelations, whether it's ska-rock from Hungary, funky Senegalese mbalax, guitar-wielding Tuareg rockers from the deserts of Niger, Korean drummers, spectacular French polyphony and drumming, old-school Dominican son and bachata, or Italy's answer to Tom Waits, and more.  Tickets are onsale now via Ticketmaster, and we've sold out each year, so don't wait until the press comes out to get your tickets.

      As I get toward my final weeks at Joe's Pub, Shanta Thake (most deservedly named as the new acting director of Joe's Pub) and I have been on a booking frenzy, adding a ton of new show to the calendar, including Ryan Shaw on a bill with Nina Simone's daughter, Simone, a new Urban Tap collaboration between Tamango and guitarist Charlie Hunter, Varla Jean Merman, two special projects with Theo Bleckmann, including the vocal supergroup MOSS, and a very special New Year's Eve afterparty with an artist we can't announce until 2 weeks before, but you should just trust us and get your tix - for now, she's calling her self Larry Jew and her Motley Crew....

      Finally, a sad note...our friend Tom Terrell ended his battle with cancer last week.  He made his transition as he lived his life - surrounded by friends and loved ones, sharing music and positive energy.  There have been a number of tributes already appearing online, including this one on NPR, with a link to one of Tom's radio essays, so you can hear him speak for himself, read his blog at http://tomterrell.shoutpost.com/, check out some photos at http://tomterrellphotoblog.blogspot.com/as well as see tributes at Jazztimes, black rock blog Bold as Love,  Washington's City Paper (which includes details about his memorial service in Washington DC this coming weekend), and Vivien Goldman's tribute on Moli.  Tom's passion, joy, and unparalleled storytelling touched so many people, and many friends join me this week mourning his loss.  May his memory be for a blessing.

      Forward to a friend
      Don't leave your New Year's plans till the last minute;
      join us this New Year's Weekend for Noche Flamenca and
      our exclusive New Year's Eve afterparty (with artists TBA shortly).

      Don't miss globalFEST on January 13 at Webster Hall;
      featuring Chango Spasiuk (Argentina), Crooked Still (USA),
      Dulsori
        (Korea), Fallou Dieng & DLC  (Senegal),
      Lo Cor de la Plana
        (France), Little Cow (Hungary),
      Nation Beat
      (USA/Brazil), Pistolera (NYC/Mexico),
      Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic/USA), Samarabalouf (France), Toumast (Niger/France) and Vinicio Capossela (Italy).

      Look below for more information on the artists and the festival.

      In this week's letter, you can explore new music
      and interviews
      from (among others)

      Don't Forget To Check Out Our 'Just Booked'
      Section at the Bottom of the Page to catch just-added sure-to-be-sold-out-soon shows from Akim Funk Buddha,
      Tamango and Charlie Hunter

      CLAUDIA VILLELA
      Presented with Fundacion Cisneros and New York University
      Tuesday, December 4 at 7:30 PM, $15
      CLAUDIA VILLELA
      CLAUDIA VILLELA

      "The closest the jazz world is likely to ever come to a female Bobby McFerrin, the Brazilian-born genius with the blistering five-octave range is expertly skilled at working without a net."
      - Jazz Times

      "Remarkable, beautiful, towering voice"
      - The New York Times

      Claudia Villela is recognized as one of the top Brazilian singers/ composers living in the United States and for this rare New York appearance she will present new songs commissioned by the Fundación Cisneros and inspired by texts from Latin American poets active during the late 1960s and 1970s. Her CD “Inverse Universe,” recorded with the virtuoso Brazilian guitarist Ricardo Peixoto, prompted Jazz Times to call them “arguably the most interesting postmillennial interpreters of Brazilian jazz." Named “a thrilling improvisor” by Down Beat, Villela will be accompanied by Peixoto and a ensemble of world-class musicians.

