Musical whiplash at Joe's Pub, plus lots of djing..

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2004
      Special shoutout to hose of you who read this on the weekend - sorry to send this so late to the rest of you...

      It has been one of those weeks of profound musical experiences, and the kind of stylistic whiplash that only Joe's Pub can provide - from Nancy Sinatra opening with a sublime version of "Bang Bang" and rockin' version of "These Boots..." (with Clem Burke of Blondie holding it down all night on drums), to Tony Joe White's devestating reading of his hit for Brook Benton: "Rainy Night in Georgia", immediately followed by a benefit concert featuring Mos Def, it's one of those weeks where I know why I spend way too much of my free time at the Pub. I'll be back there tonight for one of my favorite singers, Luciana Souza, singing her gorgeous Neruda concert with Ed Simon on piano, followed by indie rocker Juliana Hatfield for yet another stylistic shift. (and speaking of Clem Burke, a certain Blonde singer he regularly drums with is rumored to be coming down to the Pub later in the month to check out an even Blonder Tammy Faye Starlite's tribute to Loretta Lynn, and who knows, maybe she will even be coaxed onto the stage for a few songs....)

      Tomorrow night, Sunday, I'll also be back hanging out at the Pub for the East Village Opera Company, who quickly established themselves as faves this year, with brilliant arrangements that take classic arias that even non-opera fans will recognize from Bugs Bunny and various commercials if nothing else, and approach them with the spirit of prog-rock grandeur, making the dreams of Queen, Yes, Rush, ELP, ELO, and all the other bands whose logos you tried to recreate on the side of your denim looseleaf binder, come true. These are songs about love and lust, murder and betrayal, queens and prostitutes, played with screaming guitars, thundering drums, and a string quartet. What's more rock and roll than that? Sunday's show is part of our ongoing Upper North Side Canadian Music series presented with help from the Canadian Consulate, and if you haven't seen EVillOpCo yet, this is a great chance - they are a band on the rise - see them now and have more fun listening to opera than you ever expected.

      Monday's Jackie Hoffman/Kristine Zbornick holiday show is pretty much sold out, as is the following week, so get tix right away for the last two Mondays of the year so you don't miss it. And speaking of the following Monday, on Dec 13, we just added a show with Angelo Moore, legendary frontman of Fishbone, in his Dr. Madd Vibe persona, with an edgy performance of poetry and music, sax and theremin.

      But back to this week:
      On Tuesday, celebrate the first night of Hanukkah with the powerhouse, all-women band Isle of Klezbos, whose latest album features recordings live from Joe's Pub. Later that night, we'll keep the accordions but go deep to Louisiana's bayous with the world's pre-eminent Cajun band, BeauSoleil, marking their first time at Joe's Pub. Wednesday night, we begin a long-awaited return to our monthly Raul Midon residency. A jawdropping vocalist and guitarist, Raul made his name through monthly gigs at the Pub about a year and a half ago, leading to him being signed by Manhattan/Blue Note records, and his forthcoming album, produced by Arif Marden (Norah Jones, Aretha Franklin) and Joe Mardin (Polygraph Lounge), is just getting finished, and will include special appearances by Stevie Wonder, and Jason Mraz. The show is close to sold out, so don't wait - come see what all the buzz is about and then tell your friends about upcoming shows, including a special appearance he'll make on a bill with Michelle Shocked on January 10. And after Raul, stick around for his labelmate, Keren Ann, who brings her beautifully languid, chanson-inflected folk music, with evocative songwriting and whispery vocals that also reference Suzanne Vega, Nico and Astrud Gilberto. Thursday night, the "philosopher diva" Nora York returns to Joe's Pub with music from her forthcoming album What I Want, which showcases her far-reaching musical vision, keen lyrical insights and genreless approach to originals and carefully chosen and reclaimed covers.

      Other highlights - One Ring Zero bring their lit-rock project to the Pub for the first time, joined by an all-star coterie of high lit writers who contributed lyrics to their album, inlcuding Rick Moody and Jonathan Lethem and many more. Saturday night, another genre-defying artist, guitarist and songwriter Howard Fishman returns to Joe's Pub to blur the boundaries of jazz, blues, indie rock and country in his uniquely celebrated way, followed by a special holiday concert by the lounge lizard extraordinaire, Rene Risque & the Art Lovers. On Sunday, we'll present a concert celebrating the CD release of the score to Dan Moses Schreier and Dan Hurlin's puppet musical theater piece, The Shoulder. I saw The Shoulder close to a decade ago at DTW, and the piece quickly became one of my favorites - it's based on a true story of an elderly farmer who loses his drivers licence so is forced to drive across the state to visit his borther in a drive-in tractor-mower - David Lynch later turned the same story into the film The Straight Story, but The Shoulder always remained my favorite, and I have the pleasue of presenting excerpts from the piece at SummerStage many years back. Lisa and I are both very excited to see the continue to have a life and I encourage you all to come out. And later that night, our very own Kurt Wolf, production manager and sound engineer for Joe's Pub, who has played with such downtown legends as Pussy Galore, Boss Hog and Foetus Inc in his previous incarnation, comes down from his sound booth to our stage to debut his cinematic laptop-noir project Lapis Lazuli.

      Before I stop typing (you call this writing?!?), Also want to tell you about a few dj related events that you shold be aware of:

      Thursday night, Dec 10, Guy Garcia, author of The New Mainstream, a book which has been taking the business press by storm as Garcia explains how new demographic shifts are forcing businesses to adapt to multi-ethnic cultural shifts that affect everything from the way Americans shop, eat, work and entertain themselves. His book includes interviews with me and my fellow GlobeSonics Derek Beres and Fabian Alsultany, and he has invited us to join him on part of a 2-hour segment on WOR radio's Joey Reynolds show, which airs from 1 - 3 am. We'll probably be on about 1:30 -2, and other guests will include the Asia Society's Rachel Cooper, bandleader Bryan Vargas (whose band Ya Esta has just been booked for a gig with gutbucket at Joe's Pub on Jan 6)

      The following night, Friday, Dec 10, GlobeSonic will be part of a great party Desilicious Dance for Our Human Rights produced by Breakthrough for International Human Rights month - joining Dj Ashu Rai, Brazilian Beat Brooklyn's Sean Marquand and Greg Caz, and Stimulus from Real Live Crew for a night of globally conscious tracks. More details at the end of this email. or visit www.globesonic.com Breakthrough is an international human rights organization that uses education and popular culture to promote values of dignity, equality and justice.
      www.breakthrough.tv

      I also encourage you to join me in supporting Kevin Powell's annual holiday party and clothing drive at the Roxy, on December 14 - with Doug E Fresh and DJ Red Alert among others - complete info at the end of this email. Admission is $5 with a clothing donation (new or used coats, hats, scarves, sweaters, gloves, etc.) You MUST rsvp for the holiday party at events@..., and proceeds go to support the Safe Horizons Streetwork Project.

      Also save the date Saturday, December 18, for GlobeSonic's next monthly session at nublu, 62 Ave C, bewteen 4th and 5th, with live set from Wax Poetic. GlobeSonic will also spin during the Arts Presenters conference on Friday, Jan 7 at K-Lounge, midtown. www.globesonic.com

      Speaking of Arts Presenters, I sent the globalFEST press release out earlier this week and the reponse has been incredible. It is selling VERY fast - and with a lineup that includes Antibalas, Juana Molina, Noche Flamenco, Rokia Traore, Mory Kante, Lokua Kanza, Ollabelle, Warsaw Village Band, Paris Combo, Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Eva Allyon, the Yoshida Brothers and DJ Rekha, that should be no suprise. But seriously, DO NOT WAIT - buy your tix right away if you don't want to miss the world music event of the year. It will sell out, and probably soon (though we will try to sell additional tix throughout the night as people leave.) Check www.globalfest-ny.org for more info.

