Modern Dancin', Kids Rockin', and Loudon Wainwrightin'

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2005

      Hey there,

      So many things to say.  Djing up a storm, coming off our Fleet Week extravaganza at Crobar, including a gig this Tuesday at the Lion's Den with the Australian band The Cat Empire - here is how they have been described..."Where the hip-hop community dance to Gypsy, the jazz purists jump to hip-hop, the Latinos bop to reggae, the rastas shake to latin, the elderly sweat to funk, the youth swing to dancehall, and everyone wakes up a little happier!"   Fans of Ozomatli, Electric Gypsyland, or Balkan Beatbox will be in for a treat. Check www.thecatempire.com or www.myspace.com/thecatempire if you wanna hear them.

      Lots more GlobeSonic dj dates below, including our first in-store set at the Virgin Megastore on Thursday, and a series of parties for the publishing of Derek Beres long-awaited book Global Beat Fusion.  I bought my copy hot out of the box, this morning.  He'll be selling books at all the events, with a special focus on his gig at Joe's Pub on June 21 with live performances by Haale, Basya Schechter (of Pharaoh's Daughter), Vishal Vaid (of Karsh Kale's Realize Live band) and Anthony Mills.

      Joe's Pub schedule is jam-packed with great shows, that truly represent the full breadth of artistry that we present here at the Public.  Tonight's Maria McKee show is sold out, but we still have a few tickets left for an exciting double bill with Dayna Kurtz ( who The New Yorker just described as the "love child of Billie Holliday and Leonard Cohen") sharing the stage with the rocking orchestra ensemble Tarantula who have been causing quite a stir around town.  It will probably be sold out as we reach showtime, so come early.

      This weekend marks the final installment of this season's DancemOpolitan series presented in collaboration with DanceNow/NYC.  I make it a point to see every edition of this event at Joe's Pub - it's a great way to see an overview of some of the finest dance being created in NY, by artists at all stages of their careers.  Presented in bite-size morsels that make it a great way for those new to dance or those just wanting a broad survey of what's happening to see a great cross section of work filled with beauty, humor, angst, sensuality, athleticism, intellect and creativity, and there's nothing better than seeing dance in a relaxed setting with a cocktail by your side.   Two chances to see this great program, Friday and Saturday night, hosted by Robert Battle and Aszure Barton.

      This Friday we also welcome the spoken word artist Ursula Rucker bringing her mixture of conscious poetry and progressive beats. On Saturday night, the Mexican-born violinist Ernesto Villa-Lobos, who has played on the Pub stage numerous times with Morley and Toshi Reagon, and been featured at Town Hall performing his own classical compositions with the Mexican American Symphony Orchestra, celebrates his 24th birthday by exploring the jarocho music of his native Veracruz.

      On Sunday morning, the Joe's Pub Family series continues with a true all-ages show by Brady Rymer (who you may remember from the band From Good Homes) & The Little Band that Could, for a special 11 am matinee.  Special brunch menu available.  Tickets are going fast, and especially if you are packing up your kids to come, we recommend getting your tickets in advance to avoid tantrums.  Smart, tuneful rock for kids and the grown-ups who love them.   And save the date for our first mid-week family matinee on Wednesday June 29 at 3 pm when Michelle Shocked performs music from her new Western Swing album of songs from Disney films, as part of an unprecedented 3 different concerts in a single day.  Play hooky from work, since the kids are probably between school and camp, and see an American original.

      Sunday and Monday night, we are pleased to welcome back the songwriter Loudon Wainwright III for 4 shows- his last show here, celebrating the release of his new album, was sold out, so now you have 4 chances to see this hear one of folk music's most incisive songwriters. Check out the great article on the man quickly becoming known as Rufus and Martha's father in the current ssue of the NY Press. You'll also want to check out special late night paties including events with the Latin Funk Festival parties featuring Mimi, and Puerto Rico's A Mobius Collective.

