SACW #2 | 02 March 01 [Human Rights Special]

  • Harsh Kapoor
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      South Asia Citizens Wire - Dispatch #2

      http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

      2nd March 2001

      [* All the recipients of SACW who wish to continue recieving South Asians
      Against Nukes Posts should send a blank e-mail message to :
      <saan-subscribe@...>. South Asians Against Nukes is no longer be
      posted to the SACW [ACT] list. All interested and concerned by the dangers
      of Nuclearisation of South Asia are invited to join South Asians Against
      Nukes Mailing List.

      ** The SACW dipatches will be interrupted from March 3 to March 5, 2001]

      #1. An Interview with IA Rehman director, Human Rights Commission of Pakistan
      #2. LHRA report: Year 2K: A violent year for women & children in Pakistan
      #3. India: Delhi PUCL unit report on Ranjit Singhs arrest by the Narcotics
      Police in Madangir

      ------------------------------------

      #1.

      The Times of India
      Friday Nov, 17, 2000

      Right to be Human

      I A Rehman, director, Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, been a joumalist
      for over 25years However, his idea of human rights and development's not
      Pakistan-centric He firmly believes that South Asian countries share a
      common destiny; hence they should not be working at cross purposes. He was
      chief editor of 'Pakistan Times' in l989°.ln lndia recently to deliver the
      Nikhil Chakravarty Memorial Foundation lecture on Media and Human
      Development, Rehman spoke to Akshava Mukul:

      What are the problems that the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP)
      faces?

      Apart from the long list of problems that people face, working for human
      rights in Pakistan is itself a big problem. But we work as an NGO with a
      broader perspective. Unlilce an official organisation we don't only take
      note of issues which are brought before us but also issues which people are
      not even aware of. We normally examine human problems rooted in history and
      tradition, of working people, women and children.

      What kind of relanionship does the HRCP have with the
      the government?

      No government likes an independent human rights body. But the degree of tol-
      erance vanes from one government to the other. We maintain a distance from
      the government. As a public watchdog whatever we do is made available to
      the public and the the government. We believe that government is not the
      only engine of change and so we rely more on people's strength. Through
      them we tell the goverment to change their policies. Public opinion is our
      major weapon.

      Specifically, what kind of relationship do you have with the Musharraf's
      regime ?

      Frankly since we fight for democracy we cannot support the present set-up.
      Thats why we have been demanding a return to democracy. But this regime
      cannot be ignored. If the country is suffering we have to tell the de facto
      authority to solve it. Moreover, this government has approached us to train
      officials in human rights.

      Is the Army an obstruction in fighting for human rights in Pakistan ?

      The army is not involved in day to day activities. In fact when Roop Kumar,
      an Indian was sentenced to death by Military court we appealed to the army
      chief to commute his sentence - which he did.

      Who commits the maximum violation of human rights ?

      Undeniably the police. This is because of the judicial system. We have
      laws which lead to denial of human rights. But non-state elements are no
      less. These are Landlords and entrepreneurs who keep bonded labour. Human
      rights violations by men against women and children is also on the rise.
      Unfortunately, we also have the problem of ethnic conflicts. Different
      Islamic sects have carried their differences through armed conflicts and
      killings

      Are you happy with the redressal system ?

      It depends. In areas like minority rights-- in dealing with percieved
      'right' of the husband to beat his wife--success is slow. But in cases of
      illegal detention, right to security, it is possible to seek redressal
      though not very often. But one good thing is the level of awareness of
      human rights has risen considerably among people. Even in villages people
      have started articulating their demands. The women's movement is also sound
      . But performance of civil society is weak.

      Do you think the laws should be changed ?

      We feel that an equitable order based on human rights should have rule of
      law. We are against special
      laws and parallel judiciary. We are for more for legislation to protect and
      promote human rights and that is why we have heen campaigning against the
      system of separate eiectorate and abolition of death penalty. The HRCP
      points out gaps and suggests where laws can be made. We were involved in
      tbe enactment of Abolition of Bonded Labour Act and have also contributed
      to juvenile justice ordinance and suggested changes in the constitution.

      Women are a vocal participant in Pakistan's human rights movement; but has
      it changed their conditon in any way?

      Unlike what is perceived outside,
      Pakistani women have been at the forefront of many democratic movements For
      themselves they have a long agenda. They are de-mandmg due participation in
      politics. It is bccause of them that the government has allowed 33 per cent
      reservation m local bodies

      Presently, they are fighting for economlc independence both in family and
      society. Women are also campaignmg against violence in society in general

      How does Pakistan react to international bodies like UNHCR?

