SBA Reform (Let's pass a Resolution Opposing Saturday Budget Hearing)

  • dzavala1@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23 11:29 AM
      Hello ACLU'ers,

      The budget process has been at the center of controversy every year, and I have done quite a bit of advocating for students' rights under our Charter. As a result there have been many successes, however, much remains to be done.

      In an effort to take a more united stance against acts of limiting or otherwise curtailing student involvement in the SBA, especially the budget process, I would like to propose another advocacy tool to bring improved SBA and budgetary processes.

      !Taking the Lead!

      I would propose that the ACLU club make a motion to pass a resolution opposing the Saturday budget hearing, attached with recommendations for the budget committee to act on. Moreover, we should speak to other organizations or get endorsements therefrom to build support and make it known to the SBA that the student body is dissatisfied with the budget and other SBA processes.

      Under our current bylaws, we can have online votes, so this is something we can move on this week before the budget hearing and share with the student body by posting it to the message groups.

      Bitching isn't enough, let's take action! What better organization to take the lead on protecting students' rights than the ACLU!

      dago