      It's getting near the end of the day and time to send this out, so I'll direct you below to check out info for the run of CD release shows we have coming up for Raul Midon, (whose new album State of Mind is finally coming out - you'll be hearing lots more about him everywhere!), David Poe, Jackie Greene, Kiran Ahluwalia and Chuck Prophet.  I'll warn you that you better get your tickets for Juana Molina right away, because she'll be sold out by this time next week, and advise you that we have also added a show with her in October.  And I'll also direct you to look for shows in black to find out about new shows added, including a special Canada Day celebration with lots of Joe's Pub faves from both sides of the border, as part of the Upper North Side Canadian Music series.

      I am also SUPER excited to announce two more of the most anticipated African music events of the year - following up on our recent King Sunny Ade acoustic show, and the already announced return visit by the desert guitar rebels - Tinariwen (whose shows last fall were picked by Time Out NY as one of the top concerts of last year) - we have just announced the long-awaited return of the blind couple of Mali, Amadou & Mariam in August, celebrating the US release of their Manu Chao-produced album  Diamanche en Bamako, that has become a European sensation,.  Then, start planning early, because Congotronics are finally coming to NYC in November, when Konono No. 1, who have caused a stir throughout the online world, finally make their NY debut, following up on their tour of Europe this summer with Tortoise.   All three of these shows are essential - start planning now!

      Other new shows added below include French exotica and electronica from Euro-Visions, Bang-Kok rock from Thai guitar icon Sek Loso, Balkan rockers The Luminescent Orchestrii and Dragana Choir, Eddie From Ohio, Alix Buyu Ambroise & The Blues in Red Band, alternative flamenco-rockers Martires del Compas, soul legend Barbara Mason, The Avett Brothers, Chris Smither, and Richard Barone.  Keep reading for more.

      Finally, my partner Lisa is being honored by a Brooklyn based not-for-profit called CAMDA at a special cocktail reception and exhibition/sale of Shona art from Zimbabwe.  If you are interested in African art or in supporting a worthy organization and helping honor my honey, please consider attending.  More info below.

      Attendance and support at CAMBA’s annual fundraiser will help CAMBA (www.camba.org) to sustain and grow our programs that serve the Brooklyn community. Please forward this invitation to anyone who may be interested in this fundraiser.
      CAMBA cordially invites you to celebrate the opening of our annual

      STONE SCULPTURES FROM ZIMBABWE BENEFIT SALE/EXHIBITION
      at a special COCKTAIL RECEPTION Honoring

      Allan Kramer Member, CAMBA Board of Directors
      Beverly Morris Member, CAMBA Board of Directors
      Lisa L. Philp Vice President, Global Foundations Group JP Morgan Private Bank

      Wednesday, June 22, 2005 6 pm to 9 pm
      CAMBA Gallery
      19 Winthrop Street (near Flatbush Avenue), Brooklyn, New York 11225
      Tickets: $75
      (To purchase tickets and for further information visit -
      Public Exhibition & Sale
      June 23 - 26, 2005, 1 pm to 7 pm
      Free Admission

      Sculptures may be purchased with a personal check or major credit card.
      Forty percent of the sculpture purchase price is tax deductible. For more information, please call
      Lorelie Lombardo at 718.287.2600 ext. 228, or the gallery at 718.284.9064.
      To preview the collection please visit www.shonasculptures.com
      GlobeSonic gigs:
      THURS 6.9.05 - Virgin Mega Store Promo set for Latin Funk Festival 14th St @ Union Square | 6 pm | Free - Derek and I make our first retail appearance!

      THURS 6.16.05 - Latin Funk Festival @ Spirit 530 W 27th St | NYC w/ Los Amigos Invisibles, Lila Downs, Cultural Profetica & Manhattan Samba 8:30 pm | $20/$25  All three of us rock the megaclub with some of our favorite Latin artists

      TUES 6.21.05 - Global Beat Fusion book launch party @ Joe's Pub Featuring Haale, Vishal Vaid, Basya Schechter (of Pharaoh's Daughter) & Anthony Mills 425 Lafayette St.| NYC 7 pm | $12 - Yes, Derek's book is finally coming out, and tonight's live performances by some of our favorites kicks off a week of special activities - readings, parties and more. If you can only go to one - this is the one to go to.  I bought my copy of the book today!