      Lastly, we encourage you to celebrate the end of 2004, and what a year it's been, with NY rock legend Garland Jeffreys & his Coney Island Playboys for a special 8 pm New Years Eve show.

      That's it for now. See ya soon, and, to my Jewish friends, Happy Hanukkah!.

      <http://images.patronmail.com/pmailemailimages/153/17616/header_1.gif>

      JUST ANNOUNCED!
      New Year's Eve at Joe's Pub...
      ...with GARLAND JEFFREYS
      on sale now. click here for tickets! <javascript:ol('http://www.telecharge.com/go.aspx?MD%3d102%26amp;PID%3d2287%26amp;AID%3dVEN000080300');>

      ********Joe's Pub at the Public Theater Schedule of Events********

      Visit our BRAND NEW website at: www.JoesPub.com <javascript:ol('http://www.joespub.com/');>
      425 Lafayette Street bet. East 4th St. & Astor Place.
      Take N train to Broadway & 8th St. or 6 train to Astor Place.
      For information & reservations: 212.539.8778
      or, for Telecharge listed events: 212.239.6200.

      For show descriptions for the upcoming month, and weekly late night events, see below.

      Newly-added shows in black.

      ********************

      Luciana Souza: Celebrating Neruda / Sat, December 4

      Juliana Hatfield / Sat, December 4

      East Village Opera Company [part of Upper North Side Canadian Music series] / Sun, December 5

      Jackie Hoffman & Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 6, 13, 20 & 27 [12/6 SOLD OUT, tix still available for other performances]

      The Luminescent Orchestrii and Choir / Mon, December 6

      Leron's Other Music w/ DJ Nappy G of Turntables on the Hudson & DJ Tesao / Mon, December 6

      Isle of Klezbos: Hanukkah Show / Tues, December 7

      BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet / Tues, December 7

      Raul Midon / Wed, December 8

      Keren Ann / Wed, December 8

      Nora York / Thurs, December 9

      Pheobe Legere: How the Accordian Saved the World / Thurs, December 9

      Lina Koutrakos / Fri, December 10

      One Ring Zero w/ special guests Rick Moody, Jonathan Lethem, (note: Paul Aster cancelled), Syd Straw & many more / Fri, December 10

      Howard Fishman / Sat, December 11

      Rene Risque & The Art Lovers: The Annual Christmas Show and Hanukkah, Too / Sat, December 11

      Dan Moses Schreier and Dan Hurlin: The Shoulder CD Release / Sun, December 12

      Lapis Lazuli feat. Kurt Wolf (of Pussy Galore, Boss Hog, and Foetus Inc.) with special guest Retada / Sun, December 12

      Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 13, 20 & 27

      Angelo Moore (of Fishbone) is Dr. Madd Vibe / Mon, December 13

      The 6th Night of Hanukkah with the Junior Boys / Mon, December 13

      North Star Fund's 25th Anniversary Kickoff feat. William Cepeda and his International Septet / Tues, December 14

      YahZarah / Kameko: Evolutionary Alternative / Tues, December 14

      Jane Siberry w/ special guest Adrienne Pierce / Wed - Fri, December 15 - 17

      Heather Greene / Wed, December 15

      Benefit for Artist/Designer Elisa Jimenez with performances by The World Famous *BOB*, Sharihan, Heather Maybin, Mollie & Henry, and more / Wed, December 15

      Tammy Faye Starlite: Tammy Does Loretta / Thurs, December 16

      BETTY: Snowbiz w/ special guests: Emily Saliers (Indigo Girls) & Jane Siberry [12/17], Gloria Steinem & teen-girl quartet, Kassandra [12/18] & world-renowned classical guitarist Sharon Isbin & Daphne Rubin-Vega [12/19] / Fri - Sun, December 17 - 19

      Mike Errico Holiday Show / Sat, December 18

      Jamie McGonnigal Presents: Miracle on Lafayette
      An Evening to Benefit God's Love We Deliver / Sun, December 19

      Jackie Hoffman & Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 20 & 27

      Imani Uzuri: Winter Solstice Holiday Concert / Mon, December 20

      Easter Rising written by Michael Arden / Tues, December 21

      Heeb Storytelling, hosted by SNL writers Slovin & Allen, stories by Jill Sobule, Peter Hyman, Michael Portnoy, Eric Drysdale, Bex Schwartz, Dana Kletter & Becky Donohue / Wed, December 22

      In The Name of Art: Broadway Divas Sing the Music of Lance Horne: A Benefit Concert for The Actors' Fund's Phyllis Newman Women's Health Initiative / Wed, December 22

      Roy Ayers w/ special guest Anthony David / Thurs, December 23

      Jackie Hoffman & Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mon, December 27

      Jill Sobule / Tues - Thurs, December 28 - 30

      Lloyd Cole / Tues - Thurs, December 28 - 30

      Garland Jeffreys & The Coney Island Playboys: New Year's Eve / Fri, December 31

      Steve Forbert / Sat & Sun, January 1 & 2

      John Tartaglia: AD-LIBerty / Mon, January 3 & 24

      The Chanteuse Club: Maggie Moore, Gail Ann Dorsey, and Kate Pierson (of the B-52's) / Tues, January 4

      Amos Lee / Wed, January 5

      Theo Bleckmann's Weimar Kabarett / Thurs, January 6

      Bryan Vargas & Ya Está / Gutbucket / Thurs, January 6

      Chris Smither / Fri, January 7

      Morley: Days Like These CD Release / Fri, January 7

      globalFEST, feat. Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Eva Ayllon, Juana Molina, Lokua Kanza, Mory Kante, Noche Flamenca, feat. Soledad Barrio & Martin Santangelo, Ollabelle, Paris Combo, Rokia Traore, Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Warsaw Village Band, Yoshida Brothers & DJ Rekha / Sat, January 8

      Antony and the Johnsons / Sun, January 9

      Michelle Shocked w/ special guest Raul Midon / Mon, January 10

      Tamango's Urban Tap / Hop-Fu: Hip-Hop Meets Kung Fu / Mon, January 10

      Quetzal / Tues, January 11

      Sam Harris / Tues, January 11

      The Brian Blade Fellowship / Thur, January 13

      Schiavo / Fri, January 14

      DBR: 24 Bits: Hip-Hop Studies and Etudes, Book I / Collide Quartet / Sat, January 15

      Rez Abbasi / Sat, January 15

      Marlo Marron / Sun, January 16

      Universes / Mon, January 17

      Carolyn Hudson: Living In My Skin CD Release / Mon, January 17

      Katie Melua / Wednesday, January 19

      Lucy Kaplansky / Thursday-Friday, January 20-21

      Jesse Harris and The Ferdinandos / Fri, January 21

      Min Xiao-Fen: The Blue Pipa Trio Celebrates the Year of the Rooster / Sat, January 22

      Polygraph Lounge / Sun, January 23

      Jesse Tyler Ferguson: Sings the Songs of William Finn and Michael John LaChiusa / Mon, January 24

