Practical acoustics question -- advice requested

  • sch719
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 8:09 PM
      Greetings. I have an interesting problem, and I welcome all ideas
      on how to solve it.

      I just moved into a new apartment. Having previously lived along
      the runway approach to a major airport, I was looking forward to
      restful nights in my peaceful new location. After three nights it
      appears that my hopes are in danger of being squashed. My neighbor,
      just a wall away from my bedroom, snores profusely. It's actually
      worse than the planes, because a white noise generator I use can
      mask the sound of the planes fairly well. What I believe is
      happening is that this guy has a solid bed frame that is touching
      the baseboards. When he snores -- which is constantly through the
      night -- the entire wall vibrates at a low frequency. So, it's not
      really the snoring that is bugging me, it's the vibration. It's
      intermittent, which is vastly worse than a constant tone. This
      frequency is below the frequency of the white noise generator, so it
      is ineffective.

      Having ruled out contacting the mob or confronting this neighbor,
      whom I have not even met, about a problem he probably couldn't solve
      anyway, I'd like to find some simple device that will generate a low-
      volume, low-frequency masking tone. This should be a device that
      does not generate heat, does not burn much electricity and does not
      cost a lot of money. It seems to me that there should be an option
      or two. Any suggestions?

      Thanks!