S A A N Post | 8 Sept. 00

  • Harsh Kapoor
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2000
      South Asians Against Nukes Post

      #1. On Pakistan Nuclear Waste Management
      #2. Nuclear safety and security in South Asia"
      #3. India: National Convention For Nuclear Disarmament & Peace
      #4. South Asia Anti Nuke Book Proposal Appeal

      #1.

      Pakistan Nuclear Waste Management

      Pakistan Federal Minister for Environment and Local Government Omar
      Asghar Khan reported that the Pakistani government was creating a nuclear
      regulatory board, which would oversee the transportation, storage, and
      geological disposal of nuclear waste.

      "Pak. to set up board on nuclear waste"
      http://www.indiaserver.com/thehindu/2000/08/28/stories/03280009.htm

      #2.

      Stanford University hosted a seminar on "Nuclear safety and security in
      South Asia" in Thailand on August 11-12, with participation by US,
      Indian, and Pakistani academics and government officials. They discussed
      their perspectives on nuclear decision-making and deterrence in South
      Asia, nuclear weapons safety, arms control verification technologies,
      confidence building measures, and future courses of action.

      "Dialogue with Pakistan"
      http://www.timesofindia.com/210800/21edit4.htm

      _____

      #3.

      NATIONAL CONVENTION
      for NUCLEAR DISARMAMENT
      and PEACE
      11-13 November 2000
      Delhi

      Dear Friend,

      The testing of nuclear weapons by India in May 1998 (followed by Pakistan)
      and its reprehensible entry into the Nuclear Club violated India's own
      principled stance against nuclear weapons for over 50 years. In protest
      against this volte-face by the government, many organisations and groups
      around the country, which have steadily supported global nuclear
      disarmament, intensified their campaign to halt and reverse the process.
      More than 40 cities have witnessed such protests. They have marched,
      demonstrated, campaigned, and lobbied for total nuclear disarmament in India
      and around the globe.

      The peace movement is now growing in India, but it has not yet had a
      nation-wide identity and co-ordinated presence on a large enough scale. To
      help co-ordinate this effort, representatives of several peace groups from
      different parts of India met in Nagpur on 26 March and again on 30 July 2000
      to plan a broad-based National Convention for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace.
      We expect about 500 delegates at the Convention including a strong
      contingent of peace activists from abroad.

      On behalf of the Organising Committee set up in that effort, we would like
      to invite you/a representative of your organisation to the National
      Convention that is going to be held in New Delhi from 11 to 13 November
      2000. Your presence at the Convention would be especially valuable as a
      representative of the global peace movement and the world-wide effort for
      nuclear restraint and disarmament. It will give you and peace activists from
      here an opportunity to share ideas and experiences.

      Unfortunately, owing a lack of funds, we will not be able to reimburse your
      travel expenses. We will however provide board, lodging and transport during
      your stay in Delhi, including some home-stays.

      The broad aims and objectives and an outline of the proposed programme along
      with a list of the sponsoring organisations (as on 25 August 2000) are
      appended to this letter.

      We shall shortly send you the Draft Charter for Nuclear Disarmament and
      Peace being prepared by the many organisations and individuals involved in
      the Nagpur meetings.

      We hope that the National Convention will clarify views, provide
      information, and help plan co-ordinated strategies as well as demonstrate
      the global solidarity of the peace movement. We appeal to you to participate
      in the Convention and contribute in all possible ways for its success.

      We look forward to hearing of your participation. All communications can be
      sent to the Secretariat located at the address given below.

      In Solidarity,

      N.D.Jayaprakash
      On behalf of the Organising Committee,
      National Convention for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace,
      C/o Delhi Science Forum,
      B -1, Second Floor, L.S.C.,
      J - Block, Saket,
      New Delhi 110017
      INDIA

      Tel. nos.+91-11-652-4324; +91-11-652-2053;
      Telefax: +91-11-686-2716
      E-mail: natcon2000@...
      ---------------------------
      Appendices:

