K Lounge GlobeSonic Benefit Friday

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2005
      GlobeSonic
      Forgive the additional email this week, but I wanted to pass along this announcement about an event happening this Friday night.  Sometimes tragedies strike close to home, and on New Years' Day, theer was a bad fire at the home of our GlobeSonic bretheren/sistren (?), Fabian Alsultany and Parashakti.  Luckily, noone was hurt, but there was a lot of physical damage.  We are hoping to raise some money to help them repair the apartment.  Hope you can come out to support.

      Joe's Pub email later this week.

      Join GS Mailing List

      GlobeSonic EPK

      Click the still above to view the six-minute GlobeSonic video, produced by Projectile Arts.

      FRI 1.07.05
      K-Lounge
      w/Thte Shakti Spirit Dancers
      30 W 52nd, NYC

      SAT 1.15.05
      Nublu
      62 Ave. C (4th & 5th St), NYC
      10pm/$5 or Free with E-mail Printout

      For more click here

      SAT 1.08.05
      GlobalFest @ The Public Theater
      425 Lafayette St
      6 pm/$40

      TUE 1.25.05
      Sussan Deyhim performs Vocodeliks @ Makor
      Steinhardt Building, 35 W 67th St
      8 PM/$15

      THU 03.17.05
      Orchestra Baobab @ Zankel Hall
      57th St & 7th Ave
      8:30 PM/$30-$42

      Global Beat Fusion

      The new book by Derek Beres, to be published 6.21.05.

      Greetings,

      We hope everyone had a great new year and are very excited to get 2005 underway. This Friday our first event is in conjunction with the APAP (Association of Performing Arts Presenters) conference and IMN (International Music Network) will be at K Lounge in midtown Manhattan. The night will feature performances by The Shakti Spirit Dancers and ghazal vocalist Vishal Vaid, so make sure to get there early. The following night we will all be at GlobalFest, a spectacular event at the Public Theater featuring performances by an array of artists, including Antibalas, Eva Ayllon, Mory Kante, Lokou Kanza, Juana Molina, Noche Flamenco, Ollabelle, Paris Combo, Rokia Traore, Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Warsaw Village Band, Yoshida Brothers and DJ Rekha.

      As some of you are already aware, over the New Year weekend Fabian Alsultany's apartment caught fire and destroyed a lot of his music and other articles. Fortunately no one was hurt and the fire stayed pretty isolated, but the damages expenses have added up. So while this Friday's GlobeSonic is a free event, we will be collecting donations to anyone interested in helping Fabian rebuild his home. He is currently offline while all the wires in his apartment are being fixed, so for now you can e-mail me at derek@... with any questions or concerns; he should be back online by this weekend.

      Below is the event info, as well as a great write-up Flavorpill gave us this week; see you all there.

      Thanks,
      Derek Beres

      FLAVORPILL 1.04.05 - Since 2000, DJs Fabian Alsultany, Acidophilus, and Derek Beres (a flavorpill contributor), aka Globesonic, have been fixed on bringing awareness to the momentum-gaining movement of world dance music. Tonight, they rock the sound system of the exotically-themed K Lounge with one of their high-energy sets, a melting pot of Afro-beat, tabla, drum 'n bass, global trance, dub, hip-hop, and house. Also performing are longtime collaborators the Shakti Spirit Dancers, who bring their graceful multiculti moves; the Body Temple drummers; and stunning ghazal singer, Vishal Vaid. Anticipate an unreserved crowd, due to the influx of attendees from the Association of Performing Arts Presenters conference happening just two blocks away.

      UPCOMING EVENTS

      FRI 1.07.05 - Fabian, Bill & Derek
      K-Lounge
      w/The Shakti Spirit Dancers & Vishal Vaid
      30 W 52nd, NYC
      7pm - 4am | FREE [note: special IMN/APAP party open to all]

      SAT 1.15.05 - Fabian, Bill & Derek
      Nublu
      62 Ave. C (4th & 5th St), NYC
      10pm - 4am | $5