joe's pub upcoming events...

    Message 1 of 68 , Nov 4 3:34 PM
          "I will sing to those who will listen.  It is important to talk to the convinced.  I am often asked if when Sweet Honey sings, "Aren't you singing to yourself?"  The progressive community of this country is one of the most fragile in the world.  We suffer from illusions of being in greater shape than we are because we think it follows that if we are Americans, we must be great!  We are in great need of understanding our vulnerability, our need for validation, maintenance, nurturing and celebration.  We need to learn how to be longtimers and not forever be limited by operating ahistorically and responding to crisis after crisis..."
          "...It is important to gather together to nurture and feed as a community committed to being a presence in a society beyond our own meager lives.  When moving in new territories as an organizer I use the model I learned in the Black church and as a field secretary for SNCC.  First, there is a home base; there is a place that you can go back to for shelter, rest, and re-orientation.  It is from there that you move into the world offering your message and work sometimes to people who will throw rocks at you, throw you in jail, or slam doors in your face.  Facing the work of this intensity, we do not have to apologize for needing to return to home base.  There must be a strategy for going out, organizing, speaking and raising issues and then coming into yourself and your community for a check-in.  It is important to have a safety zone to refuel where you can eat your dinner with others who will understand and will protect your need to be vulnerable."
          - Dr. Bernice Johnson Reagon (Sweet Honey in the Rock) from her Foreword "Nurturing Resistance" to Reimagining America: The Arts of Social Change

      I just came back from the WOMEX conference in Germany, where I was completely energized by being party of an international community of people who were celebrating the diverse cultural contributions of people who draw from their local roots and send them out to the world.  To a person, every conversation that came up with a non-American pleaded for the US to do the right thing with this election.  It's shocking that Americans are so out of touch from world opinion, (or worse, that they are in touch with it and simply don't care) that they (re)-elected this administration.  I try to console myself with the knowledge that the Northeast of the US, which I call my home, rejected Bush soundly, and in Manhattan and the Bronx, Bush received less than 17% of the vote. I also console myself with the knowledge that over 600 of you came out to see Tinariwen, a Tuareg guitar band, maybe just to shut me up and stop nagging, but also because we have a curiosity and openness to different cultural expressions.  Thanks to all the incredible media support and friends who spread the word on this one.  it was an amazing send-off, and reaffirms why I do what I do.  While I am profoundly disappointed with my country, I am proud of my community.  In these days and years ahead, we must continue to return to our "home base" to be refueled and energized by the creative spirits which surround us, so that we can continue to fight against the oppressive regime that is causing so much damage to our country and to the world.

      So, in the spirit of returning to home base and refueling, we are thrilled to have Dr. Reagon's daughter, Toshi Reagon, a warrior herself, performing for two shows on Saturday night.  Toshi led the orchestra for the recent production of her mother's collaboration with Robert Wilson, The Temptation of St. Anthony at BAM, featuring lots of Joe's Pub faves including Carl Hancock Rux and Helga Davis, and we all know how incendiary and celebratory Toshi's concerts can be.  Come expecting to be refueled, and reenergized with a spirit of love and righteous anger.  And don't be surprised if it's a family affair at the early set.

      A few other notes, and I want to hit send, cause I know you all missed getting this last week while I was away.  It's more important than ever to keep an international perspective, so we don't get too myopic these days, so I am going to particularly mention some shows that take a global perspective.  Before I go there, let me steer you to the newly renovated Joe's Pub website - now with searchability by artist, date, genre, keyword - lots easier to find what you are looking for and buy tix, and we got some photos and press quotes - all kinds of goodies.  It's still a work in progress, and the email blast is next on the hit list, so look forward to getting your feedback. visist www.publictheater.org .

      Brazilian Music!  Unfortunately, tomorrow night's show with Monica Salmaso, which was on track to selling out, had to be cancelled due to illness.  We are looking for someone to play tomorrow night at 9:30, but no one confirmed yet. We'll try to get her back next time she comes to the US.

      We have added a few great Brazilian shows - Rob Curto, accordionist formerly of Forro in the Dark, has a great new forro band, and will be joined by several exponents of Nordestino styles, including Scott Kettner of Maracatu NY and Nation Beat and Jorge Martins of Cascabulho - expect a hardcore Brazilian dance party of baiao, coco and maracatu rhythms on Monday, November 15. On Sunday, November 21, the incredible Brazilian soul singer Ed Motta will perform two shows - he's a star in Brazil, and a concert I produced at Central Park SummerStage, where he opened for one of his idols, Roy Ayers, and ended up collaborating on about 4 songs, goes down as one of the favorite shows I've worked on.  He's an amazing talent, and if you know a Brazilian music or rare groove/soul fan, just ask them - this one is essential.  Finally, on Nov 24, the Brazilian indie-pop duo Mosquitoes finally make their way to Joe's Pub.  We've been trying to get them here for a while, and are thrilled it's finally happening.

