JOE'S PUB: Forro in the Dark with Bebel Gilberto, David Byrne and Miho Hatori; Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde, Allen Toussaint, Capathia Jenkins and more!!!
- Sending this late, again, so going to let you read below to know about all the amazing shows happening this week.Sometime Sold Out means "Sold Out", and sometimes it really means, "no, it's really sold out and there's absolutely nothing I can do, so you should go see Forro in the Dark in their weekly Wednesday Night residency at Nublu, which will still be happening tomorrow night, although you can bet it will be even more packed than usual, given the amazing reception the excellent, and star-studded new album is getting, but if you are interested in Brazilian Music, you might want to check out Gaia on Thursday night, the Brazilian electro-samba-funk band from Montreal who are the house band for Cirque du Soleil's show Delirium which is playing at Madison Square Garden this week; pan-South American world music chamber ensemble America Contemporaneo led by Benjamim Taubkin (the incredible pianist who has played here with and without Monica Salmaso), plus Siba the amazing fiddler from Recife's Mestre Ambrosio, along with the wonderful Colombian singer Lucia Pulido, Venezuelan master musician Aquiles Baez, and more, this Sunday; the all women MPB choir Brazilian Voices on Nov 17, the carnival percussion of Samba NY! also on November 17, Scott kettner's Nation Beat and Bryan Vargas & Ya Esta, with a special guest just added, Gabriel Moura, who co-founded the Farofa Carioca, the band that launched Seu Jorge, on November 22; and Vincius Cantuaria with Marc Ribot on December 8 - see all the way below for special information on those.)" Who knew two words can say so much?You can keep reading to know about all the other essential shows below - I'm not going to list all of them, since we have our new easier to read format - but I will say that this is just about the most perfect and varied week of Joe's Pub programming I can think of.....and Forro in the Dark may not be the band this week to have some very special guests showing up. No promises, because even without any guests, Allen Toussaint's New Orleans brunches are essential listening, but there are rumors about guests showing up this week, maybe to sit in. Certainly the pilgrimage of artists who have come to see Allen from the audience side over the past few months, which have included Elvis Costello, Bonnie Raitt, Jon Cleary, Boz Skaggs, Nona Hendrix and Judy Collins, should give you an idea that seeing this American master at work is not optional.Another reminder to West Coasters to go see Stew's amazing music theater piece Passing Strange at Berkeley Rep through December 3 - you can see some the incredible reviews on their website, including this latest from the Contra Costa Times. For Stew info, visit www.stewsongs.org, and keep your eyes out for the production at the Public in the new year....It took nearly 40 years, but we finally have the first coming-of-age-in-the-60s play that truly gets it right, with all the sex, drugs, radical politics and angst intact Passing Strange expands the possibility of what musical theater can be Stew leads a five-piece band, circling the stage through a score that defies you to remain motionless in your seat a sparkling, engaging and highly entertaining show.Contra Costa TimesAlso see below for a list of great new shows just going on sale. Things are selling out like crazy, so take advantage of this early notice and get your tix now. and make note that the next edition of globalFEST is now on sale with discounts for those who trust us and buy befoe the line-up is announced. Notice that we have moved to a new, larger venue, Webster Hall, so we can return to a single night of global musical magic.And one more thing. If you haven't already. Go home now, and Vote. Vote. Vote. Time to make a change in the direction of this country.----------------------------------------------------------------------------THIS WEEK AT JOE'S...
PAULETTE MCWILLIAMS AND LAINIE COOKE:
WHITE, BLACK AND BLUES
Tuesday, November 7 at 7:30 pm, $15
Paulette McWilliams returns to Joe's Pub with her rich, warm, sultry, soulful, vocals and truly remarkable stage presence, joined by the incomparable vocalist Lainie Cooke. These two women from different backgrounds come together to sing, give a little music history about how the blues got started and have an amazing time sharing their rendition of the Blues... Past and Present.
WHITE AND BLACK BLUES
Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555 THE DUHKS
Part of the Upper North Side Canadian Music Series
Tuesday, November 7 at 9:30 pm, $15
Continuing our partnership with the Upper North Side Canadian Music Series, sponsored by the Canadian Consulate, Joe's Pub brings you The Duhks, a band of five high-energy, tattooed twenty-somethings from Winnipeg, Manitoba, who blend soul, gospel, North American folk, Brazilian samba, old time country string band, zydeco, and Irish dance music, and been riveting audiences and winning staunch fans across North America and around the world since the release of their self-titled, Bela Fleck-produced album in 2005.
Read about The Duhks in The New York Times
- The Duhks - Mountains O' Things
Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555 FORRO IN THE DARK
Bonfires of Sao Jao CD Release with guests
DAVID BYRNE, BEBEL GILBERTO and MIHO HATORI
Wednesday, November 8 at 7:00 pm, $15
Brazilian Forro consists of the zambumba, the triangle and the accordion. Forro in the Dark expands on this traditional sound by adding electronics, guitar, pifano, sax and vocals, creating a sound that appeals to both jazz aficionados and techno lovers. This performance celebrates the release of Bonfires of Sao Jao and features some very special guests you won't want to miss!