      NATIONAL CONVENTION FOR NUCLEAR DISARMAMENT AND PEACE

      AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
      To consolidate and strengthen the campaign to prevent a nuclear
      holocaust.
      To educate the public on the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and
      the continuing suffering of victims of nuclear weapon tests.
       To work for a nuclear weapons-free world and to support all efforts
      in pursuit of this goal.
       To halt and roll back all nuclear weapons-related activities of
      India and Pakistan.
       To oppose assembly, induction and deployment of nuclear weapons.
       To oppose acquisition, development and deployment of nuclear
      weapons-specific delivery systems, including ballistic missiles.
       To oppose advanced research on and testing of nuclear weapons.
       To seek compensation and reparations to all victims for damage to
      health and the environment conditions by activities related to all aspects
      of fissile material production and use.
       To seek immediate no-first-use pledge by all the nuclear weapon
      powers.
       To seek immediate de-alerting of deployed nuclear weapons on
      hair-trigger alert.
       To seek immediate freeze on the entire global nuclear weapons
      stockpile.
       To seek a commitment from all nuclear weapon powers for time-bound
      nuclear disarmament through a process of rapid, systematic, and continuous
      reduction of their nuclear arsenals.
       To persuade the Government of India to return to the global nuclear
      disarmament agenda.

      PROGRAMME OUTLINE
      The National Convention shall discuss and debate the following issues before
      proceeding to adopt the Charter for Nuclear Disarmament & Peace and the
      Action Plan:
       History of the Nuclear Arms Race[*]
       History of Nuclear Disarmament Movements[*]
       Nuclear War-Fighting/'Star-War' Doctrines, Weapons Stockpile and
      Infrastructure
       The Case Against Nuclear Weapons with Special Reference to South
      Asia
       Social, Economic & Political Costs of the Nuclear Arms Race:
      Lessons for India and Pakistan
       Militarism, National Security and Common Security
       Role of the UN and the Non-Aligned Movement in Preventing Nuclear
      Holocaust
       Incremental Steps for Nuclear Arms Control and Disarmament:
      Lessons and Perspectives (No-First-Use, NPT, CTBT,
      De-alerting, Weapons Freeze, etc.)
       Strengthening the Movement for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace:
      International/Indian Experience[*]
       Nuclear Weapons and the Scientific Community
       Hazards of Fissile Material Production and Use: Human and
      Environmental Costs
       Nuclear Weapons and nuclear Power: The Connections
       Culture of Militarisation: Impact on Women, Minorities, Education,
      Media, etc.
       Educational Campaign Methods for Nuclear Disarmament
       Cultural Campaign Methods for Promoting Nuclear Disarmament
      (Choir, Theatre, Slide shows, Exhibitions, Videos, Films)
       Role of Political Parties in Promoting Nuclear Disarmament
       Organising the Peace Movement: Role of Sectoral Groups and
      Organisations
      (Artists, Doctors, Engineers, Environmentalists, Gandhians, Human Rights
      Activists, Journalists, Lawyers, Scientists, Students, Teachers, Trade
      Unionists, Women's Groups, Youth, etc.)
      [*] These are Plenary Sessions

      SPONSORING ORGANISATIONS
      As on August 25, 2000 those sponsoring the National Convention include:
       All India Peace and Solidarity Organisation (AIPSO)
       All India Peoples' Science Network (AIPSN)
       Anti-nuclear Movement, Nagpur
       Anumukti, Vedchhi (Gujarat)
       Bangalore Platform Against Nuclear Weapons, Bangalore [AIBEA
      (Canara Bank); Alternate Lawyers Forum; BEL Employees Union; Centre for
      Education and Documentation; Citizens Against Nuclear Energy; Documentation
      and Dissemination Centre for Disarmament Information; Federation of
      Voluntary Organisations for Rural Development; Gandhi Peace Centre; General
      Insurance Employees Union; Indian Scientists Against Nuclear Weapons;
      International Energy Initiative; Karnataka State Peace and Solidarity
      Organisation; Manasa; New Entity for Social Action; Peoples Union for Civil
      Liberties; Pipal Tree; Samvada; Science for Society; Anglo-Indian Guild;
      Visthar; Bharat Gyan Vigyan Samiti]
       Campaign Against Nuclear Weapons, Calcutta
       Chhattisgarh Anu Mukti Manch, Chattisgarh
       Delhi Forum, Delhi
       Delhi Science Forum, Delhi
       Ekta, Mumbai
       Gandhi Peace Foundation, Delhi
       Greenpeace-India
       India Peace Centre, Nagpur
       Indian Scientists Against Nuclear Weapons, Chennai
       Indian National Social Action Forum (INSAF)
       Indian Institute for Peace, Disarmament and Environmental
      Protection, Nagpur
       Indian Social Institute, Delhi
       Institute of Social Studies, Delhi
       Jharkhandi's Organisation Against Radiation, Jadugora
       Journalists Against Nuclear Weapons, Chennai
       Lok Abhiyan, Lucknow
       Movement in India for Nuclear Disarmament (MIND), Delhi
       Movement in India for Nuclear Disarmament (MIND), Mumbai
       National Alliance of Peoples Movements (NAPM), Delhi
       National Alliance of Peoples Movements (NAPM), Nagpur
       National Council of Churches in India (NCCI), Nagpur
       National Federation of Indian Women (NFIW)
       PEACE, Delhi
       People's Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), Delhi
       People's Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), Jaipur
       People's Union for Democratic Rights (PUDR), Delhi
       Physicians for Peace, Chennai
       Public Interest Research Centre, Delhi
       Saheli, Delhi
       SAHMAT, Delhi
       Student Christian Movement, Trivandrum
       Vikas Adhayan Kendra, Mumbai
       Wan Kamgar Sanghathna, Nagpur
       Youth for Nuclear Disarmament (YND), Delhi
       Youth for Unity and Voluntary Action (YUVA), Nagpur

