JOE'S PUB presents The Cinematic Orchestra, Ze Renato of Boca Livre, Jill Sobule, Karsh Kale, Jeremiah, NOMO, The Deelees (with members of The Lascivious Biddies) and many more!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5 10:07 AM
      Sorry it's so late this week - we were closed yesterday, and I decided that sending out the email on Tuesday afternoon before a holiday was a bad idea.  But that also means you didn't get a reminder about the two amazing shows we had in the Pub that night.  Though you missed the show, I highly recommend you check out the music below by Nik Bartsch's Ronin, and Bickram Ghosh's Rhythmscape, as well as the links to interviews they recently gave to John Seroff.

      So Passing Strange (check it on youtube) ended its extended run last Sunday - thanks to all of you who put up with my badgering, came to the shows, served as ambassadors and spread the word to their friends....we had so much support from so many enthusiastic fans, it was a really gratifying journey, and hopefully one that isn't totally over.  We got one piece of amazing news last week - Passing Strange was selected for inclusion in The Best Plays 2006-2007 Theater Yearbook, an anthology which will be found in libraries and bookstores all over the country, where it joins both of this year's TONY-Award winners - Tom Stoppard's Coast of Utopia, And  Spring Awakening, Pulitzer Prizewinner August Wilson's Radio Golf, MacArthur "genius" winner Sarah Ruhl's The Clean House, and more.  This means, at least in some small way, Passing Strange is now part of the theater canon.  In other words, yo, bum rush the show, indeed.

      And in related news, Stew has left town for Berlin, but will be stopping back through on a weekend that we coincidentally had a show cancellation (Azymuth had to postpone their tour to the fall.)  So we have added a special show back home in Joe's Pub for Stew & The Negro Problem - if Passing Strange was the first time you encountered Stew and Heidi's brilliant songwriting, come see them go back to basics, which as you might expect, isn't basic at all.  Given their recent immersion in the world of theatah, who knows what surprises to expect at this show.

      I had a great time DJing at nublu on Tuesday night, tagteaming for the first time with Mocean Worker (check out his hot new album, Cinco de Mowo and go see him with his band at nublu on Tuesdays July 10 or 24), along with amazing live sets from Wax Poetic with guests Otto (from Brasil) on vocals and percussion and Turkish singer Nil. They will be back at nublu tonight and DEFINITELY worth your time.

      And speaking of DJing, Fabian Alsultany, Derek Beres and I will once again be spinning with accompaniment by the Body Temple Drummers in 3 free sunset sessions on the Hudson at Riverside Park South.  The first one is one week from Friday, on July 13, from 7 - 11.  It's totally free and the crowds there are super cool - lots of our friends coming out to dance, along with a mix of grannies and toddlers fighting over who gets to use the glow-in-the-dark hula hoops.  Hope you can join us...

      GlobeSonic Sound System on The Hudson
      FRI 7.13.07
      FRI 8.10.07
      FRI 9.7.07
      Riverside Park South | The Pier on 68th Street & the Hudson River
      w/the Body Temple Drummers | 7-11pm | Free

      Lots more great shows coming up - longtime faves like Jill Sobule and Karsh Kale,  the super-funky Afrobeat meets nujazz of NOMO and newish projects from Pub veterans, including Lascivious Biddies' Diedre and LeeAnn in the DeeLees; Las Rubias del Norte leader and Barbes owner Olivier Conan's new Peruvian surf cumbia project - Chicha Libre, and Howard Fishman/Burnt Sugar violinist Mazz Swift with Brazz Tree, with another Burnt Sugar member, Jeremiah, showcasing his own jazzy soul vocals, plus some great Pub debuts including the extraordinary Brazilian MPB singer Ze Renato (See below for a special promotion with the BrazilFoundation for this show, and keep your eyes out for a preview in TimeOut NY which I have heard about, but not seen yet), and The Cinematic Orchestra (OK, that one is totally sold out - see them at SummerStage, but Patrick Watson, who has been singing with them, was just added to the schedule for the fall as part of the Upper North Side Canadian Music series......), and lots more that you can read about below.  Also keep your eyes out for new shows just added. We got some good ones for ya.

