Re: place of the first deadly sin

  • The_Dhampire_LOGOS
    Message 1 of 69 , Jul 1, 2009
      --- In achristianvsatheistclub@yahoogroups.com, dolphinpeople <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > --- In achristianvsatheistclub@yahoogroups.com, "mailmancom2000" <mailmancom2000@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In achristianvsatheistclub@yahoogroups.com, dolphinpeople <no_reply@> wrote:

      > > > There is a difference between intrinsic traits that harm other people and those that do not. You know, ... your right to swing your fist stops at the other person's nose...
      > > >

      > > Where does your sense that this is so come from? If we are just naturalistic animals acting according to our nature then who are YOU to say I "ought" not punch another in the nose?
      > >
      > > thanks
      > > bob
      > >

      > I'm "another".
      >
      > Humans figured out how to get along in company with each other over a long, long time.
      >
      > It is optimal to our species in the long run to make a rule that we do not harm each other. It's the only way we can build the infrastructure that makes us prosper. Otherwise we would still be tribes with warlords, using eye-for-an-eye justice.

      Yup, primative.

      If you'll notice, Bob has the typical view of theists who ask the questions he is asking, that is, he seems to be assuming that one either shows deference and submission towards some presumed authoritorian magic spirit that one cannot question, or the necessary alternative is either anarchy and chaos or arbitrary unjustifiable ideas. He believes that people must defer to 'god' or be immoral because their ideas of good and bad are completely arbitrary and therefore meaningless and unjustifiable.

      Of course, what's missing from his consideration, both sides of it, is any real process of reasoning. Modernity itself provides us with evidence that some ideas are justifiable and good, and others are bad and unjustifiable.

      Indeed, what can be said to be virtually arbitrary is the idea of morality based on what an invisible, occult (hidden), ineffable, inscrutable, mysterious so-called being wants, as we can see by the countless ideas purveyed by the countless different denominations in countless different religions around the world.

      LOGOS
    • The_Dhampire_LOGOS
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 9, 2009
        I think I'll worship Tom Cruise.

        Ya know...get a jump on the competition before it's too late.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgRh0tpAus

        ;-)

        LOGOS