First Meeting and Officer Elections

  • ajweaver83
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2009
      Hello everybody,

      Welcome to the ACLU at DCSL yahoo Group and thank you very much for taking an interest in our organization. We will be holding our first organizational meeting on Wednesday, August 26, in room 202 from 12:30 PM until 1:30 PM. During this meeting we will discuss the upcoming D.C. Statehood event on September 9th, the organization bylaws, membership requirements, and any other housekeeping items as necessary. Also, we will be holding officer elections at this time (see below for brief position descriptions). If you would like to run for a particular position but will be unable to attend the meeting, please email me (ajweaver83@...) with your name, position desired, and an extremely brief (5 sentences, no run-ons) statement on why you would be a good choice for the position and I will nominate you at the meeting.

      That's about it folks. Please feel free to email me with any questions or thoughts and I look forward to seeing you all at the meeting. Best regards, and please do enjoy your first weekend of the semester. It may be the only one that you do.

      - Aaron Weaver
      Interim Secretary
      ACLU at DCSL
      J.D. Candidate, 2011

      President
      * Presides over and conducts meetings
      * Keeps members and discussion on track
      * Appoints committees, event planners/managers as necessary
      * Coordinates organization activities
      * Plans events with the assistance of the other officers
      * Serves as the primary representative of the organization

      Vice-President
      * Assists the president in the discharge of duties
      * Is prepared to assume duties of the president if needed.
      * Oversees all project and event work
      * Presides over meetings in the absence of the president

      Secretary
      * Prepares and reads the minutes of the meetings
      * Prepares meeting agendas in concert with the president
      * Counts and records votes when taken
      * Sends out meeting notices and manages the Yahoo group.

      Treasurer
      * Works with SBA on all funding matters
      * Keeps financial records for organization
      * Oversees any fund-raising activities and collection of dues

      Historian
      * Maintains an accurate and up-to-date history of the organization