      WED 6.22.05 - Global Beat Fusion reading @ McNally Robinson  50 Prince St. | 7 pm | Free

      THU 6.23.05 - Global Beat Fusion book launch party @ Toque Bembe | 81 South 6th St. (@ Berry) | Williamsburg BK Derek rocks the decks with Nat Rahav 9 PM | Free

      FRI 6.24.05 - Global Beat Fusion book launch party @ Turntables on the Hudson The Frying Pan | NYC  Derke continues to take over NYC with fellow globalistas Nickodemus, Mariano & more... 10 pm | $10

      SAT 6.25.05 -  Global Beat Fusion book launch party Featuring Eric Truffaz & I Led Three Nublu | Ave C (4th - 5th St) | NYC 7 PM | $20 Not only do we celebrate the release of Derek's book with a full on-tag-team session, but we also join the Nubu festival, as they celebrate the luanch of their new record label. (Next nublu party 7.23)

      MON 6.27.05 -B, D & F with DJ Panko of Ojos de Brujo Joe's Pub | 425 Lafayette St.| NYC | 11 pm | $10 Once again sharing the night with Barcelona's finest purveyor of flamenco/hip-hop/black gitano grooves.

      TUES 6.28.05 - B, D & F with Ojos de Brujo Irving Plaza | 17 Irving Place| NYC | 7:30 pm | $25 adv/$30 doors JUST ADDED - our 3rd gig with teh full on- flemenco/rumba/hip-hop band - one of the best live shows in global beat fusions.

      WED 6.29.05 - Global Beat Fusion book launch party @ Kollektiv Featuring Karsh Kale, Zakhm, Dimm Summer & DK Kush | 191 Christie St | NYC | 9 pm - Derek steps into the Asian Massive

      TUES 6.30.05 - With Lhasa Bowery Ballroom | 6 Delancy St | NYC | 8 pm | $20 - Yet another set on a bill with an incredible live artist

      SAT 7.02.05 Global Beat Fusion book launch party @ Afrokinetic Featuring Chris Annibell NYC Starfoods | 64 E 1st St (1st-2nd Ave) | NYC | 11 pm | $10/$5 before midnight - that Derek can't slow down.

      FRI 7.08.05 - Riverside Park South | The Pier on 68th Street & the Hudson River w/The Body Temple Drummers 7-11pm | Free All three of us launch a new outdoor sunset party on the River, in a mini-series that will continue for us on 8.12

      LOUDON WAINWRIGHT III
      Sunday-Monday, June 5-6 -- 7 & 9:30pm
      One of the great lyricists of our time, Loudon Wainwright III has been at work for four decades entertaining audiences around the globe. Known just as well these days for his movie & TV work as his music, he recently appeared along with two of his children Rufus & Martha in Martin Scorsese's hit film The Aviator. For these shows, Loudon will perform songs from his upcoming release, Here Come the Choppers, produced by Lee Townsend. The album includes songs that were written over the last five years, the title track of which was written as the country prepared to go to war with Iraq. "Mr. Wainwright has proved to be far and away the most candid diarist among the singer-songwriters who, inspired by Bob Dylan, brought confessional poetry into popular song...Through it all, Mr. Wainwright has never curbed his ruthless self-honesty...Mr. Wainwright wrings more human truth out of his contradiction than any other songwriter of his generation." -New York Times www.lwiii.com
      Get your Loudon Wainwright III tickets now!
      Joe's Pub at The Public Theater
      Schedule of Events

      Visit our website at: www.JoesPub.com
      425 Lafayette Street bet. East 4th St. & Astor Place.
      Take N train to Broadway & 8th St. or 6 train to Astor Place.
      For information & reservations: 212.539.8778
      or, for Telecharge listed events: 212.239.6200.

      For the upcoming show descriptions see below, and for weekly late night events, see below.

