Richard Shindell, Annie Golden, and a pair of Wainwrights...

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2005
      The spring thaw is in the air, and the cherry trees on my block in Brooklyn are just starting to bloom. It's a beautiful time of year....
      What a week it's been - so many highlights, but I must say that last Thursday's surprise duets between John Doe and Neko Case, and then Tuesday's journey from the sublime Choying Drolma/Steve Tibbets concert followed by the ecstatic return to the US by Isamel Lo for the first time in a decade - going from soaring ballads, to full throttle audience-dancing-on-the stage mbalax - were right up there.  It's always amazing to see some of Africa's biggest stars in this intimate an environment - and I'm grateful to all of you friends who helped spread the word among the African and Tibetan communities and world music lovers of all backgrounds.  It was a beautiful night.
      And speaking of Africa's biggest stars, we are delighted to renew our partnership with the presenters of the Great African Ball, to present another pair of complementary concerts like we have in previous years with Youssou.  This year, Nigeria's incredible King Sunny Ade will bring his 20 piece band to Roseland Ballroom for an all-night dance party which is absolutely essential for any fan of African music, or just great dance music of any types.  One of the first world music concerts I produced was by King Sunny at the Boston Globe Jazz Festival about 13 years ago, and the memories still linger.  There are few bands who lock into such simultaneously propulsive and hypnotic grooves, with interlocking percussion and a wall of electric guitars picking and sliding....at the Ball, he will for the first time bring the show to the truly transcendent levels of the marathon concerts he performs back home in Nigeria, shows that inspire audiences to shower him with dollar bills throughout the night.  Don't miss it.
      So why am I saying all this about a show not at Joe's Pub?  Because at the beginning of it all, I am a music fan, and this is the kind of night that reduces me to full fan mode.
      I'll also be wearing my fan hat as well as my producer hat two nights later, when King Sunny will bring a smaller contingent to Joe's Pub in an unplugged Palm Wine session - playing homage to the older styles that influenced him coming up.  Though he's done some of this repertoire as part of his concerts before, this show marks the first time he's EVER performed a full concert in this format.  A once in a lifetime gift to the aficionados.
      Really, the best recommendation is to see both, to understand the full range and depth of this gifted artist, and we have made arrangements for discounted tickets for the Great African Ball if you by them at Tribal Soundz, nearby on 6th Street. See the end of the email, to get more details.  Honestly, between you and me, if I had to choose between one of these two shows, I'd go to the Great African Ball at Roseland.  But the best plan is to do as I will.  Come to both. Note: Telecharge may not have the Palm Wine show onsale online, but it should be available by phone.  If not, it will be ready any minute now...
      And since I'm talking about African artists, let this be your early warning about this July's return by the desert rebels of Mali, Tinariwen, and keep your eyes out for a new show added soon by Ba Cissoko, a hot young group from Guinea featuring an artist being lauded as the Jimi Hendrix of the kora.
      Alright already, I hear you saying.  What should I see at Joe's Pub this week?  Well, a bunch of shows are already sold out or damn close, including any house seats (Carmen Consoli, Nouvelle Vague, Martha Wainwright - see this week's Time Out for a great profile, Martha's dad, Loudon III, Raul Midon with guest set by uber-producer John Simon, Standing Ovations 3, Michael Penn with Jim Boggia, Janis Ian) so be reminded, you get early notice on special shows, so read the fine print, buy your tix early, and if you need a table, you can set it up easily by calling the reservation line at 539-8778 - no need to get me involved ;)
