Re: [Acoustic Guitarist Guild] Set up?

  • Bill Polhemus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2005
      > Would it be of benefit to have my guitar professionally set up by one
      > of the local shops? I'm a beginner who owns a Yamaha FS-01,...

      I'm a long-time amateur who owns a couple of Martins, a couple of Taylors
      and a couple of higher-end Takamines--and I take mine to the "pro shop" to
      get them set-up when the need arises.

      As far as "being my own guitar tech," I limit myself to changing my own
      strings and that's about it. I just don't have the time to learn the
      rudiments of tweaking the guitar's set-up so I have the pro do it.

      I've gotten criticized for it ("I'd never let anyone else touch this
      guitar! If you're gonna play, you oughta learn how to do your own
      tech-work...") but since I'm in my late 40s I long ago stopped listening
      to such folks.

      Do what makes you feel most comfortable.

      It's funny: I do my own Linux server administration, and that has taken
      years of trial and error and asking questions and making mistakes, etc.,
      to figure out. That's similar I guess to someone doing their own guitar
      tech, but different strokes for different folks.