      Natcon2000 Delhi
      PRE-REGISTRATION FORM
      (FILL IN CAPITALS)

      Name in full:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ.
      [First name] [Middle Name] [Surname]

      Sex:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ..Age:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ...

      Occupation/Profession:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ..

      Representing (Name of Organisation)ÖÖ:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ..

      Position in Organisation:ÖÖ...ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ.

      Mailing Address:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ..ÖÖ..ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

      ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ.ÖÖÖÖÖ..

      ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ..

      PIN Code:ÖÖÖ..ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ.Country:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

      Passport No.:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ...Place of Issue:ÖÖ.ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ.

      Date of Issue:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ...Valid Until:...ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

      Telephone: (Office)ÖÖ..:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ(Personal)ÖÖÖ..ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ..

      Fax:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖE-mail:ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

      Other than Plenary Sessions, name four Working Group Sessions that you would
      like to attend: [select on the basis of the Programme outline given above]:

      1ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ.ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ..

      2ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

      3ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

      4ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

      Place:
      (Signature)
      (Please fax or mail your pre-registration form to the Secretariat of the
      Convention)

      _____

      #4.

      OUT OF THE NUCLEAR SHADOW: A Fund-Raising Appeal from Zia Mian and Smitu
      Kothari

      Dear Friends,
      we are writing to ask for your support in raising funds to help with the
      productions costs of a book, to be published initially in India, that
      would serve as an introduction to the ideas and actions of the South
      Asian anti-nuclear and peace movement that emerged from opposition to
      the May 1998 nuclear tests. The book, which also contains extensive
      lists of films, organisations and books, would also be a resource and
      teaching guide both for the many peace groups within this movement and
      concerned people everywhere.

      The book, to be called OUT OF THE NUCLEAR SHADOW, (a preliminary table
      of contents is given below) will be published by Rainbow Press, a small
      non-profit publisher and Lokayan (which means "Dialogue of the People").
      Lokayan was started in 1980 as a way to bring together activists and
      intellectuals on the issues of development, democracy and
      decentralisation. In 1985 Lokayan received the Right Livelihood Award
      -- the alternative Nobel Prize as it is sometimes known [for the
      citation and an introduction to Lokayan see
      http://www.rightlivelihood.se/recip1985_3.html%5d.

      We would like to have the book ready for release at the first National
      Convention of Indian anti-nuclear groups, planned to be held in New
      Delhi between November 11 and 13, 2000. Work on keying in the text has
      started, and we are in the process of finalizing the contents and copy
      editing.

      We hope that "Out of The Nuclear Shadow" can make accessible in one
      place the arguments against the nuclear option in South Asia and
      highlight the diversity of voices, traditions, and approaches that are
      weaving
      themselves into an anti-nuclear movement in India and Pakistan. With the
      resource guide, we hope to encourage peace groups in the region to
      contact and learn from the experience and understanding of peace
      movements around the world.

      Individuals or Groups wishing to contribute to the project can do so by
      taking out an annual subscription to the Lokayan Bulletin. Please send a
      postal (money) order for $40 for individuals and $55 for
      groups/institions, made payable to LOKAYAN BULLETIN, to:
      Lokayan Bulletin
      13 Alipur Road
      Delhi, 110054
      India

      For further information, you can contact Zia Mian (zia@...) or
      Smitu Kothari (smitu@...).