      So I've told you what you can't see, what can you see?  Well, after it was clear his show tonight was selling out, we were able to add a second show tomorrow at 9:30 by Richard Shindell, and we just worked it out so his talented opener Anais Mitchell will do a short opening set closer to 9:15.  Earlier in the night, we welcome back NYC Smoke, featuring Howie Statland formerly of Thin Lizard Dawn.  Compared to the Strokes meeting Springsteen, Howie will play songs from his new album, and the evening will be kicked off by the hook-filled rock of Muffy Nixon.
      Another recent addition to the schedule is Sonya Kitchell, a 16-year old phenom who has been earning comparisons to Joss Stone (natch), as well as Norah Jones, as she traverses the world of jazz and sophisticated folk.  An artist to catch now, while the buzz is just starting to bubble up.
      Sunday night, Annie Golden, who I first discovered in the film version of Hair and later with her band The Shirts, has been a star of Broadway shows like The Full Monty, returns with her cabaret show full of smart songs, by everyone from Tom Waits to Tammy Wynette to Stephen Sondheim to Adam Guettel to originals.  It's been a minute since her last Pub shows and we're excited to welcome her back.
      A few terrific singer-songwriters coming thru in the next few days - Josh Joplin on Sunday night, and next Thursday Ellis Paul returns with opening set by the striking Pieta Brown, who shares some of the dark intensity of her father Greg Brown, and keep your eyes out for Katie Elevitch, Catie Curtis with newly added guest Tracy Grammer, Cary Pierce of Jackopierce, and Howard Fishman)
      Next weekend, a few singers who also refuse to be easily classified, as they blur the boundaries between jazz, folk, pop and cabaret - On Friday, Kate McGarry, who has been winning great acclaim for her performances with pianist Fred Hersch in his Leaves of Grass project brings Fred along as her guest along with a stellar band, celebrating her terrific new album Mercy Streets. Then a week form Saturday, Nora York, the "philosopher diva" who I just had the pleasure of seeing win a Bistro Award from Backstage magazine, celebrates the national release of HER new album.
      More treats for jazz fans at the Pub this week.  Along with the ongoing new residency of the Mingus Orchestra, with the support of Putumayo records, we bring New Orleans trumpeter / singer and chef Kermit Ruffins, whose performances and BBQ's are legendary.  A perfect warm-up to whet the appetite of those of you making the pilgrimage to Jazzfest (or in my case, Festival International de Lafayette), in a week and a half.
      Among those who will be marching upright to Jazzfest and Lafayette is France's funky funky brass soul band, CQMD, making their NY debut next Friday.  Imagine a New Orleans brass band colliding with Maceo Parker and the JB Horns, with sprinklings of Antibalas, The Skatalites, Tower of Power, and an occasional dubbed out excursion into Funkytown (yes, Lipps, Inc) and you'll have an idea why this band has been tearing up festivals around the world.
      Keep reading below for newly added shows in black, and save the date, May 19, for a VERY SPECIAL spring benefit for Joe's Pub, featuring a special jazz project by one of opera's must luminary stars, collaborating with one of jazz's finest pianists.  Details to be announced next week.
      Speaking of benefits, I am proud to be on the benefit committee for Bang on A Can, whose party on April 19 honor's Nonesuch Records's Bob Hurwitz, a longtime FOJP (friend of Joe's Pub), and features performances by Stephin Merritt of Magnetic Fields, Nonesuch recording artist Brad Mehldau, and Musical America's Ensemble of the Year, The Bang on a Can All-Stars.  This will be a great evening, and help propel the work of some of NYC's and the world's most creative and dynamic composers.  Go to www.bangonacan.org/rdr12.html?link=benefit for more info and hope to see you there
      Finally, countdown to the next GlobeSonic is starting - Fabian, Derek and I will be back at nublu at 62 Ave C on Saturday, April 16, from 10 pm - 4.  $5, free with email, as well celebrate the release of Derek's new compilation.  And check out Fabian's other party, Body Temple, at the Brooklyn Lyceum, this weekend too.