      Antonio Pitingo w/ La Maha & Antonio Agujeta / Tuesdays, January 25 & February 1

      Julian Fleisher & Martha Plimpton: Save it for the Stage / Wed, January 26

      Toshi Reagon & Big Lovely: 20th Anniversary Birthday Concerts / Thurs - Sat, January 27 - 29

      Kristin Hersh w/ special guest tba / Sat & Sun, January 29 & 30

      Over The Top: Songs By Jim Steinman, starring Rob Evan, with Steve Margoshes on piano, Mandy Gonzales, Elain Caswell and more / Sun & Mon, January 30 & 31

      The Amazing Russello Magic Hour / Mon, January 31

      Dancenow/NYC: Dance-mOpolitan / Fridays & Saturdays, February 4 & 5; March 4 & 5; May 6 & 7; June 3 & 4

      Ralph's World / Sun, February 6

      André De Shields: Black by Popular Demand / Mondays, February 7 & 14

      King Wilkie / Thurs, February 17

      Paul Brady / Sat, February 26

      Maria Marquez / Thurs, March 17

      Rhonda Vincent / Jim Lauderdale / Fri, March 18

      Redbird feat. Peter Mulvey, Jeffrey Foucault & Kris Delmhorst / Sun, April 3

      Cary Pierce (of Jackopierce) - solo acoustic / Thurs, April 21
      ----------

      UPCOMING PERFORMANCE DESCRIPTIONS

      Sat, December 4
      LUCIANA SOUZA: Celebrating Neruda
      The exceptional vocalist and composer returns to Joe's with a special one-show-only return engagement of her stunning stunning sold-out show Celebrating Neruda. Souza's latest recording on Sunnyside, Neruda, created in celebration of Pablo Neruda's 100th Birthday, showcases Luciana's setting of 10 poems translated into English, orchestrated for piano, voice and percussion. Her two recent recordings, Brazilian Duos, and North & South, have brought her Grammy nominations in the Best Vocal Jazz Album category. About this project, Billboard said "Souza has pulled it off in splendid fashion, though, blending Neruda's pensive words with themes from Catalan composer Federico Mompou's Songs and Dances. The finished project is notable for its graceful, almost stern minimalism. Instrumentation is limited to Edward Simon's piano and Souza's voice. Souza's vocals are beautifully pliable - fragile one moment, quietly robust the next. "Neruda" is the sublime realization of an inspired artistic vision." www.lucianasouza.com <javascript:ol('http://www.lucianasouza.com/');> 7:30pm, $20 Buy LUCIANA SOUZA tickets now! <javascript:ol('http://www.telecharge.com/go.aspx?MD%3d102%26amp;PID%3d2049%26amp;AID%3dVEN000080300');>

      Sat, December 4
      JULIANA HATFIELD
      Never afraid to wrestle her personal demons into songs, Hatfield has carved out an impressive musical career with her brand of self analysis. From her work with indie darlings the Blake Babies and her critically acclaimed solo albums (beginning with 92's Hey Babe), to last year's Some Girls project, Hatfield has won fans with songs that blend bright, infectious melodies with lyrics drawn from life's chaos and confusion. While her latest album continues to mine that dark yet appealing vein, In Exile Deo also represents a breaking of new ground for the popular and influential singer-songwriter. "...the best album Sheryl Crow never made." -Jon Pareles, New York Times www.julianahatfield.com <javascript:ol('http://www.julianahatfield.com/');> 9:30pm, $15 Buy JULIANA HATFIELD tickets now! <javascript:ol('http://www.telecharge.com/go.aspx?MD%3d102%26amp;PID%3d2165%26amp;AID%3dVEN000080300');>

      Sun, December 5
      EAST VILLAGE OPERA COMPANY
      part of Upper North Side Canadian Music series
      The East Village Opera Company, a 6-piece rock band with a string quartet, takes classic opera arias and updates them with contemporary rock and pop influences. Fronted by Canadian multi-instrumentalist Peter Kiesewalter and one of Canada's hottest young singers, Tyley Ross, this band has successfully brought the MTV and PBS audiences together to see what fans have called an energetic mix of Queen meets Puccini. Returning for another repeat performance at Joe's after 2 sold out shows, come "see the band now while you can still get close." -Time Out New York www.eastvillageoperacompany.com <javascript:ol('http://www.eastvillageoperacompany.com/');> Support provided by the Canadian Consulate General as part of the Upper North Side Canadian Music Series at Joe's Pub. www.uppernorthside.org <javascript:ol('http://www.uppernorthside.org/');> 7 & 9pm, $20 Buy EAST VILLAGE OPERA COMPANY tickets now! <javascript:ol('http://www.telecharge.com/go.aspx?MD%3d102%26amp;PID%3d2005%26amp;AID%3dVEN000080300');>

      Mondays, December 6, 13, 20 & 27
      JACKIE HOFFMAN & KRISTINE ZBORNIK: Together Again for the First Time
      The belting boisterous babes of Broadway and Forbidden Broadway come together to cash in on the holiday season with an unprecedented evening of side splitting ear shattering shtick. Think Carol and Julie in Carnegie Hall at Christmas, without Carol and Julie, Carnegie Hall or Christ. Directed by Michael Schiralli, Musical Director Dave Brunetti. 7:30pm, $25 Buy JACKIE HOFFMAN & KRISTINE ZBORNIK tickets now! <javascript:ol('http://www.telecharge.com/go.aspx?MD%3d102%26amp;PID%3d2033%26amp;AID%3dVEN000080300');>

      Mon, December 6
      THE LUMINESCENT ORCHESTRII AND CHOIR
      Romanian gypsy melodies, punk frenzy, hard rocking klezmer, haunting Balkan harmony, hip-hop beats and Appalachian fiddle all eaten and spit out by three violins, resophonic guitar, bullhorn harmonica, guitarron and 5 Balkan trained singers. The Orchestrii has toured the US, performed old time tunes at the Szcsávás Gypsy Music Festival in Transylvania, Romania and plays many underground parties in NYC. A rare Choir with Orchestrii appearance! Music to make you dance, kiss and scream. 9:30pm, $10 cash at door

      Tues, December 7
      ISLE OF KLEZBOS Hanukkah Show
      Celebrate the first night of Hannukah with this soulful, fun-loving all-female powerhouse klezmer sextet! Fresh from their European debut, Isle of Klezbos brings eclectic influences into Yiddish music, approaching tradition with exuberance, irreverence, and respect. As the Village Voice says, "these women will make you shake your tushies." Featuring Pam Fleming (trumpet/flugelhorn), Terri Conti (accordion), Deborah Karpel (vocals), Debra Kreisberg (clarinet/alto saxophone), Anna Milat-Meyer (upright bass) and Eve Sicular (drums). www.metropolitanklezmer.com <javascript:ol('http://www.metropolitanklezmer.com/');> 7:30pm, $12 Buy ISLE OF KLEZBOS tickets now! <javascript:ol('http://www.telecharge.com/go.aspx?MD%3d102%26amp;PID%3d2004%26amp;AID%3dVEN000080300');>
      <javascript:ol('http://http://www.telecharge.com/go.aspx?MD%3d102%26amp;PID%3d2004AID%3dVEN000080300');>
      Tues, December 7
      BEAUSOLEIL avec MICHAEL DOUCET
      Now in their third decade, BeauSoleil has secured their position as America's Cajun group, famous for their high-spirited live shows. This Grammy winning Lafayette, Louisiana group has preserved the rich Cajun musical traditions of Louisiana, while adding elements of zydeco, New Orleans jazz, Tex-Mex, country, blues and more. A Prairie Home Companion's Garrison Keillor has dubbed them "the best Cajun band in the world". Tonight, they bring songs from their newly released CD Gitane Cajun (Vanguard) as well as beloved favorites. "Few things are as conducive to a party as a BeauSoleil album -- or even better, a BeauSoleil live show." -New Country Magazine 9:30pm, $25 Buy BEAUSOLEIL tickets now! <javascript:ol('http://www.telecharge.com/go.aspx?MD%3d102%26amp;PID%3d1845%26amp;AID%3dVEN000080300');>