      OK, hitting send so you can start checking out the free downloadable MP3s and interview downloads, and start buying tickets before more shows are sold out.

      And in the spirit of Independence and patriotism, check out the info at the bottom of this email for a petition from MoveOn.org encouraging our government to actually follow the systems of checks and balances that the Founders so thoughtfully built into the system to keep the balance of power between one branch or another. Oh, I forgot, the Vice Presidential office is neither Executive or Legislative, so rules don't apply....

      In this week's letter, you can explore new music from (among others)
      Don't Forget To Check Out Our 'Just Booked'
      Section at the Bottom of the Page to catch just-added sure-to-be-sold-out-soon shows from

      Patrick Watson, Budos Band,  Stew,
      Momus and Yximalloo, Leah Siegel, Rachael Sage,
      Daniel Reichard and more!

       Please note that Joe's Pub will be closed on Wednesday, July 4th.
      Enjoy the fireworks!
      NIK BARTSCH'S RONIN
      Tuesday, July 3 at 7:30 PM, $18
      NIK BARTSCH'S RONIN
      NIK BARTSCH'S RONIN

      “Citing James Brown as well as Kurosawa, Bärtsch's "Zen-funk" is minimalism that doesn't risk inscrutability by sticking too long in one groove. Built from repeating piano figures with clarinet, bass, and a double dose of percussion for springworks, these "modules" improvise not note by note but section by unexpected section." - Tom Hull, Village Voice

      With the zen-funk quintet Ronin founded in 2001, Nik Baertsch, a composer and pianist from Zurich, together with Kaspar Rast (drums), Björn Meyer (bass), Andi Pupato (percussion) and lately Sha (bass/contrabass clarinet), proceeds with his work on ritual groove music...

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555

      BICKRAM GHOSH'S RHYTHMSCAPE
      Tuesday, July 3 at 9:30 PM, $20
      BICKRAM GHOSH
      BICKRAM GHOSH

      “Captivating, colourful and charismatic are the words which popped into my head as I sat enthralled by a performance by one of India’s leading artists. The performance was sensational, inspiring and energetic …"
      - Essex Observer, UK

      Ranked amongst the great tabla players of India and known for his considerable body of work alongside Ravi Shankar, Bickram Ghosh is equally brilliant within traditional as well as experimental genres. RhythmScape marks Mr. Ghosh's hugely successful maiden project as a composer and showcases the fertile imagination of this brilliant artist...

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      THE DEELEES featuring DEIDRE RODMAN and
      LEE ANN WESTOVER of THE LASCIVIOUS BIDDIES /
      BETH SORRENTINO
      Thursday, July 5 at 7:00 PM, $12
      THE DEELEES
      THE DEELEES

      Sparkling with angelic vocal harmonies, The DeeLees power-pop anthems will leave you charmed and exhilarated. The band borrows heavily from the worst of the 1970's and 80's while the songwriting dream team of Sunnyside recording artist Deidre Rodman and vocal diva Lee Ann Westover bring the DeeLees original music into the realm of the present day...

      Beth Sorrentino was the composer, vocalist and pianist for mid-90s indie-pop band, Suddenly, Tammy! After releasing a critically acclaimed 1993 debut album Suddenly, Tammy! on SpinArt, the band was signed by Warner Bros...

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      CHICHA LIBRE / BOMBADIL
      Thursday, July 5 at 9:30 PM, $15
      CHICHA LIBRE
      CHICHA LIBRE

      Chicha Libre plays a mixture of Latin rhythms, Surf music and Psychedelic pop inspired by Peruvian music from the Amazon. The Brooklyn-based band mixes up covers of forgotten Chicha classics with re-interpretation of 70s pop classics and French-tinged cumbias...

      Durham NC's Bombadil uses whimsical lyrics and upbeat melodies to create a helter-skelter fusion of honky-tonk, folk and pop. Their sound - a melange of instrumentation that revolves around piano-laden folk-rock with nods to classic rock and the British Invasion...