      Pakistan is not a keen participant to the human rights system. It has not
      ratified the core conventions and covenants related to human rights
      What is the state of minorities in Pakistan?
      We have a serious problem at this front. At present minority rights are
      denied in the constitution, in laws and in terms of social practices Their
      position had begun to improve between 1957 and 1977 when we had joint
      electorate, single voters list and the state was moving towards a modern
      democratic structure. This despite the fact that between 1958 to 1969
      Pakistan was ruled by the military. But General Zia-ul-Haq who ruled from
      1977 to 1988 changed the orientation of the state by glving it bis version
      of Is latnic direction. Under him the mi norities' problem became serious
      And if the forces of militant orthodoxy continue to gain streneth, as they
      appear to be doing now, the interests amd rights of minorities will be
      seriously tbreatened.

      What do you think about the human righhts situation in India?

      We feel that in India the elementary democratic system has survived but the
      goal of people's empowerment is far from over. Secondly, despite efforts to
      protect the SCs and STs, the degree of tolerance for them requires g reat
      effort. The situation of women and children is not at all happy. However,
      the Indian judlclal system has often helped Indian people in maintaining
      democratic civilised norms

      I consider myself a citizen of South Asia. I don't feel good that one-third
      Indians live below the poverty line. We are also concerned about special
      laws like TADA. I think India will become great if it practices democratic
      governance more vigorously, consolidates secularism and guaran tees
      equality of opportunity to disadvantaged sections of the society.

      Do you think that liberals in countries like India and Pakistan are under
      serious threat?

      Their role in both countries has declined. In societies divided by senous
      issues it is difficult to take the middle ground. Liberal ideas grow in a
      climate of equality. Liberals in South Asia are in a quandary while weaker
      ones among them have already become part of the state.

      What are the other threats to human rights in India and Pakistan?

      The hurnan rights situation in both India and
      Pakistan is decisively affected by state policies and extremely costly
      confrontation. By fighting we-have deprived our people basic rights and
      denied South Asia its role in the world.

      _____

      #2.

      Lawyers for Human Rights and Legal Aid (LHRLA) Pakistan

      Year 2K: A violent year for women & children in Pakistan

      Despite tall claims made by the government to protect women and children;
      the year 2000 proved very violent for this vulnerable class of the society.
      During the year there were 736 cases of physical abuse of women 600 cases
      of sexual abuse against women and 490 cases of abuse against children
      -girls and boys- were recorded. There were 540 cases of women suicide, 80
      cases of female child hara-kiri and 75 cases of male child suicide were
      reported. There were 482 cases of women being kidnapped and 267 cases of
      child adduction were recorded. There were also 160 very unfortunate cases
      of women being burnt to death were recorded.
      All these cases were reported and published in newspapers or are otherwise
      acknowledged, to collect information regarding human rights violation in
      the country, especially against women and children. In order to maintain
      an updated database the staff members of LHRLA monitor fourteen newspapers
      daily in Urdu, English and Sindhi languages. With the help of this
      database LHRLA attempts to keep the public informed about the incidents of
      violence against women and children, through its press releases.

      LHRLA believes that the role of police and other law enforcement agencies
      is very vital for the prevention of crime against women and children.
      LHRLA also deems that the due to the negligence as well as compliance of
      law enforcing agencies the violent crime against the weaker section of the
      society is generally on the rise.

      In the year 2000, there were 736 cases of physical abuse against women were
      reported. In January eighty cases were recorded, in February seventy-two,
      in March fifty, in April forty-six, in May forty-five, in June fifty-five,
      in July sixty-four, in August seventy, in September sixty-seven, in October
      eighty, in November fifty-one and in December fifty-six cases of physical
      abuse were published in different local as well as national newspapers of
      the country.
      According to the findings of the LHRLA's investigation there were different
      types of cases of physical violence against women; in some cases they were
      beaten, some cases beaten and burnt, injured, teased, tortured, stripped
      and murdered. It is significant to note that 240 women were murdered all
      over the country during the year 2000.

      Last year there were 600 cases of sexual abuse were also published in the
      vernacular as well as national press of the country. In January twelve
      cases were reported, in February twenty-eight, in March fifty-seven, in
      April forty-two, in May sixty-four, in June fifty-two, in July forty-four,
      in August seventy-nine, in September fifty-four, in October fifty-nine, in
      November forty-four and in December sixty cases of sexual abuse were
      reported.