      Wed, December 8
      RAUL MIDON
      The buzz is growing into a roar for Raúl Midón, who straddles pop, soul & jazz, with a hair-raising voice and dazzling guitar technique. This blind singer/songwriter was signed to Manhattan Records/EMI in 2004. He then toured the US & Canada with Jason Mraz, accompanied Queen Latifah on the Today Show, and wrote & performed a song in Spike Lee's latest joint. Midón spent the last few months in the studio with producers Arif Mardin & Joe Mardin working on his debut release due out in '05. It features all original material and includes guest performances from the legendary Stevie Wonder and pop troubadour Mraz. "His style is a febrile amalgam of Stevie Wonder vocals, feel-good pop songwriting, sophisticated jazz harmonies and a ferociously aggressive way of playing acoustic guitar." -Washington Post www.midon.com <javascript:ol('http://www.midon.com/');> 7:30pm, $12

      Wed, December 8
      KEREN ANN
      With a whispery, delicate -- almost fragile -- voice that is as soothing, cool and refreshing as ice water on a humid summer day, Paris-based singer-songwriter Keren Ann delivers indelible songs that range from sober to sprightly. After recording two successful CDs in France and co-writing much of legendary French singer Henri Salvador's 2000 hit album Room with a View, Keren Ann made her auspicious U.S. premiere with Not Going Anywhere, a collection of all-English songs released on Blue Note's Metro Blue imprint this fall. "Keren Ann's soft melancholia is powerful in its simplicity and easily evokes Joni Mitchell, Vashti Bunyan, Rickie Lee Jones or even Stina Nordenstam...A giant new talent." -Other Music www.kerenann.com <javascript:ol('http://www.kerenann.com/');> 9:30pm, $15

      Thurs, December 9
      NORA YORK
      Sneak preview of soon-to-be-released CD WHAT I WANT
      York comes to Joe's to sing and give a sneak preview of her new CD. This eagerly awaited disc represents four years of York's songwriting, and expresses the full range of her creative extravagance. What I Want is kaleidoscope new songs which edit and shuffle the musical deck to explore the ever shifting and spinning of the American narrative. "This daring vocalist and conceptualist is able to turn her ruminations into fascinating musical explorations. York is sure to take it to parts un-dreamed of." -New Yorker. York's amazing veteran band will join her for party! www.norayork.com <javascript:ol('http://www.norayork.com/');> 7pm, $20

      Thurs, December 9
      PHOEBE LEGERE: How the Accordian Saved the World
      Composer, multi-instrumentalist and comedienne Phoebe Legere stars in her new show about the first accordion-playing woman president of the United States. She plays piano, accordion, and her newest invention, DJ Video Sneakers. "Phoebe Legere, a name to conjure with...she is an American original, she's fun, she's funny, she's smart. She's a beauty, almost like a Carole Lombard. But the main thing about her is SHE'S GOOD" -Studs Terkel, NPR 9:30pm, $12

      Fri, December 10
      LINA KOUTRAKOS
      Singer/songwriter and definite Diva Koutrakos is the real thing. Her infectious spirit, incredible songwriting ability, one-in-a-million voice and hard rockin' band will stand you up and knock you down all at the same time, as Lina matches her power to the band with her Harley Davidson voice and then effortlessly shifts into the raspy, soft vocals of an experienced woman. With her music rooted in her nomadic upbringing as a Navy brat and her Greek heritage, Lina is an adult artist who has a little bit of all people in her eyes as well as in her voice. Koutrakos sings with amazing spirit, incredible energy, and heart, earning her a MAC Award, The Village Voice's Award for Best Rock Newcomer and France's Petite Piaf Award all for Best Female Vocalist. "Koutrakos burns a song into your consciousness like a vocal laser beam. Her big, sexy smoky voice carries emotional impact and explodes with wild energy." -BackStage www.koutrakos.com <javascript:ol('http://www.koutrakos.comv');> 7:30pm, $20

      Fri, December 10
      ONE RING ZERO w/ special guests Rick Moody, Jonathan Lethem, Jonathan Ames, Darin Strauss, Clay McLeod Chapman, Ben Greenman, AM Homes, Myla Goldberg, Lawrence Krauser, Aaron Naparstek, Olivier Conan, Syd Straw, Hanna Cheek, Frederic Blasco, & Allyssa Lamb (note Paul Auster and Sophie Auster will not be appearing)
      Using odd-ball instruments including claviola, toy piano, theremin, and glockenspiel, One Ring Zero creates a musical landscape that is part cartoon, part Klezmer, and part circus. With this show, One Ring Zero will perform the songs from their latest book / cd "As Smart As We Are" in its entirety, featuring many of the guest musicians and authors who contributed to the project, inlcuding Rick Moody. "[One Ring Zero's] quirky ethnopop could have been played in the background of a Balkan-embassy party in the 1930s. The songs on the band's [book/cd] As Smart As We Are--which features lyrics by literary figures such as Paul Auster, Moody and Margaret Atwood--touch on They Might Be Giants whimsy, Residents-style unease, Tom Waits clank and Marianne Faithfull meloncholy." -Time Out New York www.oneringzero.com <javascript:ol('http://www.oneringzero.com');> 9:30pm, $15

      Sat, December 11
      HOWARD FISHMAN
      Howard Fishman returns with a full band in tow as he continues to map out the musical terrain that has made him a Pub favorite. Mixing elements of country, gospel, jazz, indie rock and pop and filtering them through lyrics that are at once twisted and romantic, Fishman defies easy categorization. The Washington Post calls his music "scintillating...gritty...brilliant." With three acclaimed CDs to his name, Fishman's highly improvisatory live show is on a different level. Come see for yourself! www.howardfishman.com <javascript:ol('http://www.howardfishman.com');> 7:30pm, $12

      Sat, December 11
      RENE RISQUE & THE ART LOVERS: The Annual Christmas Show and Hanukkah, Too
      Sexy and outrageous rock & roll cabaret driven home by a misguided "international pop star, lover" whose provocative lyrics flaunt his lifestyle of extremes and boast of his luxuriously degenerate exploits. Time Mag: "America's Best Lounge Act." NY Times: "High-Gloss Glam." NY Observer: "Hedwig if Hedwig had about eight more angry inches." TrendCentral.com: "Pure, Personal Drama." Nerve: "The last of the famous international playboys." Flaunt Mag: "Like a modern day siren, he will lead you down to your destruction." Liz Smith: "And I thought the spirit of Truman Capote and Tallulah Bankhead was lost to us." NY Press: "Rene Risque and the Art Lovers is a really great band." www.renerisque.com <javascript:ol('http://www.renerisque.com');> 9:30pm, $15

