JOE'S PUB presents John Lithgow, The Losers Lounge, David Gilmore, Jon Spencer's Heavy Trash, Uri Caine and much much more!!!
- View SourceHi All,Still zooming off of Curumin's incredible set last night - see him at nublu tonight! - and getting set for an amazing week of concerts here, plus some top secret things you'll be hearing about down the line (sorry to be a tease, but I must.) I'll let you read below about all the happenings, but just a reminder - the NY Gypsy Festival continues here with two late night sets by dazzling instrumentalists including Husnu Senlendirici from Turkey, Yuri Yanakov Bulgaria and more - essential, essential stuff. And speaking of Gypsy traditions, Tuesday night's show as art of the European Dream festival, with the visionary pianist Uri Caine exploring the folk influences on Bela Bartok, with a jazz/classical/folk-hopping band that features Hungarian cimbalom (hammer dulcimer) master Miklos Lukacs and the brilliant clarinetist David Krakauer (Klezmer Madness) is sure to be stunning.Also, don't miss the inspiring documentary When Fried Eggs Fly, in a benefit for music education at PS3, which is featured in this a hit of the Tribeca Film Festival, focusing on the work of Black Rock Coalition stalwart Bruce Mack. Truly inspiring story of music education and community building at an elementary school, here in NYC, followed by a performance by Bruce's band Tricky Dilemma, with Marvin Sewell (Cassandra Wilson, Imani Uzuri) and Val-Inc (Bruce's bandmate in Burnt Sugar). And speaking of Cassandra, another musical collaborator of hers, and another longtime BRC head, guitarist David Gilmore (no, not the Pink Floyd guy - he spells his name differently)will celebrate the release of his new Cd with an amazing quartet featuring Ravi Coltrane on sax, Jeff "Tain" Watts, and a very special bassist we can't announce.Don't forget our next family matinee with star of film, television and Broadway John Lithgow on Sunday - only a handful of tix left. And The Loser's Lounge pay tribute to Talking Heads with 4 can't miss shows on Friday and Saturday - please note that Thursday's show has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.Sunday night - 2 special shows pairing Heavy Trash, the garage rockabilly project of Jon Spencer (of Blues Explosion) and Matt Verta-Ray with Canadian garage alt-country punks The Sadies. And speaking of Canada, our Upper North Side Canadian Music Series with the Canadian Consulate General continues on Wednesday with two shows by singer-songwriter Steve Poltz, best known for discovering Jewel and penning most of her biggest songs.Monday, the Emmanuel Jal show, featuring the acclaimed rapper from the Sudan, is certain to be especially inspiring. It's very close to sold out - don't wait on that.Remember, keep reading, cause just cause I didn't write about Jess Klein, the Kennedy's, the Onion Comedy series, a Grand Bal Senegalese with Sing Sing Rhythms, newgrass upstarts The Greencards with Liz Tormes and more, doesn't mean you shouldn't read about them, check the MP3s, and buy tix through our new phone number (and hopefully later this week, websales will have restarted.)And definitely make sure you take a note of new shows just added the the schedule, including the return of monthly benefit brunches for New Orleans starring Allen Toussaint, a special monthly residency with ETHEL called the ETHELab - with guests John King, gutbucket and Jill Sobule, new family matinees, New years with Sandra Bernhard and so many more - just read the right hand column for early notice about that.And don't forget to support the benefit for Friends in Adoption - check ww.friendsinadoption.org for more info on that.See you soon!
425 LAFAYETTE ST. NYC October 3 - October 11NEW YEAR'S EVE SHOWS ANNOUNCED! SPECIAL DISCOUNTS FOR EARLY ORDERING, SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS!
Joe's Pub will no longer be working with Telecharge and has changed our ticketing systems. Please note a few changes in our policy as follows: Tickets can be purchased by phone between the hours of 10am and 9pm by calling 212-967-7555. There is a ticket service fee of $2 for tickets $15 and under and $3 per ticket for tickets higher than $15, a reduction in fees from our previous service.You may buy tickets in person at The Public Theater box office at 425 Lafayette Street from 1:00 pm to 6:00pm on Sundays and Mondays and 1:00pm to 7:30pm from Tuesday through Saturday. Tickets are also available for purchase in person at Joe's Pub from 6:00pm to 10:00pm, seven days a week. There is no service fee charged at the box office or at the door at Joe's Pub. Please note that many shows at Joe's Pub do sell out in advance, so door sales are subject to availability.Please note that purchase of a ticket does NOT guarantee seating. Seating, as well as standing-room, is available only on a first-come, first-served basis for all shows without a dinner reservation. To secure a dinner reservation, call 212-539-8778.