      SAT 4.09.05
      Body Temple
      @ Brooklyn Lyceum
      227 4th Avenue
      Brooklyn NY
      Fabian Alsultany w/DJ Haj, Parashakti & more
      $25 advance/$30 door

      SAT 4.16.05

      GlobeSonic with resident dj's Fabian Alsultany, Derek Beres and yours truly, Acidophilus
      Nublu | 62 Ave. C (4th & 5th St) | NYC | 10pm
      $5 or Free with E-mail Printout

      Thursday, April 7 -- 7pm (w/ guest Anaïs Mitchell) - SOLD OUT
      Friday, April 8 -- 9:30pm - 2nd SHOW ADDED!
      An expatriate New Yorker now living in Argentina, Shindell is a meticulous craftsman of song whose albums have been revered by critics and fans alike. From 1992's Sparrow's Point to his latest Vuelta (Koch), Shindell has demonstrated a penchant for songwriting at once passionate and profound. He has a unique ability to morph into the soul of the many and varied personalities he casts as narrators in certain songs -- songs that are veritable novellas framed in haunting acoustic melodies. Richard Shindell is "America's best singer/songwriter" according to The Los Angeles Daily News. "Let his extraordinary songs do the talking," they urge; "this is the voice of a master." www.richardshindell.com
      Click here to get your tickets now!
      Joe's Pub at The Public Theater
      Schedule of Events

      Visit our website at: www.JoesPub.com
      425 Lafayette Street bet. East 4th St. & Astor Place.
      Take N train to Broadway & 8th St. or 6 train to Astor Place.
      For information & reservations: 212.539.8778
      or, for Telecharge listed events: 212.239.6200.

      For the upcoming show descriptions see below, and for weekly late night events, see below.

      Newly-added shows in black.
      Richard Shindell w/ special guest Anaïs Mitchell (4/7 only) / Thurs, April 7 [SOLD OUT] & Fri, April 8

      NYCSmoke w/ special guest Muffy Nixon / Fri, April 8

      Sonya Kitchell / Sat, April 9

      Annie Golden's Velvet Prison feat. Marsh Hanson / Sun, April 10

      Josh Joplin / Sun, April 10

      Carmen Consoli / Mon, April 11 [SOLD OUT]

      DJ Swingsett & DJ Alex Clark & Little Women / Mon, April 11

      Nouvelle Vague / Tues, April 12 [SOLD OUT]

      Martha Wainwright: CD Release / Tues, April 12

      Raul Midón w/ special guest John Simon / Wed, April 13

      Loudon Wainwright III / Wed, April 13 [SOLD OUT]

      Mudville CD Release w/ special guests 5 Feet: Perspectives, Petal Shot, and Large Professor performing with DJ Dub L / Wed, April 13

      Ellis Paul w/ special guest Pieta Brown / Thurs, April 14

      Putumayo presents New Orleans feat. Kermit Ruffins / Thurs, April 14

      The Charles Mingus Orchestra / every Thursday

      Kate McGarry Quintet w/ special guest: Fred Hersch: Mercy Streets CD Release, feat. Steve Cardenas, Keith Ganz, Sean Smith & Kenny Wollesen / Fri, April 15

      CQMD - Ceux Qui Marchent Debout / Fri, April 15

      Nora York: What I Want CD Release / Sat,  April 16

      Chocolate Genius w/ special guest Alice Smith / Sat, April 16

      BroadwayWorld.com presents: Standing Ovations 3, a Benefit Concert for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS / Sun, April 17

      Katie Elevitch: Now is the Destination CD Release w/ special guest Katy Pfaffl / Sun, April 17

      Michael Penn w/ special guest Jim Boggia / Mon, April 18

      Smacks Records presents: The Dix DVD screening & Kice...Of Course CD Release, hosted by Mr. Dead & Mr. Len / Mon, April 18

      Janis Ian / Tues, April 19

      Las Rubias del Norte / Tues, April 19

      Hanna-McEuen / Wed, April 20

      Maria Cangiano: Tango and Beyond / Wed, April 20

      Catie Curtis / Thurs, April 21

      Cary Pierce (of Jackopierce) - solo acoustic /
      Thurs, April 21

      The Bobs / Fri, April 22

      Howard Fishman: Look At All This! CD Release / Friday, April 22

      The Duhks / Sat, April 23

      Razia / Sat, April 23

      Rami Khalife / Sun, April 24

      Ana Gasteyer: Let it Rip! An Evening of Song / Sun, April 24

      Kyle Riabko w/ special guest The Fray / Mon, April 25

      Gabby La La feat. Les Claypool / Mon, April 25

      Suphala w/ special guest DJ Professor Shehab / Mon, April 25

      Cowboy Jack Clement / Tues, April 26

      Alison Crockett feat. DJ Spinna & Ivana Santilli / Tues, April 26

      Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion/Greg Naughton / Wed, April 27