      According to LHRLA's research out of 600 cases of sexual abuse there were
      400 cases of rape were reported in the print media. These included cases
      of kidnap rape, gang rape and kidnap gang rape. It is notable that the
      number of reported rape cases have risen dramatically during last year. In
      the month of January five cases of rape
      or kidnap rape were reported in different national as well as provincial
      newspapers of the country, in February ten, in March twenty-six, in April
      twenty-one, in May twenty-five, in June fifteen, in July twenty-two, in
      August thirty-seven, in September twenty-nine, in October twelve, in
      November fourteen and in December twenty cases of violence against women
      were reported according to the figures found by LHRLA in the media.
      Despite the horrific figure of 400 rape cases in twelve months that is,
      more than one rape case per day, rape continues to be one of the most
      under-reported ñ and therefore unpunished ñ crimes in the country.
      Gang rape is also an increasing phenomenon in our society. In January five
      cases of gang rape were reported in the print media, in February fourteen,
      in March twenty, in April ten, in May twenty, in June twenty-five, in July
      eleven, in August twenty, in September eleven, in October seven, in
      November twelve and in December nine cases of gang rape or kidnap gang rape
      were reported. During the last year fifteen cases of rape murder were also
      recorded in the print media.
      A leading psychologist of the city opined that it is tragic how rape
      victims, no matter what the circumstances, are convinced no one would
      believe them. Perhaps it is the nature of crime, which has long been
      shrouded, in secrecy and guilt or perhaps the victims are so shaken that
      they are unable to believe themselves.

      It is pertinent to note that the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms
      of Discrimination against women (CEDAW) was adopted in 1979 by the United
      Nations General Assembly. In 1989 almost one hundred countries ratified
      the convention and Pakistan is one of them. The high number of violence
      cases against women clearly shows that despite the ratification of CEDAW
      what is happening in our country with the women.

      490 cases of abuse against girls and boys were reported during the year
      2000, in the country. Out of these, forty-four cases were reported in
      January, thirty-nine in February, forty-nine in March, thirty-eight in
      April, thirty-four in May, twenty-seven in June, thirty-five in July,
      thirty-six in August, thirty-one in September, forty in October, thirty-six
      in November and forty cases of child abuse were recorded in the last month
      of year 2000.

      Out of these reported cases 160 cases of rape against female children were
      reported 14 were gang raped while 32 female children were murdered. 133
      cases of sodomy were reported 30 male children were murdered while 20 cases
      of torture against male children were published in the newspapers.
      The incidents of rape, gang rape, rape murder, sodomy, gang sodomy, murder
      and torture are increasing at an alarming rate and are very much in
      practice in almost all over the country. LHRLAís investigation reveals that
      sodomy cases are rising all over the country but they are more frequent in
      slums and rural areas.

      Article 34 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Children (CRC) states
      parties undertake to protect the child from all forms of sexual
      exploitation and sexual abuse. For these purposes, state parties shall in
      particular take all appropriate national, bilateral and multilateral
      measures to prevent:
      The inducement or coercion of a child to engage in any unlawful sexual
      activity;
      The exploitative use of children in prostitution or other unlawful sexual
      practices;
      The exploitative use of children in pornographic performances and materials.

      In the year 2000, 540 women have committed suicide in different areas of
      the country, while 75 male children and 80 female children also committed
      hara-kiri during that time. In January ten cases of suicide by women were
      reported, in February thirteen, in March twenty-four, in April
      thirty-seven, in May forty-three, in June thirty-six, in July forty-four,
      in August seventy-three, in September seventy-eight, in October
      fifty-eight, in November sixty-eight and fifty-six cases of hara-kiri by
      women were reported in December 2000.
      According to the research conducted by LHRLA, a fast deepening sense of
      insecurity, emotional distance, uncertainty, hopelessness, poverty, failure
      in love, failure in examinations, divorce, domestic violence, financial
      problems, childlessness, marriage disputes, and mental illnesses seem to be
      the main reasons behind the sudden rise in the cases of self-murder among
      women and children in the country.

      80 cases of female child suicide were reported in last year; out of these
      80 cases two were reported in January, six in February, five in March,
      seven in April, four in May, six in June, eight in July, thirteen in
      August, four in September, eight in October, ten in November and nine cases
      of female child hara-kiri were reported in December.

