JOE'S PUB presents Sinead O'Connor, Martirio, David Yazbek, Burnt Sugar, Selim Sesler, Kiki and Herb, Burnt Sugar, Selim Sesler and many more!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2007
      OK, so here's the deal....I've been watching Passing Strange almost every night and I continue to be blown away by the show, waking up daily with the songs in my head, as do many of the people I have been talking to who have seen it. Big thanks to all my friends who have come in from as far away as Florida, DC, Chicago, California, Cobble Hill, the Upper West Side, Prospect Heights and beyond to see the show, and thanks to everyone who has enthusiastically offered to spread the word.  It really means a lot.

      Those of you who are more music people than theater people may not understand how previews work - essentially, until press is invited to come for reviews starting this Friday night, the show is a work in constant evolution, and I can tell you that each show I've seen has gotten better and better and better. Last night completely floored me - gave me an adrenaline rush that knocked out the hangover from my HS reunion the night before (big up LHS '85), and left at least one audience member in a crumpled heap of tears.  In a good way.  I've talked a lot about the piece as a show about race, identity, and coming of age as an artist.  But it's also about the relationship of a young adult and his mother, as he grows older, leaves the nest to discover the world and discover himself in the process, and eventually having to deal with the choices he's made in his life and how they affect his relationship to "mother gravity".  I can't think of a better piece to see this Mother's Day weekend - it will be especially resonant.  And yeah, the songs kick ass, the performances are amazing, the production is stunning and unlike what you've seen before, and if you are skeptical about "music theater" then this is the show for you. (and if you love music theater, it's also the show for you....)  Don't forget, every day , there are $20 rush tix available, an hour before curtain (cash only) and there are $25 preview tix and $35 regular run discount tix available.  And this Thursday - see below for details about a special 9:30 pm show where all tix are $20 bucks PLUS there is a cocktail party at 7 pm at Chinatown Brasserie (the old Fez/Time Cafe) so you can get some dim sum and get your drink on. And later that night, top the night with the every epic Black Rock arkestra, Burnt Sugar, with special discounts if you bring a stub from ANY performance of Passing Strange.

      I'm going to let you read below to see all the amazing shows happening this week at the Pub - the NY debut of Martirio - you can think of her as Spain's answer to Ute Lemper if she hung out more with Pedro Almodovar, perhaps; the incredible Turkish clarinetist Selim Sesler (this is a different, but equally brilliant Turkish clarinetist than Husnu, who I told you about a few weeks ago.)  There's some serious clarinetting going on in Turkey.)  There are also a ton more great shows that you can read about below, and sample free music for download, artist interviews and more.

      Remember, reading this email in depth is the best place to hear about just added upcoming shows such as the now sold out dates with artists like Suzanne Vega, Tim Finn, They Might Be Giants, Raul Midon, Asylum Street Spankers  - who you know will sell out almost as soon as we announce them.  Artists like Sinead O'Connor, who will have an intimate solo show later this month that is just onsale as you read this (special bonus for you email obsessed Monday night email readers....).  Don't wait till tomorrow, and please, don't ask me for help on this one.  I'm lucky if can get in ;) Just a little enticement to put up with my ramblings, at least skim through all the info below, and make your plans right away.  Check. www.joespub.com for more info.

      And hope to see you at Joe's Pub or Passing Strange soon.

      Don't Forget To Check Out Our 'Just Booked'
      Section at the Bottom of the Page to catch a just-added sure-to-be-sold-out-soon show from
      SINEAD O'CONNOR:  An intimate acoustic evening
      previewing her new album Theology

      Other special shows include:
      CMA Songwriter Series with Kix Brooks, Bob Dipiero, Brett James, Tim Nichols and Victoria Shaw; Alan Bergman;
      Erik Friedlander and many more!

      Joe's Pub E-Blast members were the first to get access to tickets for our exclusive shows with Neil Sedaka and special guests Fountains of Wayne and Anjani with special guest Leonard Cohen; click the underlined links to see live footage of the shows.

      Stay tuned for more exciting shows, as we book them!

