Nut Work Advice Needed

  • T-Von
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2004
      Happy New Year Everyone,

      As a guitar builder on a very small scale I have never been comfortable
      doing nut work. Can some of you that are doing your own nut work point me
      toward a good source on technique and also what type of files do you
      suggest. Most of the nut files I've run across are pretty expensive. Are
      there any general purpose files that you can buy at a place like Home Depot
      that would do the job? I did come across a tool that welders use to clean
      their torches tips:

      http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14250/css/14250_106.htm

      I bought one and it worked okay except the wires weren't attached very well
      to the device and when I went to use it to slot the nut it was hard to hold
      on to. Any advice would be really appreciated.

      Thanx In Advance!

      __________________________

      T-Von

      http://www.monteallums.com
    • jeff maher
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2004
        Check out Frank Ford's FRETS.COM site. He has a luthier's section
        with photos and explanations of how to set up a nut...very thorough.
        I've used his technique and it works great (the 'tap' test to 'zero'
        the grooves, etc.)

        --- In acousticguitaristguild@yahoogroups.com, T-Von <tvon@m...>
        wrote:
        > Happy New Year Everyone,
        >
        > As a guitar builder on a very small scale I have never been
        comfortable
        > doing nut work. Can some of you that are doing your own nut work
        point me
        > toward a good source on technique and also what type of files do you
        > suggest. Most of the nut files I've run across are pretty
        expensive. Are
        > there any general purpose files that you can buy at a place like
        Home Depot
        > that would do the job? I did come across a tool that welders use
        to clean
        > their torches tips:
        >
        > http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14250/css/14250_106.htm
        >
        > I bought one and it worked okay except the wires weren't attached
        very well
        > to the device and when I went to use it to slot the nut it was hard
        to hold
        > on to. Any advice would be really appreciated.
        >
        > Thanx In Advance!
        >
        > __________________________
        >
        > T-Von
        >
        > http://www.monteallums.com
      • Andrew Perry
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2004
          I believe that Stew-Mac sell a set of nut files. In my out of
          date catalogue they sell a set of five for about $35.
          I'd tend to trust their stuff.

          Andy (Limey)

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • T-Von
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2004
            > Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:13:31 -0000
            > From: "jeff maher" <post-maher@...>
            > Subject: Re: Nut Work Advice Needed
            >
            > Check out Frank Ford's FRETS.COM site. He has a luthier's section
            > with photos and explanations of how to set up a nut...very thorough.
            > I've used his technique and it works great (the 'tap' test to 'zero'
            > the grooves, etc.)

            Thanx Jeff,

            That's a great site. The wealth of info is impressive. Just what I was
            looking for. Thanx so much for sharing.

            ___________________________

            T-Von

            http://www.monteallums.com
          • T-Von
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2004
              > Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:34:26 -0700
              > From: "Micheal Kingsley" <Micheal@...>
              > Subject: Re: Nut Work Advice Needed
              >
              > Hello T-Von-
              > I looked at some at Stew-Mac that I would like to get, but like you thought
              > they were a little too expensive...so I went down to my local Harbor Freight
              > and found a set for about $3.00 that I use. Various sizes and shapes. You
              > might try looking there. Here is their web site:
              >
              > http://www.harborfreight.com/
              >
              > I hope this helps.
              >
              > BlueRocco

              Hi Michael,

              Great info. I find it pretty amazing how cheap some of this stuff is and it
              works as well as the more expensive tools. I haven't found them yet. I
              might give them a call Monday and see what they have.

              Thanx Again!

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2004
                Hello:

                How do I quit this group?

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2004
                  Just go to the link at the bottom of your e-mail and
                  remove yourself

                  --- Mark <upasanida@...> wrote:

                  > Hello:
                  >
                  > How do I quit this group?

                  > removed]

                  http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
                • RayK
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
                    wrote:
                    > Happy New Year Everyone,
                    >
                    > As a guitar builder on a very small scale I have never been
                    comfortable
                    > doing nut work. Can some of you that are doing your own nut work
                    point me
                    > toward a good source on technique and also what type of files do you
                    > suggest. Most of the nut files I've run across are pretty
                    expensive. Are
                    > there any general purpose files that you can buy at a place like
                    Home Depot
                    > that would do the job? I did come across a tool that welders use
                    to clean
                    > their torches tips:
                    >
                    > http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14250/css/14250_106.htm
                    >
                    > I bought one and it worked okay except the wires weren't attached
                    very well
                    > to the device and when I went to use it to slot the nut it was hard
                    to hold
                    > on to. Any advice would be really appreciated.
                    Well, you did say "any advice."<grin> The torch file solution sounds
                    pretty ingenious. I'm surprised about the quality you mentioned. If
                    it's because the wire is loose in the holder and hard to control you
                    might want to consider removing the wires from the existing handle
                    and constructing a small wooden handle for each.

                    Also, you may get some other good tips at these groups:

                    Clear Skies! Ray.
                  • Lance Kragenbrink
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
                      I to build on a very small scale, and like you have looked for a decent set
                      of nut files, I finely caved in and bought the set that stewmac sells, IIRC
                      they were like 30 bucks apice, each file does 2 different sizes. They were
                      well worth the investment.

                      Lance Kragenbrink
                      www.kragenbrinkguitars.com
                      > As a guitar builder on a very small scale I have never been
                      comfortable
                      > doing nut work. Can some of you that are doing your own nut work
                      point me
                      > toward a good source on technique and also what type of files do you
                      > suggest. Most of the nut files I've run across are pretty
                      expensive. Are
                      > there any general purpose files that you can buy at a place like
                      Home Depot
                      > that would do the job? I did come across a tool that welders use
                      to clean
                      > their torches tips:
                      >
                      > http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14250/css/14250_106.htm
                      >
                      > I bought one and it worked okay except the wires weren't attached
                      very well
                      > to the device and when I went to use it to slot the nut it was hard
                      to hold
                      > on to. Any advice would be really appreciated.
                      Well, you did say "any advice."<grin> The torch file solution sounds
                      pretty ingenious. I'm surprised about the quality you mentioned. If
                      it's because the wire is loose in the holder and hard to control you
                      might want to consider removing the wires from the existing handle
                      and constructing a small wooden handle for each.

                      Also, you may get some other good tips at these groups:

                      Clear Skies! Ray.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor