Fast Guitarist

  • yusuf.cansiz
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2008
      Hey Guys there is a man who claims that he is the fastest guitarist
      in the world. The link is below

      http://revver.com/video/1207618/affiliate/265313/fastest-gitarist-in-the\
      -world/
      <http://revver.com/video/1207618/affiliate/265313/fastest-gitarist-in-th\
      e-world/>

      Regards!

    • JohnMasten
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2008
        To bad he can't play music.

      • Peter Sage
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2008
          OK, let's hear what *you* got!

          At 06:53 PM 10/5/2008, you wrote:

          >To bad he can't play music.
        • Andrew Perry
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
            I didn't get the earlier mails regarding this, but I am so tired of
            guitarists being "worshipped" for speed. I've played in bluegrass bands and
            blues bands, and still don't think that speed is the acme of playing guitar
            - or any music.

            It is most common in the "child prodigies" - of which I have seen a number -
            even including Birelli Lagrene - when he was very young - they leave me
            cold.

            More recently, I have seen Tommy Emmanuel - well I see lots of clever
            twiddling - but not much music.

            Give me expression and interpretation over speed any-time.

            Andrew Perry

            Singer-songwriter, guitarist, song re-modeller - and grumpy old man.

              At 06:08 AM 10/6/2008, Andrew Perry wrote:

              >I didn't get the earlier mails regarding this, but I am so tired of
              >guitarists being "worshipped" for speed. I've played in bluegrass bands and
              >blues bands, and still don't think that speed is the acme of playing guitar
              >- or any music.

              For some reason, I missed that first post as well - I thought John
              was replying to the post about the MAB video. Having now seen the
              Daniel Owen video, I agree that there was no tonal center and very
              little musicality.

              Not that shredding can't be applied to acoustic guitar, or that
              "Acoustic Metal" isn't an oxymoron, but is there a good reason why
              these two links were posted to this particular forum in the first place?
            • mrjimbo
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
                Hi Andrew,
                Couldn't agree more.. For me it's sort of like all that meat and no potatoes.. or is that no music.. :-)) but of course that's personal taste ....

                On the other hand .. a couple of years back I had occasion to meet and listen to Tommy Emmanuel.. I assure you he can play.. I think what happens is that when some of these guys get on stage it's maybe a bit more about sensationalism rather then real music.. . So it must be about the money I guess.. I think after doing that for a while one might get a bit screwed up .... well from a musical perspective anyway.. Truth is I'm speaking to something that I have no personal knowledge of.. LOL.. At any rate .. I have heard Mista Emmanuel play a few classical tunes and he did his version of Here comes the Sun ...that I thought was both beautiful and wonderful.. I have also seen him ham that song up too..by sliding Day Tripper into it....... but when he doesn't it's drop dead awsome..... actually I think it's so well done that if George H were in the front row...well he'd have a smile on his face maybe...... I think it's more about how musicians channel their musical energy.. is it about music or being a rock star....

                jimbo

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
                  --- In acousticguitaristguild@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Perry"
                  <andrew@...> wrote:

                  > I didn't get the earlier mails regarding this, but I am so tired of
                  > guitarists being "worshipped" for speed. I've played in bluegrass
                  bands and
                  > blues bands, and still don't think that speed is the acme of playing
                  guitar
                  > - or any music.
                  >
                  > It is most common in the "child prodigies" - of which I have seen a
                  number -
                  > even including Birelli Lagrene - when he was very young - they leave me
                  > cold.
                  >
                  > More recently, I have seen Tommy Emmanuel - well I see lots of clever
                  > twiddling - but not much music.
                  >
                  > Give me expression and interpretation over speed any-time.
                  >
                  > Andrew Perry
                  >
                  > Singer-songwriter, guitarist, song re-modeller - and grumpy old man.

                  so true-also, let's hear what ya got when the tone is not drenched in
                  distortion, compression and delay-
                  effects are very forgiving
                  that shit get's down right boring
                • Andrew Perry
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
                    Oh I'm sure he can play - as can Bob Brozman - when I saw him recently -but
                    he "showboated" all the time -we hardly got one piece all the way though.