      Pharaoh's Daughter / Wed, April 27

      Christopher O'Riley Plays Radiohead: Hold Me to This CD Release / Thurs, April 28

      Dave Alvin Acoustic Duo / Fri, April 29 & Sun, May 1

      Richard Barone: The Littlest DJ (A Pop Life Retrospective) / Fri, April 29

      David Krakauer's Klezmer Madness! w/ special guest So-Called /
      Sat, April 30

      King Sunny Ade - Acoustic Palm Wine Session / Sun, May 1

      Akiko Yano / Mon, May 2

      The Luminescent Orchestrii and Dragana Choir / Mon, May 2

      Nitta Oyako / Tues, May 3

      Sir Richard Bishop (of Sun City Girls) / Tues, May 3

      Matt Darriau's Ballin' the Jack Does the Marx Brothers / Wed, May 4

      Guinga / Thurs, May 5

      Dancenow/NYC: Dance-mOpolitan / Fri & Sat, May 6 & 7; June 3 & 4

      So Percussion: Drumming CD Release / Sat, May 7

      Shirley Collins: America over the Water w/ special guest Jenni Muldaur [Special Family Matinee & Evening Shows!] / Sun, May 8

      Auktyon / Sun, May 8

      Just Chillin': An Evening with Norm Lewis, A Benefit for The Actor's Fund of America / Mon, May 9

      Raul Midón w/ special guest Danielia Cotton / Tues, May 10

      Jim Boggia: Safe In Sound CD Release / Tues, May 10

      Choro Ensemble: CD Release / Wed, May 11

      Jose Conde y Ola Fresca / Wed, May 11

      Kenny White / Heather Greene / Thurs, May 12

      Jack DeJohnette w/ Foday Musa Suso & Jerome Harris / Fri, May 13

      Chris Stamey / Sat, May 14

      Ann Rabson - solo (from Saffire - The Uppity Blues Women) w/ special guest David Olney / Sun, May 15

      Willy Porter / Monday, May 16

      The Greg Proops Chat Show w/ guest Lewis Black & more / Mon, May 16

      The Sharp Things: Foxes & Hounds CD Release / Tues, May 17

      Paulette McWilliams feat. Vincent Herring, Nat Addreley Jr., Richie Goods & E.J. Strickland / Tues, May 17

      Rebecca Martin/Erin Bode / Wed, May 18

      Isabel Rose / Wed, May 18

      Meredith Monk Vocal Ensemble / Fri, May 20

      Asylum Street Spankers / Sat, May 21

      Stew / Sat, May 21

      Plastic People of the Universe / Sun, May 22

      The Music of Neil Berg: BroadwayWorld.com's Front and Center Concert Series / Mon, May 23

      Michael Weber / Mon, May 23

      Melba Moore: Back for Moore / Tues, May 24 & Wed, May 25

      Omar / Tues, May 24

      Steve Forbert / Wed, May 25

      DJ Battle 2005 / Wed, May 25

      Paula Morelenbaum / Thurs, May 26

      Julian Velard w/ special guest Josh Fix / Fri, May 27

      Girlyman: Little Star CD Release / Fri, May 27

      The Strawbs - Acoustic / Sat, May 28

      Children On The Corner feat. Michael Henderson, Sam Morrison, Billy "Spaceman" Patterson, Victor Jones, Badal Roy & MasaBumi Kikuchi / Sat, May 28

      The Leading Men Concert: A Benefit for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS / Monday, May 30