      Read more...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      THE SWAY MACHINERY - Chanukah Show
      Tuesday, December 4 at 9:30 PM, $12
      THE SWAY MACHINERY
      THE SWAY MACHINERY

      “Lockwood's arrangements of Jewish cantorial songs whip up a frenzy wherein all the world's music can do that which music does best: celebrate. Such joyful synthesis is what music is all about, not to mention what New York is all about."
      - Buzz Poole, The Village Voice

      Veteran subway-performing Blues singer Jeremiah Lockwood teams up with an all-star cast of NY underground greats (musicians who have graced the records of Tom Waits, Arcade Fire, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Antibalas, to name a few) to summon voices from beneath the concrete streets. Calling upon the sounds of Malian guitars, Saharan beats, Afro-pop horns and the B-L-U-E-S, The Sway Machinery goes knocking at the gates of prayer with muscles swollen and eyes clenched.

      Read more...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      JUSTIN CURRIE of Del Amitri with guest LESLIE MENDELSON
      Wednesday, December 5 at 7:00 PM, SOLD OUT
      JUSTIN CURRIE
      JUSTIN CURRIE

      “What Is Love For” is an achingly eloquent hymnal of love and loss, written and performed with sublime purity by Justin Currie, ex-lead singer-songwriter of Del Amitri. There isn't a false note or a word that's even slightly wrong in these 11 masterpieces.”
      - San Francisco Chronicle

      Justin Currie, founder and voice of Del Amitri returns with stunning new solo album. As lead singer and main songwriter of Scottish rock/popsters Del Amitri, Currie established an enviable reputation for sterling melodic craftsmanship and pithy, forthright lyrics. What Is Love For maintains those qualities, while achieving impressive new levels of musical and emotional immediacy.

      When signing to the legendary Rykodisc Leslie Mendelson found a perfect partner for whom to record and release her Label debut which is due out in Spring 2008. Her trademark sound is inspired by the classic songwriting style of the 1960's Brill Building but is distinctly her own and modern.

      Read more...

      Listen here:

      SOLD OUT
      JOY HARJO and THE ARROW DYNAMICS BAND
      Presented in association with
      The Public Theater's Native Theater Festival
      Wednesday, December 5 at 9:30 PM, $12
      JOY HARJO
      JOY HARJO
      Joy Harjo, internationally known poet, performer, writer and musician, will perform with her new band, the Arrow Dynamics. Joy's music, grounded in her Mvskoke/Creek roots, is a mixture of poetry-rock-jazz-reggae gone native. Joy has produced 2 music cds, "Letter from the End of the Twentieth Century" and "Native Joy for Real". She and her band will perform songs from both these albums and new songs. Joy's band features Joy Harjo on poetry and sax, Larry Mitchell on guitar, Keith "Golden on bass, Robert Muller on keyboards and Alex Alexander on drums.

      Read more...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      MILTON with guest CARSIE BLANTON
      Thursday, December 6 at 7:00 PM, SOLD OUT
      MILTON
      MILTON

      “More than anything, Milton’s unique voice separates itself from anything else in the current music scene. His smoky, whiskey-cured croon has a touch of frailty to it that makes it addictively inviting.”
      - The Oxford Eagle

      “An Excellent Band…”
      - Time Out New York

      Milton first came to the attention of New York audiences when “In The City,” the exuberant song from his debut album “Scenes From The Interior,” became a college radio hit. Since then, this singer/songwriter with an unforgettable voice and elegant charm has gained widespread acclaim playing consistently sold-out shows in the New York area with his virtuoso NYC-based band.

      Carsie Blanton is a young singer-songwriter who grew up in rural Virginia and landed in Philadelphia last fall. Since then, her soulful, playful, intelligent music has prompted WXPN's Gene Shay to call her "One of the best singer-songwriters in the business". Most recently, Carsie has shared the stage with nationally hailed acts Amos Lee, Nellie McKay, Leon Redbone and Joan Armatrading.

      Read more...