      Sun, December 12
      DAN MOSES SCHREIER and DAN HURLIN: The Shoulder CD Release
      Celebrate Innova Recordings' release of Dan Hurlin and Dan Moses Schreier's music theater piece The Shoulder, called "stunningly virtuosic" by The New York Times. The New Haven Advocate explains "The Shoulder is a multi-disciplined masterpiece with Hurlin's astonishing performance and a sultry continually surprising neo-classical piano based score by Schreier. The Shoulder's main sustaining character is an Iowan farmer who, having lost his eyesight, must find a means to visit his stroke-ridden brother, and chooses to make the 250 mile journey on a "garden tractor" riding lawnmower. The Shoulder is really the most caring, big-hearted, open-minded, celebratory theater work imaginable." http://innova.mu/artist1.asp?skuID=192 <javascript:ol('http://innova.mu/artist1.asp?skuID%3d192');> 7pm, $20

      Sun, December 12
      LAPIS LAZULI feat. Kurt Wolf (of Pussy Galore, Boss Hog, and Foetus Inc.) w/ special guest Retada
      Wolf's Lapis Lazuli is a neo-noir landscape that might have existed in the present day if Mancini, Mingus and Morricone had ruled the world instead of the Beatles. If the blues had a baby and they named it Elmer Bernstein. A planet of apes vs. hippies and beatniks. A lost chapter in the history of prehistoric rock. Moody not morose. Hard-boiled without being bitter. Lapis Lazuli is Antony and the Johnson's nickname for Wolf. Not one to second guess, it was adopted as a brand name for the latest sounds from coming out of his cave-like studio. In '87, Wolf dropped out of art school to join fellow drop-out Jon Spencer's band, Pussy Galore. Saying Pussy Galore failed to put to rest the rotting corpse of 80's rock is like saying Rodney Dangerfield can't get no respect. "I've never heard Jon use the word deconstruct...ever". One hour later, he would also tour and record with John & Christina Martinez in Boss Hog. In '95 He joined Jim Thirwell's Foetus Inc. Kurt will also appear on the new Foetus album due Feb 05. "If you look at rock bands as being democratic in much the same way that the US is still a democracy, then you can say I've been in exile."
      Retada is the work of NYC-based multi instrumentalist/composer Tada. Using a collection of samples ranging from whistles to sounds from computer games you've never heard of, Retada's every bass drum hit attacks your nervous system, and its electric guitar from outer space invades your brain. It will tickle your senses, it will make you shake your body, and the catchy vocal harmonies with the paranoid lyrics will make you think twice. Tada calls it "A fine mix of Justice and Nonsense," and that's something to show up for. Enjoy Retada. 9:30pm, $12

      Mondays, December 13, 20 & 27
      JACKIE HOFFMAN & KRISTINE ZBORNIK: Together Again for the First Time
      see 12/6 for info. 7:30pm, $25 Buy JACKIE HOFFMAN & KRISTINE ZBORNIK tickets now! <javascript:ol('http://www.telecharge.com/go.aspx?MD%3d102%26amp;PID%3d2033%26amp;AID%3dVEN000080300');>

      Mon, December 13
      ANGELO MOORE (of Fishbone) is Dr. Madd Vibe
      The alter-ego of singer and musician Angelo Moore -- lead singer and saxophonist for the often imitated, yet never duplicated, band Fishbone -- Dr. Madd Vibe is here to provide a comprehensive link to a new unseen side of poetry and performance art. Dr. Madd Vibe prescribes a healthy dose of reality along with a quick shot of cynicism. In 1995, Angelo began writing and performing poetry as Dr. Madd Vibe. Based on his experiences growing up as a "fly in the buttermilk" in the predominantly white suburbs of the San Fernando Valley of LA, he addresses a vast array of topics including racism, social corrosion, family matters, and the human condition in a world gone mad. His performance is charged with energy, passion, and honesty. And at times quite hilarious. "With all the over-the-top humor and fervent energy he poured into his role as madman for seminal punk-ska group Fishbone...Saxophone in hand and uncounted rhymes lined up between brain and mouth, he stormed a seemingly unprepared crowd with a stream of rhyme and consciousness that was dazzling to behold...It was the rhythm, the cadence, that held us all spellbound, and Dr. Madd Vibe had more of this working than any slam or spoken word collective I've seen." -Austin Chronicle www.centralelements.com <javascript:ol('http://www.centralelements.com');> 9:30pm, $12

      Mon, December 13
      The 6th Night of Hanukkah with the JUNIOR BOYS
      To coincide with the 6th Night of Hanukkah, Canada's Junior Boys will be making their debut headlining appearance in NYC at Joe's. Hailing from Hamilton, Ontario, Jeremy Greenspan & Matt Didemus will be playing songs from their Domino/Kin debut, Last Exit, as well as previewing new material. The band has been receiving accolades in The New York Times, Spin, Rolling Stone, Uncut, Mojo, Entertainment Weekly and now you can see for yourself why NME called Last Exit one of the year's best albums. "...it's thrillingly obvious that Junior Boys have made one of the year's best albums." (9/10) -NME. "...it's hard to believe there will be a better record than Last Exit released this year." ***** (5 stars) -Uncut. "...its heights eclipse virtually all other music I've heard this year...an album of great warmth, beauty and even soul" -Pitchfork www.juniorboys.net <javascript:ol('www.juniorboys.net');> 11pm, $10 cash at door

      Tues, December 14
      North Star Fund's 25th Anniversary Kickoff feat. WILLIAM CEPEDA & HIS INTERNATIONAL SEPTET
      The North Star Fund is NYC's best kept secret. They are a progressive community foundation founded in '79 by activists who believed in "Change Not Charity." Giving small grants to grassroots activists and organizers fighting for social justice in NYC's low income neighborhoods is the focus of their mission. North Star Fund is named for the abolition newspaper that Frederick Douglass founded in the 1800's. Tonight's 25th anniversary will feature an evening of song and dance with world renowned Afro-Rican musician, William Cepeda. North Star Fund is seeking to raise funds for organizers and activists who have been on the frontline fighting against this administration's anti-democratic, "permanent and flexible war" policies. 7pm, $15

      Tues, December 14
      YAHZARAH / KAMEKO: Evolutionary Alternative
      Sista Factory, in association with 4Sight Media Relations, presents Evolutionary Alternative, a night of R&B, Soul and Funk from two powerhouse vocalists, Kameko & Yahzarah. www.sistafactory.com <javascript:ol('http://www.sistafactory.com');>
      People who have had the pleasure to witness YahZarah live, usually walk away with an adrenaline rush and a tingling feeling running up and down their spines. Her energetic, funky, soulful Tina Turner-esque shows have that type of effect on the nervous system. YahZarah is a soul diva, a funk shaman and everything in-between causing your ears and soul to be inundated with a sound that's part Shirley Caesar and part Sly Stone. Your feet might move in a syncopated church-happy fashion, but your hips do a Funkadelic gyration. YahZarah means "Queen mother is the brightest star," so come out and watch her shine.
      Kameko's 5-octave vocal range cradles a backdrop of live instrumentation that is melodic and distinct, segueing fluidly from one texture to the next. He calls his style of music 'evolutionary alternative,' a blend of R&B, Soul, rock, hip-hop, reggae, drum n' bass and African rhythms inspired by his musical muses - the guitar twist of Hendrix, the falsetto of Jackie Wilson, the vocal dexterity of Whitney Houston, the passion of Al Green, quirkiness of Bjork, and the electric performance of Prince co-mingle in the artistry that is simply Kameko - spirited and uncontained. Signed to Black Kat/Sony's London division, Kameko's debut album, Evalt, is a 14-track journal entry tracking the evolution of a man. www.kameko.net <javascript:ol('http://www.kameko.net');> 9:30pm, $15