      In this week's letter, you can explore new music from (among others)
      David Yazbek, Burnt Sugar, Asylum Street Spankers,

      FRANKIE NEGRON
      Presented with TeatroStageFest - Conciertos Intimos
      Monday, May 7 at 9:30 PM, $35

      FRANKIE NEGRON
      FRANKIE NEGRON

      "Frankie Negron continues to deepen his artistic pool as he travels from pop phenom to time-tested salsa star. His vocal work is consistently impressive and mature, romantic and sultry. Dynamic and rich, Negron's vocals are of a quality to rival any of his stateside contemporaries…" - Evan C. Gutierrez, All Music Guide/Billboard.com

      Grammy nominated Latin recording artist Frankie Negron will perform current hits from his new CD Mejor Que Nunca, as well as favorite boleros and other classics from the Latin canon...

      Read More...

      Listen Here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555

      MARTIRIO
      Tuesday, May 8 at 7:00PM + 9:30PM, $30
      Wednesday, May 9 at 7:00PM + 9:30PM, $30

      MARTIRIO
      MARTIRIO

      "Famous in her country by mixing elements of flamenco with elements of pop and jazz...Martirio is patient, endlessly reserved and inventive, meting out phrases in tremulous whispers. Her performance here represents a distant cousin to what the jazz singer Shirley Horn used to do....She creates a settled melancholy at the center of the music, and it's a singular pleasure, skillfully rendered." - The New York Times

      The long-awaited NY Debut of Spanish singer Martirio, the great iconoclast of Spanish song. Martirio charts a woman’s sentimental education in the bolero-as-jazz-ballad suite "Primavera en Nueva York (Springtime in New York),"...

      Read More...

      Listen Here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      ALICE RUSSELL / TABI BONNEY
      Tuesday, May 8 at 11:30 PM, $15
      TABI BONNEY
      TABI BONNEY

      Music that tugs at the emotions and raises hairs on the back of the neck. You really can’t fake what Miss. Russell’s got! Alice Russell has gained an enviable reputation as one of the hottest singers in the UK right now. Her tracks with the Quantic and Quantic Soul Orchestra projects helped elevate her profile further...

      Tabi Bonney’s solo album was a long time coming. Bonney has been rapping since he was in high school, and then, started refining his skills in college, forming a group, Organized Rhyme with close friend, Haziq Ali and opening for well-known artists - LL Cool J, Camron and OutKast...

       Read More...

       Listen Here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555

      DAVID YAZBEK
      Presented in association with Makor
      Thursday, May 10 at 7:30 PM, $25

      DAVID YAZBEK
      DAVID YAZBEK
      I"One of the most underated singer/songwriters in the business. Yazbek is an original." - New York Post

      "a payload of witty insights and cutting observations of the sort in which Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello used to specialize." - Boston Sunday Herald

      "The amazing bastard! He's my hero. I wish I'd written all his songs!" - Andy Partridge of XTC

      Don't miss this rare appearance by one of the most strangely talented musicians around. If you only know  David Yazbek from his hit Broadway shows "The Full Monty" and "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels", be prepared for a mind-blowing experience, in fact, you'd better wear a helmet...

       Read More...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      TRAVIS SULLIVAN'S CASUAL SEXTET
      Thursday, May 10 at 9:30 PM, $12
      TRAVIS SULLIVAN
      TRAVIS SULLIVAN

      Following in the wake of his critically acclaimed big band project The Bjorkestra, bandleader, multi-instrumentalist and composer Travis Sullivan continues to display his flair for innovation and exploration with his modern jazz unit The Casual Sextet...

      Read More...

      Listen Here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555

      PASSING STRANGE at The Public Theater
      Thursday, May 10 at 9:30pm
      Special $20 Tickets with Free pre-show cocktail party at Chinatown Brasserie!