      There were 75 cases of male child suicide published in the newspapers
      during the year 2000. In January one case was reported, in February there
      were none, in March nine, in April seven, in May two, in June five, in July
      eight, in August twelve, in September twelve, in October five, in November
      eight and in December six cases of male child suicide were recorded.
      In the year 2000, there were 120 cases of women attempting suicide that
      were reported in different local and national newspapers. In January three
      cases of women attempting suicide were reported, in February three, in
      March seven, in April fifteen, in May five, in June seven, in July four, in
      August twelve, in September thirty-two, in October eleven, in November nine
      and in December twelve cases were reported. According to our investigation
      incidents of suicide are increasing in Sindh very rapidly and almost 5
      cases are reported daily.
      During the last twelve months 160 cases of women being burnt to death all
      over the country were reported and published in different local and
      national newspapers. In January fifteen cases of burning to death were
      reported, in February ten, in March twelve, in April thirteen, in May
      eleven, in June sixteen, in July nineteen, in August fourteen, in September
      eleven, in October twelve, in November fourteen and in December thirteen
      cases of violence against women were reported according to the figures
      LHRLA found in the newspapers.
      During the year 2000, there were 482 cases of women being kidnapped were
      reported all over the country. In the month of January twenty seven cases
      of abduction of women were reported in different national as well as
      provincial newspapers of the country; in February forty-seven were
      reported, in March forty-one, in April sixty-one, in May forty-four, in
      June fifty, in July seventy, in August seventy-eight, in September
      nineteen, in October ten, in November twelve and in December twenty-two
      such cases were published according to the figures found by LHRLA in the
      media. .

      According to the findings of the LHRLA's investigation, in many reported
      cases of kidnapping of women the perpetrator was known to the victim; he
      was either an acquaintance, a neighbor, a relative, a friend, family friend
      or a stranger. In some very significant cases the kidnapper was a
      policeman, in other cases the kidnapper was a dacoit, husband, wadera or
      jagirdar (feudal lord), peer, faqir (spiritual leader), moulvi, shopkeeper,
      pimp or trafficker. It is notable that in 214 cases of such abductions the
      perpetrators were familiars, in 108 cases they were strangers, in 16 cases
      they were traffickers, in 19 cases they were dacoits, in 12 cases they were
      ex-husbands and in 20 cases they were policemen.

      Cases of the kidnapping of women are rampant in the interior of Sindh and
      Punjab. Since January 2000, in Punjab there 230 cases of the kidnapping of
      women were reported; in Sindh 190, in Balochistan 12, in the NWFP 3. In
      Islamabad 3 cases of abduction were reported in the print media.

      267 cases of children being kidnapped were reported during the year 2000,
      in the country; out of these reported cases 184 were female child while 83
      were male. In the year 2000, the numbers of reported kidnapping cases of
      children ñmale and female- have risen dramatically. Out of reported 184
      cases of female child abduction eight cases were published in January in
      different national as well as provincial newspapers of the country; in
      February eighteen, in March fourteen, in April nineteen, in May sixteen, in
      June twenty, in July thirty-one, in August twenty-six, in September six, in
      October nine, in November seven and in December ten such cases were
      reported according to the figures found by LHRLA in the media.
      All this goes to prove that we are indifferent to the well being of our
      next generation. The children abduction cases are increasing at an alarming
      rate and are very much in practice in almost all over the country. The most
      agonizing aspect of male child abduction cases is that they are being
      trafficked to gulf states to take part in camel racing or as a cheap
      laborer.

      During last year, 83 cases of male child abduction were reported in print
      media. In January two cases were published, in February five, in March
      six, in April one, in May two, in June three, in July fourteen, in August
      eighteen, in September nine, in October eight, in November six and in
      December nine cases of abduction were reported in different local as well
      as national newspapers.
      LHRLA investigations show that in many reported child-kidnapping cases the
      reasons were old enmity, kidnapping for ransom and sexual pleasure; in some
      cases abducted male children are being trafficked to the Gulf States. It
      is significant to note that researchers believe that during past ten years
      around 40,000 children from Pakistan alone were smuggled to take part in
      the Gulf Statesí camel race.

      According to Article 35 of the CRC states parties shall take all
      appropriate national, bilateral, and multilateral measures to prevent the
      abduction of, the sale of or traffic in children for any purpose or in any
      form. It is pertinent to note that Pakistan is the signatory of CRC
      (Convention on the Rights of the Child).