      Lance Horne: The Way Love Goes / Monday, May 30

      One Ring Zero / Barbez / Tues, May 31

      The Nields / Wed, June 1

      Oojami / Wed, June 1

      Dayna Kurtz w/ special guest Tarantula / Thurs, June 2

      Ursula Rucker / Fri, June 3

      Brady Rymer (of From Good Homes) and his Little Band That Could - family matinee / Sun, June 5

      The Greencards / Tues, June 7

      Chuck Prophet: Age of Miracles / Wed, June 8

      Kiran Ahluwalia: CD Release / Thurs, June 9

      Juana Molina / Thurs, June 9

      Slaid Cleaves / Fri, June 10

      Martha Redbone / Fri, June 10

      Tammy Faye Starlite: Born Again, Again / Sat, June 11

      Jesse Tyler Ferguson in Adios Pantalones / Mondays, June 13, June 20 & July 4

      East Village Opera Company / Tues, June 14

      Lizz Wright / Wed & Thurs, June 15 & 16

      Imani Uzuri: Her Holy Water: A Black Girl's Rock Opera / Fri, June 17

      John Tartaglia: AD-LIBerty / Mondays, June 20 & 27, July 4

      Derek Beres: Global Beat Fusion Book Release feat. Haale, Vishal Vaid, Basya Schechter & Anthony Mills / Tuesday, June 21

      Rene Risque & The Art Lovers / Fri, June 24

      Ella Leya / Sat, June 25

      Sam Harris / Mon, June 27

      Lesley Gore / Tuesdays, June 28, July 19 & 26

      Jim White: Alone with Machines / Thurs, July 14

      Tinariwen / Wednesday, July 20

      Marlon Saunders: A Groove So Deep CD Release w/ special guests Monet & April Hill / Tues, July 26

      Charanga Cakewalk / Thurs, July 28

      John Jorgenson Quintet / Sat, July 30

      Raul Malo - acoustic / Wednesdays, August 10, 17, 24 & 31

      Old Blind Dogs / Teada / Thurs, September 15

      Badi Assad / Sun, October 9

      Pierce Turner / Sat, October 15

      Thurs & Fri, April 7 & 8
      RICHARD SHINDELL w/ special guest Anaïs Mitchell (4/7 only)
      2nd show added!
      An expatriate New Yorker now living in Argentina, Richard Shindell is a meticulous craftsman of song whose four studio albums and recent live recording have been revered by critics and fans alike. Innovative, original and occasionally spiritual, from his first record, 1992's Sparrow's Point to his latest Vuelta (Koch), Shindell has demonstrated a penchant for songwriting at once passionate and profound. His songs are often slowly and painstakingly crafted until honed to perfection, while he is also capable of writing tunes that are simply clever and amusing. Shindell's songwriting is truly eclectic, ranging from lighthearted ballads and adulterous love songs, to dirges and diatribes that skillfully skewer politics, prejudice, war and religion. He has a unique ability to morph into the soul of the many and varied personalities he casts as narrators in certain songs -- songs that are veritable novellas framed in haunting acoustic melodies. Richard Shindell is "America's best singer/songwriter" according to The Los Angeles Daily News. "Let his extraordinary songs do the talking," they urge; "this is the voice of a master." www.richardshindell.com 4/7 7pm, 4/8 9:30pm; $20 Buy RICHARD SHINDELL tickets now!

      Thurs, April 7
      9:30pm, SOLD OUT

      Thurs, March 31
      see full info above.
      11:30pm ($20) & 1:30am ($10); cash at door; 50% off for students and musicians w/ valid ID

