globalFEST 2007 artists announced and my FREE DJ Gig this weekend

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
       Sorry to those of you who responded to me email earlier this week and got no response.  I was actually still out of town and one of my colleagues forwarded it.

      And not trying to rub it in, but In the Attic was amazing - and not only did performers include Rachel Fuller, Pete Townshend, Martha Wainwright, Sean Lennon, and Ryan Adams, with host Jimmy Fallon, but the audience included David Bowie and Roger Daltrey.  More than slightly surreal.  Keep your eyes on Rachel's website though - they will be webcasting highlights soon. http://www.intheattic.tv/rachel/   And highlights form their September show are already up, and available for free.  And don't worry - we found Rachel's jacket.

      This is a last minute reminder - in my guise as  Acidophilus I'll be DJing tomorrow night at BAMCafe in the Red Hot & Riot afterparty - tribute to Fela for World AIDS Day.  Expect a mix of Afrobeat, afrohouse, juju, highlife, fuji, and good old fashioned funk.  Admission is free and I'll start spinning around 10 pm.  More info at http://bam.org/events/bamcafelive.aspx. Hope to see you there.

      Finally, Isabel Soffer of World Music Institute, Maure Aronson  of World Music/Crash Arts and I are very pleased to announce this year's line-up for globalFEST  2007 .  We are proud to continue the tradition of presenting a line-up that we hope will combine a number of favorites - you'll recognize some recent Joe's Pub alums in the mix  -  alongside artists we hope will be new revelations. Every year ends up having its own distinct flavor, and  I'm especially excited about this year's line-up.  See below for the press release, and visit the website, www.globalfest-ny.org for sound samples and press from previous years.

      Two big changes to note:  Due to the heavy demand in previous years, we have moved to a new, much larger venue, Webster Hall,  working in association with The Bowery Presents  just a few blocks north of the Public.   Also, we are back to a single night, and due to venue availability, we are holding it on the Sunday night, January 21, 2007 and starting a little earlier, at 7 pm.  Tickets are on sale now at www.TicketWeb.com, 1-866-468-7619.  It has sold out in advance each year since the beginning.  Don't delay.

      The Public Theater, World Music Institute and World Music/CRASHarts, in association with The Bowery Presents

      4th Annual globalFEST
      12 artists from around the world on 3 stages

       Sun. Jan 21, 2007, 7pm (doors open at 6pm)

      Webster Hall
      125 E. 11th St., NYC  btwn 3rd & 4th Aves.

      "Another fine job of spreading a globe’s worth of artists over three stages." (Time Out New York)

      Andy Palacio & The Garifuna Collective  (Central American All- stars)
      Babylon Circus  (French Reggae/ska punkers)
      Boom Pam  (Israeli Balkan-Surf-Rock)
      Chambao   (Spanish Flamenco Chill)
      Carolina Chocolate Drops  (Piedmont String Band)
      Dengue Fever (Cambodian-American Psych-rock)
      Julia Sarr & Patrice Larose   (Soulful Senegelese Song Meets French-Flamenco)
      Le Trio Joubron  (Palestinian Oud Improvisations)
      Les Primitifs du Future  (Parisian Musette & Gypsy Jazz)
      Lenine   (Brazil’s Groundbreaking Innovator)
      Lucia Pulido & Palenque  (Street Songs of Colombia)
      Sara Tavares   (Cape Verde’s Rising Star)

      All-night 3-stage passes  –  $40

      Tickets can be purchased:
      – online: www.ticketweb.com
      –  by phone: 1-866-468-7619
      – in person: cash only at the box office at Mercury Lounge: 217 E. Houston St. (btwn Ludlow & Essex), NYC

      globalFEST is part of the annual Arts Presenters (APAP) conference and is sponsored by The Cultural Services of the French Embassy to the U.S. with additional support from the French Music Export Office and Cultures France.  Presented in association with The Bowery Presents . Travel support for Boom Pam courtesy of the Consulate of Israel in NY.  Visa services courtesy of www.tamizdat.org.

      globalFEST 2007, Webster Hall (NYC)
      Surf Rock, Palestinian Ouds, Brazilian and Afro-Portuguese Songs, African-American String Band Music, and More:

      Fourth Annual globalFEST Moves to Bigger Venue & Announces 2007 Line-Up

      Roots revival, surf rock, classical ouds, Brazilian and Afro-Portuguese songs. Expect these and many more styles on three diverse stages of the fourth annual globalFEST 2007 (www.globalfest-ny.com), which takes place Sunday, January 21, 2007 , starting at 7 pm . This year the event moves to Webster Hall ( 125 East 11th Street , NYC) to better accommodate crowds that packed previous venues. The event, which has sold out three years in a row, has become one of America’s leading showcases of global sounds, demonstrating the multiplicity of sounds and performance contexts that fall under the ‘world music’ label. Tickets are available from TicketWeb.com, 1-866-468-7619.

