JOE'S PUB gets risque with Asylum Street Spankers, Ron Sexsmith and Lascivious Biddies PLUS Divas Danielia Cotton, Yasmin Levy, Sara Kramer, Laurnea, Maria De Barros, Bettye LaVette and much more!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005
      Hi all,

      The tragic news from New Orleans and the gulf coast gets worse and worse, and I know so many of us, especially those who lived through the devastation of 9-11 share their grief, but this is a disaster on a whole different scale.  Personally, the music of New Orleans has been so central to my own life - this has been very emotionally affecting.  My father is a trumpeter, and the music of Louis Armstrong was my first introduction to jazz.  One of my early experiences as an intern at Penn's Landing in Philadelphia involved volunteering at the Jambalaya Jam festival.  Then I went to work for Festival Productions, producers of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, where I would go to JazzFest each year to work at the festival going from stage to stage paying artists and soaking up a history of music education in the process.  Later, I managed the start-up of the NYNO record label, founded by legendary NOLA songwriter, producer and musician Allen Toussaint and Josh Feigenbaum, devoted to presenting the indigenous music of New Orleans.  (Note: contrary to reports by Fox News, Mr. Toussaint is fine, and has gotten out of NOLA).  Through all of these experiences, I learned both how rich that city is culturally, and how much music, from jazz to rhythm & blues to gospel and on and on that New Orleans has given to the world.  At the same time, I became much more attuned to the poverty and ethnic and class divisions that made it such a fragile place. Like many of you, I have been searching for an organization to support personally, and just received info from Cynthia Simien, wife and manager of zydeco artist Terence Simien.

      "I am the VP of the Memphis Chapter of the Recording Academy and are working closely with MusiCares to get even more assistance for our NOLA musicians. They have earmarked 1 million for hurricane relief and have already lifted the $5000 per annual/$10,000 lifetime cap per musician/creative professional. Please let any New Orleans musicians /creative music industry professionals know that MusiCares in Nashville is taking applications over the phone for immediate subsistence with instrument replacements, basic living expenses, (they pay power, phone, rent payments directly), medical assistance, substance/mental health assistance.  visit www.MusiCares.com or www.Grammy.com for info.  MusiCares South Region 877-626-2748. They assist everyone from the street musician to someone like Ivan Neville who has been very vocal about he assistance they have given him.  They are very compassionate and giving people."

      Here's more info, from the MusiCares website:
      Established in 1989 by The Recording Academy, MusiCares has been helping people across the country cope with personal, medical and financial hardships. MusiCares provides totally confidential crisis intervention, health care referrals and financial assistance. MusiCares' confidential and caring approach allows those in need to seek help with dignity and confidence.

      Make A Contribution Online To Support MusiCares
      Throughout the year, MusiCares makes a difference in our music community by providing a safety net of critical financial assistance and services for music people in times of need. You can take part in this mission by making a contribution of any size to help MusiCares continue to make a difference. Showing your support is just a click away. http://www.grammy.com/Donations.aspx?comp=MusiCares

      Since so many of the cultural riches of New Orleans that have made the city so beloved in the rest of the world are based on the contributions of musicians who often have very little safety net, this seems like an appropriate way to help make some small difference, even as we call on the Federal government, and disaster relief agencies like Red Cross to begin the massive project of rebuilding. (Note, a good list of other resources, which came in an email from NEXT magazine, can be found at the end of this email.

      Other quick news:

      Lots of GlobeSonic Sound System dates coming up, including a return to Riverside Park with the Body Temple drummers, for an outdoor sunset party, next Friday night, September 9, as we say goodbye to summer, followed on Saturday night, with a late night party at SOB's, with visuals by Projectile Arts.  Later in the month, we spin with Balkan Beat Box and Oi va Voi at Irving Plaza as part of the NY Jewish Music & Heritage Festival, and teh same night at Spirit with Michael Franti (of Spearhead) and friends, including good friends Vishal Vaid, Haale, Hassan Hakmoun, Carol C of Si*Se, and dj sets by Dj Haj, Dub Gabriel and Karsh Kale, and then back to Nublu for our 2nd anniversary there on Sept 24.  See the complete press release at the end of this email.

