Keep your dreams!

  • teddybear1937
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2002
      Keep Your Dream
      (Author Unknown)
      I have a friend named Monty Roberts who owns a horse ranch in San
      Ysidro. He
      has let me use his house to put on fundraising events to raise money
      for youth at
      risk programs.
      The last time I was there he introduced me by saying, "I want to tell
      you why I let
      Jack use my house. It all goes back to a story about a young man who
      was the
      son of an itinerant horse trainer who would go from stable to stable,
      racetrack to
      racetrack, farm to farm and ranch to ranch, and training horses. As a
      result, the
      boy's high school career was continually interrupted. When he was a
      senior, he
      was asked to write a paper about what he wanted to be and do when he
      grew
      up.
      "That night he wrote a seven-page paper describing his goal of
      someday owning
      a horse ranch. He wrote about his dream in great detail and he even
      drew a
      diagram of a 200-acre ranch, showing the location of all the
      buildings, the
      stables and the track. Then he drew a detailed floor plan for a 4,000-
      square-foot
      house that would sit on a 200-acre dream ranch.
      "He put a great deal of his heart into the project and the next day
      he handed it in
      to his teacher. Two days later he received his paper back. On the
      front page was
      a large red F with a note that read, 'See me after class.' The boy
      with the dream
      went to see the teacher after class and asked, 'Why did I receive an
      F?'
      "The teacher said, 'This is an unrealistic dream for a young boy like
      you. You
      have no money. You come from an itinerant family. You have no
      resources.
      Owning a horse ranch requires a lot of money. You have to buy the
      land. You
      have to pay for the original breeding stock and later you'll have to
      pay large stud
      fees. There's no way you could ever do it.' Then the teacher
      added, 'If you will
      rewrite this paper with a more realistic goal, I will reconsider your
      grade.'
      "The boy went home and thought about it long and hard. He asked his
      father
      what he should do. His father said, 'Look, son, you have to make up
      your own
      mind on this. However, I think it is a very important decision for
      you.' Finally,
      after sitting with it for a week, the boy turned in the same paper,
      making no
      changes at all.
      He stated, 'You can keep the F and I´ll keep my dream.'"
      Monty then turned to the assembled group and said, "I tell you this
      story
      because you are sitting in my 4,000-square-foot house in the middle
      of my
      200-acre horse ranch. I still have that school paper framed over the
      fireplace."
      He added, "The best part of the story is that two summers ago that
      same
      schoolteacher brought 30 kids to camp out on my ranch for a week."
      When the teacher was leaving, he said, 'Look, Monty, I can tell you
      this now.
      When I was your teacher, I was something of a dream stealer. During
      those
      years I stole a lot of kids' dreams. Fortunately you had enough
      gumption not to
      give up on yours.'"
      "Don't let anyone steal your dreams. Follow your heart, no matter
      what."