      Wed - Fri, December 15 - 17
      JANE SIBERRY w/ special guest Adrienne Pierce
      When she was 16, Siberry traded marbles, make-up and sang harmonies in school washrooms with girlfriends. 13 recordings and 5 Juno nominations later, Siberry has become internationally known for her angelic and filmic music. The Canadian art-pop chanteuse has absorbed classical and operatic inspirations along with pop, jazz and sacred music to create a personal style that spotlights ethereal vocal navigations through eccentric rhythm changes and dramatic mood shifts, ornamented by an abstract, atmospheric sound. Her recent Jane Siberry Anthology offers a wide retrospective of her music and includes the song 'Love Is Everything', recently covered by kd lang on a collection of songs by her favorite writers. www.janesiberry.com <javascript:ol('http://www.janesiberry.com');>
      Singer-songwriter Pierce has emerged as a important new voice in Canada's independent rock scenes. Her album Small Fires, which has drawn comparisons to Mazzy Star and Lou Reed and was produced by Sean Ashby (guitarist for Sarah McLachlan), is a pop gem full of sublime songcraft and intense performances. www.adriennepierce.com <javascript:ol('http://www.adriennepierce.com');> 7pm, $25

      Wed, December 15
      HEATHER GREENE
      Heather Greene is one of New York's up-and-coming songwriters with a growing audience and increasing buzz. She has toured extensively throughout the US, and has finished her genre-blending 14-song CD debut this spring. Working with acclaimed producer Tucker Martine and well-known musicians such as guitarist Bill Frisell, members of the Tosca Quartet (David Byrne), and arranger Steven Barber (Meshell Ndegeocello, Willie Nelson, Shawn Colvin) has put Heather at the top of the list of artists to watch for in '05. Her lush and soulful arrangements bring out the bittersweet notes of everyday life and will leave you reminiscing about the time you thanked your Saturday one-night stand for leaving right on time Sunday morning. "So, you missed hearing Norah Jones in a small club before she made it big? Then don't miss the latest performance by Heather Greene, who could be the next jazz-inflected downtown singer-songwriter to break through. She's already gotten the attention of musicians such as guitarist Bill Frisell, who guests on her CD, 'Five Dollar Dress.'" -New York Post www.fivedollardress.com <javascript:ol('http://www.fivedollardress.com');> 9:30pm, $12

      Thurs, December 16
      TAMMY FAYE STARLITE: Tammy Does Loretta
      Tammy Faye Starlite and the Angels Of Mercy pay tribute to the (original) Coal Miner's Daughter, Loretta Lynn, by performing a selection of her most beloved songs. Pregnancies abound. www.tammyfayestarlite.com <javascript:ol('http://www.tammyfayestarlite.com');> 9:30pm, $15

      Fri - Sun, December 17 - 19
      BETTY: Snowbiz w/ special guests:
      12/17: Emily Saliers (Indigo Girls) & Jane Siberry
      12/18: Gloria Steinem & teen-girl quartet, Kassandra
      12/19: world-renowned classical guitarist Sharon Isbin & Daphne Rubin-Vega (Rent)
      Fresh from creating the theme song for Showtime's hit series "The L Word", legendary New York City pop/rock band BETTY slides headfirst into the holidays and everything's coming up snow! Ringing in the season with their annual Holiday Shows, BETTY's lush vocals and wicked wit will heat up your Hannukah, kick off your Kwanzaa and naughty up your Noel. Each show features Special Musical Guests and songs from the sleigh-groovy brand new EP, Snowbiz. www.bettyrules.com <javascript:ol('http://www.bettyrules.com');> Ho ho ho. 9:30pm, $20

      Sat, December 18
      MIKE ERRICO Holiday Show
      Far from the blushing, sensitive 'singer-songwriter boy' image that seems to clog nightclubs and guitar stores all over the country, New York City's Mike Errico takes a stance that is influenced by punk-folkies like Ani DiFranco and Jeff Buckley, while imbuing it with his own innate sense of Stevie Wonder-era soul music. A highlight of Mike's extensive touring calendar, the Holiday show features the full band, new material, and the 2004-05 Holiday Omens, which predict the futures of audience members with alarming accuracy. "His strong guitar riffs and R&B tinged voice will get your attention and pull you in." -MAXIM www.errico.com <javascript:ol('http://www.errico.com');> 7:30pm, $12 tickets advance/$15 at door

      Sun, December 19
      Jamie McGonnigal Presents: Miracle on Lafayette
      An Evening to Benefit God's Love We Deliver
      A bevy of yuleful Broadway talent shares some of their favorite holiday tunes, old and new. Featuring incredible New York performers including Laura Benanti, Jenn Colella, Max Von Essen, Julia Murney, Christopher Sieber, Natasha Diaz, Anne Runolfsson, and several others. Directed by Jamie McGonnigal with musical direction by Mark Hartman. 7pm, $25

      Mondays, December 20 & 27
      JACKIE HOFFMAN & KRISTINE ZBORNIK: Together Again for the First Time
      see 12/6 for info. 7:30pm, $25 Buy JACKIE HOFFMAN & KRISTINE ZBORNIK tickets now! <javascript:ol('http://www.telecharge.com/go.aspx?MD%3d102%26amp;PID%3d2033%26amp;AID%3dVEN000080300');>

      Mon, December 20
      IMANI UZURI: Winter Solstice Holiday Concert with Strings
      Join Imani Uzuri in a special Winter Solstice Holiday concert featuring a full string section with voice...special guest include guitarist Marvin Sewell, pianist Vijay Iyer, and cornetist Graham Haynes as well as Haale, Morley, and Tama who will join Imani in a special voice and string group piece....come experience the spirit of the season in a "festival" of sound and beauty. "...[Uzuri] never fails to mesmerize audiences with her narcotic blend of...ethereal sounds" -Time Out New York 9:30pm, $15

      Tues, December 21
      Easter Rising written by MICHAEL ARDEN
      Music by Michael Arden, book by Isaac Oliver.
      Easter Rising concerns the last few weeks of a man's life. As his battle with a terminal cancer draws near, he confronts buried relationships with his estranged childhood friend and struggles with the delimna of balancing a love for his wife and this man from his past. Set in Plano, Texas this four-person song cycle questions the limits of love, definition of family and the morals we pass on to our children when our own are in debate. This concert is produced by KBA productions. 7 & 9pm, $25

      Wed, December 22
      HEEB Storytelling
      hosted by SNL writers Slovin & Allen, stories by Jill Sobule, Peter Hyman, Michael Portnoy, Eric Drysdale, Bex Schwartz, Dana Kletter & Becky Donohue
      Heeb Magazine (The New Jew Review) presents Heeb Storytelling: part cabaret, part Catskills, this popular series pushes the very notion of a Jewish story to the brink. Guaranteed to be a fearlessly funny evening of 7-minute stories hosted by Saturday Night Live-writing duo Slovin & Allen and performed by the ever hilarious Jill Sobule, One Ring Zero, Peter Hyman (author of The Reluctant Metrosexual), Michael Portnoy (aka Soybomb, who rushed Bob Dylan during the '98 Grammys), Daily Show writer Eric Drysdale, VH1 Talking Head Bex Schwartz, eclectic musician Dana Kletter, and the spitfire creator of girlcomic.com, Becky Donohue. www.heebmagazine.com <javascript:ol('http://www.heebmagazine.com');> 7pm, $15