Joe's Pub is on MySpace and we're looking for some new friends. Stop by and check it out!JUST BOOKED
Call 212-539-8778 for more information on any of these shows
10/14 - Music Lounge with TIOMBE LOCKHART and SHU
10/15 - ALLEN TOUSSAINT - Benefit Brunch for New Orleans
10/19 - NATALIE WALKER
10/20 - MISS COCO PERU (11:30 show added)
10/22 - ETHEL Lab with special guest JOHN KING
11/4 - GUSTAFER YELLOWGOLD with special guest ROBBERT BOBBERT and THE BUBBLE MACHINE (featuring Robert Schneider from Apples in Stereo) - Family Matinee
11/12 - ALLEN TOUSSAINT - Benefit Brunch for New Orleans
11/12 - AMERICA CONTEMPORANEO with Benjamim Taubkin, Lucia Pullido, Siba (of Mestre Ambrosio) and more
11/17 - BETHANY YARROW and RUFUS CAPPADOCIA
11/19 - GABRIEL KAHANE
11/19 - ETHEL Lab with special guest GUTBUCKET
12/2 - JO ERDOS and THE MIDNIGHT SHOW
12/3 - ALLEN TOUSSAINT - Benefit Brunch for New Orleans
12/3 - SXIP SHIREY - Sombule CD Release with BABY DEE and AIMEE CURL
12/8 - VINICIUS CANTARIA and MARC RIBOT
12/10 - TONY TRISCHKA's Glory Shone Around with TIM ERIKSEN
12/11 - Nativity: A Life Story with LILLIAS WHITE, the cast of DRUMSTRUCK, KEITH DAVID and more
12/17 - ETHEL Lab with special guest JILL SOBULE
12/22 - LAS RUBIAS DEL NORTE
1/9/7 - LESLEY GORE
OCTOBER AT JOE'S PUB
(Click here for the full month of events)
10/11 - STEVE POLTZ (7:00 + 9:30)
Presented with The Upper North Side Canadian Music series
10/14 - THE BONGOS - Drums Along the Hudson (7:30 + 9:30)
10/15- ALLEN TOUSSAINT - Benefit for New Orleans Brunch
10/22, 10/23 + 10/24 - The Fire Dept. presents SPEAKEASY
10/28 - JONAH SMITH (9:30 + 11:30)
10/29 + 10/30 - MARY TESTA - A Work In Progress
NOVEMBER AT JOE'S PUB
(Click Here for the full month of events)
11/3 - STEVE FORBERT (7:30 + 9:30)
10/29, 11/5 + 11/12 - CAPATHIA JENKINS and LOUIS ROSEN - South Side Stories
11/12 - ALLEN TOUSSAINT - Benefit for New Orleans Brunch
11/15 - ASYLUM STREET SPANKERS
11/24 + 11/25 - CHRISTINE LAVIN - One Meatball CD Release
LAST CHANCE! CALL NOW!
LIMITED TICKETS ONLY FOR THE FOLLOWING SHOWS:
10/4 - WHEN FRIED EGGS FLY - A Benefit for PS3 featuring a film screening and concert by TRICKY DILEMMA
10/8 - JOHN LITHGOW Sunny Side of the Street - Family Matinee
10/9 - EMMANUEL JAL
Presented with worldmusic.nationalgeographic.com
10/15 - GLASS HALF FULL - A Breast Awareness Project featuring CHRISTINE LAVIN, MAGGIE ROCHE, CHRIS and CASSIE WEBSTER and more
10/16 - THE GUGGENHEIM GROTTO with Luke Doucet
Presented with WFUV.org
10/17 - CATIE CURTIS with guest MARK ERELLI
10/24 - GUY CLARK with KATE CAMPBELL
11/3 - STEVE FORBERT
11/14 - WILLY PORTER
10/4 - LESLIE KRITZER is Patti LuPone at Les Mouches (tix still available for December 8 + 9)
10/20 - MISS COCO PERU (9:30, tix still available for 11:30)
VERY IMPORTANT NEWS REGARDING TICKET PURCHASES
Joe's Pub has changed our ticketing system.
Please note a few changes in our policy as follows:
- Tickets can be purchased by phone between the hours of 10am and 9pm by calling 212-967-7555. There is a ticket service fee of $2 for tickets $15 and under and $3 per ticket for tickets higher than $15, a considerable reduction in fees from our previous service.
- You may buy tickets in person at The Public Theater box office at 425 Lafayette Street from 1:00 pm to 6:00pm on Sundays and Mondays and 1:00pm to 7:30pm from Tuesday through Saturday. Tickets are also available for purchase in person at Joe's Pub from 6:00pm to 10:00pm, seven days a week. There is no service fee charged at the box office or at the door at Joe's Pub. Please note that many shows at Joe's Pub do sell out in advance, so door sales are subject to availability.
- Our online ticketing service will be live shortly. At that time, tickets may be purchased online at www.joespub.com
- Please note that purchase of a ticket does NOT guarantee seating. Seating, as well as standing-room, is available only on a first-come, first-served basis for all shows without a dinner reservation. To secure a dinner reservation, call 212-539-8778.
10/3 - AMY MILLAN of Stars
Lead Singer of Stars Performs Folksy Americana Tunes Solo
Stars vocalist Amy Millan has now released her first solo album, Honey From the Tombs, with 12 songs that were written between 1993 and 2000, predating her work with Stars and fellow Canadian indie rock favorite Broken Social Scene. Until last year, those songs stayed in the vault, apart from the occasional solo live performance (sometimes as Lady Lustre). Her solo work is a departure from what fans have come to expect from the textured sounds of those bands and instead explores folk and rural traditions in more of an Americana vein. Backed by the Whiteleys and a few familiar faces from her other bands, Millan's old and new C&W-flavoured ditties now see the light of day for all to enjoy.
TUES, OCT 3
7:00 + 9:30
VISIT AMY MILLAN ON THE WEB
TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW - CALL 212-967-7555