      And Joe's Pub - just read below for the complete line-up of events coming up, and Do Not Miss Bettye Lavette next week.  You have been warned.  We are in the process of figuring out what we will be doing in the way of Hurricane/Flood relief, so keep your eyes peeled for that.  And check out lots of amazing shows added fro the fall, including a rare appearance by soul legend Maxine Brown, CD release shows by Jimmie Dale Gilmore, the Del McCoury Band, and Tarantula AD; the addition of the godfather of Ethiopian jazz, Mulatu Astatqe (whose music is featured in Jim Jarmusch's recent film Broken Flowers) to the Cd release show with Either/Orchestra, new shows added with Dallam-Daggou, Erin McKeown, Melissa Ferrick, Elysian Fields, and the return of Jackie Hoffman in a special series Chanukah shows.  The Loser's Lounge will also make a move to their new home at Joe's Pub with a special tribute the one and only Stevie Wonder. We also added lots of shows even into next year, so keep reading.  And don't forget - you get advance notice - so don't sleep on things.  Nouvelle Vague's shows in September are COMPLETELY sold out (no, I can't help you) , and Konono No. 1's US debut in November is getting very close to being so as well, so don't procrastinate.

      Finally, lots of people have asked, and no, wedding photos aren't ready yet, but if you want to see too many photos from our honeymoon, check them out here:

      All the best,

      bill

      LAURNEA'
      with ANTHONY DAVID
      Saturday - September 3rd - 9:00pm

      Atlanta-based vocalist and songwriter Laurnea' (pronounced "lore-NAY") has been an underground phenomenon ever since 1997 when her debut album "Betta Listen" made her part of a wave of such alternative soul artists such as Erykah Badu, Maxwell, Lauryn Hill, Adriana Evans and others. That release, which followed Laurnea's stints as vocalist with hip-hop collective Arrested Development, pop/soul hit-makers Loose Ends, and Bobby McFerrin's Voicestra, spawned two hits: the Prince-like "Infatuation" and the wistful  ballad "Can't Let Go".  Three subsequent albums on her own label nurtured an underground following even as she appeared in such films as Spike Lee's "School Daze" and played Ella Fitzgerald in "Hoodlum" and her music was featured in the film "Soulfood".  Along with Rachelle Ferrell, Oleta Adams, India.Arie and Jennifer Holiday, Laurnea' was a highlight of the Woman Of Soul Concert held in Atlanta. Her mesmerizing vocals range from breathy intimacy to full-throated soul. Laurnea's unique mix of of soul, jazz, hip-hop, electronica and singer-songwriter r & b is showcased on "The Collection", a "best-of" her recording career to date, slated for September 20th on Shanachie. "Laurnea' has the voice and heart of an angel" says India.Arie --Atlanta Songwriter/singer/ guitarist Anthony David is recapturing the sound of Soul music that harkens back to the genre's banner era of the 60's and into the dawn of the 70's.  On his beautiful debut album, Three Chords and the Truth, David layers his husky vocals atop melodic guitar strokes, which serve as the backdrop for his arresting lyrics that showcase his unique musicianship. His organic and eclectic approach to music can be credited to his passion for merging a great story with a great melody.   From rock, rap and reggae, to rhythm and blues and soul, Three Chords and The Truth is as diverse as David's rich and eclectic brew of musical influences.  Those influences range from legends such as Bill Withers, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder to contemporary artists like Prince, Jay-Z and Black Thought.  His combined talents deliver a sophisticated, laid-back and sometimes moody masterpiece with songs that are constructed around the melodic beats of vintage soul and the rhythmic ingenuity of hip-hop.

      BUY TICKETS FOR THIS SHOW

      THE MUSIC OF
      FRANK WILDHORN

      September 5 + 12 at 7:00pm
      September 19 at 7:00 + 9:30pm

      An intimate evening with the composer and some of today's great theatrical voices, featuring songs from Victor/Victoria, Jekyll & Hyde, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Civil War, Dracula, and Frank's upcoming shows, Cyrano, Vienna, Waiting For The Moon, and Havana. Frank may even break out some songs from his Linda Eder catalog, his #1 hit "Where Do Broken Hearts Go?" by Whitney Houston, and some other surprises.  Joining Wildhorn are Broadway stars Rob Evan, who played the title role in Jekyll & Hyde on Broadway; Kate Shindle, a former Miss America who also starred in that show; Michael Lanning, who appeared on Broadway in Wildhorn's The Civil War; and Tracy Miller, who currently plays Penny Pingleton in Hairspray.
      Wildhorn's works span the worlds of popular, theatrical and classical music. In 1999, Frank became the first American composer in twenty-two years to have three shows running simultaneously on Broadway: Jekyll & Hyde (written with Leslie Bricusse), which received two Tony nominations; The Scarlet Pimpernel (written with Nan Knighton), which received four Tony nominations; and The Civil War (written with Jack Murphy & Gregory Boyd), which received two Tony nominations. These shows continue to be seen in productions around the country and throughout the world.