      Newly-added shows in black.
      ********************
      Dayna Kurtz w/ special guest Tarantula A.D. / Thurs, June 2

      Maria McKee / Thurs, June 2 SOLD OUT

      Ursula Rucker / Fri, June 3

      Dancenow/NYC: Dance-mOpolitan, hosted by Aszure Barton & Robert Battle, feat. Kyle Abrahams, Camille Brown, Millicent Johnnie and Dancers, Sarah Morrison Dance, Tsukayama Dance collaborative, Kate Weare, Jeramy Zimmerman/Cat Scratch Theatre and much more / Fri & Sat, June 3 & 4

      Ernesto Villa-lobos & Bamba NY / Sat, June 4

      Brady Rymer (of From Good Homes) and his Little Band That Could - family matinee / Sun, June 5

      Loudon Wainwright III / Sun - Mon, June 5 - 6

      Latin Funk Music Festival Preshow Party feat. MIMA / Mon, June 6

      Raul Midon: State of Mind CD Release / Tue, June 7

      Jackie Greene: Sweet Somewhere Bound CD Release / Tues, June 7

      David Poe w/ special guest Kevin Devine / Wed, June 8

      Chuck Prophet: Age of Miracles / Wed, June 8

      A Mobius Collective, feat. A Bomba presentation and MIMA w/ DJ Nature / Wed, June 8

      Kiran Ahluwalia: CD Release / Thurs, June 9

      Juana Molina / Thurs, June 9

      Lina Koutrakos / Fri, June 10

      Martha Redbone / Fri, June 10

      Slaid Cleaves / Sat, June 11

      Tammy Faye Starlite: Born Again, Again / Sat, June 11

      Heeb presents: Storytelling, hosted by Seth Herzog, feat. Ben Greenman, Michael Showalter, Michelle Collins, Joey Garfield, Sara Schaefer, Ophira Eisenberg & more / Sun, June 12

      First Fig hosted by Will Power, feat. Dael Orlandersmith, Elizabeth Swados, Eisa Davis, Jennifer Gibbs & more / Sat, June 12

      John Tartaglia: AD-LIBerty / Mondays, June 13, June 20 & July 4

      Jesse Tyler Ferguson in Adios Pantalones / Mondays, June 13, June 20 & July 4

      Euro-Visions DJ Showcase / Mon, June 13

      East Village Opera Company / Tues, June 14 SOLD OUT

      Ethnic Heritage Ensemble / Tues, June 14 CANCELED

      Lizz Wright / Wed & Thurs, June 15 & 16

      Mark Mulcahy / Fri, June 17

      Imani Uzuri: Her Holy Water: A Black Girl's Rock Opera / Fri, June 17

      Muffy Nixon / Sat, June 18

      Elysian Fields / Sat, June 18

      Toshi Reagon & Catherine Russell feat. Big Lovely: Sacred Music show / Sun, June 19

      Ann Peebles / Sun, June 19

      ABB Soul presents: Mark DeClive-Lowe Album Release + DJ Prolific / Mon, June 20

      Derek Beres: Global Beat Fusion Book Release feat. Haale, Vishal Vaid, Basya Schechter (of Pharaoh's Daughter) & Anthony Mills / Tuesday, June 21

      Vanessa Carlton / Tues, June 21

      Emiliana Torrini / Wed & Thurs, June 22 & 23

      Juan Carlos Formell - solo acoustic / Wed, June 22

      Rene Risque & The Art Lovers / Thurs & Fri, June 23 & 24

      David Berkeley w/ special guest Clare Burson / Fri, June 24

      Ella Leya / Sat, June 25

      Jim Bauer's DAGMAR / Sat, June 25

      Les Primitifs du Futur / Sun, June 26

      Un-Cabaret presents: Say The Word / Sun, June 26

      Sam Harris / Mon, June 27

      DJ Panko (Ojos de Brujo)/GlobeSonic / Mon, June 27

      Lesley Gore / Tuesdays, June 28, July 19 & 26

      Kelli Sae: Naked / Tues, June 28

      Michelle Shocked's Threesome: 3 CD Release -- Got No Strings Family Matinee / Don't Ask Don't Tell / Mexican Standoff / Wed, June 29