      Wed, December 22
      In The Name of Art: Broadway Divas Sing the Music of Lance Horne
      A Benefit Concert for The Actors' Fund's Phyllis Newman Women's Health Initiative
      Catch the latest from this hot young talent currently represented on Broadway as vocal arranger for Little Women. Fresh out of Juilliard, Lance will be at the keys, teamed up with the new wave of Broadway's Leading Ladies at the mic. Featuring lyrics by Horne, Kate Rigg, Mark Campbell, Lorin Latarro, Josh Rhodes and David Zippel. No less than five world premieres from Lance's latest musicals, a Stephen Schwartz-endorsed send-up of Wicked's latest leading lady, George W., and a couple holiday-inspired bonuses -- all to benefit The Actors' Fund's Phyllis Newman Women's Health Initiative, which addresses health issues that impact women in the entertainment industry. Featuring Kathy Brier (Hairspray), Kim Cea (Newsical, Smokey Joe's), Donna Lynn Champlain (Hollywood Arms), Natascia Diaz (Man of La Mancha, Sweet Charity), Christiane Noll (Jekyll & Hyde), Alice Ripley (Side Show, Rocky Horror) and more! Come celebrate Broadway's next generation! 9:30pm, $20

      Sat, January 8
      globalFEST
      globalFEST brings together a remarkable continuous line-up of artists performing 45-minute sets from 7pm 'til...on 3 stages at The Public Theater, including Joe's Pub. Pay one price for an evening-long festival featuring: NYC's powerhouse Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra; the Afro-Peruvian song of Eva Ayllon; Argentina's folktronica chanteuse Juana Molina; the soaring vocals and sweet guitars of French Congolese Lokua Kanza; the first NY show in 14 years of Guinea's legendary Mory Kante; the award winning flamenco of Spain's Noche Flamenca; Ollabelle's reimagined rural American roots music; French cafe and Gypsy swing from Paris Combo; Mali's newest star Rokia Traore; NYC salsa dura masters Spanish Harlem Orchestra; "hardcore folk" from Poland's Warsaw Village Band, Japanese shamisen sensations Yoshida Brothers, and bhangra Bollywood beats from pioneering DJ Rekha. "I've been lucky to have witnessed some very special events, the kind where you just look into the eyes of someone else exiting the building and, without a word being said, there is an agreement - you both know you've just spent an evening you'll remember for the rest of your lives; you've been a participant in an event that others, for years to come, will wish (and claim) they had been part of. globalFest was one such evening." -Global Rhythm
      globalFEST is part of the annual Arts Presenters (APAP) conference, and is a co-production of The Public Theater, World Music Institute and World Music/Crash Arts, Boston. Sponsored by The Cultural Services of the French Embassy to the US w/ additional support from the French Music Export Office and the AFAA. Artists & set times subject to change. www.rockpaperscissors.biz/go/globalFEST | www.frenchculture.org | www.french-music.org 7:30pm, $40

      LATE NIGHT @ joe's pub...Doors at 11pm
      ----------
      Thursday...THE G SPOT
      G Spot Thursdays @ Joe's Pub, a retreat from the ordinary club scene, a place where the sexy, successful and mature come to meet and mingle. The best mix of music by DJ Mary Mack.

      Fridays...Gumbo Fridays
      Dedicated to the mix of the greatest in hip-hop, rock, and 80's being provided by New York's Hottest DJ's combined with a very chic, downtown trendy crowd. The Gumbo party is known for its beautiful array of women and eclectic mix of New York's young celebrities. Six months after its inception this Friday has become a staple in New York City nightlife and has found a new home at Joe's Pub . Door Done Well by Sam Sneed. 11pm, $10-$25 cash at door.

      Saturdays...Lounge presented by Lyricist Lounge
      The Lounge is a new Saturday night weekly party at Joe's Pub created by the founders of the very popular 'Lyricist Lounge'. The Lounge will feature different guest celebrity DJs each week and will rotate several hot NY resident DJs (Madsol, J. Period, G. Brown, Eleven, Southpaw & Rez or DNA) spinning Hip Hop, R&B, Reggae & Soca all catering to young, urban professionals in the New York City area. The concept behind the night is both a high-energy party as well as a place to relax and mingle. The Lounge targets Uptown meets Village chic. 11pm, $10-$15

      Sunday...Soulful Sundays
      Evil Dee Presents...The Demolition Team. A whole host of phenomenal DJs is part of this team of the best in hip hop. Dj's Butta L, Lord Sear, Mr. Walt and the man himself hit the decks spinning everything enjoyable. 11pm, No cover.

      Monday...12/6...Leron's Other Music w/ DJ Nappy G of Turntables on the Hudson & DJ Tesao
      Houston-born trumpeter Leron Thomas first made his mark on the jazz world when still a high school student at Houston's arts magnet school. It was there that he first came to the attention of a number of senior musicians, including Roy Hargrove, who were subsequently to serve as mentors in his development. Leron moved to New York in order to enroll in the New School University's Jazz and Contemporary Music Program and subsequently found work with a number of major vocalists, such as Faith Evans, Erykah Badu and Bilal, while simultaneously making serious inroads in the traditional jazz idiom through performances with major figures such as Roy Hargrove, Billy Harper and others. Leron Thomas presents "Other Music" featuring 9 musicians on stage: Leron Thomas (trumpet), Robert Glasper (piano), Marcus Strickland (reeds), Josh Mease, Rogiers, Lisa Harris (vocals), Joe Sanders (bass), Jamire Williams (drums), Lage Lund (guitar), plus special guest vocalist Gretchen Parlato winner of this year's Thelonius Monk Jazz Vocal Competition. 11pm, $10 cash at door.

      Tuesday...ER (Eclectic Ride)
      KYA Entertainment presents The Eclectic Ride- hosted by BELINDA BECKER and FORREST. A night of great music from NYC's best DJs (ie DJ Cosi, Belinda, DJ Herbert, and DJ Reborn) and soul samples from the world's most eclectic mix of artists (ie Bilal, Meshell N'Degeocello, Alia Marie, Dead Prez, Goapele, Martin Luther, Wunmi, Anthony Hamilton, and more). Come experience another level of partying. For more information or reduced list email. kya@....

      Wednesday...12/8...Joint Ventures produced by Language Arts & Rocky Presents
      Joint Ventures: Where artists collaborate. Is produced by Language Arts and Rocky Presents. The concept is to bring together talented artist for live collaborations. These performances will give the audience a chance to see some of the best hip hop artists, poets, & singers performing together, most for the first time. The artist will perform new material as well some their classics with live musicians and some of hip hop's best DJ's and producers. The first event includes collaborations by Mr. Complex with Mr. Live featuring DJ Mr. Len, Wordsworth with WiseGuy as well as Punchline with Gaston feat: the All That! Band. Plus a surprise collaboration to close out the show. www.rockypresents.com <javascript:ol('http://www.rockypresents.com');> 11pm, $12 cash at door

      **********
      Get a free ticket to Joe's Pub!
      www.publictheater.org/member_renew.cfm <javascript:ol('http://www.publictheater.org/member_renew.cfm');>

      GIVE THE GIFT OF THEATER AND WE'LL INCLUDE A SPECIAL GIFT OF OUR OWN!