      Mexico Now!  Joe's Pub is proud to be a part of Arts International's citywide celebration of contemporary Mexican performing and visual arts, and for our part, we have some of the finest in Mexican alternative and electronic music.  On Monday, November 15, Monterrey's Plastilina Mosh make a rare NYC appearance, bringing a sound that has been described as "the Beastie Boys meets Beck meets Cafe Tacuba".  They will do two shows at 9:30 and 11:30 . The following Monday, we present the NY debut of two groups from Guadalajara's Nopal Beat movement - Sweet Electra and God is My Name - Nopal Beat is to Guadalajara what Nortec is to Tijuana, with a bit more of a downtempo and deep house flavor.  And just added, one of our favorites, Ely Guerra, who celebrates her new record Sweet and Sour, Hot y Spicy .  Ely's previous solo shows at Joe's Pub have been magical, and we look forward to finally seeing her here with the full band.  Special thanks to Arts International, KCRW radio and La Banda Elastica for their support.

      Roots reggae!  We don't have a chance to present live reggae as much as we'd want, and are thrilled to have one of roots reggae's finest exponents - Morgan Heritage, in a special intimate show celebrating their newest album - their gospel inflected harmonies, and conscious messages are positive and uplifting.  Tickets are close to sold out, so don't wait.  Next Wednesday, Sally Timms, of the Mekons fame, brings her countrified solo project along with Johnny Dowd, followed by the Irish pub rocker Joe Hurley with his all-star band the Gents :James Mastro (Ian Hunter, John Cale), Tony Shanahan (Patti Smith), Kenny Margolis (Cracker).  And Saturday, Nov 13, Pharaoh's Daughter brings you on a pan-Mediterranean journey.

      And speaking of global journeys, I had the great pleasure of spinning in two European countries last week - Fabian and I brought the GlobeSonic party to Essen's Salsoteca last Wednesday, as an unofficial kick-off to WOMEX, and it was a great place to gather all our friends together before the conference kicked into full gear, and show off our new visuals from Casey Meade of Projectile Arts.  Special thanks to Christine, Alexander and Jan of WOMEX for helping set it up.  I also stopped through London on my way back, and at the last minute, Jonathan Walton of Oi Va Voi invited me down to spin with him at a great party, Costa Urbana at the Notting Hill Arts Club - great room, great crowd, great vibe, and felt frightfully like our home at nublu.  It was a terrific way to unwind from the conference craziness, and inspired by the rocking last day set by Mahala Rai Banda, I focused on Gypsy brass bands, and horn-drenched banda/cumbia/reggaeton jams, and I was very happy to see our good friends Susheela Raman and Sam Mills stop by to say hey.

      Speaking of nublu, GlobeSonic will be back for the next in our monthly residency at Nublu on Saturday, November 13, and you can be sure I'll be dropping a bunch of new tracks I picked up last weekend - just going through the dozens of Cd's I picked up and already discovered some gems to share.  And we'll also have a special live set by Real Live Show, in a special birthday set. Real Live, who will be at Joe's Pub on November 30, bring a high energy show with two dope MC's Stimulus and Dionysus, backed by some of the funkiest instrumentalists on the NY scene. They've got a new CD Class Is In Session, released on Studio Distribution, now available at fine stores nationwide and online at www.studiodistribution.com/artist.php?id=67222   We look forward to seeing what sparks fly when we bring our two crowds together.

      GlobeSonic
      Resident DJ's: Acidophilus and Derek Beres (and Fabian Alsultany in absentia this month)
      Live set from Real Live Show
      Saturday, November 13
      10 pm - close
      $5, free with email
      nublu
      62 ave c (between 4th and 5th Streets)
      NYC - a blue city in a blue state

      Lastly, those of you who get my e-blasts regularly know what I think of the brilliant songwriter Stew, who has made himself an artistic home at The Public Theater.  Not only do we present him in Joe's Pub and at the Joe's Pub in the Park at the Delacorte, but we have also commissioned a theater piece, which he is currently developing.  Stew spent a few weeks this summer at the Sundance Theater Lab, where we was the hit of Park City, and he's coming back to NY in week, to my old stomping grounds at Symphony SpaceStew will be bringing his entire 8 piece band to New York for the first time, playing songs never before performed in New York. Selections will be played from all of his 8 albums (including The Negro Problem!). A must see show for old-school fans and new ones alike. Musical co-direction by Heidi Rodewald. Two completely different shows: 7:30 and 9:30. Buy tix to both and receive a free drink!

      Tickets: $21; Seniors, Students: $18
      Venue: Leonard Nimoy Thalia; 95th street and Broadway

      Tix: http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=411&pid=5380672

      And Symphony Space has offered a special deal to people on my list: Buy a full-price ticket to one show and mention discount code TMUSTEW and receive a $10 ticket to the second show!

      Stew is an amazing writer and performer, and his music is filled with humor, anger, pain, joy and insight.  These shows should be very special.  Hope to see you there.

      All the best,

      Bill Bragin
      Director of Joe's Pub
      The Public Theater
      425 Lafayette Street
      New York, NY  10003

      t/ 212.539.8512
      f/ 212.539.8505
      e/ bbragin@...
      www.joespub.com

      "This will be our reply to violence:
      to make music more intensely,
      more beautifully,
      more devotedly than ever before."