      In peace,
      Zia Mian/ Smitu Kothari

      OUT OF THE NUCLEAR SHADOW: Table of Contents

      I. VOICES OF CONSCIENCE
      The Atom Bomb and Ahimsa -- Mahatma Gandhi
      India's Obsession, Our Choice -- Eqbal Ahmad
      India's Nuclear Nemesis -- Rajni Kothari
      Of Men, Women and Bombs --Amrita Basu and Rekha Basu
      The Epidemic of Nuclearism -- Ashis Nandy

      II. THE NUCLEAR BURDEN
      The Wages of Armageddon -- C. Rammanohar Reddy
      The Smile That Makes Generations Sick -- Surendra Gadekar
      Reaping the Whirlwind -- Kalpana Sharma
      Atomic Error -- Bittu Sahgal
      The Patriot Games -- Shiv Visvanathan
      Nuclear Bomb Attack Scenario. Bombing Bombay? -- MV Ramana
      Nuclear War in South Asia: Estimates of Casualties

      III. LIVING THE NUCLEAR LIFE
      The Climber's Case -- J Sri Raman
      Nostrums of Nuclearism -- K Venkataramanan
      The Uncounted Costs -- B. Baskar and R. Suresh
      Glorification of Nuclear Nationalism -- Zaffarullah Khan
      Of Science and Nuclear Weapons -- T Jayaraman
      Bombs, Missiles, and Pakistani Science -- Pervez Hoodbhoy
      Nuclear Power and Human Security -- Itty Abraham
      Do Nuclear Weapons Provide Security? -- MV Ramana
      Why Pakistan Should Renounce the Nuclear Option -- Zia Mian

      IV. THE UNQUIET SOUL
      War and Peace -- Anand Patwardhan
      A Report of the Anti-Nuclear Mission to India and Pakistan -- Yasuhiko
      Takeda
      Letter from Nagasaki: Dear Pakistanis... -- Dr Mariko Kitano
      A Pakistani in Hiroshima -- Beena Sarwar
      The Hard Choice -- AH Nayyar
      Education for Peace -- Lalita Ramdas
      Why Women Must Reject Nuclearism -- Kumkum Sangari, Neeraj Malik, Sheeba
      Chhachi and Tanika Sarkar

      V. DOCTRINES AND TREATIES
      Why India Should Sign the CTBT -- Praful Bidwai and Achin Vanaik
      India's Draft Nuclear Doctrine -- MIND
      Against the Nuclear War Doctrine -- MIND and Pakistan Peace Coalition

      VI. BUILDING THE MOVEMENT

      The Struggle for Nuclear Disarmament -- Praful Bidwai
      A Plea for a United Struggle for Peace -- IA Rehman
      Forging a Strategy -- Rohini Hensman

      VII. STATEMENTS
      Indian Scientists Speak out Against the Indian Nuclear Tests
      Scientific Workers' Forum, West Bengal
      Stop This 'Scientific' Jingoism: An Appeal by Journalists Against
      Nuclear Weapons
      Biologists in India for Nuclear Disarmament
      Anuvam Virodhi Andolan, Mumbai
      Sabarmati Declaration
      Join the Struggle -- Indian Writers and Poets
      A Call for Peace
      Opposing Nuclear Weapons -- Solidarity for Peace
      'Candle Light Vigil' Held at Wagha Border
      A Call for Revival of the Nuclear Process
      Against Nuclear Tests and Weapons
      Retired Pakistani, Indian and Bangladeshi Armed Forces Personnel
      Pakistan Peace Coalition Conference
      Condemning the Nuclear Arms Race -- Joint Action Committee for Rights,
      Lahore
      Marching for Peace in Nepal
      Call for a Nuclear- Free South Asia -- Sri Lankan Forum for Nuclear
      Disarmament
      Call for a United Movement Against Nuclearisation -- South Asia
      Solidarity Group
      Raise Your Voice Against the Nuclear Test in India and Pakistan -- South
      Asians Abroad
      Petition Against the Nuclearisation of South Asia
      Demanding Global Disarmament
      South Asian Magazine for Action and Reflection
      Condemning the Indian and Pakistani Government -- Des Pardesh,
      Toronto

      VIII. POEMS
      Goodbye Gandhi -- Narayan Desai
      I Will See If You Like It Or Not -- Amitava Kumar
      Dear Civilised People -- Sahir Ludhyaniwi
      Mankind's Error -- Khushal Habibi

      IX. RESOURCES
      Films on the Nuclear Issue
      Organisations Working Globally on Nuclear Issues
      Selected Nuclear Issues Bibliography

      _____

      #4.

      From: Isa Daudpota <...>