Acom 1000 failure

  • pe1czg
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 12 4:53 AM
      Hi all,

      This morning I had a strange failuer with my acom 1000: after the 2.5 min heating period I got A SB0 something error on the display and the unit was shutting itself down. I only could see the SB0 and it was too fast to see the rest. The auto signature was: 1ASB2B. Anyone know what this means and also where could I find the excel application from Acom to "decode" the signatures? I can email ACOM but maybe someone has it alreday and could forward it to me.

      Thanks, 73's Ger PE1CZG
    • stevehurstg8lik2003
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 12 5:11 AM
        Ger,
        According to the downloaded handbook I have with me-your indication 1ASB2B
        1A is the event that is being reported
        SB2 means tests made during standby after the warmup period
        B means output relay closed

        I think its trying to tell you the vacuum relay is faulty,at least thats my interpretation.
        Good luck!

        regards, Steve G8LIK
      • Robert Naumann
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 12 5:16 AM
          Perhaps just his PTT line is closed? Easy enough to test.

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 12 5:42 AM
            Bob, yes indeed!
            However if the relay is faulty and out of warranty I note that Max Gain Systems in the USA sell brand new Gigavac GH-1 26V coil vacuum relays,the equivalent to whats in the Acom at $69.
            I know they ship fast internationally +reliably as I bought some ex equipment but hi pot tested (Jennings) spares from there before....just in case.

            73's Steve

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 15 11:36 AM
              Sorry for late reply but was abroad last days. Indeed the PTT line was closed all the time during warming up and probably also during the self-tests. I use the FT2000 here and power off/on did "reset" the PTT and all back to normal.
              Reading all the other posts here regarding a vacuum-relay failure makes me also wonder if the relay is damaged or is it just the sensitive protection circuitry? Anyone tried the bad vacum-relay after removing it from the Acom if it is still functional? and what is wrong with it; contacts burned out or?

              73's Ger PE1CZG

              --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Naumann" <W5OV@...> wrote:

              > Perhaps just his PTT line is closed? Easy enough to test.

            • pa5cw
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 22 3:52 AM
                Ger,

                Ik heb de vorige mails niet gezien, maar ik hebv zelf tr4b fout gehad, relais was defect.

                PA0O heeft hetzelfde probleem gehad, het schijnt vaker voor te komen dat het relais defect raakt.

                Als het goed is heb je 2 jaar gearantie, je kunt vragen of je het relais zelf mag vervangen, je moet het oude dan opsturen.
                73 Kees PA5CW

                --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, "pe1czg" <ghoogendijk@...> wrote:

                > Sorry for late reply but was abroad last days. Indeed the PTT line was closed all the time during warming up and probably also during the self-tests. I use the FT2000 here and power off/on did "reset" the PTT and all back to normal.
                > Reading all the other posts here regarding a vacuum-relay failure makes me also wonder if the relay is damaged or is it just the sensitive protection circuitry? Anyone tried the bad vacum-relay after removing it from the Acom if it is still functional? and what is wrong with it; contacts burned out or?
                >
                > 73's Ger PE1CZG
                >
                > --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Naumann" <W5OV@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Perhaps just his PTT line is closed? Easy enough to test.

              • Kees - pa7two
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 22 2:08 PM
                  Gebruik je veel BK-IN Ger?

                  Gigavac relais zijn de vervangers. http://www.gigavac.com/products/relays/ham/index.htm de GH-1 met Special prijsjes voor ... HAMs :-)

                  Vy 73, de Kees.

                  Member of an all HAM family. ** CW IS! ** DX IS! **

                  AmateurRadio : PA7TWO - M5TWO Locator: JO22jp.

                  Statement of the year: THE HECK WITH YOUR MICROPHONE, I'M PAWING BRASS!

                  To: acom-list@yahoogroups.com
                  From: pa5cw@...
                  Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:52:31 +0000

                  Ger,

                  Ik heb de vorige mails niet gezien, maar ik hebv zelf tr4b fout gehad, relais was defect.

                  PA0O heeft hetzelfde probleem gehad, het schijnt vaker voor te komen dat het relais defect raakt.