      Leonard Bernstein

      YOUR LAST CHANCE TO SEE LIES, CORRUPTION AND THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!
      DIRTY TRICKS
      By John Jeter, directed by Margaret Whitton, with Judith Ivey
      BOOK YOUR TICKETS TODAY! MUST CLOSE ON SUNDAY! Full info at bottom of email.
      .
      Joe's Pub Schedule of Events

      *********************Joe's Pub Schedule of Events*********************
      Visit our website at: www.JoesPub.com
      Location: 425 Lafayette Street between East 4th St. & Astor Place.
      Take N train to Broadway & 8th St. or 6 train to Astor Place.
      For information & reservations please call 212.539.8778
      or, for Telecharge listed events call 212.239.6200.

      For show descriptions for the upcoming month, and weekly late night events, see below.

      *** = newly-added show
      -----
      ASLYN / Thurs, November 4 [SOLD OUT]

      E.S.T. / Thurs, November 4

      Monica Salmaso / Fri, November 5

      Isaac Mizrahi / Fridays, November 5 & 12

      Toshi Reagon & Big Lovely / Sat, November 6

      Susan Egan in Concert: BroadwayWorld's Front and Center Series / Sun, November 7

      Cause Celeb! How To: Advice From The Stars! with special guests Charles Busch and Michael Musto / Sun, November 7

      Cerveris / Uncle Moon / Mon, November 8

      The Petersons / Mon, November 8

      Blood of Haiti/New World Movement Benefit for Relief Victims of Haiti / Mon, November 8

      Morgan Heritage: Full Circle CD Release / Tues, November 9

      Ihsan / Heston / Tues, November 9

      Sally Timms / Johnny Dowd / Wed, November 10

      Joe Hurley / Wed, November 10

      URB Magazine Private Party feat. Medusa, Airborne Audio, Jean Grae, DJ Kool Marv / Wed, November 10

      Vienna Teng w/ special guests Tammany Hall NYC (6:30pm) & Beth Wood (9pm) / Thurs, November 11

      Isaac Mizrahi / Fri, November 12

      Eric Andersen/ Fri, November 12

      Adam Pascal: Civilian CD Release / Sat, November 13 [SOLD OUT - 2nd show added 11/27]

      Pharaoh's Daughter / Sat, November 13

      The Peace Within Concert feat. Dorothy Scott, Sloan Wainwright, Julie Gold, Corky Siegel & Jean Feraca / Sun, November 14

      Katie Elevitch w/ special guest Jeff Brodnax / Sat, November 14

      Rob Curto's Forró Party Band: Musica Do Nordeste w/ guests Scott Kettner (Maracatu NY) & Jorge Martins (Cascabulho) / Mon, November 15

      KCRW.COM Presents:
      Plastilina Mosh (part of the Mexico Now Festival) / Mon, November 15

      The Just for Laughs Experience 2004 feat. Ted Alexandro, Bill Burr, Joey Elias, The Doo-Wops, hosted by Brent Butt / Tues, November 16

      Hot Karl: Before I Get Famous / Tues, November 16

      Glen Phillips with special guest Kyle Riabko / Wed, November 17

      ***Lord Have Mercy album release party feat. Pumpkinhead, Wordsworth, Punch and DJ J. Period / Wed, November 17

      Ian McLagan (of Small Faces) & The Bump Band / Thurs, November 18

      Kelly Joe Phelps / Thurs, November 18

      Richard Shindell with special guest Eliza Gilkyson / Fri and Sat, November 19-20

      Marion LoGuidice / Fri, November 19

      Odetta / Sat, November 20

      Ed Motta / Sun, November 21

      Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, November 22 & 29, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

      Sweet Electra and God is My Name (part of Mexico Now festival) / Mon, November 22

      Rich Price / Tues, November 23

      The Shorebirds / Tues, November 23

      Marta Topferova / Marta Gomez / Wed, November 24

      Mosquitos / Wed, November 24

      ***Francis Dunnery and David Sancious / Sat, November 26

      Brian Vander Ark / Fri, November 26

      Adam Pascal: Civilian / Sat, November 27

      Res / Sat, November 27

      Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, November 29, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

      ***Ely Guerra [part of the Mexico Now Festival] / Sun, November 28

      Edison Woods / Sarah Slean / Tues, November 30

      The Real Live Show / Tues, November 30

      Nancy Sinatra / Wed, December 1

      Fleurine feat. Jesse van Ruller & special guest Brad Mehldau: Fire CD Release / Thurs, December 2

      Tony Joe White / Thurs, December 2

      Luciana Souza: Celebrating Neruda / Sat, December 4

      Juliana Hatfield / Sat, December 4

      Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

      The Luminescent Orchestrii and Choir / Mon, December 6

      Isle of Klezbos / Tues, December 7

      BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet / Tues, December 7

      Raul Midon / Wed, December 8

      Keren Ann / Wed, December 8

      Nora York / Thurs, December 9

      ***Pheobe Legere: How the Accordian Saved the World / Thurs, December 9

      Lina Koutrakos / Fri, December 10

      One Ring Zero w/ special guests Rick Moody, Jonathan Ames, AM Homes & more / Fri, December 10

      Howard Fishman / Sat, December 11

      Rene Risque & The Art Lovers: The Annual Christmas Show and Hanukkah, Too / Sat, December 11