      Cases of the kidnapping of children are very much prevalent in the interior
      of Sindh and Punjab. During the year 2000, in Sindh 86 cases of female
      child kidnapping were reported; in Punjab 80, in Balochistan 8, in the NWFP
      6 and in Islamabad 4 cases of female child abduction were reported in the
      print media. From January to December 2000, 38 cases of
      male child kidnapping in Sindh were reported in different newspapers; in
      Punjab 32, in Balochistan 5, in NWFP 5 while in Islamabad 3 cases were
      reported.
      Some prominent journalists of the city remarked that women and child
      kidnapping cases were occurring all over the country very rapidly but due
      to the conservative social set-up in NWFP and Balochistan lesser incidents
      became public and were thus reported in the print media.
      LHRLA believes that violence against women is increasing day by day and is
      rarely brought to the notice of the public or press unless the women die or
      suffer gruesome injuries. All the above-mentioned cases have been reported
      in different national and local newspapers of the country. However, it is
      believed that many cases of violence against women and children had gone
      unreported and these incidents are only the tip of the iceberg.

      _____

      #3.

      A recent report by the New Delhi Unit of Peoples Union for Civil Liberties
      (PUCL)

      Report on Ranjit Singhs arrest by the Narcotics Police in Madangir

      On a complaint made by Mrs Sudarshan Kaur, w/o Shri Ranjit Singh, Delhi
      PUCL appointed a committee of Dr. R.M.Pal, as convenor, Mr V.B.Rawat and
      Mr V.K.Ohri as members to investigate into the arrest of Shri Ranjit
      singhs of Madangir, New Delhi.

      Family version:

      Ranjit Singh is a middle aged man, a father of two small daughters aged 4
      and 6. He owns a small watch repairing shop near PVR Anupam in Saket. He
      had a zeal to fight with anti-social elements in his locality. He has been
      living in his home No D-2/163, house at Madangir with his wife, mother and
      two other brothers and all have their businesses. This house was built by
      his father by selling his old property and shops in the area. People in
      the locality vouch that they have been living here since 1972 and have
      been very supportive of social causes. So far as police record is
      concerned the family has clean record.

      According to family members and associates, Ranjit Singh had been openly
      supporting the cause of society even at the cost of his life. He dared the
      anti-social elements and for the past four years have been writing letters
      to Home minister, Police commissioner, against some of these elements
      >from his locality who he alleged have been involved in the illegal work of
      narcotics such as selling smack. On the basis of one of his reports, a raid
      was conducted at the houses, E-II-331-332-333 and Mr Dilbagh Singh and a
      number of family member including his wife Harjit Kaur alias Pinky were
      also arrested on 23rd January,2000.

      Once these people were arrested, the local goons started threatening
      Ranjit Singh who wrote letters to Police the commissioner and local police
      officials to provide him security. The last such letter was faxed on
      February 7th, 2000 to SHO Malviya Nagar. On 23rd February, exactly one
      month after the arrest of Harjit Kaur and others, when Ranjit Singh was on
      his way to his shop at Saket by his scooter, the narcotics police
      officials from Kamla Nagar arrested him at the T-point of Pushp Vihar, on
      the charges that smack has been found from his scooter along with Rs 500
      as well as 12 watches. Ranjit Singh was arrested by the Narcotics
      department of Delhi police and has since been lodged in the Tihar jail.

      PUCL visit :

      A team of PUCL Delhi visited the area and spoke to a large number of
      people including neighbours. Almost all of them vouched that Ranjit Singh
      and his family could not have indulged in antisocial activities such as
      dealing in Narcotics. But when they were asked as to whether they know
      anything about any illegal activity of narcotics in their area, they
      became quiet, when pressed they simply said that they did not know
      anything about such activity ! Ms Lachma from DII/129, Laxmi Narain from
      D-II/167 and other people came

      to meet us and said that Ranjit Singh has been falsely accused in the
      case. However, all of them denied about any such work going on in the
      area. The area is a mini slum and we saw a large number of youngsters and
      elders roaming around in streets. We met several people who knew Ranjit
      Singh and raised the issue with the police officials. One Darshan Singh,
      who was then the Vice President of BJP Yuva Morcha told the Deputy
      Commissioner Sudhir Yadav in a public meeting under Delhi Police campaign
      " Dilli Police apke Saath" &.in a Gurudwara that any one who speak against
      anti-social element and want to help the police will face what Ranjit
      Singh has been facing and that is why no body want to speak. Ranjit Singh
      has been fighting against the antisocial elements since 1995 and has been
      informing the police for four years and as a reward he was arrested and
      now rotting in jail as an undertrial ! No body knows how many years he
      would remain in jail as an undertrial. Darshan told us that DCP Sudhir
      Yadav said the he would inform about the Ranjit case in a month s time but
      nothing has happened. ACP Sikka also attended that meeting.