      Joe's Pub at The Public Theater
      Visit our website at: http://web.JoesPub.com

      425 Lafayette Street bet. East 4th St. & Astor Place.
      Take N train to Broadway & 8th St. or 6 train to Astor Place.

      For information & reservations: 212-539-8778
      For Telecharge listed events: 212-239-6200 or http://www.telecharge.com

      For the descriptions of upcoming shows and late night events, see below.

      Newly-added shows are noted in black.

      Amy Kohn / Lee Feldman / Fri, September 2

      Maria de Barros / Fri, September 2

      Del Castillo:  Part of the Celebrate Mexico Now!  Festival / Sat, September 3

      Laurnea' with Anthony David / Sat, September 3

      Asylum Street Spankers / Sun, September 4

      La Barranca:  Part of the Celebrate Mexico Now!  Festival/ Sun, September 4

      The Music of Frank Wildhorn / Mondays, September 5, 12 & 19

      Sara Kramer  (of MAMMA MIA) / Mon September 5

      Monument, with Singer/Songwriter Adam Crigler / Mon, September 5

      Danielia CottonSmall White Town CD Release / Tues, September 6

      Greg Garing and His All Star Orchestra / Tues, September 6

      Ron Sexsmith with Ana Egge / Wed, September 7

      The Lascivious Biddies / Wed, September 7

      Nossa Presents Favela Clash:  Brazilian Funk vs. Jamaican Dancehall with DJ Sujinho, DJ Cassiano and DJ G Brown / Wed, September 7

      Bettye LaVette / Thurs, September 8

      Sanda Weigl: Gypsy in a Tree w/ Anthony Coleman, Doug Wieselman, Greg Cohen, and Satoshi Takeishi / Thurs, September 8

      Hudson Punch Presents:  33hz and Fiasco with DJ Cat / Thurs, September 8

      David Poe / Fri, September 9

      Julian Velard / Fri, September 9

      Ethan Lipton:  Baby I Feel The Same Way CD Release / Sat, September 10

      Nouvelle Vague / Sat, September 10  (SOLD OUT) & Tues, September 13 SOLD OUT

      New Work Now!   Autobiography of a Terrorist / Sun, September 11

      Political Cabaret with Danny Hoch, Rennie Harris, Carl Hancock Rux, MC Suheir Hammad / Sun, September 11

      Lene Lovich / Mon, September 12

      Pierre Bensusan / Tues, September 13

      Vijay Iyer:  Part of the CMJ Music Marathon / Wed, September 14

      Kaki King:  Part of the CMJ Music Marathon / Wed, September 14

      Old Blind Dogs - Teada:  Part of the CMJ Music Marathon / Thurs, September 15

      Dancenow/NYC: Dance-mOpolitan, hosted by Doug Elkins: Thurs, September 15; Fri, September 16; Sat, September 17

      Morley with special guest Jorane:  Part of the CMJ Music Marathon / Fri, September 16

      Chris Smither / Sat, September 17

      New Work Now:  Rants! / Sun, September 18

      Terence Blanchard:  Flow / Sun, September 18

      Slaid Cleaves with special guest JJ Baron / Tues, September 20

      E.S.T. / Tues, September 20

      FerronTurning Into Beautiful CD Release / Wed, September 21

      So-Called -- Presented in association with the New York Jewish Music & Heritage Festival / Wed, September 21

      Jill Sobule-- Presented in association with the New York Jewish Music & Heritage Festival / Thurs, September 22 and Fri, September 23

      Julian Fleisher -- Presented in association with the New York Jewish Music & Heritage Festival / Fri, September 23

      Modular Moods:  Presents the Styles of the East; with Michal Cohen, Sarah Aroeste, Eyal Maoz & dj handler  -- Presented in association with the New York Jewish Music & Heritage Festival / Sat, September 24

      Rene Risque and the Art Lovers / Sat, September 24

      Ana Moura / Sun, September 25

      Razia / Mon, September 26

      Prom Songs:  A Benefit for the Harvey Milk High School and the Hetrick- Martin Institute / Mon, September 26

      Sara Gazarek / Tues, September 27

      Rosa Gudmundsdottir with special guest Joi Cardwell and opener Emily Zuzik / Tues, September 27

      Polygraph Lounge / Wed, September 28

      Mártires del Compás / Thurs, September 29

      A Moving Sound / Fri, September 30

      Wallace Roney / Fri, September 30

      Bill HarleyDear Santa Book Release / Sat, October 1

      Maxine Brown / Sat, October 1

      Richard Barone: The Soldier of Love / Sat, October 1

      The Kennedys:  Half a Million Miles CD Release / The Bedsit Poets:  The Summer That Changed CD Release / Sun, October 2