      Dan Moses Schreier and Dan Hurlin: The Shoulder CD Release / Sun, December 12

      ***Lapis Lazuli feat. Kurt Wolf (of Pussy Galore, Boss Hog, and Foetus Inc.) with special guest Retada / Sun, December 12

      Heather Greene / Mon, December 13

      Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 13, 20 & 27

      ***North Star Fund's 25th Anniversary Kickoff feat. William Cepeda and his International Septet / Tues, December 14

      YahZarah / Kameko: Evolutionary Alternative / Tues, December 14

      Jane Siberry w/ special guest Adrienne Pierce / Wed - Fri, December 15 - 17

      Tammy Faye Starlite: Tammy Does Loretta / Thurs, December 16

      BETTY: Snowbiz / Fri - Sun, December 17 - 19

      Mike Errico Holiday Show / Sat, December 18

      ***Jamie McGonnigal Presents: Miracle on Lafayette
      An Evening to Benefit God's Love We Deliver / Sun, December 19

      Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 20 & 27

      Imani Uzuri: Winter Solstice Holiday Concert / Mon, December 20

      Easter Rising written by Michael Arden / Tues, December 21

      Heeb Storytelling with Todd Barry, Jill Sobule and more / Wed, December 22

      Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mon, December 27

      ***Steve Forbert / Sat & Sun, January 1 & 2

      ***Chris Smither / Fri, January 7

      globalFEST, feat. Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Eva Ayllon, Juana Molina, Lokua Kanza, Mory Kante, Noche Flamenca, feat. Soledad Barrio & Martin Santangelo, Ollabelle, Paris Combo, Rokia Traore, Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Warsaw Village Band, Yoshida Brothers & DJ Rekha / Sat, January 8

      Antony and the Johnsons / Sun, January 9

      Marlo Marron / Sun, January 16

      Carolyn Hudson: Living In My Skin CD Release / Mon, January 17

      Katie Melua / Wednesday, January 19

      Lucy Kaplansky / Thursday-Friday, January 20-21

      Min Xiao-Fen: The Blue Pipa Trio Celebrates the Year of the Rooster / Sat, January 22

      ***Ralph's World / Sun, February 6

      ***Rhonda Vincent / Jim Lauderdale / Fri, March 18
      ----------

      UPCOMING PERFORMANCE DESCRIPTIONS
      Thurs, November 4
      ASLYN
      7pm, SOLD OUT

      Thurs, November 4
      E.S.T.
      E.S.T. (the Esbjörn Svensson Trio) is phenomenal, acclaimed by Downbeat as "one of the hottest jazz acts in Europe today." A jazz trio, which sees itself as a pop band that plays jazz, E.S.T. breaks with the tradition of leader and sidemen in favor of equality within its members. Playing rock venues as well as the usual jazz clubs, in their native Sweden their music can be found in the pop-charts and their videos playing on MTV Scandinavia. Openness, curiosity, and a little bit of chance are all a part of pianist Esbjörn Svensson's artistic foundation. With their unique soundscape, combining jazz with drum 'n' bass, electronic elements, funk, and pop and rock as well as European Classical music, E.S.T.'s audience spans from the classic jazz-fans to the youngest Hip Hop fans. The 2002 release "Strange Place for Snow" has broken all records as far as awards are concerned: The German Jazz Award, the German Critics Award for "Best Jazz Album of the Year", the Guiness Jazz in Europe Award, the Choc l'annee by the French Jazzman magazine, and the Victoire de la Musique (French Grammy) in the category "Best International Act" proving that this band is "the trio of the decade" (London Times). Their latest album Seven Days of Falling is proving to be another sensation. "Toeing a surprisingly fine line between acoustic-jazz accessibility and electronic-music ingenuity, E.S.T. is a forward-thinking Swedish trio that adds subtle, dark ambient texture (and then some) to the traditional piano-trio format...well-constructed tunes with catchy, often-lilting melodies...they bring in some simple folk music balladry, add some classical music complexity, and even touch on the creeping influence of electro rock à la Radiohead." -Amazon www.hopper-management.com 9:30pm, $15 advance/$20 at door

      Fridays, November 5 & 12
      ISAAC MIZRAHI
      "Isaac is a fabulous singer and a consummate musician." -Mrs. Sarah Mizrahi.
      Following the success of his recent appearances at Joe's Pub, featured on his show on Oxygen TV, fashion designer and TV personality Isaac Mizrahi sings his head off for four special fall shows. Featuring jazz pianist and rising star Ben Waltzer and his quintet, it's not something you can afford to miss. www.target.com 7:30pm, $20

      Fri, November 5
      MONICA SALMASO
      With beauty and rapport as her primary criteria, Monica Salmaso, the lyric soul of Brazil, demonstrates that she is an artist who not only strives to reach the audience, to move it emotionally, but who also does so with only the finest material. Part of what sets Salmaso apart is her canny choice of material, with an emphasis on ballads that showcase her "gorgeous, quintessentially Brazilian voice." -New York Times. She draws her repertoire from many of Brazil's greatest songwriters, such as Dorival Caymmi, Chico Buarque, Djavan, Ary Barroso, though some of her most effective pieces are folk songs that she renders timeless. At a time when many Brazilian music lovers are worried about the rise of throw away pop music dominating the radio, Salmaso shows that there's still plenty of room on the airwaves for beauty. "Her voice is a fluent and beautifully colored instrument." -Billboard www.monicasalmaso.mus.br 9:30pm, $20