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      ZE RENATO (of Boca Livre)
      Friday, July 6 at 7:30 PM + 9:30 PM, $20
      ZE RENATO
      ZE RENATO

      "(Renato's) Minha Praia is mandatory in every good collection of contemporary Brazilian music... it is an ocean of beauty.” - Lenine

      With his sophisticated arrangements and repertoire, Brazilian vocalist and guitarist Zé Renato has become widely known as one of Brazil 's first-class performers, achieving stardom with the vocal and instrumental MPB quartet Boca Livre, while simultaneously developing a critically acclaimed solo career...

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      This show is supported by BrazilFoundation
      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      KARSH KALE presents Timeline
      with guests VISHAL VAID, STEVE GORN + DJ ZAKHM
      Friday, July 6 at 11:30 PM, $20
      KARSH KALE
      KARSH KALE
      An exploration of the timeline of influence in my music from the age old tradition of Hindustani classical to modern day electronica, presented in a seamless musical performance by Karsh Kale (tabla/guitar) with special guests Steve Gorn (bansuri), Vishal Vaid (vocals/keys) and DJ Zakhm (electronics)...

      Read More...

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      JILL SOBULE
      Saturday, July 7 + July 8 at 7:00 PM, $18
      JILL SOBULE
      JILL SOBULE
      "Jill Sobule can claim her place among the stellar New York singer-songwriters of the last decade. Topical, funny and more than a little poignant ... grown-up music for an adolescent age."
      - The New York Times

      A remarkable songwriter, Jill Sobule sings smart, funny and poignant pop songs that transcend being merely witty and clever to strike deep emotional chords, set to irresistible, well-crafted melodies...

      Read More...

      Listen Here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      JEREMIAH
      Saturday, July 7 at 9:30 PM, $15
      JEREMIAH
      JEREMIAH

      “A songwriter with an innate ability for passionate songwriting that one
      cannot learn"
      - Billboard Magazine

      Rising star Jeremiah, possess' a velvety 5 octave range and a palate filled with opera, jazz, R&B, gospel and folk while highlighting beautiful, honest song lyricism. This Rochester, NY born, New England Conservatory trained artist has created a sound all his own deeply rooted in refinement...

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      KATE VALENTINE'S Pillow Biters with Dynasty Handbag,
      Bradford Scobie, The World Famous BOB and more!
      Saturday, July 7 at 11:30 PM, $15
      KATE VALENTINE
      KATE VALENTINE

      From the woman who brought you The Va Va Voom Room & The Baby Daddy Show, Kate Valentine is a Pillow Biter in a high-class comedy show!  Please join Kate and her revolving cast of weekly guests for a night of hilarity. Featuring downtown comedy greats including Bradford Scobie, The World Famous BOB, Mike Iveson Jr., Dynasty Handbag and many, many more. LAFFS! Music! Dancing! And…More Laffs!

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      THE CINEMATIC ORCHESTRA
      Sunday, July 8 at 9:30 PM, $20
      THE CINEMATIC ORCHESTRA
      THE CINEMATIC ORCHESTRA

      The aptly-named The Cinematic Orchestra was formed by Jason Swinscoe back in 1999. Jason arrived at London Bridge from Scotland with a background playing bass and guitar in bands and DJing. His head was full of ideas and influences, such as his love of jazz bass players, rhythm, sections and film soundtracks. Eight years and three albums later The Cinematic Orchestra return with the stunning Ma Fleur, their first full studio album since 2002s acclaimed Everyday...

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      SOLD OUT

      NOMO
      Monday, July 9 at 7:30 PM, $12

      NOMO
      NOMO

      "It's only one album, but this record places Nomo rather firmly near the head of an emerging pack of Afrobeat revival bands.  Naturally, there's the affinity with Fela, so Afrobeat and Afro-jazz afficionados are encouraged to give a listen. Anyone else who just wants to dance can come along, too."
      - Pitchfork

      On NOMO’s debut album, New Tones on Ubiquity Records, home-made Detroit electronics and huge horn sections blast big band funk and riotous jazz. NOMO’s roots are firmly planted in the fertile soil of African polyrhythm and American free jazz, and bandleader Elliot Bergman’s tracks draw inspiration from cultures and generations wildly different than his home setting...

      Read More...

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)