      PASSING STRANGE
      PASSING STRANGE

      PASSING STRANGE
      Book and Lyrics by STEW
      Music by STEW &  HEIDI RODEWALD
      Directed & Created in collaboration with ANNIE  DORSEN
      Movement  Coordinator KAROLE ARMITAGE

      PRE-SHOW PARTY AT  CHINATOWN BRASSERIE – 7PM
      Free drinks  and hors d’oeuvres
      Chinatown Brasserie is located at  380 Lafayette Street

      “A terrific show…a musical in the guise of a concert…pulsates with the sounds of pop, rock, funk, punk, gospel, folk and New Wave…Music that feels authentic—a  rarity in this world of shiny, corporate musical  theater.”
      - Oakland Tribune

      From singer-songwriter and performance artist Stew comes Passing Strange, a daring new musical that takes you on a journey across boundaries of place, identity, and theatrical convention. STEW, a popular performer at Joe's Pub, was commissioned by The Public to develop this moving and hilarious story of a  young  black bohemian in search of self and home who charts a course for “the real” through sex, drugs, and rock and roll.  A co-production with Berkeley Repertory Theatre.

      Listen Here:

      TO ORDER YOUR $20 TIX:
      1)  CLICK HERE to order  online, use code PSLN01
      2) BY  PHONE: Call 212-967-7555 from  9am-10pm, mention code PSLN01
      3)  IN PERSON: Visit The Public  Theater Box Office at 425 Lafayette Street.Bring a printout of this email to redeem special offer.
       Box Office  Hours: Sunday-Monday 1-6pm, Tuesday-Saturday  1-7:30pm

      See Below for info on discounts for all Passing Strange Performances, including nightly $20 rush tickets

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555

      BURNT SUGAR
      Thursday, May 10 at 11:30 PM, $15
      $10 with ticket stub from The Public Theater's Passing Strange

      BURNT SUGAR
      BURNT SUGAR

       “A multiracial jam army that freestyles with cool telekinesis between the lustrous menace of Miles Davis’ On The Corner, the slash-and-om of 1970s King Crimson, and Jimi Hendrix’ moonwalk across side three of Electric Ladyland.” - David Fricke, Rolling Stone

       Burnt Sugar the Arkestra Chamber began as a grand and noble idea that begat an ostensibly foolhardy enterprise update Miles Davis Bitches Brew for the 21st century with players who were conversant in a plethora of post-modern musical tongues...

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555
      ASYLUM STREET SPANKERS
      Friday, May 11 at 7:00 PM, SOLD OUT
      ASYLUM STREET SPANKERS
      ASYLUM STREET SPANKERS

      Imagine a whimsical collision course between ragtime, two-step parlor dances, jazz, vaudeville, off-color blues, hip-hop swagger, country AND western - and you get the kaleidoscopic musical universe of the Asylum Street Spankers...

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      SOLD OUT

      CONTRAMANO - Unsatisfecho CD Release /  AMBITIOUS ORCHESTRA
      Friday, May 11 at 9:30 PM
      $12 in advance,$15 at  door

      CONTRAMANO
      CONTRAMANO

      "Argentine cellist Pablo Cubarle has spent the last several years roasting his Punk Rock en Español in a marinade of anxious chamber classicism and spazzy pop optimism. Pedal-effected cello, skuzzy 80s-esque synth flourishes and menacing guitars bring the hard rhythms to a natural quirked out conclusion of Post Piazzolla tango experimentation and nervous skronk." - New York Press

      The sound of Contramano is what happens when third world angst meets New York attitude. Ever-changing dictatorships. A marketplace out of control...

      "A herky-jerky soundscape that makes us want to skip and dance." - Time Out NY

      This Ambitious Orchestra is New York's only symphonic rock band dedicated to bringing virtuosity back to rock and roll. 18 members strong, they are making a name for themselves both in the classical world and rock scenes with their high-octane performances and innovative arrangements...

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555

      TIM FINN
      Saturday, May 12 at 7:30 PM, SOLD OUT

      TIM FINN
      TIM FINN
      One of New Zealand's most gifted and celebrated musicians and songwriters, Tim Finn's varied and remarkable career spans his days as founder of legendary 70's/80's art-pop group Split Enz, his time in Crowded House, two Finn Brothers albums, and an outstanding and eclectic solo career.

      Read More...

      Listen here:

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)