      Sat, November 6
      TOSHI REAGON & BIG LOVELY
      Singer Toshi Reagon calls to mind classic R&B artists, like Stevie Wonder or Prince, and old school rock groups like Led Zeppelin; she can take any style, update it, and make it her own with incredible ease. Despite (or because of) her genre-bending, Toshi fits comfortably on a stage with any of the Lilith artists, at Carnegie Hall, in a dirty rock club or in a hip, downtown boite. Of her innovative rock crossed with soul-influenced, blues-tinged folk, Interview magazine raved, "Anyone who thinks rock is a dead medium need only listen to the music of Toshi Reagon and her almighty band Big Lovely." Most people would just tell you that to truly understand how Toshi can seamlessly transcend all of these genres, you have to check her out live. "Oh, that voice ...devotees know they've born witness to one of the great voices of this generation." -Village Voice www.toshireagon.com 7:30 & 9:30pm, $20

      Sun, November 7
      SUSAN EGAN in Concert: BroadwayWorld's Front and Center Series
      7pm, SOLD OUT

      Sun, November 7
      Cause Celeb! How To: Advice From The Stars! with special guests CHARLES BUSCH and MICHAEL MUSTO
      CAUSE CELEB! is a cult downtown hit alternative cabaret series that features interpretive readings of celebrity autobiographies. Created by Nancy Balbirer and Charlotte Booker, each themed evening draws from the most sensational (and often salacious) passages of starry tomes, to
      hilariously dramatic effect. November 7th's theme is HOW TO: ADVICE FROM THE STARS! and includes sage tidbits from some of Hollywood's Greats, Near-Greats and Not-So-Greats. Learn how to have the perfect bowel movement from Marilu Henner! Jot down diet tips from Liz Taylor! Impress friends with Tommy Lee's rules for pleasuring a woman and much, much more! Come see the show Next Magazine proclaimed "Easily the most fabulous 'must-see' of New York nightlife!" With seven performers including Ms. Balbirer and Ms. Booker, and special guest stars Charles Busch (as Arlene Dahl) and Michael Musto (as Paris Hilton). 9:30pm, $15

      Mon, November 8
      CERVERIS / UNCLE MOON
      Singer/songwriter Michael Cerveris' career straddles the disparate worlds of theatre and indie rock. Tonight, joined by a powerful rock band plus string quartet, Cerveris focuses on material from his ferocious and fragile solo debut album, dog eared, which "...turns pathos into pop redemption" (Amplifier). The Tony Award-winning actor and rock musician Cerveris -- former frontman of British band Retriever (Hinterlands) and the U.S. group Lame, as well as touring guitarist/vocalist on Bob Mould's '98 US/UK "Dog and Pony Show" sojourn -- originated the title role in the Broadway hit Tommy and in the late 90s, he starred in the smash cult hit Hedwig and the Angry Inch on London's West End, in New York Off-Broadway, and in Los Angeles, and most recently, on Broadway in Sondheim and Weidman's "Assassins". On his new deeply personal and passionate album, recorded with friends including Corin Tucker and Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney, Laura Cantrell, The Posies' Ken Stringfellow and Sonic Youth's Steve Shelley, Cerveris highlights his versatile hook-filled songwriting, emotionally resonant vocals and subtle arrangements. "...this is the very model of the modern Breakup Record.with its emphasis on acoustic guitars, uncertain melodies and hushed, tremulous singing, Dog Eared most recalls the work of the late Elliott Smith." -Time Out NY www.cerveris.com
      Uncle Moon weaves an eclectic variety of music drawing on the unique possibilities of instrumentation consisting of guitar, accordion, violin, saxophone and double bass and as a result has been called everything from "Kurt Weill at the Grand Ol' Opry" to "the closest that performance art music has come to moonshine." Performing special arrangements of material by a melange of artists that include Django Rheinhardt, Thelonius Monk, Velvet Underground, and The Butthole Surfers, as well as their impressive original material Uncle Moon provides a sound experience that audiences will not soon forget. 7pm, $15

      Mon, November 8
      THE PETERSONS
      The Petersons, upstate New York's favorite rock and roll family, are back to blow the roof off Joe's Pub. The metaphorical roof, that is...the actual roof's far too valuable. The Petersons are Adam Stein, Keira Naughton, Matt Saldivar, Evan Robertson and Pete Simpson, and they always come prepared with a completely new show and surprise special guests. Previous drop-ins include Academy Award winner Paul Newman, Tony Award winners James Naughton and Robert Sean Leonard, Emmy Award nominee Michael C. Hall, superstar John Cameron Mitchell, and many many more. Described by The New York Times as "a hipster theater mock-rock group with a devoted following," The Petersons will bring you the gift of laughter, the gift of musical bliss, and most important of all...the gift of eternal salvation. If you don't believe it, come on down and see for yourself. "One of the funniest, most original shows in town" -Time Out New York 9:30pm, $15