                  Als het goed is heb je 2 jaar gearantie, je kunt vragen of je het relais zelf mag vervangen, je moet het oude dan opsturen.

                  73 Kees PA5CW

                  --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, "pe1czg" <ghoogendijk@...> wrote:

                  > Sorry for late reply but was abroad last days. Indeed the PTT line was closed all the time during warming up and probably also during the self-tests. I use the FT2000 here and power off/on did "reset" the PTT and all back to normal.

                  > Reading all the other posts here regarding a vacuum-relay failure makes me also wonder if the relay is damaged or is it just the sensitive protection circuitry? Anyone tried the bad vacum-relay after removing it from the Acom if it is still functional? and what is wrong with it; contacts burned out or?

                  > 73's Ger PE1CZG

                  > --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Naumann" <W5OV@> wrote:

                  > > Perhaps just his PTT line is closed? Easy enough to test.

                • pe1czg
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 23 12:48 PM
                    Thanks both Kees'ses for the reply. I purchased my Acom more then 2 years ago so no warranty anymore.
                    I don't use full break-in only semi break-in. Question for PA5CW: did you had to replace the vacuum-relay right after the error message or did this message showed up a couple of times before you had to replace it? Since the error message I did not saw it again and the AMP is working like normal. The reason for this question is did the relais fails/stucks immidiatly or did you get some " pre-warnings" first. With pre-warning I mean the TR4B error. If the vacuum-relay already fails after 2 years then I think it's a really weak point in the design. I'm not using the ACOM daily and with periods not even weekly. Semi-breakin is maybe used average one hour per month in total, maybe even less.
                    I don't like the rattling sound of the relais when using full breakin and I'm also convinced that this may contribute to a broken relais earlier then when you only use the semi-breakin.

                    Thanks for the replies, best 73's Ger PE1CZG

                    --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, Kees - pa7two <pa7two@...> wrote:

                    > Gebruik je veel BK-IN Ger?
                    >
                    > Gigavac relais zijn de vervangers. http://www.gigavac.com/products/relays/ham/index.htm de GH-1 met Special prijsjes voor ... HAMs :-)
                    >

                    > Vy 73, de Kees.
                    >
                    > Member of an all HAM family. ** CW IS! ** DX IS! **
                    >
                    > AmateurRadio : PA7TWO - M5TWO Locator: JO22jp.
                    >
                    > Statement of the year: THE HECK WITH YOUR MICROPHONE, I'M PAWING BRASS!
                    >

                    > To: acom-list@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: pa5cw@...
                    > Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:52:31 +0000
                    > Subject: [acom-list] Re: Acom 1000 failure

                    > Ger,
                    >

                    > Ik heb de vorige mails niet gezien, maar ik hebv zelf tr4b fout gehad, relais was defect.
                    >

                    > PA0O heeft hetzelfde probleem gehad, het schijnt vaker voor te komen dat het relais defect raakt.
                    >

                    > Als het goed is heb je 2 jaar gearantie, je kunt vragen of je het relais zelf mag vervangen, je moet het oude dan opsturen.
                    >
                    > 73 Kees PA5CW
                    >

                    > --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, "pe1czg" <ghoogendijk@> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Sorry for late reply but was abroad last days. Indeed the PTT line was closed all the time during warming up and probably also during the self-tests. I use the FT2000 here and power off/on did "reset" the PTT and all back to normal.
                    >
                    > > Reading all the other posts here regarding a vacuum-relay failure makes me also wonder if the relay is damaged or is it just the sensitive protection circuitry? Anyone tried the bad vacum-relay after removing it from the Acom if it is still functional? and what is wrong with it; contacts burned out or?
                    >

                    > > 73's Ger PE1CZG
                    >

                    > > --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Naumann" <W5OV@> wrote:
                    >

                    > > > Perhaps just his PTT line is closed? Easy enough to test.

