t.v. and history... good or ?

  • Mike t
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2009
      Imagine for a moment, John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon having their famous debate/s. Now imagine that you are in a room listening to them on the radio.

      How would your perceptions of the two men develop? How would they be the same, and how would they be different?

      Would men and women vote for either man in the same percentages?

      Not seeing JFKs face... how would that effect the viewers experience of the man?

      Not seeing Nixon's dark beard that needed reshaving several times a day... did that help him or hurt him?

      What about LBJ? Would he have beaten Goldwater w/o tv?

      Would Carter have been elected?

      How about Ronald Reagan? How would our perceptions of the man have differed without his image constantly being with us?

      John McCain, vs Barrack Obama... would the outcome be different with our hearing their voices vs seeing their faces?

      Next question...

      without tv, how many of these individuals would have ever been elected or even nominated?

      As we look at the process of television and the massive infusion of funds placed into it to direct our attention and influence our choices, is it a neutral force, for us.. OR FOR THAT MATTER, for our children?

      Imagine LISTENING to a campaign, instead of seeing it. How differently might you percieve people?

      Could someone as ugly as an old army boot get elected without the tv but not with it?

      Would we be better able to HONESTLY TELL if they are answering questions factually and honestly vs manipulating us with charm, deception, redirection of our attention, and the hollow suggestion of an answer where none truly exists?

      Would we be better off LISTENING with our eyes closed and seeking the substance instead of being visually DIRECTED by media masters?
    • jay t
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2009
        I actually think a good politician would revert to the barnstorming days of railroad stops and community meetings, they can influence more people in person perhaps than on T.V. The memory good or bad from a live performance beats T.V any time.

        --- In achangewilldoyougood@yahoogroups.com, "Mike t" <michaelpault@...> wrote:

        > Imagine for a moment, John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon having their famous debate/s. Now imagine that you are in a room listening to them on the radio.
        >
        > How would your perceptions of the two men develop? How would they be the same, and how would they be different?
        >
        > Would men and women vote for either man in the same percentages?
        >
        > Not seeing JFKs face... how would that effect the viewers experience of the man?
        >
        > Not seeing Nixon's dark beard that needed reshaving several times a day... did that help him or hurt him?
        >
        > What about LBJ? Would he have beaten Goldwater w/o tv?
        >
        > Would Carter have been elected?
        >
        > How about Ronald Reagan? How would our perceptions of the man have differed without his image constantly being with us?
        >

        > John McCain, vs Barrack Obama... would the outcome be different with our hearing their voices vs seeing their faces?

        > Next question...
        >
        > without tv, how many of these individuals would have ever been elected or even nominated?
        >
        > As we look at the process of television and the massive infusion of funds placed into it to direct our attention and influence our choices, is it a neutral force, for us.. OR FOR THAT MATTER, for our children?
        >
        > Imagine LISTENING to a campaign, instead of seeing it. How differently might you percieve people?
        >
        > Could someone as ugly as an old army boot get elected without the tv but not with it?
        >
        > Would we be better able to HONESTLY TELL if they are answering questions factually and honestly vs manipulating us with charm, deception, redirection of our attention, and the hollow suggestion of an answer where none truly exists?
        >
        > Would we be better off LISTENING with our eyes closed and seeking the substance instead of being visually DIRECTED by media masters?

      • Michael traster
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2009
          good point. Perhaps it would be a bit tougher to choreograph their

          ACTING PERFORMANCES.

          MikeT.