      Mon, November 8
      BLOOD OF HAITI/NEW WORLD MOVEMENT BENEFIT FOR RELIEF VICTIMS OF HAITI
      Haitian Hip Hop Artists come together Jules, Mecca, Martilee, Negnoir Army, Lyon Paw, Ella Turenne and others. Hosted by Won-G. And a screening of documentary by Danny Glover: "Sove Nou".
      The First Land Movement is an organization aimed at working to bring the hip hop community together to raise support for issues concerning the world community. The movement's ultimate goal is to help raise money that will buy food, books and other supplies to help rebuild communities across the Globe. The First Land Movement will raise awareness through benefit concerts, rallies, fundraisers and other events. Performances, however, are just one aspect of raising money for these causes. Corporate and private donors are also urged to help the cause. www.negoirrecords.com | www.firmcleo.net 11pm, $15 and accepted donations, clothing, food, etc.

      Tues, November 9
      MORGAN HERITAGE: Full Circle CD Release
      Morgan Heritage is more than just a legendary reggae band. They're a revolution, a family, a force of nature, and a crew of five independent artists on a musical mission. With "Full Circle," their seventh album for VP Records, Morgan Heritage connects with reggae's past while blazing an uncharted path into a musical future beyond categorization. "...the favorite reggae band of today's skater kids, eschewing trendiness for roots sounds and Rasta messages, and sealing the deal with achingly beautiful sibling harmonies second to none in Jamaican music." -All Music Guide. 7pm, $20

      Tues, November 9
      IHSAN / HESTON
      Manhattan born, Jersey bred, and Brooklyn steeped Ihsan rhymes, sings, chants, and rocks the crowd to the sway of her hips. Having performed and dominated the New York spoken - word and underground club scenes, Ihsan has spread her wings to write her self-titled debut album which features her signature hits "Black" and "Bones." On it, Ihsan combines the bluesy funk quality of Jill Scott with the expansive imagination of Erykah Badu, and reminds listeners what good music is all about. Don't miss this chance to let Ihsan teach you how to groove at Joe's Pub.
      World-soul artist, Heston, brings it back to NY after a crazy summer! From sharing the stage with Angie Stone and George Clinton at Atlanta's famed Midtown Music Festival to opening a performance with Van Hunt and Kanye West at the On-The-Bricks Festival in front of 35,000 people, Heston has been spreading the love and his music to the masses. Following the incredible response both nationally and internationally from his self-titled EP, Heston is completing production on his forthcoming album - due out in early 2005. Heston is excited to get back to the intimate setting at one of his favorite clubs - Joe's Pub. This event is proudly supported by Sista Factory www.sistafactory.com 9:30pm, $12

      Wed, November 10
      SALLY TIMMS / JOHNNY DOWD
      Sally Timms, best known for her involvement with the Mekons, continues to define alt-country in her newest recording In The World of Him (Touch and Go). The album, recorded with Johnny Dowd showcases songs written by men and sung from their perspective - featuring songs by Ryan Adams, Mark Eitzel, Kevin Coyne and more. "Timms blends rapture and disenchantment in a way that recalls those old cliches about why caged birds sing. Her voice, a secretive murmur refined by her native English accent, is the stuff of lullabies. But her knowing stance pulls back from that intimacy with a sweet sadness." -New York Times http://nytimes.com/2004/09/27/arts/music/27choi.html
      "There's intense and there's Johnny Dowd. He's Nick Cave with a hangover. Hank's lonesome whistle spat through Waits's grinder, with Beefheart on the side, coming on like a flu-ridden Texan undertaker singing broken folk laments for a dead dog he never cared much for anyway...his cracked larynx, jagged guitar and spooky organ possessed of something quite unnerving, eking out gothic tales laced with tar-black humour." -Time Out London 7pm, $12/$20 for combination ticket with Joe Hurley 9:30pm show

      Wed, November 10
      JOE HURLEY
      As the leader of longtime NYC favorites Rogue's March, Joe Hurley has released several critically acclaimed CDs, and performed with the likes of Marianne Faithfull, Amy Rigby, Sally Timms, Martha Wainwright,and Shane MacGowan. The combination of Hurley's heartfelt vocal quality and his flair for cinematic storytelling has been recognized and captured on record by producers such as Tony Visconti( Bowie), Rob Fraboni (Stones) and PJ Harvey. For this special night at Joe's Pub, Hurley will be backed by The Gents, a sublime cast of NYC allstars, including Tony Shanahan (Patti Smith), James Mastro (John Cale, Ian Hunter), Kenny Margolis (Cracker) and Steve Wynn (Dream Syndicate) -- Joe and The Gents will be playing songs culled from his forthcoming CD an eclectic mix of stripped-down ballads, music-hall flavored sing-alongs, and flat-out stinging r&r...Expect very special guests. "Joe Hurley is one of New York's most entertaining frontmen - His distinctive vocals can be raucous as all get-out, and as sorrowful as a baritone can be" -Village Voice www.roguesmarch.com 9:30pm, $12/$20 for combination ticket with Sally Timms 7pm show