      “globalFEST proved it's possible to respect the past without being forced to preserve it forever unchanged,” reported the Village Voice in globalFEST’s debut year. “In terms of programming, fans can expect the same mix of established names and new revelations as in past years, that all address the unanswerable question of ‘what is world music?’ in their own way,” says Bill Bragin of The Public Theater, who along with Maure Aronson of Boston’s World Music, Inc., and Isabel Soffer of World Music Institute, founded the festival. “We launched the event in the wake of 9/11 when international artists were struggling to tour because of the increasingly restrictive American visa process, yet American audiences were expressing more interest in global culture,” says Soffer. Bowery Presents joins as a producer in this fourth year as the event expands to a larger venue.

      Year after year, the globalFEST producers spotlight underexposed hybrids, roots revivalists, and virtuosic performers from all corners and this year will continue that tradition. Compelling patterns emerge from the festival roster each year.

      Two themes recurring from years past are remarkable vocalists and “stars back home.” Lenine, though deeply rooted in regional Brazilian forms, weaves together both threads while embodying the Brazilian tendency to reconstitute and fuse popular forms from rock to bossa nova, from hip hop to MPB. Sara Tavares unites her Cape Verdean and Portuguese roots into a more modern songwriter aesthetic accessible to newcomers of world music and with touches of folk and R&B.

      This year fans might ponder the Lebanese roots of surf guitarist Dick Dale, whose music influenced two festival performers: Boom Pam, an Israeli guitar, tuba, and drums outfit which reclaims surf rock’s Mediterranean roots, and Los Angeles ’s Dengue Fever, which is as equally influenced by a Cambodian garage rock and psychedelia craze of the 1960s.Spain ’s Chambao fast-forwards the festival to an emerging hybrid of downtempo club-culture-meets-flamenco.

      The French connection continues as in previous years spotlighting France as a gateway of musical immigrants. Senegalese songstress Julia Sarr and French guitarist Patrice Larose team up to offer an internationalist and modern approach to the singer-songwriter and guitar conventions. Paris-based Le Trio Joubran, three young oud-toting Palestinian brothers, reminds us that world music encompasses classical styles, and classical music can include thrilling improvisation. Babylon Circus plays a Gallic/Mediterranean ska that inherits much from the global punk and new wave movements of the ’80s. Early twentieth century music gets a boost from Les Primitifs du Futur, which blends world-musette and Django-style guitar into old-fashion originals (and whose founders include legendary cartoonist R. Crumb).

      Roots music is also represented by the African-American string band Carolina Chocolate Drops, which plays an American traditional style that historically created a bridge across between African and European Americans. Meanwhile, Central American cultural ambassadors Andy Palacio and the Garifuna Collective reignite the traditions of a culture that emerged from escaped slaves and whose modern-day descendants are dispersed from Belize toNicaragua . Vocalist Lucia Pulido and Palenque take on the repertoire of the chirimía, a type of Colombian street band, in their search for a distinct, experimental style that is simultaneously deeply rooted and contemporary.

      Not only has the event broadened and deepened participants’ appreciation for the enormous breadth of global music, it has opened new opportunities for international musicians in the performing arts field. Scheduled to coincide with the annual Arts Presenters conference (www.artspresenters.org), globalFEST has introduced upcoming stars to hundreds of concert presenters and the general public.

      “For those of us located between the coasts, globalFEST offers presenters an opportunity to see a good number of artists in a suitable venue,” explains Cynthia Quinn Patterson of the University of Texas ( Austin ), Performing Arts Center . “We're able to observe audiences as well as the artists, which can be very useful for a presenter trying to understand a new form or culture.” Luis Barros, North American manager for Lura (Cape Verde/Portugal), who used last year’s festival to secure a major booking agency, says “globalFEST is the artist's ultimate entrée to be exposed to the leading talent agents, influential critics, and talent buyers in North America .”

      For the fourth year in a row, globalFEST is sponsored by The Cultural Services of the French Embassy, with additional support from the French Music Export Office and Cultures France, recognizingFrance ’s pre-eminent role as a hotbed for world music activity. In addition to providing financial support for the festival, artists who have French productions, regardless of their national origin, are eligible for subsidies to support their travel to participate in globalFEST. Emmanuel Morlet, the director of the music department of the French Embassy, says, “We continue to see how globalFEST serves the vital dual function of helping artists develop international careers and introducing audiences to culturally diverse performers.”

      Boom Pam's performance is presented with support from the Office of Cultural Affairs, Consulate General of Israel in New York . Visa services for globalFEST have been provided by Tamizdat, a nonprofit committed to fostering the free exchange of information and ideas between artists, audiences, and industry, and across cultures.

      “globalFest is a vital point of connection between artists and the cultural arts community,” explains Scott Southard, president of booking agency International Music Network. “It’s one of the few chances to break past the media monopoly's blockade of information exchange.”

      <end>

      online press kit with audio samples, hi-res JPGs, articles, and more:

      www.rockpaperscissors.biz/go/globalFEST

      media contacts:

      tristra newyear/jenifer shepherd
      rock paper scissors, inc./dmitri vietze
      216 W. Allen St., Suite 137
      Bloomington, IN 47403
      TEL +1-812-339-1195
      FAX +1-801-729-4911
      beat@...
      www.rockpaperscissors.biz

      {{music of global significance}}

      p u b l i c i t y   f o r   t h e   w o r l d