Static through pickguard/finger rest

  • Albert Wrigglesworth
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2005
      Hi folks. I do realize it's been a while, and this is an accoustic
      guitar club. But as we know, now-a-days, a goodly portion of
      accoustic guitars come now with a built in pickup, be it bridge or
      microphone style. this little tip is more for the person who has
      some sort of electronics attached to the pick guard/finger rest,
      such as on an arch top (with a pickup or two)jazz style guitar.

      I have had a problem with static through the wiring, generally when
      I rub my fingers on the guard (that's where my dials are). Some
      folks fold all their finger under and probably don't suffer this
      little dilema. But for those who do, even for elctric guitars
      (Strats are netorious)I came across a neat little trick. Take a
      dryer sheet (bounce or equivelant) and rub it on your guard (just in
      the area where you rub your finger(s)). It will leave a slight
      opaque film (not really that noticeable) on the guard. Voila!!! No
      more static whilst strumming your guitar. Sorry!!! this doesn't
      help with the insesant HUMMMMM you will get with electrics on your
      guitar. That requires shielding (for those with solid bodies).

      When it wears off, you'll know...just repeat the process. I've gone
      over 20 hrs. of play off and on amp. and no static so far.

      The only other solution to the plastic guard, is go wood. There is
      some really nice models out there to choose from. See your local
      music supply store.

      Thanks for the listen;
      Take care and God Bless
      Bro AJ (awrigglesworth)