      Fri, April 8
      NYCSMOKE w/ special guest Muffy Nixon
      NYCSmoke is the brainchild of Howie Statland, formerly THIN LIZARD DAWN (RCA). NYCSmoke has released two previous CDs and will be debuting songs from their latest, "Hearts & Stones." This new record was mixed by Don Fleming (Sonic Youth, Pete Yorn) and features sharply crafted songs, naked aggression, soulful rock singing, superb songwriting, guitars and more guitars. Statland has also written and directed his own music film, "Low Flame," and has written music for film with Philip Glass. "Angry, sometimes even enraged, the raunchy, simplified clang of NYCSmoke is the liberating sound of a liberated man." -The Aquarian www.nycsmoke.com
      Muffy Nixon grew up singing in the lobby of her mother's in-home psychiatric practice, eavesdropping on sessions and making up songs about the conversations she would hear. Although it made for some interesting lyrics, these days, Muffy's songs are much more self-reflective. Currently living in New York, and having played the club scene for years, collaborating with Steven Trask (Hedwig and the Angry Inch) and Meredith Brooks among others, Muffy co-wrote her debut album with up-and coming producer Chris Rodriguez. Her stunning debut, Freakshow, is filled with sharp pop melodies and pointed barbs about broken hearts, addiction, giant drag queens, and unrequited love. Muffy fleshes out her feelings with a powerfully emotive voice that alternately conveys feelings of love and fear, yearning and regret, hope and longing. "Sexy vocals" -The New Yorker www.muffynixon.com 7pm, $12
      Buy NYCSMOKE tickets now!

      Sat, April 9
      What were you doing when you were 16? For most of us, our teen years were a heady mix of exploration, experimentation and insecurity. Sonya Kitchell is that rare exception - she has found her voice, both literally and figuratively. One hears hints of many of the greats in Kitchell, from the airy lyricism of Joni Mitchell to the phrasing of Ella Fitzgerald to the romanticism of Norah Jones, but the sound is all her own. It is unadorned, honest and heartfelt. Beyond Kitchell's vocal warmth, something that is more surprising is that she is a great songwriter. To date, she has written over 100 songs, an incredible feat given that she only started writing four years ago, at the age of twelve. www.sonyakitchell.com 9:30pm, $12
      Buy SONYA KITCHELL tickets now!

      Sun, April 10
      ANNIE GOLDEN's Velvet Prison feat. Marsh Hanson
      Annie debuted her uplifting story-telling song-cycle at Joe's Pub while starring on Broadway in The Full Monty and now she returns for a fourth appearance portraying characters whose circumstances unfold in an unpredictable blend of ballads and belted show-stoppers written by Tom Waits, Lionel Bart, Stephen Sondheim, Marc Shaiman, Tammy Wynette and Adam Guettel mixed in with Golden's own collaborative compositions. This singer/songwriter and all around performer will be accompanied by her new friend as accompanist Marsh Hanson, himself an accomplish Broadway actor and singer. This return engagement promises to be something you will want to check out. 7:30pm, $15
      Buy ANNIE GOLDEN tickets now!

      Sun, April 10
      Josh Joplin's bent for story telling (political and otherwise) between songs may be the only reminder left, that still sharply draws on the early influence of his hero Phil Ochs. His songs and performances however give way to the more obvious comparisons with the young infectious pop anger of "Armed Forces" era Elvis Costello, and a voice that easily recalls R.E.M.'s "Radio Free Europe". "Beneath the surface of each [Josh Joplin] song, there is an identifiable yearning, a sense that dreams, when stripped of their impossibly wide-eyed passions, are even more worthy of being dreamed." -All Music Guide www.joshjoplin.com 9:30pm, $12
      Buy JOSH JOPLIN tickets now!

      Mon, April 11
      9:30pm, SOLD OUT

      Mon, April 11
      DJ Swingsett (Ism Records, Ubiquity) and DJ Alex Clark (BGArecords.com) will be spinning a deep blend of soul, jazz, funk and broken-beat. Takuya (Ism, Organic Grooves) will be overlaying live keys and trumpet! Soul, Jazz, hip-hop and breaks of all tempos are the foundation of DJ Swingsett's long NYC DJ'ing history, dating back to 1992. He has been very closely related to and involved with the abstract dance scene since 1992, playing at many Giant Step events, before shifting his focus to the Drum 'n Bass scene in 1995 as a resident at Konkrete Jungle, New York's premier D&B weekly party. Swingsett also has significant

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)