                  • pe1czg
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 23 1:51 PM
                      Thanks both Kees'ses for the reply. I purchased my Acom more then 2 years ago so no warranty anymore.
                      I don't use full break-in only semi break-in. Question for PA5CW: did you had to replace the vacuum-relay right after the error message or did this message showed up a couple of times before you had to replace it? Since the error message I did not saw it again and the AMP is working like normal. The reason for this question is did the relais fails/stucks immidiatly or did you get some " pre-warnings" first. With pre-warning I mean the TR4B error. If the vacuum-relay already fails after 2 years then I think it's a really weak point in the design. I'm not using the ACOM daily and with periods not even weekly. Semi-breakin is maybe used average one hour per month in total, maybe even less.
                      I don't like the rattling sound of the relais when using full breakin and I'm also convinced that this may contribute to a broken relais earlier then when you only use the semi-breakin.

                      Thanks for the replies, best 73's Ger PE1CZG

                      --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, Kees - pa7two <pa7two@...> wrote:

                      > Gebruik je veel BK-IN Ger?
                      >
                      > Gigavac relais zijn de vervangers. http://www.gigavac.com/products/relays/ham/index.htm de GH-1 met Special prijsjes voor ... HAMs :-)
                      >

                      > Vy 73, de Kees.
                      >
                      > Member of an all HAM family. ** CW IS! ** DX IS! **
                      >
                      > AmateurRadio : PA7TWO - M5TWO Locator: JO22jp.
                      >
                      > Statement of the year: THE HECK WITH YOUR MICROPHONE, I'M PAWING BRASS!
                      >

                      > To: acom-list@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: pa5cw@...
                      > Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:52:31 +0000
                      > Subject: [acom-list] Re: Acom 1000 failure

                      > Ger,
                      >

                      > Ik heb de vorige mails niet gezien, maar ik hebv zelf tr4b fout gehad, relais was defect.
                      >

                      > PA0O heeft hetzelfde probleem gehad, het schijnt vaker voor te komen dat het relais defect raakt.
                      >

                      > Als het goed is heb je 2 jaar gearantie, je kunt vragen of je het relais zelf mag vervangen, je moet het oude dan opsturen.
                      >
                      > 73 Kees PA5CW
                      >

                      > --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, "pe1czg" <ghoogendijk@> wrote:
                      >

                      > > Sorry for late reply but was abroad last days. Indeed the PTT line was closed all the time during warming up and probably also during the self-tests. I use the FT2000 here and power off/on did "reset" the PTT and all back to normal.
                      >
                      > > Reading all the other posts here regarding a vacuum-relay failure makes me also wonder if the relay is damaged or is it just the sensitive protection circuitry? Anyone tried the bad vacum-relay after removing it from the Acom if it is still functional? and what is wrong with it; contacts burned out or?
                      >

                      > > 73's Ger PE1CZG
                      >

                      > > --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Naumann" <W5OV@> wrote:
                      >

                      > > > Perhaps just his PTT line is closed? Easy enough to test.

                    • pe1czg
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 23 2:07 PM
                        -Thanks both Kees'ses for the reply. I purchased my Acom more then 2 years ago so no warranty anymore.
                        I don't use full break-in only semi break-in. Question for PA5CW: did you had to replace the vacuum-relay right after the error message or did this message showed up a couple of times before you had to replace it? Since the error message I did not saw it again and the AMP is working like normal. The reason for this question is did the relais fails/stucks immidiatly or did you get some " pre-warnings" first. With pre-warning I mean the TR4B error. If the vacuum-relay already fails after 2 years then I think it's a really weak point in the design. I'm not using the ACOM daily and with periods not even weekly. Semi-breakin is maybe used average one hour per month in total, maybe even less.
                        I don't like the rattling sound of the relais when using full breakin and I'm also convinced that this may contribute to a broken relais earlier then when you only use the semi-breakin.

                        Thanks for the replies, best 73's Ger PE1CZG

                        -- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, Kees - pa7two <pa7two@...> wrote:

                        > Gebruik je veel BK-IN Ger?
                        >
                        > Gigavac relais zijn de vervangers. http://www.gigavac.com/products/relays/ham/index.htm de GH-1 met Special prijsjes voor ... HAMs :-)
                        >

                        > Vy 73, de Kees.
                        >
                        > Member of an all HAM family. ** CW IS! ** DX IS! **
                        >
                        > AmateurRadio : PA7TWO - M5TWO Locator: JO22jp.
                        >
                        > Statement of the year: THE HECK WITH YOUR MICROPHONE, I'M PAWING BRASS!
                        >

