Does happiness come in a golden bowl?

  • ASHOK GOLLERKERI
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
      Wealth brings happiness. This is perhaps one of the most widespread
      misconceptions among human beings all over the world. Is it really
      so? Does happiness come in a golden bowl?

      One sees many people living from hand to mouth, still find meaning in
      their lives, still cheerful, still smiling, still happy, happy
      inspite of all of their struggles and limitations. Maybe, one good
      dinner a year is an occasion to remember, with daily life being mere
      survival. Still, there are smiles, there is sharing, there is caring,
      there is happiness. On the other hand, there are wealthy people,
      unimaginably wealthy, who need to pop sleeping tablets to sleep, who
      need a drink everyday to soothe their frayed nerves, who feel
      insecure about sharing even a miniscule part of their wealth, who
      feel unhappy and miserable often, who can care and share only a
      little with great difficulty. Why? How?

      Such a person has money and affluence but deep rooted fear
      and insecurity. They are materially affluent but poverty has taken
      hold in their mind. They have the fear and insecurity of a poor man.
      They don't have his carefree and joyful moments either.
      Why does wealth impose such burdens? Why can wealth become the
      source of our problems? Father and son fighting, husband and wife
      parting ways, siblings at daggers drawn, kidnappings for ransom, sex
      for fame and money, marriage for money, these are some hard but
      unpalatable facts of the world, as we often see it today. Why does
      wealth have the potential to create trouble in a human being's life?

      Wealth is an asset but if and only if, there is wisdom and
      the diligence to use money wisely. Money is a good servant but a bad
      master. Power is nothing without control. What if a man who has
      tonnes of money has no control over his own mind? He is driven by his
      turbulent emotions, passing whimsicalities, his driving passions, his
      inflated self image, his unbalanced thinking, obsolete memories, his
      fears and hopes, his memory and imagination. If he has money and
      lacks wisdom, lacks clear and balanced thinking, well regulated
      emotions, well planned action, the money and its power can entangle
      him in innumerable complications and bring him untold misery. We see
      many examples of this kind in our daily life. Money becomes a curse
      rather than a blessing. Such an ignorant and unwise man might have
      stayed out of trouble if his pockets were empty.

      Obviously, then, money is only a tool, a neutral tool, a double edged
      tool. Its rightful use depends on our maturity and wisdom. It can be
      an extremely useful servant or a foolish and merciless master.
      In our societies, man needs some money to buy himself food, water and
      shelter. This is the rightful use of money. However, money does not
      guarantee happiness and peace of mind. Money can buy servants but
      cannot buy loyal service, it can buy a lover but cannot buy love, it
      can buy a wife but it cannot buy her love and loyalty. Obviously,
      money has limitations. The human being's needs go beyond the merely
      physical. His mind yearns for companionship and his heart yearns for
      love. These do not necessarily come with money.

      Further, it is clear that money has little to do with happiness.
      Wealth can bring happiness or misery. If a man has food to eat, clean
      air to breathe, water to drink, a shelter to stay, people to love and
      love him, why does he need money? It is the fulfillment of man's
      basic and natural needs, his development, his increasing self
      awareness and self mastery that lead him to lasting fulfillment,
      bliss and joy. The accumulation of money may be an accumulation of
      fear but is certainly not the key to happiness. Indeed, happiness
      does not come in a golden bowl. When the mind is free from conflict,
      there is happiness.

      Ashok Gollerkeri

      ashok_gollerkeri@...

    • Ari
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
        Since I'm not wealthy and am not likely to be, I can't comment.

        --- In achangewilldoyougood@y..., "ASHOK GOLLERKERI"

      • ASHOK GOLLERKERI
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
          Ari,you are lucky...less clinging, nearer to real
          happiness and contentment.

          =====
          Love and best wishes,

          Ashok Gollerkeri

          ashok_gollerkeri@...

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • mike
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
            Hello Ashok Gollerkeri,

            I must say that you are a beautiful writer and those are truly words of wisdom in all your writings. I can not recollect reading such magnificent writing at any point of my life. Also rebel without a clue has words of wisdom. Your ideas were like a powerful wind spreading love every where. If more people would live by them we would have happier more fulfilled lives. It is good that you are attempting to raise up that bar, were our society needs to be at. I am going to try and move increasingly more towards emptiness bring love and contentment to my life and away from loneliness and desires. Love is what real matters in our lives not money, power or fame. We need to give to others by whatever method we can to be a more peaceable caring society. We need all the basics but we also need some things for entertainment and leisure activities.

            Mike

            PS: I can tell you have a great personality.

          • ASHOK GOLLERKERI
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
              Thanks Mike. Your kind words of appreciation have touched my heart.
              Actually, I write spontaneously with little or no editing. It gives
              me great pleasure to write and to share. The greatest pleasure is to
              know that it touches so many hearts. I have received letters from
              people all over the world about how my writing has touched their
              hearts. Many have expressed pleasure and gratitude. This has
              motivated me to continue writing. Thanks for your feedback, Mike.
              Keep in touch.

              Ashok Gollerkeri

              ashok_gollerkeri@...

              PS: Check out my group, link given below and join if you want to. You
              are most welcome to join us and contribute your views too. The
              archives are public and have all my essays. Best wishes..Ashok.
            • Inder Pal S Khurana
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
                hi ashok
                that was really good artcile by you.

                bye
                Inder Pal
                India
> [...]
                > can buy a wife but it cannot buy her love and loyalty. Obviously,
                > money has limitations. The human being's needs go beyond the merely
                > physical. His mind yearns for companionship and his heart yearns for
                > love. These do not necessarily come with money.
                >

                > Further, it is clear that money has little to do with happiness.
                > Wealth can bring happiness or misery. If a man has food to eat, clean
                > air to breathe, water to drink, a shelter to stay, people to love and
                > love him, why does he need money? It is the fulfillment of man's
                > basic and natural needs, his development, his increasing self
                > awareness and self mastery that lead him to lasting fulfillment,
                > bliss and joy. The accumulation of money may be an accumulation of
                > fear but is certainly not the key to happiness. Indeed, happiness
                > does not come in a golden bowl. When the mind is free from conflict,

              • ASHOK GOLLERKERI
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
                  Thanks, Inder, for your feedback. Keep in touch.
                  Have a look at my group. Join if you like it. Link is
                  given below.

                  =====
                  Love and best wishes,

                  Ashok Gollerkeri