PROTEST EVENT

  • Samantha Scown
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2011
      Here's an invite to the event I was talking about. Perhaps you could pass it along to anyone you think might be interested. Since the planning meeting, a Ugandan Gay Activist has been bludgeoned to death and his funeral disrupted by an Anglican priest shouting anti-gay attacks, underscoring the "fierce urgency of now." Thanks a lot. Don
      Breakfast Without Bigotry:
      A Response to "The Family's" National Prayer Breakfast
      Thursday, February 3, 2011
      6:00 AM -8:00 AM
      On the Sidewalk Outside the Washington Hilton Hotel
      1919 Connecticut Avenue NW
      Washington, DC 20009
      Q Street Exit -- Dupont Circle Metro

      Join us as we protect our lives and speak up for those who can't for fear of imprisonment and murder.

      In the wake of the murder of Ugandan gay activist, David Kato, and the pending deportation of Brenda Namigadde from the UK back to Uganda, we believe it is imperative that "The Family" be exposed not only for their role as organizer of the National Prayer Breakfast, but for their relationship with many of our legislators and their influence on world affairs, including the annihilation of LGBT people worldwide.

      While its organizers would have you believe the National Prayer Breakfast is an ecumenical gathering absent a policy agenda, it is in fact the tentpole event of the year for the clandestine operation "The Family". This fringe group uses the visibility and support from the National Prayer Breakfast (attended by many politicians and business leaders) and other events to further its world-wide campaign against gay folk. Associates of
      "The Family" continue to promote a proposed law that would imprison for life and murder
      LGBT people—just for being who they are—
      while also criminalizing knowing an LGBT person without reporting them.

      "The Family" has invested much in mentoring current and future world leaders, including David Bahati, a Ugandan legislator and author of the Ugandan anti-homosexuality bill (a.k.a. the Ugandan "Kill the Gays" bill).

      On the morning of February 3, we'll gather on the sidewalk outside the Prayer Breakfast to educate the attendees on "The Family's" role in this annual event, to stand up to their bigotry, and to stop the Family's interference in Ugandan affairs, which itself has been called a trial run for what they want to happen in the U.S.

      Join GetEQUAL DC for coffee, donuts, protest and solidarity -
      A Breakfast Without Bigotry
      To RSVP Click Here: http://on.fb.me/flNY4B or e-mail
      GetEQUAL DC at GetEQUAL.wdc@....

      Bring signs, banners and your voice!

      To learn more about this issue, visit the links below:
      http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/2011/01/26/30006 (Ugandan LGBT Advocate Murdered; Had Been Named By "Hang Them" Tabloid)
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12295718 (Uganda gay rights activist David Kato killed)
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/26/brenda-namigadde-deportation-fear-uganda (Fears for safety of Ugandan lesbian due to be deported)
      http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34362943/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/ (Rachel Maddow's show with an interview of "The Family" member sponsoring the Uganda anti-gay bill)