      Listen here:

      SOLD OUT
      THE LOSERS LOUNGE Tribute to
      SIR PAUL MCCARTNEY
      Thursday, 12/6 at 9:30 PM, $25
      Friday, 12/7 at 7:00PM and 9:30PM, $25
      Saturday, 12/8 at 7:00PM + 9:30PM, SOLD OUT
      THE LOSERS LOUNGE Tribute to
PAUL MCCARTNEY
      THE LOSERS LOUNGE Tribute to
      PAUL MCCARTNEY
      The Losers Lounge Tribute to Sir Paul McCartney. Losers Lounge will be bringing along the quirky yet spot on arrangements of Joe McGinty, as well as their fabulous cast of characters, special guest singers and other surprises.

      Read more...

      December 8 SOLD OUT
      Tickets Available Now for December 6 + 7 - Call 212-967-7555
      CHEYENNE -The Whale CD Release
      Saturday, December 8 at 11:30 PM, $10
      CHEYENNE
      CHEYENNE
      Building on their debut album I Am Haunted, I Am Alive and the subsequent The Land Rush EP, Cheyenne is out to use past difficulties, relocation, lineup changes, and freak weather delaying cross-country recording as fuel for their brand new album The Whale. The band again uses classic songwriting structures to this time paint a picture of not only knocking on opportunity’s door, but kicking it down when no one answers. The once revolving cast of musicians is now four, the more urgent songs and tighter arrangements paying tribute to their true collaboration. The Whale is the result of Cheyenne’s journey from the Midwest to the east coast, from a one man solo project to a true-blue working band, from gentle folk desperation to rock and roll deliverance.

       Read more...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555

      PIERCE TURNER
      Sunday, December 9 at 7:00 PM, $23

      PIERCE TURNER
      PIERCE TURNER

      "Easily one of Ireland's most important rock artists of the last twenty years"
      - Tony Clayton-lea, The Irish Times

      Whether as a singer or songwriter or performer, Pierce Turner has a penchant for the unexpected and the unorthodox, re-writing the rules for all three endeavours. Sometimes he performs from behind his trusty keyboard backed by a solo instrument (sax, maybe, or violin or trombone!). Or he can be out front-of-house clambering over tables and ordering drinks from the bar. In the middle of a song! His albums to are equally mercurial, showing influences ranging from his Catholic Irish upbringing to the decadence of Lou Reed's New York, merging the upfront rock of The Byrds, The Beach Boys and The Who to deft touches of Irish trad, folk, jazz, techno, classical and choral harmonies.

      Read more...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      DIVAHN / SMADAR
      Presented with The Sephardic Music Festival
      Sunday, December 9 at 9:30 PM, $15 advance $18 at door
      DIVAHN
      DIVAHN

      Front-woman, lead singer, and anthropologist Galeet Dardashti follows a family tradition of distinguished musicianship dating back to 19th-century Persia. But it was down in Austin, Texas, where Divahn's bold all-woman Mizrahi/Sephardi ensemble began dazzling audiences with its Middle Eastern grooves. Today, the NYC-based group has engendered an international following, infusing traditional and original Jewish songs with sophisticated harmonies, entrancing improvisations, and funky arrangements.

      An exciting new voice emerging from the NYC world music scene, Smadar is an Israeli-Moroccan singer whose craft is best described as pan-Mediterranean music peppered with a gypsy sound. Smadar sings original and creative renditions of traditional tunes in Hebrew, Arabic, and Ladino. The Epoch Times International recently dubbed Smadar"a euphonious and haunting voice" for peace and unity, while the internationally-renowned nonprofit organization Seeds of Peace honored her with an award for "uniting cultures to achieve peace through music."

      Read more...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      MARIE ZAMORA - Suite Française
      Monday, December 10 at 7:30 PM, $20
      MARIE ZAMORA
      MARIE ZAMORA
      French singer and actress Marie Zamora presents SUITE FRANCAISE - A collection of some of her favorite classic French songs spanning the last two centuries. Marie celebrates the music of Bizet, Poulenc, Debussy and Duparc as well as songs by contemporary artists such as - Michel Legrand, Edith Piaf and Barbara. Marie incorporates an instrument long associated with French music – the accordian – as well as piano, cello and original paint

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)