      First Fig / Sun, October 2

      Donna McKechnie: Here's to the Public!: The Music of Joe Papp's Public Theater / Mondays, October 3, 10, 17 & 24

      Somi / Mon, October 3

      Annbjørg Lien with Bjørn Ole Rasch / Tues, October 4

      East Village Opera Company CD Release/ Wed, October 5 and Thurs, October 6

      Feeling Guilty with Nice Jewish Girls Gone Bad featuring Judy Gold, Susie Felber, Ruth Andrew Ellison, Wendy Shanker and many more / Wed, October 5

      Alice Smith / Thursday, October 6

      Michael Penn with Rosie Thomas / Fri and Sat, October 7 and 8

      Badi Assad / Sun, October 9

      Stew / Mondays, October 10, 17 and 24
      (Three different shows; discounted tickets available if you buy tickets to all three)

      Jeff Daniels (solo) / Tues, October 11

      Stephanie McKay with special guest TBA / Tues, October 11

      Mulatu Astatke with Either/Orchestra:  Live at Addis Ababa CD Release / Thurs, October 13

      The Loser's Lounge Tribute to Stevie Wonder / Thurs, October 13; Fri, October 14; Sat, October 15

      Standing Ovations 4 -  From Stage to Screen and Back Again:  A Benefit Concert for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS  / Sun, October 16

      Dallam-Dougou / Sun, October 16

      Jimmie Dale GilmoreCome On Back CD Release / Tues, October 18

      Mary Gauthier / Wed, October 19

      Maya Azucena / Wed, October 19

      Peter Eldridge:  Decorum CD Release / Thurs, October 20

      Juana Molina / Thurs, October 20

      Ellis Paul / Fri, October 21

      Pierce Turner / Sat, October 22

      Songs By Sam:  The Music of Sam Davis / Sun, October 23

      Kate Clinton / Tues, October 25

      Anoushka Shankar and Special Guests:  Rise CD release / Thurs, October 27

      Tony Joe White / Fri, October 28

      Kyle Riabko / Fri, October 28

      Josh Joplin:  Jaywalker CD Release with special guest Peter Salett / Sat, October 29

      Slavic Soul Party and Rob Curto's Forro for All / Sat, October 29

      Polygraph Lounge: Halloween Family Matinee / Sun, October 30

      Gianmaria Testa / Tues, November 1

      Rubén Flores: The Latin American Songbook / Sat, November 5

      Steven Pasquale / Mon, November 7

      Willy Porter (with special guest TBD) / Tues, November 8

      Nashville Songwriters Series:  Country Takes NYC with Radney Foster, Rivers Rutherford, Mike Reid and Hilary Lindsey / Wed, November 9

      Del McCoury Band / Thurs, November 10

      Kurt Wolf's Lapis Lazuli with special guest Thomas Truax / Fri, November 11

      Nashville Songwriters Series:  Country Takes NYC with Brett James, Matraca Berg, Chris Lindsey, Aimee Mayo and Jessi Alexander / Sat, November 12

      Nashville Songwriters Series:  Country Takes NYC with Bob DiPiero, Anthony Smith, Jeffery Steele, Tim Nichols and Craig Wiseman / Sun, November 13

      Jorge Drexler:  Solo Acoustic / Mon, November 14

      Konono No. 1: Congotronics / Wed, November 16

      Holcombe Waller with special guest BC Camplight / Fri, November 18

      Erin McKeown / Mon, November 21

      Melissa Ferrick with special guest Natalia Zuckerman / Fri, November 25 and Sat, November 26

      Marshall Crenshaw:  Solo / Sun, November 27

      Billy Porter:  At the Corner of Broadway and Soul / Mon, November 28

      Jackie Hoffman:  Chanukah at Joe's Pub / Mondays, December 5, 12, 19 + 26

      Varla Jean Merman's I'm Not Paying For This! / Tuesday and Wednesday, December 6 and 7

      Kelly Joe Phelps with special guest Paul Curreri / Thurs, December 8

      BETTY: Snowbiz / Thurs - Sat, December 8 - 10

      Marion LoGuidice / Fri, December 9

      Teada's Very Irish Christmas Shows / Sun, December 11

      Dancenow/NYC:  David Parker and the Bang Group's Nutcracked with guest artists Peter DiMuro and The Happy Hour Comedy Trio / Thur-Sun, December 15-18

      Elysian Fields / Fri, December 23
      <

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)