Budget Hearing Resolution

  • dzavala1@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2009
      Hello Everyone,

      Given that budget hearings are scheduled for this weekend, the timing for building a student coalition opposing budget hearings on weekends may be futile for the upcoming fiscal year.

      Nonetheless, as Leticia noted, we can continue to work to improve the budget process for next year.

      If the ACLU would like to present a resolution to other student organizations, it is necessary that our organization officially endorse it through a vote. Nonetheless, we could continue to build support with organizations, but I would advise that we have something to present other organization rather than simply talking about it.

      This way, we have a starting point and something to work with that we can amend later.

      I posted a memorandum of the resolution in the yahoo group's "file" section.

      Here's the content of the memo with the resolution:

      In an effort to improve student body self-government of the David A. Clarke School of Law, the ACLU-DCPLS presents the following resolution in support of holding budget hearings on weekdays:

      WHEREAS, HOLDING BUDGET HEARINGS DURING REGULAR UNIVERSITY WORK DAYS WOULD GREATLY ACCOMMODATE STUDENT SCHEDULES, FAMILIAL, RELIGIOUS, SOCIAL AND OTHER PERSONAL OBLIGATIONS, AND FACILITATE GREATER STUDENT INVOLVEMENT IN THE BUDGETETARY PROCESS; NOW

      THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, THAT BUDGET HEARINGS SHALL BE HELD DURING REGULAR WORK DAYS OF THE DAVID A. CLARKE SCHOOL OF LAW AT A TIME MOST ACCOMMODATING TO THE STUDENT BODY.

      With your support the ACLU-DCPLS will present the resolution to the Senate of the Student Bar Association for ratification.

      ------

      dago