FORRO IN THE DARK
- Forro in the Dark - Indios Do Norte
SOLD OUT ETHAN LIPTON
Wednesday, November 8 at 9:30 pm, $12
Post-modern crooner Ethan Lipton, accompanied by his mutable orchestra, brings quirky and swingingly sidesplitting songs of love, loss and alienation.
- Ethan Lipton -
You Were Right and
Tickets Available Now - 212-967-7555 Royal Flush: Three Queens Taking Over the Game
WITH NEMISS, ETERNIA, FALLON
and DJ TELEKINETIK KAT of TURNTABLE LAB
Wednesday, November 8 at 11:30 pm, $10
Hip hop lyricist Nemiss teams up with Canada's greatest export, Eternia, and soul siren Fallon, to show you how the new generation of female hip hop artists bring the heat.
- Nemiss -
Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555 JOHNETTE NAPOLITANO of Concrete Blonde
Thursday, November 9 at 7:30 pm,
$15 in advance, $18 at the door
Though she's best known as the voice and bassist of Concrete Blonde, Johnette Napolitano is also a songwriter, painter, flamenco dancer, and more. Currently performing emotionally charged acoustic shows, this show will feature Concrete Blonde faves, original songs and even a few covers.
Napolitano - La
Tickets Available Now - 212-967-7555 CALIFONE with guest BRENT GREEN
Thursday, November 9 at 9:30 pm, $15
With inspiration from folk, pop, electronic, and blues, Red Red Meat frontman and Ugly Cassanova contributor Tim Rutili's project Califone has performed at All Tomorrow's Parties and toured with the likes of Wilco and Modest Mouse.
- Califone -
Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555 GAIA from Cirque du Soleil's Delirium
Thursday, November 9 at 11:30 pm, $12
Nominated for the 2006 JUNO awards "Best World Music Album of the Year," Gaia is a mix of Brazilian and Peruvian-influenced funk, electronics, jazz, rock, and vocals. Featuring the infamous Queen of Samba, Elza Soares, percussionist Kuulak Viger Rojas, singer-songwriter Elie Haroun, drummer Sacha Daoud, and bassist-songwriter Andre Faleiros, Gaia currently performs as house band for Cirque du Soleil's Delirium.
- Gaia - Maracuja
Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555 AMY RIGBY
Diary of a Mod Housewife
with SUE GARNER and ANGEL DEAN
Friday, November 10 at 7:00 pm, $20
Distinctive, sharp-witted songwriter Amy Rigby revisits her first post-Shams work, the cult classic Diary of a Mod Housewife, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of its release with special guests indie singer-songwriters Angel Dean and Sue Garner.
Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555 PISTOLERA / SLAVIC SOUL PARTY
Siempre Hay Salida CD Release
Friday, November 10 at 9:30 pm, $15
Celebrating the release of their new album, Siempre Hay Salida, Brooklyn based Latin funk-folk-pop group Pistolera are taking New York by storm, attracting both English and Spanish speaking audiences alike with their powerful sounds.
Pair Balkan brass and American grooves and you get Slavic Soul Party!, nine musicians who meld multi-cultural backgrounds with American jazz and soul.
Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555 MARCIN MASECKI
Presented with The Polish Cultural Institute
Saturday, November 11 at 7:30 pm, $15
As part of the 8th International Chopin & Friends Festival, the Polish Cultural Institute and New York Dance and Arts Innovations presents the virtuosic and inventive jazz pianist Marcin Masecki.
- Marcin Masecki -
Episodes of a Tyrolean Boy's
Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555 MARTHA REDBONE
Saturday, November 11 at 9:30 pm, $15
With stunning vocals, superbly crafted songs and an amazing group of NY's finest funkateers, Martha Redbone's old school style soul has her set for stardom.
- Martha Redbone - Talk About
Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555 BURNT SUGAR
Saturday, November 11 at 11:30 pm,
$10: Buy Two, Get One Free!
Formed by master jazz musicians in 1999, Burnt Sugar was conceived as a contemporary version of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew band, exploring the connective tissue binding jazz, rock, funk, twentieth century composition, and African music in a lyrical, seductive, exploratory, improvisational manner.
Special ticket offer for tonight's show: Buy three tickets for the price of one!
- Burnt Sugar - Moonchile (Extended Excerpt)
Tickets Available Now - Call 212-967-7555 ALLEN TOUSSAINT
New Orleans Benefit Brunch
Sunday, November 12 at 12:00 noon
$30 adults, $15 for children under 12
Allen Toussaint, one of America's greatest musical treasures, continues to astound audiences at Joe's Pub with his New Orleans brunch series. Singer, pianist, songwriter, arranger and producer - this New Orleans native and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee has been making hit records for over forty years.
- Allen Toussaint - Do the Do
(Message over 64 KB, truncated)