      This season, treat yourself, your family and your friends to the gift of innovation, excitement and entertainment... PURCHASE A 3 OR 4-PLAY PACKAGE TO THE PUBLIC THEATER'S SPRING SEASON AND RECEIVE A FREE TICKET TO NEW YORK'S PREMIERE LIVE MUSIC AND PERFORMANCE SHOWCASE, JOE'S PUB*.

      Do you want more information about the Spring Season? Do You Want to Give The Gift of Theater? Call 212.260.2400 or visit www.publictheater.org <javascript:ol('http://www.publictheater.org');> (phone hours: Sun-Mon 1-6pm, Tues-Sat 1-7:30pm)

      * - one free ticket to Joe's Pub per 3 or 4-Play Membership. Available for select performances and subject to availability. See www.publictheater.org for details and restrictions.

      <javascript:ol('http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/ct?id%3d-115%2b46142836%2b24%2b1%2b17616');>

      Click here to purchase tickets to Joe's Pub events now!

      This e-mail has been created using PatronMail...the innovative e-marketing tool for the arts. <javascript:ol('http://www.patrontechnology.com/contact.cfm?org%3djoes');>

      To forward this e-mail to a friend or colleague, use this link <javascript:ol('http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/raf?ide%3dARJ5fmq9SP5BAX5MFflW3mlXjwGx');> .

      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/Impression?eide=ARJ5fmq9SP5BAX5MFflW3mlXjwGx>
      "If you can't dance, you can't join the revolution." (with apologies to Emma Goldman)

      Bummed out by the election? Come dance your blues away by celebrating America’s rich tradition of resistance.

      Commemorate the legacy of Martin Luther King, Emma Goldman, Harvey Milk and Cesar Chavez .
      Come celebrate human rights in the United States and dance to brazilian, bhangra, arab latin, hip-hop,
      african and bollywood beats.

      Sholay Productions and Breakthrough present

      Desilicious Dance for Our Human Rights

      Upstairs: GlobeSonic DJs Acidophilus and Fabian Alsultany spin 21st Century World Music and
      Stimulus (Real Live Show) spins hip-hop and more
      DJs Greg Caz and Sean Marquand (Brazilian Beat Brooklyn) spin samba-soul and samba-funk

      Downstairs:

      Acidophilus spins whatever he wants - world, hip hop, suol and new wave;

      Ashu Rai spins a mix of Bollywood/Bhangra/House/80s

      Friday, December 10th - Human Rights Day 10:00pm – 4:00am

      Pepper 95 Leonard Street in Tribeca (Broadway and Leonard)

      A/C/E to Canal Street 1/9 to Franklin Street, N/R to Canal Street

      $10 before midnight $15 after Midnight

      Part of the proceeds to benefit Breakthrough’s ongoing campaigns for immigrant and women’s rights.

      Breakthrough is an international human rights organization that uses education
      and popular culture to promote values of dignity, equality and justice.
      www.breakthrough.tv

      www.sholayevents.com 212-713-5111

      Co-Sponsors: International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, Equality Now, Salaam Theatre, North Star Fund, New York Asian Women’s Center, Amnesty International USA Women’s Human Rights Program, The Funding Exchange, Potohar Organization for Development Advocacy (list in formation)

      THE FRETT KNOTT GROUP, INC.
      presents

      THE event of New York City's holiday season on TUESDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2004

      Kevin Powell's 4th ANNUAL holiday party AND clothing drive

      at ROXY
      515 West 18th Street
      between 10th and 11th Avenues
      NEW YORK CITY
      Doors open at 7PM, performances begin at 9PM

      featuring the host for the evening AND the world's greatest entertainer
      DOUG E FRESH

      with the musical meltdown brewed by hiphop pioneer and legendary deejay
      DJ RED ALERT of Power 105.1 radio

      with a special performance by the supertalented new vocalist
      SHANNONE HOLT and the 21ST CENTURY BAND

      Admission is $5 WITH a clothing donation (new or used coats, hats, scarves, sweaters, gloves, etc.)

      you MUST rsvp for the holiday party at events@...

      CASH BAR ALL NIGHT
      Holiday giftbags will be distributed to the first 1500 attendees

      Celebrities, tastemakers, industry insiders, trendsetters, the media, hiphop heads,
      and YOU will be in the house....

      All donations and all monies collected to benefit the SAFE HORIZON STREETWORK PROJECT, a young people's homeless shelter program in New York City

      FYI, the contact person is INES ROBLEDO at 212-563-9648, and its administrative offices are at
      545 8th Avenue, 22nd fl., New York, New York 10018
      www.safehorizon.org/page.php?page=homelessyouth

      ALL MEDIA INQUIRIES...April Silver, Akila Worksongs, 718-756-8501 or aworksong@...

      Sponsors (partial list)

      TRACE magazine
      Power 105.1 radio
      Universal Music Group
      The Colored Orphans Productions, LLC

      Promotional support provided by BLACK DIAMONDS SIGNATURE GROUP

      Event Host Committee Members (in alphabetical order)

      Silver and Tracy Alexander Regan Almonor Art Start Jackie O. Asare Dr. Catrise Austin Radcliffe Bailey asha bandele Ras Baraka Darwin Beauvais
      Jasmine Bellamy Bill Bragin Tanya L. Brown Anita Bryant Aaron Burrison Rich Burroughs Carol Burton Lea Byrd Gordon Chambers

      Anouska Cheddie Farai Chideya Rosa Clemente Michael Cohen Amy Costantino Chuck D Davey D Ahngelique Davis Eisa Davis
      Michaela Angela Davis Raoul A. Davis Délé Rev. Marcia Dyson Dr. Michael Eric Dyson Kamilah Forbes Lisa and Barry Ford
      Bobbito Garcia Ed Gordon Deborah Gregory Dason Hamer Erika Hamilton Loren Harris Shanqua Harrison Kendra Hatcher Cecil Henry
      Sara Hill Danny Hoch Chris Jackson Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. Lolita Jackson Jeff Johnson Kenny Johnson Kellie Jones
      Lisa Jones Allan Katatumba Charles and Susan Knight Rachel Knight Kimberly Knox Kwik Step Mark Levine Danielle Lewis
      Ben Lyons Laini N. Madhubuti Gail Maynor Zachary McDaniels Kevin McGruder L. Londell McMillan DJ Rich Medina Dean Meminger
      Fabian Fletcher Milburn Rev. Clinton Miller Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid Jessica Care Moore Joan Morgan
      Bruce Morrow The National Urban League Chris Owens Millard "Mitty" Owens State Senator Kevin Parker Joe Patane Marcia Pendelton
      Tonya Pendleton Willie Perdomo The Persaud Brothers Pam Pickens Gwendolyn Quinn Jacque Reid Renaldo Arva Rice Eisa Ulen Richardson
      The Riverside Church Rokafella Alec Ross Baraka Sele Diallo Shabazz Jamel Shabazz Rev. Al Sharpton April Silver Robert A. Smith
      Taigi Smith Alvin Starks Gloria Steinem Tracy Sturdivant Jasmine Sykes Elinor Tatum Susan Taylor Aaron Thomas Etan Thomas
      Lupe Todd Rev. John Vaughn John-Wesley Walker Patricia Wang Diane Weathers Troy White Emil Wilbekin George Williams
      L. Joy Williams Terrie Williams Dr. Deborah Willis Arthur Wylie