musician seeks practical advice

  • normandy67
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 28, 2001
      Hello<br><br>This may come across as a bit odd,
      but I thought it might be worth a try. I am not even
      certain if this is the appropriate place to ask this. I
      am a musician and music teacher. I live in an
      apartment and I own a digital piano on which I regularly
      practice using earphones for the purpose of not distrubing
      my neighbors above or below me. I thought this was
      an ideal arrangement as an apartment dweller.
      However, not long ago I was interrupted by a knock on the
      door. It was my downstairs neighbor who said she kept
      hearing some "strange drumming sounds" which she thought
      might be coming from my apartment. She was aparently
      sleeping in her living room directly below my living room
      where I have the keyboard because a visiting relative
      was using the bedroom. After some consideration we
      concluded that, while I was using earphones, the low thud
      of the keys of the instrument as they hit the bottom
      of the key bed when depressed was the apparent
      source of the drumming sound. Of course I was quite
      disappointed by this as I thought I had an ideal arrangement.
      The instrument was sitting on a bare part of the
      floor, the rest of the floor in that room being
      carpeted. However, I decided to obtain some floor mat
      material typically placed under carpets, an ample supply
      of which was given to me by a local carpet dealer
      from the trash pile, and I placed it under the entire
      length of the instrument hoping to dampen the vibrations
      which may travel through the instrument to the floor.
      That person was, even at the time, scheduled to move
      out and did so not long after. While I have had no
      complaints from the new tenant, I cannot help wondering if,
      in spite of the floor mat being placed under the
      instrument, if the sound of the keys being struck and hitting
      the key bed could still be airborn and therefore
      possibly heard and that a complaint could be forthcoming.
      I have read about people using a white noise
      machine to drown out noise from other apartments. I
      wondered if such a device might be helpful in covering the
      low sound made by the depressing of the keys on my
      instrument, so I located a scrambled channel on my TV set and
      turned up the volume hoping to achieve that effect. I do
      not know if it works, of course. Strange as this may
      sound, I was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts
      on the effectiveness, or lack of, of my efforts, and
      if they have any suggestions as to how I might
      attempt to deaden sounds coming from my apartment. I
      realize this may seem strange. Thanks.
    • rupsyco
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 11, 2002
        Sorry, Jacobo... Few chapters of a book that I have talk about
        underwater acoustics, but I guess that you can find similar info on
        your own.