                        > To: acom-list@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: pa5cw@...
                        > Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:52:31 +0000
                        > Subject: [acom-list] Re: Acom 1000 failure

                        > Ger,
                        >

                        > Ik heb de vorige mails niet gezien, maar ik hebv zelf tr4b fout gehad, relais was defect.
                        >

                        > PA0O heeft hetzelfde probleem gehad, het schijnt vaker voor te komen dat het relais defect raakt.
                        >

                        > Als het goed is heb je 2 jaar gearantie, je kunt vragen of je het relais zelf mag vervangen, je moet het oude dan opsturen.
                        >
                        > 73 Kees PA5CW
                        >

                        > --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, "pe1czg" <ghoogendijk@> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Sorry for late reply but was abroad last days. Indeed the PTT line was closed all the time during warming up and probably also during the self-tests. I use the FT2000 here and power off/on did "reset" the PTT and all back to normal.
                        >
                        > > Reading all the other posts here regarding a vacuum-relay failure makes me also wonder if the relay is damaged or is it just the sensitive protection circuitry? Anyone tried the bad vacum-relay after removing it from the Acom if it is still functional? and what is wrong with it; contacts burned out or?
                        >

                        > > 73's Ger PE1CZG
                        >

                        > > --- In acom-list@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Naumann" <W5OV@> wrote:
                        >

                        > > > Perhaps just his PTT line is closed? Easy enough to test.

                      • Andrey Stoev
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 23 5:14 PM
                          I posted on the subject a couple of hours ago but seems that the post was lost (sorry if it shows up and "doubles").
                          In the early production life of ACOM 1000, they used to use Russian vacuum relays. As with most Russian stuff - they were very rugged and pretty good but without consistency in the quality control - i.e. some were very good (my amp has one of those) and some were junk and broke down soon after. There wasn't good way to tell - just time and usage. Anyway - since the supply of the Russian relays is not reliable ACOM changed the relay.
                          The newer amps are equipped with Gigavac GH-1. These relays are OK but are made in China so more or less - same thing applies (overall better than the average Russian relay). Of course use of full break-in will shorten the life / expose problems with the quality of the relay.
                          If I had to change the relay, I would use Kilovac HC-1 (or even better HC-3). Kilovac relays are a bit more expensive but far better and more reliable than the Ham version from Gigavac (GH-1). Installing the relay is not a small job so if you find a Kilovac/Tyco relay for a reasonable price - go ahead and install the Kilovac relay.

                          73
                          de Andrey, AE1Z

                        • Thomas Herrmann
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 23 10:06 PM
                            hi,
                            in my case the error message appeared rather seldom at the beginning. Later on it appaered from time to time and time slots became shorter and shorter. Before the brake down the failure came up several times during a hour and finally suck.

                            By the way: thanks for all replays regarding the coil selection. I learnd a lot and allready ordered a new relay for replacement.

                            73 de Thomas, DL1AMQ

                          • pe1czg
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 24 8:03 AM
                              Thomas,

                              Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where you did order the relay and what the price was/is? I'm going to order a replacement as well but found sources in the USA sofar.

                              Thanks and best 73's Ger PE1CZG

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 24 1:20 PM
                                Hello Ger,
                                I had to order the relay GH1-HAM at GigaVac direct ; the european dealer (HVC Technologie GmbH) has no access onto (cheeper) HAM-version relays. They gave my order to GigaVac and they offered for 77,- US$ (VISA accepted).
                                If the relay is delivered I will keep You informed about additional costs, if so.
                                73 de Thomas, DL1AMQ.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 24 2:36 PM
                                  Thanks Thomas for keeping me updated, 77$ is not a bad deal.
                                  I want to order the GH1 myself and of course interested in your expirience. Hope it's not to complicated to exchange the vacuum-relay.

                                • Andrey Stoev
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 29 1:08 PM
                                    I've uploaded instructions for Vacuum Relay replacement in ACOM 1000, along with some pictures of the relay assembly and pinout.
                                    All files are located in group's Files section in VacRel_A1000 folder.
                                    These files are courtesy of ACOM.
                                    Enjoy!

                                    73
                                    de Andrey, AE1Z