      Thurs, November 11
      VIENNA TENG w/ special guests Tammany Hall NYC (6:30pm) & Beth Wood (9pm)
      With her graceful melodies and evocative lyrics, Vienna -- "a love child of Chopin and Sarah McLachlan" (San Jose Mercury News) -- has garnered critical acclaim and a rapidly growing legion of fans throughout the world. Her first album "Waking Hour" took Vienna from anonymity to fame in a few short months, and her newest release "Warm Strangers" produced by David Henry (REM, Cowboy Junkies, Josh Rouse) and mixed by Roger Moutenot (Roseanne Cash, Guster, Joseph Arthur) promises to take her to the next level. "Sharp and poetic...smart and layered songcraft." -Washington Post www.viennateng.com
      Formed in Manhattan in 1997 by singer/songwriter Steve O'Reilly and guitarist/producer Matt Anthony and later joined by drummer Dave Femia and Bassist Rod Quevedo, Tammany Hall NYC hasn't stopped making great music. "At a time when more-calculating-than-thou Pop cynicism has taken over the radio, singer Steve O'Reilly's naked emotion hits like a shot of whiskey." -San Fransisco Bay Guardian www.tammanyhallnyc.com
      Having grown up in Lubbock, Texas, Beth Wood is classically trained in piano, violin, harp and voice. After spending two years studying voice and piano at Brevard College in North Carolina, Beth moved on to The University of Texas, where she picked up a degree in Literature and her first guitar. Teaching herself guitar, she joined a band and became part of the Austin music scene. After a few years of playing around Austin in her band, and then in a duo, Beth kissed her day-job goodbye and returned to the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina to pursue music full-time. The natural beauty of her surroundings provided inspiration while the supportive community helped Beth to become a stand-out in the Asheville songwriters' community. Now an established singer/songwriter, she occasionally resides in Arlington, Texas, while continuously touring to support her five independent releases. www.bethwoodmusic.com 6:30 & 9pm, $15

      Fri, November 12
      ISAAC MIZRAHI
      [see 11/5 for full info] 7:30pm, $20

      Fri, November 12
      ERIC ANDERSEN
      Eric Andersen's songs, voice, and guitar have created a career, spanning over 30 years, that includes 21 albums of original songs, and numerous tours of North America, Europe, and Japan. His songs have been recorded by artists all over the world, including Judy Collins, Fairport Convention, Peter Paul and Mary, Rick Nelson, Linda Ronstadt, The Grateful Dead, and Francoise Hardy. "Andersen is one of America's finest lyric-poet songwriters...he stands with his contemporaries Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell - as one of the few remaining pioneers of the 60's singer/songwriter movement continuing to do important work." -Aquarian Weekly 9:30pm, $20

      Sat, November 13
      ADAM PASCAL: Civilian CD Release
      7pm, SOLD OUT
      *2nd show added November 27!

      Sat, November 13
      PHARAOH'S DAUGHTER
      This evening will open with a composition by oud player, Basya Schechter, funded in part by NYSCA, and featuring a small Arabic orchestra, musically directed by Bassam Saba, virtuoso ney, oud and violin player in Simon Shaheen's ensemble. The rest of the program features Pharaoh's Daughter, who debuted this year at Summerstage, and who the Village Voice describes as "totally beautiful...stitching torah to indo to jazz to pop...balancing spirituality with cultural pluralism." 9:30pm, $12 in advance/$15 at the door

      Sun, November 14
      THE PEACE WITHIN CONCERT feat. Dorothy Scott, Sloan Wainwright, Julie Gold, Corky Siegel, and Jean Feraca
      The "Peace Within" project rocks Public Radio with four 4 powerful singer-songwriters. Dorothy Scott is a versatile singer/songwriter who delivers naked soul and honesty with an intoxicatingly passionate vibe, and has been compared to Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, and Jeff Buckley. Sloan Wainwright holds a beautiful musical style that melds the best of rock, folk, jazz and blues to a soulful hybrid. Julie Gold is best known as the writer of "From A Distance: (winning the Grammy for song of the year in 1990. Corky Siegel has earned an international reputation as one of the world's greatest blues harmonica masters. Special guest, Jean Feraca from Wisconsin Public Radio, will open the show with her award winning essay "Crossing the Great Divide" , which speaks of the power of radio to connect people across boundaries. The "Peace Within" concert series is a nation wide project which is designed to strengthen and support public and independent radio stations across the nation. 7pm, $20

      Sun, November 14
      KATIE ELEVITCH w/ special guest Jeff Brodnax
      Recently chosen as a Village Voice Choice by music editor Chuck Eddy and called a "positively riveting talent" by The Big Takeover, Katie Elevitch is a singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist whose songs and live band shows lure you into a sonic devotional journey across lush landscapes of groove heavy rock, soul, folk and jazz. Her debut album, Now Is The Destination, which will be released this December, was produced by Tony Maimone and was proclaimed "the kick-ass side of fuck yeah" by Obie-award winning playwright and Giant Step recording artist, Carl Hancock Rux. With Jonathan Maron (Groove Collective) bass, Tim Vaill, drums and Riley McMahon, guitar. www.KatieElevitch.com | www.NowIsTheDestination.com
      The former front man of world-renowned black rock band 24-7 Spyz and the funk-based band Egypt, Jeff Brodnax creates luscious, symphonic scale songs of love and loss using only the barest of necessities: his voice and guitar. Jeff currently soothes souls in the NYC subway tunnels. www.cdbaby.com/brodnax 9:30pm, $10

      Mon, November 15
      ROB CURTO'S FORRó PARTY BAND: Musica Do Nordeste w/ guests Scott Kettner (Maracatu NY) and Jorge Martins (Cascabulho)
      "Música do Nordeste" -- an evening of Brazilian music from special Northeast region. Featuring Rob Curto's energetic Forró Band and special guests Scott Kettner, members of his groups Maracatu NY and Nation Beat ensemble, and Jorge Martins of Cascabulho, from Recife, Brazil. This show will be a special collaboration combining elements of Forró, the accordion-driven dance music of the northeast of Brazil, with Maracatu and other rhythms from the state Pernambuco, home of Jorge Martins from the popular band Cascabulho. Maracatu, originally linked to the election of a "King of the Congo" by the African slaves in Brazil is a super-energetic, percussive and syncopated form of music, which remains popular in Brazil and, along with Forró is becoming recognized throughout the world. Don't miss this special performance. 7:30pm, $12

      Mon, November 15
      KCRW.COM Presents:
      PLASTILINA MOSH
      part of the Mexico Now Festival
      With comparisons to Beck, Air and Buffalo Daughter, Plastilina Mosh's breezy post-mod hip-pop music, mixing English and Spanish lyrics, perfectly reflects a kind of bordertown internationalism...in one word "sleazydiscofunkpunk-newwavehiphop". The Monterrey, Mexico duo - Juan José "Jonaz" González and Alejandro Rosso - come together in an unusual group with an uncommon name which comes from the sonic combination of two dissimilar words that exemplify the members' personalities: visceral opposites. Their breakthrough single "Niño Bomba" was the first rock-en-Español clip ever added to MTV's rotation. Over the years, they have worked with a who's who of the Latin and Anglo alternative worlds, from Café Tacuba to the Beta Band's producer Chris Allison, to Beastie Boys' Money Mark. After along break, P-Mosh's released their third album, "Hola Chicuelos", which again captures P-Mosh's freshness and sense of humor, with guest appearances by Asian massive percussionist Karsh Kale, Brazilian singer Pat C, amd Maurizio Terracina of Zurdok. "Boombastic beats, over-the-top rapping in Spanglish, and a fair share of salsa, funk, and lounge-jazz thrown in to boot...Beck can't rock the house as convincingly and fiercely as Plastilina Mosh...edgy but not humorless, keeping one foot on the dance floor and one in the mosh pit." -Pitchfork. www.plastilinamosh.com.mx
      This concert is presented in association with the Mexico Now, a citywide festival of contemporary Mexican arts and culture, which presents the work of over 100 Mexican filmmakers, architects, writers, dance, theater, music, and visual artists at 30 of New York City's leading arts venues in November 2004. Mexico Now is a project of Arts International, the nation's only nonprofit organization solely devoted to international arts exchange. More information available at www.mexiconowfestival.org. Flights provided courtesy of the Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores de México. 9:30 & 11:30pm, $20

      Tues, November 16
      THE JUST FOR LAUGHS EXPERIENCE 2004 feat. Ted Alexandro, Bill Burr, Joey Elias and The Doo-Wops, hosted by Brent Butt
      Join us for a raucous evening of comedy featuring a line-up of stand-out stand-ups from Montreal's Just For Laughs, the world's largest and most prestigious comedy festival. Hosted by Brent Butt, star of the hit CTV sitcom Corner Gas, and featuring the talents of Bill Burr, from Comedy Central's "Chappelle's Show", Ted Alexandro, NY comedy club circuit veteran whose numerous television appearances include "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and "The Late Show with David Letterman", the unique blend of song and satire from rising Canadian comedy team The Doo Wops, and Montrealer Joey Elias, who lost a bet 12 years ago and was forced onto the comedy stage. Now, he has no less than seven appearances at the Just For Laughs Festival and appeard on the 2003 cross-Canada tour. He made a colossal splash during his outstanding performance at the 2002 Just For Laughs Gala. He has recently appeared on MTV's Road Rules. A truly "best of" evening that is not to be missed. www.hahaha.com 7pm, $15

      Tues, November 16
      HOT KARL: Before I Get Famous
      When hip-hop began its attack on mainstream culture in the mid-80's, it found itself in some pretty strange neighborhoods. It started to influence kids that the music was never intended for. Shows like Yo! MTV Raps and national tours from Run DMC brought rap music to uncharted territories never thought of during its birth in the hood. This is when the suburbs discovered rap music. And so did Hot Karl. As Karl continues his attempt to "make hip-hop fun," he never focuses on the morbid and fake world of guns, jewels and money that is the current trend in urban music. "I'm only going to speak about things I know," Karl explains. "My keeping it real is much different than most other MC's." Destined to be voice of the suburbs, Hot Karl attempts to introduce his upbringing and signature humor to the mainstream through rap. His forthcoming album on BBE/Headless Heroes features production and guest appearances from DJ Quik, Will.I.Am, 9th Wonder, Ayatollah, C-Minus, MC Serch, Jamey Staub, Reggie Watts and Mayru. 9:30pm, $10 advance/$12 at door

      Wed, November

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)