Re: Making Our Own Heaven - Makow

  • jill
    Message 1 of 108 , Mar 1, 2006
      lord_of_the_munch wrote of world infant mortality rates:
      <<Wow! A whole 0.3% difference from top to bottom. Whoa, 2 and one
      half babies more out of one thousand will die if born in the US than
      if born in Finland. All things considered, I'd rather take my chances
      to be born in the good old US of A.>>

      LOL! Whoa, what a huge disparity, munch! Just what "all things
      considered" are you referencing now?

      A few days ago you quoted 4 "statistics" that were actually an uncited
      editorial snippet from an absolutist (US of A) laissez-faire
      capitalism site. In truth, the site's "stats" included progress in
      developed nations in an attempt to skew the "benefits" unregulated
      international "trade" has supposedly bestowed on the Third World. When
      I pointed out the fallacious & opinionated nature of those informal
      "stats" (twice), you failed to provide any support whatsoever for
      their basis in factual reality, only repeating, "facts are facts"..

      Ken has provided hard & cited facts on infant mortality, which
      included NO undeveloped countries. Why are you prompted to minimize
      the fact that America, boasting the best medical facilities,
      personnel, & research in the world, has an abysmally low 28th placing?

      Nationalistic bigotry involved? Why provide "top to bottom"
      apologetics? If you need more pertinent contrast: in 1800, American
      infant mortality was 55 per 1000; as of 2003, Sierra Leone's rate was
      166 per 1000. Besides, why should libertarians care about a
      precipitous rise in C-sections or somebody else burying a dead kid,
      when they'd have to pay a statistical amount of tax to educate the
      brat anyway? ~jill

      http://tinyurl.com/le9qa
      http://unstats.un.org/unsd/mi/mi_series_results.asp?rowId=562
    • lord_of_the_munch
      Message 108 of 108 , Mar 6, 2006
        --- In achristianvsatheistclub@yahoogroups.com, Eoghan <eoghan69r@...>
        wrote:

        > Still with this nonsense.
        >
        > Have you managed to figure out why Americans pay more for less
        > healthcare than the rest of us?
        >
        > My healthcare coverage is funded entirely through the state, and it
        > costs less than half of yours.
        > Eoghan

        Yup, sure have. You don't even pay taxes. Any freebie is a good deal
        to you.