      The PUCL team also visited Saket where Ranjit Singh has a small roadside
      shop and spoke to various shopkeepers of the locality about him and
      everybody said that he is a very sincere person though a bit over
      enthusiast; they added that he should not have done these things openly.
      He is a strict non-smoker and a very religious person, they said.

      We also visited Hauz Khas police station and wanted to speak too the
      vigilance department, which conducted the enquiry, but they refused to
      speak about the case saying that the matter was subjudice. In private, many
      police persons who knew about this case, felt that Ranjit Singh has been
      falsely accused. They vouch they there is no case against Ranjit Singh in
      the police record while some others about whom Ranjit had complained has
      criminal record.

      What the local police authorities say about Ranjit Singh :

      When we spoke to the police SHO of Ambedkarnagar Mr Bir Singh Yadav, he
      expressed his displeasure against Mr Ranjit Singh, saying that Ranjit
      Singh never approached him for the purpose of security. Mr Yadav added that
      Ranjit Singh never lodged any complaint with the local police. On
      questioning the SHP admitted that he was aware of Ranjit Singh s numerous
      complaints to various high ranking officials in the Home Ministry. Yadav
      felt strongly about Ranjit Singh not approaching him directly. Though
      there is no case against Ranjit Singh with local police yet his intentions
      were questionable, the police maintained. According to Police they
      received 5 complaint of selling smack from the area till date and the
      police have worked on all of them. Except for the current case there is no
      criminal record against Ranjit Singh with the local police. Mr Yadav was
      good enough to allow us scan his record files for the purpose of finding
      the antecedent of Ranjit Singh. Yadav also hinted that Ranjit Singh and
      his asscociates were political activists who used big names to make their
      presence felt. Yadav said that the police has the record that all these
      people were hand in glove and they only dissented because they seem to have
      monitory dispute over the issue. Yadav said that after his assuming charge
      of the office in the area, the incidents of selling smack have decreased.
      " we have raided their hide outs and we have been helped by the people. We
      also got them award from the higher authorities for helping the police."
      According to him, Ranjit Singh has no intention to help the police or the
      public. Yadav however admitted that he had never seen Ranjit Singh. He
      added that he would have taken action in the matter if Ranjit Singh had
      told him about his problems. We had no means to verify Mr Yadav s
      contentions.

      According to papers furnished to us by Ranjit Singh s family, all his
      complaint letters have been addressed to Police Commissioner, Chief
      Justice of Supreme Court, Home minister, Cabinet Secretary and Chief
      Minister but no where he has mentioned the fact that the local police is
      not helping him. In fact, in one of his letters he has admitted that local
      police took action on his complaint. He did not meet the police in respect
      of his complaint. SHO s version is that Ranjit Singh complained higher
      officials in order to have share >from those who were engaged in narcotics
      business in the area. Ranjit s family member informed us that the
      vigilance department had given him a clean chit.One wonders though for how
      could the department do so since it had not conducted any inquiry against
      him. However, the department officials informed that they had conducted
      inquiry against those people who were named by Ranjit Singh but they
      cannot give us the details about the same.

      Conclusion: The JJ Colony area of Madangir is known for such illegal
      activities. It is also important that while every body in the locality
      vouched for Ranjit Singh s integrity (that he was not in the trade) no
      body said that smack is being sold in the area. Though, the local police
      says Ranjit Singh did never contact them, the fact is that Ranjit Singh
      has been writing to senior police officials for long. He might have been
      wrong in not contacting the local police yet he has been writing to police
      and other authorities for years. His letter to Madan Lal Khurana, who was
      chief minister of Delhi was shown to us. Even some of the policemen in
      private confirmed that Ranjit Singh is an honest man and might have been
      framed in this case by the higher ups.

      It is difficult to accept the police version that Ranjit Singh is hand in
      glove with narcotic dealers ( those against whom he complained) for
      getting money from them as Ranjit has been writing to police for over four
      years. Justice delayed is justice denied and since the case is subjudice,
      we would not like to comment anything beyond the human rights aspect. We
      strongly feel that Ranjit Singh has been framed in this case.

      V.B.Rawat

      V.K.Ohri

      R.M.Pal

      SACW is an informal, independent & non-profit citizens wire service run by
      South Asia Citizens Web (http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex) since 1996. Dispatch
      archive from 1998 can be accessed at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/act/messages/ . To subscribe send a blank
      message to: <act-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>
      Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in materials carried in the posts do not