Any Songwriters Out There?

  • jimmadsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 8:15 AM
      If so...what's the last song that you've written, what was it about
      and what compelled you to write it?

      Share your inspiration for the constructs of what makes a "good" song...
    • Noel Gama
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 8:48 PM
        --- In acousticguitaristguild@yahoogroups.com, jimmadsen <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > If so...what's the last song that you've written, what was it about
        > and what compelled you to write it?
        >
        > Share your inspiration for the constructs of what makes a "good" song...

        Hi,

        The following article was published in a national newspaper in India. It tells about my
        songwriting as well as the guitar and also 'who' inspired me to 'write':)
        BTW, it was David from this group who motivated me to start writing inspirational articles.

        FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION (Published in UTS' VOICE - December 2005)

        In his quest for freedom, local singer-songwriter Noël Gama discovers that between the
        Sword and the Pen is the Guitar.

        Nostalgia has gripped people the world over these days, like never before. You read it in
        the papers, see it on TV, hear it in conversations and relive it in your reminiscences.
        American guitar-manufacturer, Fender has just released a re-issue of their legendary
        Stratocaster electric guitar of the 70s with the punch-line: "Accept it, you are nostalgic
        about the 70s!" What date-stamp better than the music-genre of the period in question?
        When we listen to a song of days gone by, it almost always reminds us of a particular
        incident of that time or sometimes the other way round - speak of the 60s and one thinks
        of The Beatles and, for the people of this erstwhile Portuguese colony, Liberation Day!
        It was morning on December 18, 1961 but I thought it was night because all the windows
        of the house where my parents had sought refuge from the bombers flying overhead were
        shuttered and the electricity being cut off, candles provided light. During each of those
        bombing raids in the 48-hour siege, my parents shielded me with their bodies between a
        wardrobe and the inner wall of the house as if clinging to their only possession while all
        the little boy in me could think of was a chance to have a peek at the fighter planes!
        We soon got our freedom from the 400-year Portuguese rule and people began to adjust
        to the new system in general and currency in particular, to make out a new life from what
        could be salvaged. But while the sound of guns continued to echo in our ears in the
        aftermath, I suddenly realized that there was a silence that was much louder than this din
        and which I thought only I could hear. It was the absence of music. That's when I joined
        the elders in the search for lost possessions and I cannot forget that glorious moment
        when I finally found my treasure trove in the attic of my grandparents' house - a hand-
        wound HMV gramophone with a huge stack of 78 rpm shellac records!
        I would play the gramophone the first thing when I woke up in the morning and the last
        thing I did before going to bed. I used up box after box of 'needles' and cleaned the
        records with kerosene oil. One day I did not go to school, listening to records the whole
        day, trying to figure out parts of the songs and identifying the instruments. And my
        parents as well as my class teacher, approved of it! That was my first taste of freedom.
        It was only when I turned 15 that I found an old man who had been a church violinist
        before he took up to the bottle, who agreed to teach me music theory in the afternoons
        while he supervised the transplantation of the rice crop in ankle-deep water, sharing his
        umbrella under the pouring rain, notebook in hand. No, we did not have printed music
        sheets so he wrote melodies in ink in my notebook and made me sing pieces I had never
        heard before. When I could sing a difficult genre called 'Motet' in a matter of a few months,
        he sent me off on my own with the advice to buy an instrument, preferably a violin if I
        could afford one. It was here that my mother, who used to sing harmony in the church
        choir as a girl, stepped in and suggested that I take up the guitar because girls in her time
        loved guitar-playing boys! To my good luck, a professional guitarist from Amsterdam who
        came to India to learn to play the sitar visited my hometown for a few weeks and gave me
        7 lessons that made the difference. That was my first guitar, back then in the 70s and have
        had a line-up of 11 guitars along my road to freedom.
        I have also done my share of song writing - lyrics were written first and then the music
        was composed on the guitar. I started composing in the late 80s only when I learnt that
        Stevie Wonder was blind and that the Beatles did not know solfeggio when they started
        out.
        I believe that music per se is written for the ears and solfeggio, tabs, etc. are but means to
        an end. I also believe that music is a means of experiencing as well as expressing
        freedom. And most of all, I believe that the guitar is a celebration of this freedom because
        you are free to 'do-your-own-thing, any-which-way'!
      • jimmadsen
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 9:45 PM
          Hey Noel...very insightful and thanks for sharing!

          Where did you grow up that was under Portuguese rule?

          i thought India was an English state until independence in the 40s or 50s?

          Also - where in India are you from? I've been to Delhi and Agra and
          trekked in the Himilayas - but that's all north and know nothing about
          the southern 3/4 of the country!

          Thanks...

          Jim

          --- In acousticguitaristguild@yahoogroups.com, "Noel Gama"