      Rough Stars, Parlor Scouts & Bellflur w/ DJ Handler / Wed, June 29

      Renee Cologne w/ special guest Essie Jain / Thurs, June 30

      Haale / Thurs, June 30

      Happy Birthday, Canada: A Celebration of Canadian Song, feat. Joe Hurley, Greg Naughton, The Petersons, Kate McGarry & more / Fri, July 1

      Sek Loso (Bang-Kok Rock) / Tues, July 5

      The Luminescent Orchestrii and Dragana Choir / Tues, July 5

      The Kinsey Sicks: I Wanna Be A Republican / Wed, July 6

      Jazzinho w/ special guest DJ Rafe Gomez / Thurs, July 7

      Contramano: CD Release / Fri, July 8

      Vishal Vaid w/ Rahis Khan, Rufus Capadoccia, and Karsh Kale / Sat, July 9

      Eddie From Ohio / Sun, July 10

      Las Ondas Marteles/Las Rubias del Norte / Mon, July 11

      Cintra Wilson and friends / Mon, July 11

      Caitlin Cary & Thad Cockrell / Tues, July 12

      Uncle Earl / Tues, July 12

      Balkan Beat Box / Wed, July 13

      Daphne Rubin-Vega / Thurs, July 14

      Jim White: Alone with Machines / Thurs, July 14

      King Wilkie / Fri, July 15

      Morley / Saturday, July 16

      Stew / Sat, July 16

      Nicolai Dunger w/ special guests: Holcombe Waller (7pm) & Tim Fite (9pm) / Sun, July 17

      Lillias White: 21st Annual Birthday Party / July 18, 21, 22 & 23

      Tinariwen / Wednesday, July 20

      Toshi Reagon & Big Lovely: Sacred Music show / Sun, July 24

      The Waifs w/ special guest Ben Weaver / Sun & Mon, July 24 & 25

      Marlon Saunders: A Groove So Deep CD Release w/ special guests Monet & April Hill / Tues, July 26

      CocoRosie / Wed, July 27

      Charanga Cakewalk / Thurs, July 28

      Alix Buyu Ambroise & The Blues in Red Band / Fri, July 29

      John Jorgenson Quintet / Sat, July 30

      DK Dyson / Sat, July 30

      Martires del Compas / Wed, August 3

      John Wesley Harding's Love Hall Tryst feat. Kelly Hogan, Nora O'Connor & Brian Lohmann / Sat, August 6

      Richard Thompson, solo: Front Parlour Ballads CD Release / Mon, August 8 [SOLD OUT]

      Amadou and Mariam: Dimanche à Bamako CD Release / Mon, August 8

      October Project / Tues, August 9

      Raul Malo - acoustic / Wednesdays, August 10, 17, 24 & 31

      Lonnie Liston Smith / Thurs, August 11

      Barbara Mason / Fri, August 12

      The Avett Brothers / Sat, August 13

      Nora York: Truth to Power / Thurs, August 18

      Marta Gomez / Sat, August 20

      Fanfare Ciocarlia / Thurs, August 25

      Yasmin Levy / Thurs, September 1

      Maria de Barros / Fri, September 2

      The Music of Frank Wildhorn / Mondays, September 5, 12 & 19

      Nouvelle Vague / Sat, September 10 & Tues, September 13

      Vijay Iyer / Wed, September 14

      Old Blind Dogs / Teada / Thurs, September 15

      Chris Smither / Sat, September 17

      E.S.T. / Tues, September 20

      Marion LoGuidice / Sat, September 24

      Richard Barone / Sat, October 1

      Donna McKechnie: Here's to the Public!: The Music of Joe Papp's Public Theater / Mondays, October 3, 10, 17 & 24

      Badi Assad / Sun, October 9

      Pierce Turner / Sat, October 15

      Juana Molina / Thurs, October 20

      Kate Clinton / Tues, October 25

      Gianmaria Testa / Tues, November 1

      Konono No. 1: Congotronics / Wed, November 16

      BETTY: Snowbiz / Thurs - Sat, December 8 - 10

      Teada's Very Irish Christmas Shows / Sun, December 11

      UPCOMING PERFORMANCES
      *<

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)